Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Shoehead posted:

edit: You can do it in XBC2?? How did I never notice that?

wait, what?? no, that is not true. I have 300+ hours in that game I would have definitely noticed that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So what exactly does casual mode do to the combat? I thought it would be like auto mode in XBC2 , but I didn't notice anything visibly change when I tested it.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Any word if that old bug where minimum damage is the weapon stat that matters is fixed?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

lezard_valeth posted:

wait, what?? no, that is not true. I have 300+ hours in that game I would have definitely noticed that

:same:

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
So this is the kind of game that everyone will beat within 12 hours of launch but will take me a month due to dicking around :v: I went around completing every available quest and killing all named monsters in the area because the combat is super engaging

Just finished the Colony 9 segment. I decided I was gonna kill all the Mechons during the first segment because that might get me an achivement. it didn't

Also holy poo poo nooo not Fiora she can daze and deal a shiton of damage :cry:

sadly I think XC2 might have spoiled me a bit and she probably gets resurrected or some other bait and switch since she shows up in the interdimensional colosseum. OH WELL

Maining Reyn btw because "Alle hoop!" and he is a lovable idiot :allears:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

lezard_valeth posted:

Haaaaaaaamer BEAT

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

lezard_valeth posted:

I suggest alternating who you control because everyone is a joy to handle. By the time the shops start selling anti-mechon weapons it even becomes safe to boot Shulk from the party.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So what's the best way to get affinity up? Is it still fighting something with spikes and letting your party members continually go unconscious so you can pull them back up?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Did I imagine some sort of 2x Speed mode in the previews?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

jfc i just hit makna forest, these zones just keep getting more and more beautiful.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

queeb posted:

jfc i just hit makna forest, these zones just keep getting more and more beautiful.

Nothing beats Satorl Marsh at night. NOTHING. Especially the first time it transitions to night and takes you completely by surprise.

Edit: Eryth Sea isn’t great, but Alcamoth is amazing.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Edit: Eryth Sea isn’t great, but Alcamoth is amazing.

Eryth Sea is awful to navigate, but its unique weather effect is amazing.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Saxophone posted:

So what's the best way to get affinity up? Is it still fighting something with spikes and letting your party members continually go unconscious so you can pull them back up?

Basically, or anything to get your team discouraged. The old method for grinding used to be fighting a particular enemy that would sleep you, and just waking them up over and over.

The ai seems a little better at encouraging each other now and Sharla does a better job, but it might be placebo.

You can also do the item gifting thing.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Does anyone know how fashion works in this game? I know you unlock a look by buying the piece of gear it was originally attached to but do you keep the look as a customization option if you sell the gear?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

lezard_valeth posted:

Also holy poo poo nooo not Fiora she can daze and deal a shiton of damage :cry:

sadly I think XC2 might have spoiled me a bit and she probably gets resurrected or some other bait and switch since she shows up in the interdimensional colosseum. OH WELL

XC1/XC2: XC2's stance is that they technically take place at the same time or so, including the nopon archsage doing his thing, and endings of both games. Um, you can go ahead and sell your knives.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The early game is still rough for me, and I'm actually doing more sidequests than normal. Am I missing something, or equipment other than the refuge colony 6 camp? (just met hammer mech).

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
My only complain in general with the Xenoblade franchise is how they mercilessly inventory assault you. Like within the first hour of the game you already have 200+ items between dropped gear, gems, crystals, collectables, materials. The last 3 categories could have easily been condescend into one.

XB2 had a similar issue where you had accesories, pouch items, chips, auxiliary cores, auxiliary core templates and materials. Golden Country of Torna kinda fixed this by removing the auxiliary core templates and turning the materials into craftables for the pouch items.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Tae posted:

The early game is still rough for me, and I'm actually doing more sidequests than normal. Am I missing something, or equipment other than the refuge colony 6 camp? (just met hammer mech).

Define rough, and have you played other XB games?

With how many interlocking systems there are, it's difficult to know which one you might be neglecting (if even there is one).

At that plot point, you should still have a fixed party of Shulk, Reyn and Sharla IIRC. I'll be honest, I think that's kinda an underpowered party, because that last member is underpowered in my opinion.
Also you're low level and so you have way less options when fights go south and your passive healing should e still subpar.

I'd wait for the next party member before restarting sidequesting.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Are the "materials" you get (the ones with the loot sacks) just money items (with the exception of a few necessary for quests)? Just wondering if I can safely sell all this seeming trash that gets dropped along the way of murdering everything involved in the side quests.

Also Expert Mode is pretty great, actually. I appreciate being able to pace and re-scale my characters so that boss encounters aren't laughers. Definitely better than automatic level-scaling.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Omobono posted:

Define rough, and have you played other XB games?

