Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

mind the walrus posted:

Either the writer had a really good time coming up with that, or they were so past the horizon point of sanity that it was the only way they could parse what their job demanded of them.
It’s got some real Douglas Adams vibes.

My question is what the target market is for an Austin Powers novelization. Did they sell those at Scholastic book fairs next to Goosebumps?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

:hmmyes:

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It’s obviously not from an actual Austin Powers book. Come on.

However there is a good collection of them here https://m.imgur.com/gallery/PBZXUeg

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

:bisonyes:

MORE PLEASE

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Samuringa posted:

I have no idea what a skaven is

https://i.imgur.com/tUYjnX6.mp4

yes-yes!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Problem patient lied once and said my coworker dropped him in the hoyer, so they made him lift me in the hoyer to show it worked and he knew how to use it lol. It's a lot more freaky being up in one of those than you'd think.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Click the pic for more comedy and even some memes

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Data Graham posted:

Bracing myself for incoming ATLA-based memes now that everyone's watching it on Netflix

korra to?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/LCRWnews/status/1266957722634686464

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

wizzardstaff posted:

It’s got some real Douglas Adams vibes.

My question is what the target market is for an Austin Powers novelization. Did they sell those at Scholastic book fairs next to Goosebumps?
I as a young boy bought the novelization of Waterworld at a book fair and read it a bunch of times before I saw the movie, at which I brought my novelization and tried to read it in the tiny light along with the action on the big screen.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lol

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I as a young boy bought the novelization of Waterworld at a book fair and read it a bunch of times before I saw the movie, at which I brought my novelization and tried to read it in the tiny light along with the action on the big screen.

It must have been glorious to see those EIGHT PAGES OF COLOR PHOTOS!!! finally brought to life.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It's quite the move to call a ship the "Of course I still love you". Imagine trying to have a casual conversation about that.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Carbon dioxide posted:

It's quite the move to call a ship the "Of course I still love you". Imagine trying to have a casual conversation about that.

Lol if you don't bring up Iain M. Banks and his works in casual conversation literally 100% of the time.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

liking banks is one of the coolest things about musk

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Carbon dioxide posted:

All their drone ships are named after stuff from the Culture series

Of course I still love you
A shortfall of gravitas
Just read the instructions

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

Broken clocks etc

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Counterpoint: Inspiring Musk is the worst thing about Banks

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

MizPiz posted:

:hmmyes:

Also, don't fall into the trap that SpaceX some how sprung fully formed from Musk's forhead, there are many talented people working there, and they probably get to name ahit once in awhile.

Elviscat has a new favorite as of 09:15 on May 31, 2020

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

MizPiz posted:

Musk thinks he's the Culture, but Musk isn't even loving Veppers

Jeff Bezos is Veppers

Gravitas Shortfall has a new favorite as of 15:19 on May 31, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Bloop posted:

Take yourself a nice piece of warpstone as a treat.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I think Musk just relates to stories about a world where work is elective and all labor can be done for you "off-screen." He's like "finally, a story where the protagonists aren't remotely concerned about that 'financial security' nonsense."

Either that or he listened to one of his co-workers talk about it while he was at Paypal and thought the names sounded cool and hip. It's probably this

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
^post/username/avatar combination of the year so far

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I've just started my regular culture re-reading so this speaks to me. If there's more memes then please post em!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

finally

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Memento posted:

^post/username/avatar combination of the year so far

I have a feeling that photo #3 required several dozen takes and a bit of bloodletting.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Big fan of the petrine cross and ice cream here

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

https://twitter.com/LCRWnews/status/1266959114325786626

I'm the worthless funko pops on the top shelf that people won't even bother to steal. LOL

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

haven't read any of these books this is referencing, but I have to step in to object.

Using the centrifugal effect to simulate gravity is obviously a common thing in both science fiction and sometimes real life.

But, as is implied by the name of the theory that explains gravity, the pull of gravity is "relative." That means that two observers who are moving differently may disagree about the strength of gravity in a particular location (and both be correct). For example, if you are in an elevator that is not moving relative to the Earth, you'll conclude that you're feeling 1g of gravity. On the other hand, if you're in an elevator that is rocketing "upwards," accelerating at 9.8 m/s2 in empty space far away from any planets, you'd also conclude that you're feeling 1g of gravity. But to an outside observer floating around in space not moving relative to the Earth, these two situations have wildly different gravity - the first, 1g, the second, 0g. And the thing is, no one is "wrong." Both frames of reference are equally valid. This is the key insight that led Einstein to develop the theory of general relativity in the first place, and it's called the "equivalence principle": gravity and acceleration are locally indistinguishable.

So if both of those observers activate an "anti-grav harness," what happens? Well, what does an anti-grav harness do? Does it set gravity to 0? If so, what does it do to the observer in the rocket-elevator in space? Do they get their 1g of gravity negated and float in their elevator? Or do they get their 0g of gravity negated and still feel the acceleration? The only way to resolve this paradox of perspective is to say that the anti-grav harness zeroes out gravity in its own frame of reference, for there is no other frame of reference that it might prefer. And so even though an outside observer wouldn't think of this as "gravity," the anti-grav harness would negate the effect of the acceleration and you would float in the accelerating elevator. Thus, your buddy who jumped off the balcony is fine. The effect of the centripetal acceleration actually is gravity, from the perspective of the anti-grav harness.

What makes a lot more physical sense, anyway, would be for the anti-grav harness to simply create a gravitational force in some direction and strength specified by the user, basically a gravity-powered jetpack. Then of course we don't even have to worry about the nature of the acceleration causing them to fall - they can counteract it with artificial gravity in the same way that they could counteract it with a jetpack or whatever.

Anyways, press F to pay respects to Iain M. Bank's understanding of gravity.