Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Wibla posted:

Yeah at this point I'd get the U4320Q.

Or maybe go a different route (38" 3840x1600 UW), with a 34" or 27" 1440p on top for streaming/youtube and bullshit like that.

Though that being said, I am happy with my setup.

Huh, is it a camera lens distortion or do you look at the flanking monitors at an angle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

Any advice on the best 144hz and usb-c capable monitor?

I want to be able to quickly switch between my MacBook Pro and gaming setup. Don’t mind about 1080,1440, or 4k.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

ronya posted:

Huh, is it a camera lens distortion or do you look at the flanking monitors at an angle?

They're angled, yeah.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

meta² posted:

Any advice on the best 144hz and usb-c capable monitor?

I want to be able to quickly switch between my MacBook Pro and gaming setup. Don’t mind about 1080,1440, or 4k.

Find one that delivers enough power to change the MacBook, then you can do single cable and it'll be nice.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

bgreman posted:

My Omen from the deal upthread came into my local BB a day early, just got it hooked up and configured and it's everything I hoped for in a monitor upgrade. Thanks to everyone in the thread for their input!

Except for some reason now when I try to use Steam streaming to my downstairs 4K TV using Samsung's Steam Link app, it seems to disconnect after a single frame. I can still stream fine to my physical Steam Link attached to a 1080p TV. Probably a problem with the 4K TV.

Edit: I appear to have found a workaround.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 30, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Wibla posted:

Yeah at this point I'd get the U4320Q.

Or maybe go a different route (38" 3840x1600 UW), with a 34" or 27" 1440p on top for streaming/youtube and bullshit like that.

Though that being said, I am happy with my setup.

Is that your usual working distance from the monitor, or is the keyboard and mouse where it is just for framing? Also, that looks like a tiny keyboard. I guess I'm just curious about the ergonomics of your workflow, as that whole setup is quite different from what I set up for myself.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Anyone else have a 27 inch 1440p 144hz monitor but they change the size of the text, apps, and other items from 100% to 125%? I feel like 100% is way too small.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Is that your usual working distance from the monitor, or is the keyboard and mouse where it is just for framing? Also, that looks like a tiny keyboard. I guess I'm just curious about the ergonomics of your workflow, as that whole setup is quite different from what I set up for myself.

I was wondering what was up with the keyboard and then I saw it has no numpad. I would, literally, die.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Busy Bee posted:

Anyone else have a 27 inch 1440p 144hz monitor but they change the size of the text, apps, and other items from 100% to 125%? I feel like 100% is way too small.

Nope, I kept it at 100%. 125% is too big for me.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Black Griffon posted:

I was wondering what was up with the keyboard and then I saw it has no numpad. I would, literally, die.

all the mechanical keyboard bros love to jerk themselves off over tenkeyless and it just seems like they never have to do any numeric entry

there is also "40% style" layout and that's just insane, like you give up the number keys entirely.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I only need wasd, arrows, f keys, and vowels on my board and all the boys freak out when I take it to mech keyboard meetups at the Denny's my dad told me about the divorce in

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's a tenkeyless keyboard, so it looks pretty funny in front of a big-rear end monitor like the 43". This is my home computer, so workflow is fairly straightforward, I guess? surfing/games/whatever on the main monitor, various IM poo poo on the side monitors etc.

Paul MaudDib posted:

all the mechanical keyboard bros love to jerk themselves off over tenkeyless and it just seems like they never have to do any numeric entry

there is also "40% style" layout and that's just insane, like you give up the number keys entirely.

40% style keyboards are nuts, some people even program on them :psyduck:
I was used to tenkeyless from laptops, and figured it was worth testing on the desktop as well after my old fullsized mechanical keyboard started flaking out on me :v:

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

Tap the left arrow at the bottom for space, tap the right arrow for enter. Hold one down to transform the keys to some combination of numbers, symbols, function keys, and system keys, hold down the older to transform it into other capitals.

I own 2 40% boards, and I like them a lot, but the board pictured above (Gherkin if for some god forsake reason you're interested) is a bridge too far even for me.

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 31, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Tap the left arrow at the bottom for space, tap the right arrow for enter. Hold one down to transform the keys to some combination of numbers, symbols, function keys, and system keys, hold down the older to transform it into other capitals.

I own 2 40% boards, and I like them a lot, but the board pictured above (Gherkin if for some god forsake reason you're interested) is a bridge too far even for me.

