Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
Tethys is great being only size 1 and providing a lot of power. She is vulnerable to sweep.

I wouldn't say the hellhorned champion is slightly worse, I'd say significantly worse. The hellhorned champion is pretty much just as fragile, takes more space, and does less without significant buffs. Tethys only need helps with spikes and sweep units. The frostbite Tethys does great single target damage, so much so that I've had boss plans for the second and third floor that were often unnecessary.

I've just hit covenant 18 and honestly I wish there was a difficulty option that made the enemies harder without flooding your deck with a stupid amount of mediocre/bad cards. The oversized deck adds an unfun RNG element were you may end up screwed with no feasible paths forward.

Also: Pyrewings are by far the worst enemy in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I love this card. Double upgrade it before using it, buff and dupe it whenever possible, and you pretty much can't lose.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
drat, Dante is a monster. After you complete his quest, he joins you and gives you his cloak as an artifact. The cloak is +2 magic power per blight in your deck (including the three he put there in the first place). As a unit, he's a 3/10 that gets 1 stack of multihit per blight in your deck.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Smiling Demon posted:

Tethys only need helps with spikes and sweep units.

ok but those are run-ending weaknesses if you hit a boss with them. the tanky champions allow you to take more challenges at every stage of the game in regular fights, and have no particular weaknesses against any bosses.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TastyLemonDrops posted:

drat, Dante is a monster. After you complete his quest, he joins you and gives you his cloak as an artifact. The cloak is +2 magic power per blight in your deck (including the three he put there in the first place). As a unit, he's a 3/10 that gets 1 stack of multihit per blight in your deck.

Yeah if you can give Dante one of the big damage/Hp upgrades he basically becomes a tiny god.

Especially if you can duplicate him.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm pretty bored of this game after 20 hours and a bunch of wins. Umbra and hellhorned are the only factions that I personally don't find a snoozefest to play and I burned out pretty quick on Umbra/Hellhorned and Hellhorned/Umbra runs - it's virtually impossible to lose but every run plays out the same way :shrug: You can pick pretty much any unit in the game and just drop morsels and morselmakers and morselmasters behind it all day and it will kill everything

I would agree about the morsels until that one faction where that one enemy gains 10 armor per death and he sees 3+ morsels being eating every floor.

I always lose to that guy in particular because my dudes have no morsel buffs in the beginning so it's very hard to fight him. When I had the silence spell, it was easy and then did not need to care about him seeing morsel death later on (because front friendly character always had 30+ attack at that point)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Double Bill posted:

I love this card. Double upgrade it before using it, buff and dupe it whenever possible, and you pretty much can't lose.

Yeah I just discovered this card my last run and was able to give it the multistrike upgrade right at the start. And I was playing Wax.

By the end of my run they were doing stupid amounts of damage.

Agreed with everyone else's comments about Hellhorn, their champion is really hard to use well compared to every other deck where it's a lot easier to patch up and weakness they have. He just kinda blows.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Yeah, I'm up to Covenant 10 now and none of my wins are with Hellhorned as my main faction (I have Awoken/Hellhorned, Umbra/Awoken, and all the combos of Stygian and Melting main down). With Hellhorned I feel like I'm building a deck to succeed in spite of my champion instead of because of him.

Also Spikedriver Colony is indeed amazing.

Edit: Had a couple of the wins misremembered.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 30, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Hellhorned Champ I always just lean into the glass cannon bullshit. He's great fun in a Rage deck.

I'm not saying it's good, it's not, but it's fun.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I lose two thirds of the time on c1. Are there any videos of people being good at this game? I need to know what I'm missing.

The dupe-5 thing keeps ruining my run and I don't care because I love it. If they want to nerf it, which they shouldn't, what they could do is x5 dupe a random non-starting card in your deck and make them all cost -1, or maybe make it so upgrading one of them upgrades all of them.

But yeah the hellhorned champion is pretty mediocre. He even looks less cool.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ragnar34 posted:

The dupe-5 thing keeps ruining my run and I don't care because I love it. If they want to nerf it, which they shouldn't, what they could do is x5 dupe a random non-starting card in your deck and make them all cost -1, or maybe make it so upgrading one of them upgrades all of them.

It's the most broken event in the game and if you've upgraded sensibly it pretty much instantly wins the game for you. I first got it on a Glimmer with two +10s on it and smashed everything, and that's not even close to the best poo poo you can pull off.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ragnar34 posted:

I lose two thirds of the time on c1. Are there any videos of people being good at this game? I need to know what I'm missing.

