Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Thanks! Riichi is my preferred rule set, but my brother is Chinese and refuses to play “a Japanese distortion” of mahjong.

Same, and my wife's family likewise, haha. Mahjong soul has an event going right now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Thanks! Riichi is my preferred rule set, but my brother is Chinese and refuses to play “a Japanese distortion” of mahjong.

My ex is Chinese, and hooooooo boy was Japan Vs China a no-no topic. It's almost like there's this incredibly long and sore history between the two that you should never ever ever bring up in casual conversation :v:

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Infinitum posted:

I've been trying to hunt down the Blue version here in Australia, but Red seems to be the only thing in stock.

I don't want volcanoes I want lakes!

Though I could retheme it to be bushfires instead :thunk:

It's the same with the new version.

No fool wants hiking trials or cacti, clearly everybody is trees and canyons. But will I buy both to achieve this?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's odd, but the one thing stopping me from backing the new Challenge version is that it comes with 4 boards instead of 6 in the original game.

My gaming group is usually 5ish+ so it's a bit of a minor deal breaker (Even though I'm aware you can buy extra boards as addons)
Who knows I may end up backing, cause it looks really neat regardless.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Infinitum posted:

My ex is Chinese, and hooooooo boy was Japan Vs China a no-no topic. It's almost like there's this incredibly long and sore history between the two that you should never ever ever bring up in casual conversation :v:

Yuuuuup. My wife's grandfather purportedly had stories that he flat out refused to talk about or tell.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Infinitum posted:

It's odd, but the one thing stopping me from backing the new Challenge version is that it comes with 4 boards instead of 6 in the original game.

My gaming group is usually 5ish+ so it's a bit of a minor deal breaker (Even though I'm aware you can buy extra boards as addons)
Who knows I may end up backing, cause it looks really neat regardless.
I was interested in backing but, like a lot of cheaper Kickstarters, I was put off by the shipping costs. Given time it will be available in retail and maybe I can catch a copy there and not more than double the price of the game.

In Tiny Epic discussion talk, I think I have narrowed it down to zombies or dinos. Is there anybody who has played both and is willing to help a fellow goon out in their decision making?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pBXSGZtS5E&t=8s

I'd love to play in a full 18 player game of Western Empires plus Eastern Empires at some point. Does anyone on here have war stories from playing Advanced Civilization/Mega Civilization?

We did it once about two years ago with MEGA CIV (before it was cool) and it was looonnnngggg but about 50% were new players. My friend and I admin'd full time because it required two full time admins. I don't think it's ideal but it's something to behold and people still talk about it. I just think that the downtime was exacerbated and that the people who were behind felt the minutes.

My only advice should you manage to organise it is that you ensure strict time limits and have a good system for sorting the trade goods. Also, a megaphone for shouting at people to tell you their census info.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Redundant posted:

I was interested in backing but, like a lot of cheaper Kickstarters, I was put off by the shipping costs. Given time it will be available in retail and maybe I can catch a copy there and not more than double the price of the game.

In Tiny Epic discussion talk, I think I have narrowed it down to zombies or dinos. Is there anybody who has played both and is willing to help a fellow goon out in their decision making?

I haven't played Dinos, but Zombies is pretty decent. I'd still recommend Tactics, Mechs or Galaxies over either, but if they're not for you then no problem.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Jedit posted:

I haven't played Dinos, but Zombies is pretty decent. I'd still recommend Tactics, Mechs or Galaxies over either, but if they're not for you then no problem.
I should've said that I'm probably going to pick up Ultra Tiny Epic Galaxies to get the expansions as well and save a little money overall.

Mechs looks cool and I appreciate the Itemeeples but I have Colt Express to act as a silly programming showdown. Mechs might even be the better game but having two similar games eating each others lunch seems wasteful.

I'm not sure why Tactics doesn't appeal so much, I nearly back the Kickstarter but for some reason I've cooled on it since then. Maybe I will check it out properly again and reconsider.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

VoodooXT posted:

My FLGS (Game Empire in Pasadena) is closing permanently. :smith:

Yeah what a tough year for Chuck's wife, losing him and then the store. I understand that the stock of the store went to the San Diego Game Empire....maybe once this is over they can open for gaming again.

The way the store was set up, it catered to players of games. There was a huge area for miniature gaming, MtG, RPG's, and regular board gaming. So people bought the games from Game Empire because the games they wanted were right there on the spot. Amazon can do a lot of things, but putting stuff you want in your hands in less than 3 minutes is not one of them. A lot of people appreciated Game Empire's space and support for tabletop gaming and bought their games from them just because of that. Game Empire never charged for space, nor did they make you only play games that they sold. I brought games there that they didn't have and it was never an issue. Curbside would never have worked for them as they charged full price for games and without people being able to play and get stuff as they were playing, there was no reason to buy from them.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I'd love to play in a full 18 player game of Western Empires plus Eastern Empires at some point. Does anyone on here have war stories from playing Advanced Civilization/Mega Civilization?

I am a co-designer for Advanced Civ. Our games were generally pretty friendly. One thing about going to war in Advanced Civ is that with experienced play, you can see where any combat is going to come from. Also while people are not excited about getting calamities, the game engine is built on taking down the leader and the leader is usually obvious, as they have the most cities. Sometimes the best thing to do is deliberately stay at 3-5 cities and then try to sprint at the end. I miss playing it very much, but it really only plays well with seven and it's hard (impossible now) to get that many people together for a 8+ hour game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Alright, so discussion about the video made me post. I've only played it 3-4 times so far, with 5-7 players, either east or west map. One day I'll play 12+.