This would piss me off to an immeasurable degree. My touch-typing is based on a standard layout, and I spent enough time using 10-key for various jobs that anything other than a full-size keyboard is annoying. My hands are also big enough that laptop keyboards feel cramped, at best.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

I thought 125% felt too big and went for 110%

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So how bad is VA nowadays? Today I stopped by a major electronics store just to see what's up and check out some monitors IRL. Unfortunately they had only a few models displayed and they were separated by brand so I couldn't really compare anything like I wanted to. But I did see what IIRC was a Samsung U32R590. It's 4k, 32", curved (meh), VA and under $500. The size seemed just right, a significant upgrade from 24" but not crazy like 40", and the viewing angles and colors looked good, but of course it's really impossible to tell objectively in those conditions.

So yeah I'm a bit tempted, maybe more so by the flat version. I'm tired of waiting of the perfect monitor which will be all this +IPS +HDR +Gsync +120hz (not even talking about oled at this point!) because that's some kind of unicorn apparently, and even dropping a grand would still get a very basic IPS panel. Has anyone seen a good VA and IPS panels side by side? From what I'm seeing, the contrast and color accuracy is very good at least for sRGB.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

VelociBacon posted:

I only need wasd, arrows, f keys, and vowels on my board and all the boys freak out when I take it to mech keyboard meetups at the Denny's my dad told me about the divorce in

just want to appreciate this post

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Busy Bee posted:

After giving it a few weeks to see if I'd get used to it I also feel 100% is slightly too small, and scaling never quite looks right. I know this is technically a better display in lots of ways but the chunkier pixel density on my old 24 inch 1080p monitor hit the sweet spot for me.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I use 125%. My eyesight is not the best so I've used scaling since getting my 30" in 2008.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I thought 1440p would be too tiny, so I tried to do 110% or 125%, but eventually I found I just grew used to 100% and dealing with zooming was too much bother.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

mobby_6kl posted:

So how bad is VA nowadays? Today I stopped by a major electronics store just to see what's up and check out some monitors IRL. Unfortunately they had only a few models displayed and they were separated by brand so I couldn't really compare anything like I wanted to. But I did see what IIRC was a Samsung U32R590. It's 4k, 32", curved (meh), VA and under $500. The size seemed just right, a significant upgrade from 24" but not crazy like 40", and the viewing angles and colors looked good, but of course it's really impossible to tell objectively in those conditions.

So yeah I'm a bit tempted, maybe more so by the flat version. I'm tired of waiting of the perfect monitor which will be all this +IPS +HDR +Gsync +120hz (not even talking about oled at this point!) because that's some kind of unicorn apparently, and even dropping a grand would still get a very basic IPS panel. Has anyone seen a good VA and IPS panels side by side? From what I'm seeing, the contrast and color accuracy is very good at least for sRGB.

If you don't care about gaming VA is mostly fine. You get better blacks and worse off-angle viewing than IPS. For gaming, VA is still bad. There's no getting away from having really bad response times on those deep g2g transitions.

The only good high refresh 4k monitors that exist right now are the LG OLED TVs, but they're held back by the lack of HDMI 2.1 support on GPUs. You really can't expect to see the sort of feature sets you're looking for until sometime after the next-gen GPUs hit and there are finally interfaces with enough bandwidth to drive them properly. That said, they're going to be 27". For whatever reason, that's pretty definitively the size the industry has standardized on for high end 4k panels. There will continue to be 32" options, but I don't expect to see them at the proper high end.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ah so that's the catch. Because I was looking at some reviews and everything seemed pretty good for VA considering the price range. I'm not pro gamer or anything but I guess I'd want to try it in person to see if the response bothers me. It's a shame 32" isn't taking off for 4k, 27" makes sense for 1440p but a few more inches would only make things better :v:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
144+Hz on VAs at least make them usable for gaming, but yeah, you're still going to get smearing/trails to some extent.

It might be worth seeing if you can bring a laptop in and hook it up and try it yourself and see if it bothers you. It won't be as good as a high-hz IPS, but it might be tolerable if your expectations for gaming aren't all that high in the first place.

Another spot it'll probably show up is scrolling through forums. Specifically things like the black borders around light colored text.

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
Are there any decent budget (less than like $400?) 3440x1440 ultrawides? With my current setup I can’t really do a second monitor, so was thinking I would try to get a nicer single monitor instead.

I don’t really care about gaming (I only occasionally play games and don’t mind dropping down the settings, graphics card is a 970), and even though high refresh rate would be nice I’m used enough to 60 to not need higher.

Failing that, what are the going rates for a 27” 1440p monitor these days without anything fancy?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Save up for a bit longer, then treat yourself to a decent monitor.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I also am looking for a 34" 3440x1440 but I am just baffled by the range of seemingly nearly identical products with cryptic model numbers.

I need it to be IPS as I do color-sensitive work. Higher framerate could be nice but all my current screens are 60hz and realistically that's fine for the work I do and video games I play. Some sort of G-sync would be cool because I like to play flight simulators and unfortunately they can struggle to maintain 60hz even on modern hardware. Not super price sensitive but I would like to pay less than $1000. Bonus if it doesn't look like an alien spaceship.