With how many interlocking systems there are, it's difficult to know which one you might be neglecting (if even there is one).

At that plot point, you should still have a fixed party of Shulk, Reyn and Sharla IIRC. I'll be honest, I think that's kinda an underpowered party, because that last member is underpowered in my opinion.
Also you're low level and so you have way less options when fights go south and your passive healing should e still subpar.

I'd wait for the next party member before restarting sidequesting.

I beat XB2 and have played up to the teleporting platforms 3 times. I just always struggle the early game and just continuously die until I get over-levled, but that seems....not intended.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Memnaelar posted:

Are the "materials" you get (the ones with the loot sacks) just money items (with the exception of a few necessary for quests)? Just wondering if I can safely sell all this seeming trash that gets dropped along the way of murdering everything involved in the side quests.

Also Expert Mode is pretty great, actually. I appreciate being able to pace and re-scale my characters so that boss encounters aren't laughers. Definitely better than automatic level-scaling.

I think so, mostly, from what I remember. However they're also your only means of trading with NPCs for items, so make sure you've gotten what you want in a town before dumping everything, otherwise you'll have to go fetch more bear asses to get that nifty piece of gear from the wee child. The sack things (materials) are generally safer to sell than the crystal ball things (collectables), as the latter tend to be used more for quests I think. I usually dump materials first and hold collectables until I actually need more cash.

And I try to sell collectables I have multiples of and hold onto the lower amount ones unless I really get desperate.

jkyuusai fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 30, 2020

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Do you have to jump into each new portal to unlock different time attack challenges? Or is just going in once enough?

Absolutely loving the remaster so far, the title screen flooded me with so much emotion from 10 years ago. It's nice to play the game while the screen isn't mostly smeared with vaseline.

Paper Planes
Mar 23, 2013
What's the stance on side-quests, do all the named ones or just do the ones you come across?

Just don't want to burn out!

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Paper Planes posted:

What's the stance on side-quests, do all the named ones or just do the ones you come across?

Named NPC quests tend to be more involved, have better rewards and give you bigger points towards leveling up your town affinity. Also the dialogue for accepting and turning in the quests gives you big boosts to teammate affinity as well.

The generic ones are good to just grab and not focus on, just do them if you come across the required monsters while out exploring or on the story path. You'll complete a decent amount of them without burning out that way.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Paper Planes posted:

Any ones with a clock are missable if the plot goes too far; general ones you get assigned in clumps from one npc tend to autoconplete naturally as you play an area. Feel free to sign up or agree to every quest you run into, but don't be compelled to do them all.

Don't attempt to do every single Alcamoth sidequest. At least not all at once if you truly want to 100% this. That's the LD50 point for burnout if you're making the attempt, this game lets you freely fast travel and there's no reason to force completion of each area as you reach them.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Chronojam posted:

Don't attempt to do every single Alcamoth sidequest. At least not all at once if you truly want to 100% this. That's the LD50 point for burnout if you're making the attempt, this game lets you freely fast travel and there's no reason to force completion of each area as you reach them.

I did that. I don't know why. Definitely not doing that again.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
I love the idle animations. I feel like they're new? Reyn just standing in the corner sniffing his pits constantly.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I’ve been 100%ing so far not out of determination but just because I’ve played through the game before and know the plot and the new hud makes it much easier. Probably won’t keep it up for the long haul tho

I’m level 27 in the ether mines lolll

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

That's what Expert Mode is for.

Love having Colony 9 at 4* Affinity an hour after picking up Sharla

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
XC Definitive is my first exposure to the series after years and years of meaning to give it a try, but I never had a wii or a wiiu and 3ds just felt like a weird way to start a series known for its massive environments and huge scale.

I'm having a lot of fun so far, it feels a lot like a more active FFXII and I've been enjoying how important stuff like positioning and combo'ing bonus effects are. I'm also getting mulched by literally all of these unique monsters and that's unironically fun.

If I have one complaint so far I wish you could freely swap between characters in battle to set up those combos better, or at least make it something you could do on the fly outside of battle to make it feel a little more natural. That said maybe I just need to play more and learn to trust the AI. I assume it prioritizes stuff like topple and daze if it can?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Deified Data posted:

XC Definitive is my first exposure to the series after years and years of meaning to give it a try, but I never had a wii or a wiiu and 3ds just felt like a weird way to start a series known for its massive environments and huge scale.

I'm having a lot of fun so far, it feels a lot like a more active FFXII and I've been enjoying how important stuff like positioning and combo'ing bonus effects are. I'm also getting mulched by literally all of these unique monsters and that's unironically fun.

If I have one complaint so far I wish you could freely swap between characters in battle to set up those combos better, or at least make it something you could do on the fly outside of battle to make it feel a little more natural. That said maybe I just need to play more and learn to trust the AI. I assume it prioritizes stuff like topple and daze if it can?

