Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

Lmao at that expected line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Hodgepodge posted:

this is an extremely finnish version of persona that involves drinking reindeer piss isn't it

at my old job i used to organize friday happy hours with some of my friends in the department. one guy came once and told me this crazy story about how he and his wife went on vacation in finland. they had rented a car to check out a national park or something and were driving along a backroad when a reindeer leapt out in front of the car. he couldn't stop in time and hit the reindeer.

they are stopped wondering wtf to do because there's this half dead reindeer there and a local kindly stops to help them out. the dude comes up, puts a knife in my coworkers hand and says,

YOU HIT REINDEER? YOU KEEL REINDEER!

so my dude killed the reindeer

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

clockwork chaos posted:

Lmao at that expected line

yeah that's expected deaths in an average year. flu season really does gently caress things up

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Missouri already gave up on masks and you get dirty looks if you wear them because masks make you look like a pussy

Next Wednesday will probably be a cool day for oops all coronas

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Sunny Side Up posted:

With wedding invitations and all this other poo poo now planned for June we had to set an “are we the crazy ones?” date. Picked 4 weeks from Memorial Day. If cases remain stagnant or decreasing after Memorial Day and all this then we gotta go back to some semblance of normal.

Feeling pretty extreme cognitive dissonance/anxiety. Am I paranoid? It’s different from most “nutty” stuff in that I can’t believe it quietly or recommend a good book (“oh that’s not a theory, go read Killing Hope!”).

What data would you base this decision on?

the pandemic never stopped. people are acting like it's the monster in hitchhikers guide that won't eat you if you close your eyes

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lol South Carolina is just pretending covid deaths don't exist

pink is deaths in excess of seasonal average. shaded are identified covid deaths.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

SKULL.GIF posted:

My understanding is that he's not planning a wedding, he's just picking a date by which if things haven't gotten worse he's going to cool down all the covid precautions and stuff

This—-it’s just colossal pressure from family. We had a baby 3/8 that no one has seen, there’s a family wedding late June, and both our families are redneck right wing idiots. Until it affects them personally and unambiguously they won’t understand. My wife’s mom, mom’s parents (in their 70s), and aunt+uncle are flying down to FL next weekend to go to Clearwater Beach. WHY?!?! I want to scream.

To answer the previous poster, no, none of that data matters to these people and it‘s a lot of pressure on us when everyone in your personal and professional life (except my close friends) are treating you like you’re a stupid child for not wanting a stroke or a few weeks in the ICU or your 11-week-old to suffer respiratory failure.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sunny Side Up posted:

With wedding invitations and all this other poo poo now planned for June we had to set an “are we the crazy ones?” date. Picked 4 weeks from Memorial Day. If cases remain stagnant or decreasing after Memorial Day and all this then we gotta go back to some semblance of normal.

Feeling pretty extreme cognitive dissonance/anxiety. Am I paranoid? It’s different from most “nutty” stuff in that I can’t believe it quietly or recommend a good book (“oh that’s not a theory, go read Killing Hope!”).

What data would you base this decision on?

I would base it on the data that cases are not stagnant. Period. Deciding that a wedding is too dangerous for the guests is not "paranoid", it's "doing what the scientists who know this poo poo recommend".

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Sunny Side Up posted:

This—-it’s just colossal pressure from family. We had a baby 3/8 that no one has seen, there’s a family wedding late June, and both our families are redneck right wing idiots. Until it affects them personally and unambiguously they won’t understand. My wife’s mom, mom’s parents (in their 70s), and aunt+uncle are flying down to FL next weekend to go to Clearwater Beach. WHY?!?! I want to scream.

To answer the previous poster, no, none of that data matters to these people and it‘s a lot of pressure on us when everyone in your personal and professional life (except my close friends) are treating you like you’re a stupid child for not wanting a stroke or a few weeks in the ICU or your 11-week-old to suffer respiratory failure.