Also, I have never owned a curved monitor and I'm not sure what the pros and cons are there.

Any suggestions?

e: what is the difference between the LG 34WN750-B and 34WK95C? gently caress these model numbers holy god

e2: oh, one is curved and one is flat. Anyone got an opinion there? Also what is nano-IPS?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 31, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Neurostorm posted:

Are there any decent budget (less than like $400?) 3440x1440 ultrawides? With my current setup I can’t really do a second monitor, so was thinking I would try to get a nicer single monitor instead.

I don’t really care about gaming (I only occasionally play games and don’t mind dropping down the settings, graphics card is a 970), and even though high refresh rate would be nice I’m used enough to 60 to not need higher.

Failing that, what are the going rates for a 27” 1440p monitor these days without anything fancy?

When budget is a concern you should not be considering ultrawides. You pay twice as much for nowhere near twice as much monitor. For hundreds of dollars you could swap desks, get arms, or whatever it would take for you to get to dual monitor.

You're also in kind of an awkward situation with the occasional gaming thing, because really for your needs a 4k 60hz monitor would probably be ideal since they're great value compared to 1440p 60hz, but there's no way in hell you could drive decent framerates on one when you do play games. You could play at 1080p, but Nvidia didn't add support for integer scaling until Turing so it would look like rear end. AMD supports it on basically everything. If you plan to upgrade your GPU any time in the near future it might be worth considering.

Sagebrush posted:

I also am looking for a 34" 3440x1440 but I am just baffled by the range of seemingly nearly identical products with cryptic model numbers.

I need it to be IPS as I do color-sensitive work. Higher framerate could be nice but all my current screens are 60hz and realistically that's fine for the work I do and video games I play. Some sort of G-sync would be cool because I like to play flight simulators and unfortunately they can struggle to maintain 60hz even on modern hardware. Not super price sensitive but I would like to pay less than $1000. Bonus if it doesn't look like an alien spaceship.

Also, I have never owned a curved monitor and I'm not sure what the pros and cons are there.

Any suggestions?

e: what is the difference between the LG 34WN750-B and 34WK95C? gently caress these model numbers holy god

e2: oh, one is curved and one is flat. Anyone got an opinion there? Also what is nano-IPS?

It's worth noting that although they tend to come with decent calibration, LG IPS panels have relatively bad contrast as far as modern IPS panels go. Ultrawides also inevitably have worse corner bleed/grey consistency than 16:9 monitors. You also tend to have a harder time getting everything you might want in one package in ultrawide, since they're a much more niche product.

Nano-IPS is a way of increasing color gamut.

The 34GK950F is another monitor worth looking at if you can get lucky with availability. It doesn't have the color space the previous options do, but the accuracy is decent. It's the only one of the bunch with meaningful VRR. They can be had for $800 at times. In general though, where the monitor market is right now you would probably do better by splitting your goals between a 4k content creation monitor and a 1440p gaming monitor, if that's a realistic option for you space-wise.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 31, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm not a fan of multiple monitor setups; I am specifically looking for an ultrawide to maximize the usable space for the specific arrangement of tools I usually have. TBH I'd rather give up VRR and just buy a faster graphics card and lock everything at 60fps than deal with multiple screens or inferior color/viewing angles.

K8.0 posted:

It's worth noting that although they tend to come with decent calibration, LG IPS panels have relatively bad contrast as far as modern IPS panels go. Ultrawides also inevitably have worse corner bleed/grey consistency than 16:9 monitors. You also tend to have a harder time getting everything you might want in one package in ultrawide, since they're a much more niche product.

What brands have good contrast as far as modern IPS panels go?

To be clear, I'm not doing like HDR video production color grading and don't need a $5000 reference monitor, but I am doing design work where I want to be able to match a Pantone color and so on (within color space constraints obviously).

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

since mine is showing signs of wear, i just did a cursory glance at some monitors for the first time in forever and it seems like not a single one of the 100-150€ options has more than one HDMI port. which mine does have. have i been taking my port situation for granted all this time???

(yes i know there's plenty of solutions to this problem, i'm just weirded out that this apparently isn't a standard feature)

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I got an LG 24ML44B-B https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-24-ips-led-fhd-freesync-monitor-black/6362423.p?skuId=6362423 for a secondary when it was on sale, but can't find any calibration settings online. Anyone else have any luck or maybe know how to find out what panel it is so I can steal them from another monitor using it? This actually doesn't even show up on displayspecfications.com and I thought they had every monitor ever.

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011

K8.0 posted:

When budget is a concern you should not be considering ultrawides. You pay twice as much for nowhere near twice as much monitor. For hundreds of dollars you could swap desks, get arms, or whatever it would take for you to get to dual monitor.