Basically as far as the AI goes:

Character AI is never exactly great. They will *usually* prioritize toppling/dazing but not always. Shulk will always prioritize Enchant on Mechon enemies. Outside of that if you have any specific combos you need to do that is what Chain Attack is for. You build your combos to be used in Chain Attack and get the bonuses from that.

Certain characters absolutely suck unless they are player controlled. The sixth character you get is a giant example of this. If you are not controlling them they should not be in your party.

The AI is ''okay' at its job but will never be great and when you build your team you need to basically build around the idea that whoever you are controlling will do the heavy lifting.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
It does. The game also teaches you that you can use chain attacks for it - they raise status infliction rate through the roof and let you select actions for everyone individually.

After a vision happens, you can also walk up to another party member and Warn them to basically take control of them for one action. It does cost a bit of party gauge though.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I was so busy focusing on the wolves that I forgot about the Tirkins, then I was so busy running from the Tirkins that I forgot about the Territorial Rotbart. This is the classic Xenoblade Experience™

Edit: Sharla's new outfit is even dumber than her regular outfits. It's amazing.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 31, 2020

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BrightWing posted:

Any word if that old bug where minimum damage is the weapon stat that matters is fixed?
I didn't know this existed, but now I want to know more.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I can confirm that you keep access to an equipment’s look as a customization option, even after selling the equipment itself. No word on how this affects future party members

Scrap Dragon fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 31, 2020

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Expert mode is a must IMO, I turned it on from the beginning and just checked what my level would be like without it. I'd already be level 23 in a level 15-18 area (Bionis Leg). I managed to beat the frog that spawns in thunderstorms and the enrage ardun while being 1-2 levels lower and it was really satisfying

Also Territorial Rotbar is not as terrifying as it was in XC2 where it would run and be up in your business without warning. Here paces relatively slow

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 31, 2020

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Scrap Dragon posted:

I can confirm that you keep access to an equipment’s look as a customization option, even after selling the equipment itself. No word on how this affects future party members

Seems to register it for them, too - sold everything before I picked up Sharla to test it and she has all the options

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Scrap Dragon posted:

It works for future party members (all except the last one) AND isn’t restricted by armor class. Female heavy armor sets in particular look pretty awesome and I bet less than 1% of Wii players even saw them.

Also it looks as though there’s a separate autosave file for fashion stuff in general since you can buy pieces from vendors, reload your save, and still keep the cosmetic unlocks.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Tae posted:

Prioritize learning Shulk's skills that 1) heal after a chain attack, 2) increase chances of a chain link, and 3) boost chain attack damage. Link the first skill to other characters ASAP because it stacks. I forget if the other skills stack if you link them.

Remember to go through your inventory periodically and give your characters the best available equipment. Gems can help, even though they're weak earlier in the game. Agility is the stat you want to try to boost, and HP up and muscle up (raises def) gems can be helpful early.

It's best to play as Shulk because the AI doesn't pay attention to positioning. Use your break arts so Reyn can topple. Try to hit burst affinities (button challenges) every time, because they build party gauge. They tend to happen when someone dodges, crits, or inflicts a negative status.

Chain attacks are your main source of damage - use arts of the same color during the chain to build the attack multiplier. Talent arts can link with any colors in a chain attack, which you'll need because Sharla's arts don't match well with Shulk/Reyn. If you're able to extend the chain attack and get the multiplier to a decent number, the Monado Buster art is great for heavy burst damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arsegrit
Oct 22, 2004

Fourth Wall posted:

Chain attacks are your main source of damage - use arts of the same color during the chain to build the attack multiplier. Talent arts can link with any colors in a chain attack, which you'll need because Sharla's arts don't match well with Shulk/Reyn. If you're able to extend the chain attack and get the multiplier to a decent number, the Monado Buster art is great for heavy burst damage.

This is odd, as I've found chain attacks to be woeful so far. I'm level 16-18 or so, running round the Gaur Plain with my buddy Reyn doing a bunch of side quests. I max out the meter and hit chain attack, pick a red skill in both, and then it ends after those two. Occasionally I've had it go to three. The damage it does for the massive two-hit combo is round about the same as a backslash crit, so I've just been saving the meter for resurrections and pushing backslash instead. If chain attacks are so good, what am I doing wrong? Right now it seems pretty pants.

I figured out that I could run in a circle large enough to avoid being hit for my healing art to recharge and simultaneously small enough that Reyn could still attack and get aggro back. Before this, the named enemies would just run our healthbars down before we could kill 'em. The resurrections were useful to resolve any mistakes with the Benny Hill tactic. If chain attack could actually do less terrible damage I'd probably be able to just punch things to death instead.