The biggest piece of advice I can think of is to mercilessly cull your deck down to just the best/upgraded cards. If your deck is small enough you don't need duplicates of cards (besides creatures, obviously)

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Can someone give me some advice for Umbra? They just seem super fiddly, and I can't figure out how to consistently make strong floors with them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Patrick Spens posted:

Can someone give me some advice for Umbra? They just seem super fiddly, and I can't figure out how to consistently make strong floors with them.

Use your champ on the bottom floor to basically build time. You want a Gorger (Permanent stat increase one, lifesteal one or shield one) and either a Morselmaker or Morselmaster on the top floor (and mid-floor if you can get them)

Then basically beef the hell out of the Gorger and win. I usually slap Multi-attack and some kind of HP increase on them. That's by far the simplest way to win.

You can replace the Gorger with your Champ if you don't get one. Just make sure not to go full Monstrous upgrades on your champ or you won't have the ability to summon Morsels on its floor without doing both +capacity upgrades or lucking into +capacity cards

Also the Morsels will absolutely still trigger the Harvest buff a lot of Melted have which can lead to some hilarious combos.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

But yeah the hellhorned champion is pretty mediocre. He even looks less cool.

Filthy Robot plays C25 and tends to explain a lot. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLG0Nfn_ZKeH8Q-s4UiL3gQ/videos

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Currently my only gripe is I wish the enemy designs were more distinctive: even more exagerrated shapes or colours, maybe. Yes, all of them have their info out immediately, but I still mouse over every enemy because their "same clan" design makes it all sort of blur over in my brain.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
I hit the dupe a card 5 times event when I had upgraded Draff and Reform Rector. Brutal.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is it just me or is there no meaningful reason not to fill your deck with stings alongside whatever other strategy you've got going on?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ragnar34 posted:

Is it just me or is there no meaningful reason not to fill your deck with stings alongside whatever other strategy you've got going on?
If you've got other draw power going on, it could make you hit hand limit for very little benefit? IDK?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Patrick Spens posted:

To add to what was already said, remember that your morsel units can be used as chump blockers instead if that is better for the situation at hand.

Also, Umbra's buff cards that also cause the emberdrain debuff are really good, since at worst you can just use them on a morsel that will get eaten that turn, and they generally all provide huge damage in boss encounters either via longevity (the damage shield and lifesteal ones) or pure damage (perils of production and furnace tap). Perils of Production in particular can help bail you out of situations where you let emberdrain stick around, or can help fuel power plays with X cards or some of the more expensive units.

Speaking of expensive units, I won a little bit ago on Covenant 10 with Awoken/Umbra by getting Sketches of Salvation as my first artifact (pull 4 random creatures from your deck and plop them on the middle floor) and then making it so that my only four units in the deck were 3 Shadowsieges with Quick and a certain special event unit forged with a largestone who would eventually also get Quick each fight thanks to the Awoken's version of the tome spell. Super fun run.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Ragnar34 posted:

it's usually ok but there are some downsides if you get excessive with it.

the stings lower your chance of drawing a good minion on turn one, which can be important

the other thing is consistency. if the stings are distributed badly when the deck is shuffled (say 5 of them at the very end of your draw pile) you will run into turns where you have lots of stings to play and nothing to spend ember on. then next turn you will have 10 cards but they all cost ember, so you can't play most of them.

you will definitely feel this sometimes if you run a deck with a stupid number of stings.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Unlocked Umbra today and it's definitely my new favorite faction. I can see it getting old though, seems to me like the only effective strategy is spamming as many morsels as possible on the demons that benefit from eating them. Highlight so far was going all in on monstrous champion, then giving him quick and multiattack in every battle. That run ended with it solo wiping the seraph without taking any health damage.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

secret volcano lair posted:

it's usually ok but there are some downsides if you get excessive with it.

the stings lower your chance of drawing a good minion on turn one, which can be important

As I understand it, and I haven't observed to the contrary yet, you will always draw your champion and a unit on turn 1. I believe the priority for the unit is Clan over Ally, and you will only draw a Train Steward if you have no other units.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

TastyLemonDrops posted:

So if you are running Remnant and reform him that buff stacks every time. Had him at like 12x multistrike at one point for fun.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Jedit posted:

It's the most broken event in the game and if you've upgraded sensibly it pretty much instantly wins the game for you. I first got it on a Glimmer with two +10s on it and smashed everything, and that's not even close to the best poo poo you can pull off.

