Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Last page people were talking about how nen couldn't possibly be unknown to the world given how strong and important it is and Killua crushing the Hunter exam was a gag about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hunter exams are basically recruitment for exceptional people who can then learn to be exceptional nen users. i'd imagine it is more of a formality to keep people like hisoka out as far as nen users go. the only really difficult part for a nen user would have been the stupid, petty sushi exam. if netero hadn't shown up hisoka was definitely going to murder those two gourmet hunters, and probably without much difficulty.

the absolute worthless scrub hunters, as seen on greed island, were probably like killua and cheesed their way in with nen.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the absolute worthless scrub hunters, as seen on greed island, were probably like killua and cheesed their way in with nen.

Those were "amateur" hunters, as in they were taught nen but didn't have a license. They usually speak with awe about "professional" hunters whenever they see one in action.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Eej posted:

It's easy to forget because he got it by default by knocking literally everyone out at the very start

The more I think about this the less the hunter exams make sense.

Chalk it up to power creep.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
wasnt the hunter exams always kinda a joke to any real nen user worth their salt? half the reason the hunter reforms were such a big deal was to bump up the quality of members and thats why tons of strong characters we come across arent apart of it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Professorjuggalo posted:

wasnt the hunter exams always kinda a joke to any real nen user worth their salt? half the reason the hunter reforms were such a big deal was to bump up the quality of members and thats why tons of strong characters we come across arent apart of it

the hunter association is a way to make sure superpowered psychos are on the inside pissing out

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Professorjuggalo posted:

Wasn’t there some undercurrent plot about how the exams need to change because the association is too top heavy? I haven’t re-read it in years so I could be wrong

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

I’m pretty sure the reasons the exams were an issue was because Netero, being low-key not the greatest person in the world, was A-OK with other not great people becoming hunters as long as they got through the exams, which is sort of a huge issue when terrible people like Hisoka and Illumi get licenses given they give you near impunity for murder.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

miniscule12 posted:

The more I think about this the less the hunter exams make sense.

Chalk it up to power creep.

Outside of Hisoka and Illumi, Killua coulda taken everyone at the previous exam before nen.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
If Gon somehow comes back it shouldn't be with nen. The only reason I'd want to see it is out of confidence for how good of a writer Togashi is and I'd love to know if he could pull it off in a satisfying way.

I'm grateful for what we've gotten and if Togashi's heart isn't in this project anymore or manga I hope he stays in storytelling and just writes books or something.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kild posted:

Outside of Hisoka and Illumi, Killua coulda taken everyone at the previous exam before nen.

Don't sleep on my boy Hanzo, he's got a longer career than Killua and presumably the skills to match. He's one of the only participants to realize they were being tailed by pro hunters and already a ninja assassin.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yea, it would have been a toss-up between Hanzo and Killua. Though at that point, Killua was still under Illumi's acupuncture Nen, so he might have actually backed down.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Brought To You By posted:

Don't sleep on my boy Hanzo, he's got a longer career than Killua and presumably the skills to match. He's one of the only participants to realize they were being tailed by pro hunters and already a ninja assassin.

Killua seemed very unimpressed with Hanzo.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Kild posted:

Killua seemed very unimpressed with Hanzo.

You sure? I’m pretty sure I remember him writing out the very elaborate power level flowchart that went:
Hisoka >>>> Hanzo >>>>>>>>> Me >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gon

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

You sure? I’m pretty sure I remember him writing out the very elaborate power level flowchart that went:
Hisoka >>>> Hanzo >>>>>>>>> Me >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gon

Ah, yeah I forgot he included Hanzo there.

I dont think his estimations are very accurate since he thought he could kill Netero and I don't think Hanzo is even close to Hisoka in the exam arc. He also thought he was humble on his own ranking and emphasized it's just an estimate.

Feat wise he didn't care about Hanzo's training and backstory, he intentionally ingested Tonpa's poison while Hanzo refused, and he dunked on Hanzo tailing him with the badge switch.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Early Killua was really cocky, but we also understand he has a tendency to keep his estimates of people at the highest he can imagine. But Netero was also sandbagging the entire time he was present during the exam arc so it's not like I'd fault Killua for thinking he had a chance. That aside, Hanzo did come across as a very capable individual although he was also used at the butt of some early jokes. The badge one was an accident rather than an intentional act on Killua's part, but Hanzo still jumps like 30 feet into the air to retrieve it all before knowing nen which is very impressive.

For Hanzo's part he has nothing to prove to someone like Tonpa so he doesn't need to drink anything laced with anything just because. Outside of that, the only thing Killua really had to say against Hanzo was that he took longer to start killing than Killua did himself which isn't a statement of skill. Killua acknowledges that Hanzo could have made Gon concede if he had wanted too. Between what little we've seen of Hanzo, and the fact that only he and Kurapika had learned Nen even before Gon and Killua got a pass from Wing. I don't think Killua's assessment is terribly off base, at least for that point in time.

And I mean come on. He's a literal ninja that's already cool enough.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Killua didn't know poo poo about nen at the time, so of course this decrepit old man is easy pickings

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Why didn’t killua’s parents teach him nen again? Just to more effectively torture him?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jon Joe posted:

Why didn’t killua’s parents teach him nen again? Just to more effectively torture him?

Presumably he was suppose to learn it after his parents made him climb the tower but he hosed off to eat a billion candy bars instead of getting a nen bath.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Jon Joe posted:

It's the one thing they have to keep him in check and he's not exactly into the grand destiny they have planned for him.