You're also in kind of an awkward situation with the occasional gaming thing, because really for your needs a 4k 60hz monitor would probably be ideal since they're great value compared to 1440p 60hz, but there's no way in hell you could drive decent framerates on one when you do play games. You could play at 1080p, but Nvidia didn't add support for integer scaling until Turing so it would look like rear end. AMD supports it on basically everything. If you plan to upgrade your GPU any time in the near future it might be worth considering.

Thanks this is super helpful. I’ll check out 4K 60 hz monitors. Are there any considered to be a good budget pick?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Sagebrush posted:

Any suggestions?

The Alienware 3420DW is an LG Nano-IPS 1440p UW display as well.

Just to confuse things even more, though - the 3420DW is a G-Sync native display, which means you're limited to only one HDMI and DP port. FreeSync displays can have more inputs.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 31, 2020

StinkingHomo
Oct 8, 2006

I'm in ur house, using ur toiletz
I haven't done much research yet, but maybe someone will know if such a thing even is possible. I currently use 2 monitors at home connected to a 2070 super gaming pc. I like games like factorio etc. a lot, so usually when I play games I also have some youtube running in the other monitor or chat or whatever. This is all fine and good currently. I also work from home, so one of the monitors has an extra hdmi out to which I attach work laptop and I switch inputs on one of the monitors. Since the work VPN is quite locked, I usually still keep the PC on for youtube and even a little gaming when work has downtime. Anyway, since the monitors are quite old, I'd like to replace them with an ultrawide. So my question is, do any ultrawides have an option where they can act as "2 monitors" I guess? So on the left side, I could have laptop output, and on right PC output? And when work is over for gaming with web browser open as well, can they act as like 2 monitors? Or will I have to start fiddling with windowed modes to get similar functionality. Or would I just be better off with 2 monitors?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

StinkingHomo posted:

I haven't done much research yet, but maybe someone will know if such a thing even is possible. I currently use 2 monitors at home connected to a 2070 super gaming pc. I like games like factorio etc. a lot, so usually when I play games I also have some youtube running in the other monitor or chat or whatever. This is all fine and good currently. I also work from home, so one of the monitors has an extra hdmi out to which I attach work laptop and I switch inputs on one of the monitors. Since the work VPN is quite locked, I usually still keep the PC on for youtube and even a little gaming when work has downtime. Anyway, since the monitors are quite old, I'd like to replace them with an ultrawide. So my question is, do any ultrawides have an option where they can act as "2 monitors" I guess? So on the left side, I could have laptop output, and on right PC output? And when work is over for gaming with web browser open as well, can they act as like 2 monitors? Or will I have to start fiddling with windowed modes to get similar functionality. Or would I just be better off with 2 monitors?

I inquired about this before and was told it's a trivial thing to have virtual monitor seperation on an ultrawide. I don't know about having one half be from the second input though.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

I inquired about this before and was told it's a trivial thing to have virtual monitor seperation on an ultrawide. I don't know about having one half be from the second input though.

You’d be looking for a monitor that supports Picture-By-Picture mode if you want to have display of two discrete inputs.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Fellow goons, through a set of frankly baffling and infuriating circumstances, I am left with a dead monitor not four months old, and therefore back to shopping again.

Is my research still valid in that where my criteria are:

1) 1440P
2) Ultrawide
3) 100Hz+ refresh rate

in mostly that order, am I still looking at the LG 34GK950F if I'm doing any gaming at all, despite the lackluster peak brightness as long as I can get it for <$900?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 1, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Kalman posted:

You’d be looking for a monitor that supports Picture-By-Picture mode if you want to have display of two discrete inputs.

Yeah, this. Note that Picture by Picture (PBP) is not the same as Picture in Picture (PIP). PIP gives you a small inset secondary display, while PBP usually splits the screen down the center to give you two 1/2 screens to work with.

Depending on what other characteristics you're looking for, the Dell U3419W, Samsung CRG9, MSI PS341WU, etc, are all potentially good options.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

SwissArmyDruid posted:

in mostly that order, am I still looking at the LG 34GK950F if I'm doing any gaming at all, despite the lackluster peak brightness as long as I can get it for <$900?

It's still a good monitor, yeah. You can also consider the Acer X34 or Dell AW3418DW, both of which should be under $900 pretty frequently.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Fellow goons, through a set of frankly baffling and infuriating circumstances, I am left with a dead monitor not four months old, and therefore back to shopping again.

Is my research still valid in that where my criteria are:

1) 1440P
2) Ultrawide
3) 100Hz+ refresh rate

Did you have a LG 34GK950F previously and it died? drat, that sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Is there anything horribly wrong with the LG 32QK500? It’s a lot of monitor for the price and I don’t care about super-high refresh rates. The only thing I notice is the brightness is a bit low.