Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

sassassin posted:

The next post-apoc zombie movies/shows/games are definitely going to have tattered 'mission accomplished' banners everywhere, with newspaper headlines about how easy the crisis is, and how well our dear leaders are doing. Everyone trying to make it to the fabled safe zone in the ironically named nation of "new Z-Land".

Happy Monday just around the corner. We did it, everyone. Now watch this swan dive off a cliff.

I disagree because there isn't going to be a revitalisation of critical popular media until the revolution. There's going to be an underground scene which does these things but it'll never make it to the silver screen unless the Chinese film industry manages to jump internationally as a nationalist critique of the rest of the world. There's too much to lose to allow serious biting critique of their immediate failures to reach a mass audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

thespaceinvader posted:

Idiots jump off cliffs for thrills all the time tho?

Like, cliff diving is a thing.

Yeah but you have to like, work up to doing the big jumps, get the technique down. If you don't hit the water juuuust right from those heights you can break your back and stuff.

Guessing these people were just some chuds who'd never done anything like it before.

I did a canyoning in Wales for my stag do, and the last thing we did was jump off a waterfall which was, I wanna say, 7 metres high (I think that's what I remember). I landed slightly wrong the first time I did it and it felt like I'd been kicked up the arse HARD and had the wind knocked out of me.

From 7m your terminal velocity will be something like 26mph, from 200ft (apparently what those guys at Durdle Door did) it'll be around 70mph. Energy goes up by the square of the speed so although it's less than 3x faster it's about 7.3x more energy when you hit.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I just don't get what possesses people to do that. I'm 37, pretty healthy, run 3x a week and do power lifting. If I so much as step on a cat toy the wrong way getting out of bed I can be hosed for a week.

I used to rock climb and I have had my fair share of tumbles too.

Spain was full of idiot British tourists jumping onto swimming pools from balconies and fracturing their legs or missing and breaking every bone in their body. Why the gently caress do people do this.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I had to look up the height of durdle door to check because I just couldn't believe anyone would jump off a 200ft arch even if it was more like 150 from where they jumped.

I jumped off Stari Most bridge once, that was about 20m and it was far from pleasant. I no longer have any desire to jump from heights and honestly am shocked they are still alive.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Durdle Door is fun to say

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The fact the US isn't the top story on tomorrow's front pages is kinda wild to me, ngl

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

The fact the US isn't the top story on tomorrow's front pages is kinda wild to me, ngl

Heavy "don't get any ideas" vibe

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Gonzo McFee posted:

Heavy "don't get any ideas" vibe

For real, for real

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Friend of mine has a cut glass RP British accent and several times has been asked by Egyptians "please speak English" because they're so used to hearing "Egyptian English" (which I lapse into over there - most Egyptians I speak to - shopkeepers, taxi drivers, workmen etc - who do speak English can't understand a regular British accent and as it happens neither can my Italian friend who speaks fluent Arabic and almost no English). (Ed I should point out I do speak Arabic when I can. Most Egyptians assume I'm German and try to speak German with me then we get stuck in conversations with me speaking pidgen Arabic and them speaking pidgen German - quite hard to get out of a morass it's like the brain has an on/off switch for forin speak.)
Also, one of my friends with a string Geordie accent was asked to teach spoken English at her kids' school. She declined. But her kids' friends all speak English with Geordie accents.
*Friend's kids are half Egyptian.

Ha! I came to the UK in August 2003. When I sat to listen to the Queen's Christmas message on TV that year, I to had to ask my flatmates if the Queen was a foreigner. Like I sat there thinking what the heck, it's the Queen of England and she does not even sound English.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ms Adequate posted:

just normal stuff

https://twitter.com/princesslondyxx/status/1266893071821635585?s=20

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
"All lives matter!" I scream as I ready my bow and arrow

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

if you see the massive protests against racism and capitalism in the us and get annoyed at people discussing it here with posters they know in what is practically a chat thread you're probably a oval office imo

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

name and shame

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

bornbytheriver posted:

Ha! I came to the UK in August 2003. When I sat to listen to the Queen's Christmas message on TV that year, I to had to ask my flatmates if the Queen was a foreigner. Like I sat there thinking what the heck, it's the Queen of England and she does not even sound English.

I mean, you weren't wrong about Brenda Saxe-Coburg-Gotha tbf

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Jose posted:

if you see the massive protests against racism and capitalism in the us and get annoyed at people discussing it here with posters they know in what is practically a chat thread you're probably a oval office imo

Fully agree. Also this is definitely spilling over into the UK. There are protests planned.