I imagine they would have taught him once he fully committed to the family business. Zushi is the only other young person we see learning Nen right?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
We don't see him training on-screen, but Kalluto (Killua's little brother) was capable enough in Nen to join the Spiders at age 10, and is currently on the whale ship.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Schubalts posted:

We don't see him training on-screen, but Kalluto (Killua's little brother) was capable enough in Nen to join the Spiders at age 10, and is currently on the whale ship.

that's kind of power creepy but Killua is absolutely good enough to be in the Spider's and it's not as though he's been practicing for that long

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Killua is the chosen successor of the family and Sylvia knows that he wouldn't be able to coerce his son to do anything so the most effective way to mold Killua into being the next head is to let him figure out he wants it on his own including walking into a Nen baptism I guess.

On paper that does sound like a step removed from parental neglect Ging style but he does positively teach Killua things and I guess he's just relying on the ol' Assassin Blood to eventually bring him back again.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
My impression is that the exam is "harder" on people who know nen, so that being not that great but knowing nen isn't enough to get you in. This is why it was OK for a previous examiner to do a duel with Hisoka in the middle of the exam, and how some of the tasks can be easily re arranged to make things harder on specific people.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

that's kind of power creepy but Killua is absolutely good enough to be in the Spider's and it's not as though he's been practicing for that long

Nobunaga did invite Gon and Killua to join them during Yorknew, despite basically every troupe member except maybe Kortopi handily outclassing both of them combined at that point.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TriffTshngo posted:

Nobunaga did invite Gon and Killua to join them during Yorknew, despite basically every troupe member except maybe Kortopi handily outclassing both of them combined at that point.

They did not even have unique powers at that point.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I'd say that's entirely due to his lightning form, though. He's still way behind the spiders on basic nen manipulation.

Sure, you don't need to be Hisoka level to qualify, but the only two member I could see him beating re: power level are Kortopi and Shalnark, and the latter isn't even a guarantee. Not that we'll know if that was ever the case. :v:

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

TriffTshngo posted:

Wouldn't you? Those kids seem like a hoot and they're good enough not to get killed that easily.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

Kalluto having that realization despite him knowing nen for just as long, if not longer than Killua will never not get a chuckle out of me. Also because all the other troupe members were taking bets on whether Feitan would die at the same time.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jon Joe posted:

I was under the impression that Zoldyks don’t get formally taught Nen and that Killua was supposed to learn it through initiation in Heaven’s Arena, only that Killua being the family scion backfired because he cleared the first 100 rounds as a dumb six year old who hosed off to spend his money on candy.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Last Celebration posted:

I was under the impression that Zoldyks don’t get formally taught Nen and that Killua was supposed to learn it through initiation in Heaven’s Arena, only that Killua being the family scion backfired because he cleared the first 100 rounds as a dumb six year old who hosed off to spend his money on candy.

There was also Illumi's needle that made Killua jump away like a frightened cat any time someone directed hostile nen toward him, so he probably would've avoided getting initiated for a long time.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Killua was also told not to go to the 200th floor of the arena when he was dropped off as a kid so I don't think they actually planned for him to be introduced to nen at that time in his training.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not sure how far the zoldyck spartan training goes. the arena baptisms carried a high risk of death and mutilation for no particular benefit, and killua wouldn't have been exempt. killua's family wants him to go through horrible physical and mental trauma, not lose a limb.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Killua was also told not to go to the 200th floor of the arena when he was dropped off as a kid so I don't think they actually planned for him to be introduced to nen at that time in his training.

Wait, I thought his dad was super pissed at him when he left before the 200th floor because he got bored. That’s what I remember at least

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm not sure how far the zoldyck spartan training goes. the arena baptisms carried a high risk of death and mutilation for no particular benefit, and killua wouldn't have been exempt. killua's family wants him to go through horrible physical and mental trauma, not lose a limb.

To be honest I always had the impression that the main trio of Heaven’s Arena antagonists were just scrubs who clawed their way though the arena gradually instead of blitzing that poo poo super hard like Gon and Killua did, which explains why getting hit by someone worth a poo poo caused terrible terrible injuries instead of Gon just getting a broken arm and Kastro being hale and hearty in his Hisoka rematch.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the standard was some spiteful rear end in a top hat hitting newcomers with a nen attack, because they got the same treatment. even scrubs like those 3 in the arena could easily cripple anyone who wasn't protected by aura. also, not everyone even got the baptism. people who already used nen didn't need to deal with that poo poo.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Even a weak nen user could easily tear a person apart with it, it wouldn't matter how weak they were before getting nen, just an assault with it could've easily maimed either or of them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

No he was told to get to the 200th floor. Then he left the second he got there.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

No he was told to get to the 200th floor. Then he left the second he got there.

Viz translation says "My Dad left me here Penniless when I was six. And I had to stay until I reached the 200th floor". I don't think reaching the floor meant that Silva also wanted to get into a match on that one. All Killua had to do was qualify for it and leave which is what he says he did in the following chapters.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

as a fan of yu yu hakusho, i've been meaning to check this out for nearly 2 decades. i read the manga in the late 00s but only got to the tournament at the tower part of the story. i'm watching the anime right now and i'm at the Greed Island arci was really enjoying the series up until this point. but it's a little difficult for me to suspend my disbelief with the way this arc works. for example, apparently all the main characters have basically digitized their minds into this video game, and while in the game, nen apparently still works? but there's also like multiple additional separate rules with the way this video game world operates. i dunno, it's a little difficult to keep track and just seems too incoherent/unbelievable imo

so i have to ask...should i keep going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Yes