Running with the +magic artifact, has a Glimmer (heal all allies/damage all enemies on the floor for 2) with -1 cost and +20 magic/consume upgrades, while I also have an Imp Scholar in my deck. The end result was 25 floor wide healing and damage.

I power slammed that spell into that event so hard.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I am still completely incapable of winning with Umbra but I love them anyway, them and Remnant are so weird and fun.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
The boss that starts with stealth is some hot garbage, jeez.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

That almost feels like it should be one of the end boss states with the level of "oh right poo poo, I need to structure this entire fight around the fact that my layout needs to do this"

It does tell you at the start of the fight who you're facing, but I'm guilty of not even looking, and of course you'd need to face it once atleast to realize the depth of the threat.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Prokhor posted:

That almost feels like it should be one of the end boss states with the level of "oh right poo poo, I need to structure this entire fight around the fact that my layout needs to do this"

It does tell you at the start of the fight who you're facing, but I'm guilty of not even looking, and of course you'd need to face it once atleast to realize the depth of the threat.

Likewise. This encounter popped up, and after me having an easy time sweeping a bunch of Stealth 1 nerds as Hellhorned/Awoken from the middle floor, this guy shows up, I see that 10, and the realization of how completely hosed I was hit me like suddenly being inside a giant ringing bell :stare:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

that seraph never knew what hit em

(ignore the playtime, I left it on idle for some time)

This was probably the most fun deck I've ever got. I've got 3 Multistrike Dregs and 3 Quick Dregs, double Extinguish Votivary and "play 3 cards draw 2" relic means I'm drawing half my deck every turn, then I just keep remolding Formless Child and using Intent on Death to repeatedly revive my Dregs with +40. The opening move of the Seraph fight was casting Inferno on my own Dregs lol

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

The only two times I beat her was when I had a Thorned Husk (fuckton of HP + Spikes for her to slam her face against) and was able to stack a massive amount of frostbite on her, but otherwise she really is utter garbage and a massive runkiller.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Alkydere posted:

The only two times I beat her was when I had a Thorned Husk (fuckton of HP + Spikes for her to slam her face against) and was able to stack a massive amount of frostbite on her, but otherwise she really is utter garbage and a massive runkiller.

I think if she wasn't literally "I get ten attacks against your team with zero repercussion unless you have thorns" it wouldn't be so bad but it's literally just "have a thorns-boosted brick wall of HP or a silence effect or get hosed".

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Stealth boss has never bothered me too bad, you just put tanky guys bottom and call that floor a wash and make floor two the killzone. Multiattack midboss hitting like 5x10 on the other hand just slays most of my setups for whatever reason, he just does so much damage as you go up in covenant

I'm sure there's a way to handle him but for whatever reason that guy is almost worse than the end boss for ending runs, it's definitely my consistent weakspot in chaining wins.

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 31, 2020

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Honestly I feel like they're one of the easier bosses. You can tell she'll be coming as soon as the level starts, in which case just put a real tanky unit on the bottom floor, and focus on keeping it at high health. That's literally all you gotta do.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
I've died several times to the stealth boss, but I've also died to the multistrike 4 boss about as often. My poor legion of wax.

The one thing I'm surprised people aren't calling out the difficulty of is the pyrewings (the high hp sweep-emberdrain guys). If the cards come up poorly and they get a single attack off you can quickly enter a death spiral in which you have no possible actions. They have stopped at least as many runs as those bosses for me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah the stealth boss does a few single target attacks and the turn to destroy a floor counts as one. Even if nothing else every single body put down eats one of its turns of stealth, I haven't really ever had an issue with it.

I guess if you go for a super slim deck with very few monsters it becomes more of an issue.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Holy loving lol. I didn't need it at this point, but I had two of these. There's an event that gives you an artifact that turns purge into consume.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Holy loving lol. I didn't need it at this point, but I had two of these. There's an event that gives you an artifact that turns purge into consume.

:vince:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The stars aligned for that run, since it looks like you got the "give spells an extra upgrade slot" artifact as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Dreylad posted:

The stars aligned for that run, since it looks like you got the "give spells an extra upgrade slot" artifact as well?

It absolutely was a perfect run. I also got units get an extra upgrade slot, and double spike damage for the final fight. First floor was spike lady champion, a sap + armor incant lodestone, and a rage + double armor incant, multistrike siren. A lot of the time enemies would go to the second floor because they had 0 attack. But that was fine because the next floor had a sweeper. I think it was my highest score, too. It helps that Awoken is one of the better factions.