Here's the "can I hang out with people" dashboard that one of the few sane governments in this country is publishing:
https://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/health/covid-19/data/key-indicators.aspx

So it's not a good idea yet and this in a city that actually has the outbreak more or less under control.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Nice story. So about 3:1 ratio of reported to total excess, and thays before it spread in the south

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

power word- Jeb! posted:

the pandemic never stopped. people are acting like it's the monster in hitchhikers guide that won't eat you if you close your eyes

I know this, but I feel like Cassandra. It’s tearing my brain apart and will hurt all my relationships if I can’t navigate this well. My wife and I both recognize reality vs perception.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

https://tounesnanews.com/2020/05/28/lake-of-the-ozarks-bar-owner-defends-his-wild-memorial-day-weekend-party-amid-covid-19-pandemic/
A Lake of the Ozarks bar owner who hosted a wild Memorial Day Weekend party is defending the event, saying no laws were broken because failure to observe social distancing ‘is not a crime’.

Gary Prewett, who runs Backwater Jack’s Bar and Grill in Osage Beach, Missouri, took to Facebook Tuesday – three days after his establishment held a ‘Zero Ducks Given’ party, where revelers squeezed into a pool and flouted social distancing guidelines.

Photos from Saturday’s event sparked widespread outrage, but Prewett insisted individuals had a right to attend the event, before explaining that he conducted non-contact temperature checks and provided bottles of hand sanitizer to keep party-goers safe.

‘We understand that there are many emotions and feelings involved on every side of the pandemic situation… [but] we stand by our decision to move forward with Memorial Day Weekend plans,’ Prewett wrote.

‘We love our customers and will continue to do our best to provide delicious food, drink, and entertainment’.

ugh like pink meat spilling out of a tube

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Make it a theme wedding. The theme? Hazmat suits

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

turning our nursing homes into charnel houses to protect profits

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
im imagining all the lozark pool parties where these dipshits are handing over wet, wadded up bills

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

dead gay comedy forums posted:

deffo

what would be our major advantage in comparison to the united states in that we have a much stronger federal government with far greater reach of action in states, a stronger centralized Union overall

but when the president is actively sabotaging proper procedures because bolsonaro is a supremely obtuse motherfucker, yeah, this happens

our weak federal system is prob why our number isn't as high as it could be when our pres is TRUHMP

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

seattle plague rat posted:

thats a rlly good idea too but my mom would kill me

better than covid killing her

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Sunny Side Up posted:

You're an adult... you're getting married. Tell your family to gently caress off this is your decision. Why the gently caress are you caving to their dumbass peer pressure????

This is up there with the goon asking if he should go to his band practice

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

Shageletic posted:

better than covid killing her

p sure living in mi today is worse for her health than maybe flying to BC fall 2021

but i do agree causing my mothers death would put a damper on my honeymoon

seattle plague rat has issued a correction as of 17:24 on May 30, 2020

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

50% Capacity Restaurants and Bars, GOING LIVE MONDAY! KEEP OPENIN' UP!

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
At what point does it stop being irresponsible to hang out with friends/random sex partners? I live in Chicago and the papers say we'll be soon entering Phase 3, where gatherings of less than 10 people are acceptable. But that's with masks, right?

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Xaris posted:

pretty much every trial of remdesivir has been a disaster and was causing rectal bleeding and potential other damage as side-effects. even if you test real earl, you really don't want to just give that poo poo if they aren't going to be critical, in which case it also did nothing. we knew this back in like jan/feb when china, taiwan, and singapore all were given free poo poo by gilead to trial it and discontinued it after showing no statistical improvements and only not good side-effects. later this also happened in america lol

like you know it's bad/ineffective when gilead wasn't even running propaganda and media narrative that it's some amazing wonder drug and pumping it up the chain of command to trump to tweet ALL AMERICAN CURE IS HERE!!!, not even they dared to get into a pump n dump narrative and kept quiet as gently caress

what sucks is that they do, actually, have an awesome drug that can totally cure fatal, currently incurable disease *in cats.*

But they absolutely refuse to license or sell it because that would lead to more usage data and might show up some side effects to worry about in humans.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2020/05/remdesivir-cats/611341/

Poor cats.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Civilized Fishbot posted:

At what point does it stop being irresponsible to hang out with friends/random sex partners? I live in Chicago and the papers say we'll be soon entering Phase 3, where gatherings of less than 10 people are acceptable. But that's with masks, right?