Like, especially that this is a heavily leftist thread which is always (rightly) going on about internationalist action against western capitalism/imperialism it's absolutely fair and good to discuss this stuff here.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Given that he always said hello with a very enthusiastic wayeayeman I'm pretty sure he was geordie.

He was the only one that sounded like that so I assume he was an expat from like, a colony inside the tyne bridge or something, with his mam being alan shearer and his dad being a puddle of runoff from the newkie brown factory.

Mackems say wayayeman, too

They all secretly want to be Geordies anyway.

I'm from Middlesbrough as you know and when I went down to Peterborough for a backyard wrestling interfed event perfectly normal social event everyone thought I was a Geordie.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

this is a chat thread? i thought it existed solely for the endless sharing of tweets no one reads

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Ratjaculation posted:

this is a chat thread?

Hey guys, how about them crisps

I'm glad giant wotsits are a regular thing in supermarkets now and my wife doesn't have to keep buying overpriced Cheetos from import stores.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Yup, normal as gently caress

https://twitter.com/tkerssen/status/1266921821653385225

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Maugrim posted:

Hey guys, how about them crisps

I'm glad giant wotsits are a regular thing in supermarkets now and my wife doesn't have to keep buying overpriced Cheetos from import stores.

the best wotsits are the bbq beef ones, change my mind

(yes I know they changed the name to sizzling steak but they taste the same)

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

wotsits aren't crisps, they're congealed flavoured dust for wankers

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

nows my chance to declare that monster munch sucks and it's a travesty that they cast a shadow over their superior alternative: SKIPS

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

kecske posted:

nows my chance to declare that monster munch sucks and it's a travesty that they cast a shadow over their superior alternative: SKIPS

skips are cool because they melt in your mouth, not in your hand

no wait that's m&ms

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

kecske posted:

:thermidor:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Skips are grest until you get the rock

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Yeah, once you've had the objectively best bit it's all downhill from there.

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

kecske posted:

Both pale in comparison to rib n saucy niknaks

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
scampi fries are the best crisps because they taste great and make your breath smell like a urinal.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

The new walker max strong jalapeno & cheese ones are good

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Why no love for Rancheros? Because they are amazing.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jesus, Matt, what in the tin-pot Christ are you on?

https://twitter.com/matthancock/status/1266758277041401857?s=21

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol this owns

https://twitter.com/MelLeonor_/status/1266965458286194691?s=19

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Annalise dodds absolutely pathetic on Marr right now. He's asked 'do Labour support the government relaxing lockdown' and she's just spent 10 mins not answering the question, and sitting on the fence about absolutely everything. He read out the five criteria labour had previously given for relaxing lockdown, nome of which has been made met, and all she can say is 'its not up to the opposition to decide whether we relax lockdown or not'.

How is this can be their idea of an effective approach? Disgraceful.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/PTaylorheather/status/1266513325514514437
Random upsetting thing of the day, in this memorial the government has planned the healthcare worker is wearing far more PPE than we are actually given. Rewriting history while it's still taking place.

I loving knew it. The plan is literally to make martyrs of the healthcare staff so that their "noble sacrifice" will be described as "heroic sacrifices in the line of duty in the war on covid", rather than "disgraceful preventable deaths caused by govenrment incompetence and mis-management".

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Ah no, richmond has painfully few gender neutral bathrooms as it is!

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

https://twitter.com/rodbishop15/status/1267005113308151810?s=20

Daily Mail doing some classic character assassination.

Edit:

Marr having a good day:

quote:

‘I came on your programme to talk about transport matters,’ says Shapps, ‘as my expertise lies in transport.’

‘Well since your expertise lies in transport, did Dominic Cummings stop off anywhere between London and Durham?’

Prince John fucked around with this message at 09:46 on May 31, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao brutal

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Prince John posted:

https://twitter.com/rodbishop15/status/1267005113308151810?s=20

Daily Mail doing some classic character assassination.

Edit:

Marr having a good day:

No, no - my expertise: Lies! In transport.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah but you have to like, work up to doing the big jumps, get the technique down. If you don't hit the water juuuust right from those heights you can break your back and stuff.

Guessing these people were just some chuds who'd never done anything like it before.

Please, you're misunderstanding. They were actually government spokesmen explaining the Tories' new COVID strategy through the medium of interpretive dance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Thanks to whoever posted the videos of Beau the bearded dude. Very interesting videos. His police militarisation on is especially good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB3HUXdmid4