The riots are going to cause a spike and nothing will ever be safe again - proceed (into that rear end) with caution

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Sunny Side Up posted:

well gently caress man, i'm sorry.

but still, i'd suggest courthouse + ceremony next year just for your sake. whatever backlash you might get from your folks will be absolutely nothing compared to the personal guilt you'll feel if you have a wedding and a loved one dies of corona. even if they go out and deepthroat a doorknob it won't be on you. america is a death cult, the important thing is to make sure the non-cultists don't bear the guilt.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

You're an adult... you're getting married. Tell your family to gently caress off this is your decision. Why the gently caress are you caving to their dumbass peer pressure????

This is up there with the goon asking if he should go to his band practice

Not getting married, invited to a wedding. But we had a kid on 3/8. When people have thrown you a baby shower and helped you in the run up to the birth, and when they think the virus is done, they think you’re slighting them or being a child for not reciprocating with participation or support back to them.

Listen, my goon instincts from 19 years on SA tell me what to do from a utilitarian perspective. I don’t want to get this virus.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

uninterrupted posted:

but still, i'd suggest courthouse + ceremony next year just for your sake. whatever backlash you might get from your folks will be absolutely nothing compared to the personal guilt you'll feel if you have a wedding and a loved one dies of corona. even if they go out and deepthroat a doorknob it won't be on you. america is a death cult, the important thing is to make sure the non-cultists don't bear the guilt.

Thank you.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Civilized Fishbot posted:

prolonged indoor exposure is where the real danger is, so you should be fine

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Shageletic posted:

turning our nursing homes into charnel houses to protect profits

*rubs hands* "ha ha, imagine how high my profits will be once *checks notes* literally everyone in the retirement home I run is dead." *that meme where the despicable me guy suddenly realizes his plan is poo poo*

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
:twisted:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

America and Brazil will get a break from the news when India gets owned hard in June.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Quiet Feet posted:

*rubs hands* "ha ha, imagine how high my profits will be once *checks notes* literally everyone in the retirement home I run is dead." *that meme where the despicable me guy suddenly realizes his plan is poo poo*
Just trick all the old people into making the charity you run the heir to their fortunes, then more deaths supports your core business.

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

uninterrupted posted:

i work at a courthouse. the place is closed to the public, so you can’t get married there. idk what they are doing in chud states, but you absolutely don’t want to go anywhere near a courthouse that is open to the public right now

I’m actually getting married this June. the judge is coming to my backyard to do it and only my siblings and parents will be there. sucks cause I hate not being to invite anyone, but on the other hand, gently caress having to plan a huge massive, expensive wedding.

this crises is actually the perfect time for me to get married, if there ever was one

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

fosborb posted:

prolonged indoor exposure is where the real danger is, so you should be fine

Yeah goon sex probably isn't going to be prolonged so they should be fine

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

https://twitter.com/baltimoresun/status/1266758273430159361

maryland added yet another 1000 cases today, what a fuckin shock

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Steve Yun posted:

file transfer protocol!

gently caress YEAH! *nerd rages out and punches a cop*

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
gently caress the pysstem

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I'm loading mIRC and downloading quake 2 mother fuckers what are going to do about it?!

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Also :piss:

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

file transfer protocol!

sftp, gotta protect yourself ou there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Thoguh posted:

Lots of people in great health have died from this.

Cite your sources

Let's consider the possibilities:

a) All these politicians managed to avoid getting it despite travelling and interacting with many different people

b) the politicians DID get it but have a secret treatment available to them, unknown to anyone else

c) the politicians did get it and managed to be fine because they are in good health generally

"c" seems most likely to me personally