This game is amazing. I won't rant about Quinns complaining about the game here. First off, you want to vet people who will play for 2nd/3rd/16th place. It's one of those games. History may remember your tiny bit of contribution to world events, even if it's to say "The Minoans mysteriously disappeared around the bronze age for reasons unknown (player left)." Pretty much everything you do in the game including securing second place is thematic. Frantically trading and grabbing tech in a bid to survive? Securing your borders near the end of the game, "securing second" but leaving a question about the upcoming stagnation that's about to befall your empire? Rumors about you spreading the plague to others? All thematic.

I'll start with the plague story: So in the game, you're supposed to only tell the person you're trading 2 out of the 3 (or more) cards. There's an implication that you're not supposed to tell others, but whispers start happening anyway. Knowing glances or looks sometimes. In any case, one time, friend of mine had the plague card. Gave it to someone else. Person started frantically trying to trade it to others, and we surmised it was plague since it was from stack X. So another player shut down trading with that player but would trade with others. But another player was seen to be trading with the plague-bearer. So another player stops trading too. And like a stack of dominos early on in the healthy trading session, everyone stopped trading and shut out their borders. Find out a couple players had even worse calamities but would rather suffer them than trade.

The League: Early in a game, couple friends misunderstand each other about where the acceptable border was and who attacks the other's population overgrowth. No big deal, little kerfuffle. Mentions it, says it's no big deal. Later on in the game, mid/late bronze I think, the player who was offended says they need just another city and maybe a few resources. They say they're just getting it back from the earlier offense - their elders remember. This prompts the attacked player to start ramping up forces in the area. This is somewhere between Assyria and Hatti. This goes back and forth the entire game. A couple interested parties see the weakness and form a union, including Egypt. Just reroute their armies along the sea. I'm the Minoans and have mastered sail. Upon seeing this, I of course start an amphibious assault on Egypt and ended up sharing the Nile by the end of the game.

The Black Market: Middle of a game, friend's position and tech means he's not really affected too negatively by calamities. Or he bounces back easily. Or is the beneficiary. Becomes a black market where others can launder their trading goods, for a price of course. He becomes something like the Zeth in Sidereal Confluence: Trading and Negotiation In The Elysian Quadrant. Doesn't like you? You're getting hit with calamities. Becomes so powerful that he forms an empire and starts taxing everyone. Other players are tired of his poo poo, and of course we've heard the ongoings through trade. Even if you were just slightly superstitious or religious? This dude summoned up storms on your doorstep. Tried to destroy him, with wars going on for ages, but eventually he wins. Dragged the game out for probably a couple extra hours, but was worth it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Awww now I want to play Empires/Civ for a whole day.

Don't think anyone in my extended gaming groups owns any of them though.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Like Mayveena said, in Civ/ACiv people would deliberately stay at certain city counts to avoid certain calamities (*cough civil war*) and be wary of people who were higher because they knew they could be trading for a way nastier calamity than they could have drawn. If you go ahead with a trade that seems too good to be true you should be getting some insane goods out of it and finishing a set that can give you the gas you need to hop back into contention. Similarly in Mega Civ/WE if you know what you're doing you know that Regression and Piracy are in the 9 deck. You only get 9s via insane city counts or deliberately buying them. Veterans know that sitting at 9 cities is a potentially game losing scenario, especially if you're buying more on top of that because it has happened in several games that someone gets greedy and eats a regression and loses their lead all to try and get maybe another gold or ivory.

I was with Quinns for about half the video before the complaints started. I'm sympathetic to the game length concerns and the feeling of being out of it but part of this feels like an issue I've been grappling with and would be curious about the thread's opinion: that is, most of his problems are mitigated by playing the game more and learning what to do but when the game is so long and people are not having as good a time, how do you get there? Is it just a matter of taste? I know the first time I played Adv Civ I was blown away and the hours flew by because I was engaged the entire time. I wanted more. The way Quinns talks it sounds like he was slowly pulling teeth?

Is the answer to do shorter bursts of the game and maybe whet people's appetites until everyone knows what they're doing and can compete properly?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

VoodooXT posted:

My FLGS (Game Empire in Pasadena) is closing permanently. :smith:

When my FLGS re-opens, assuming they do, I intend to buy some poo poo there. I don't even really want any new games right now. I just want them to continue to exist.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

FulsomFrank posted:

Like Mayveena said, in Civ/ACiv people would deliberately stay at certain city counts to avoid certain calamities (*cough civil war*) and be wary of people who were higher because they knew they could be trading for a way nastier calamity than they could have drawn. If you go ahead with a trade that seems too good to be true you should be getting some insane goods out of it and finishing a set that can give you the gas you need to hop back into contention. Similarly in Mega Civ/WE if you know what you're doing you know that Regression and Piracy are in the 9 deck. You only get 9s via insane city counts or deliberately buying them. Veterans know that sitting at 9 cities is a potentially game losing scenario, especially if you're buying more on top of that because it has happened in several games that someone gets greedy and eats a regression and loses their lead all to try and get maybe another gold or ivory.

I was with Quinns for about half the video before the complaints started. I'm sympathetic to the game length concerns and the feeling of being out of it but part of this feels like an issue I've been grappling with and would be curious about the thread's opinion: that is, most of his problems are mitigated by playing the game more and learning what to do but when the game is so long and people are not having as good a time, how do you get there? Is it just a matter of taste? I know the first time I played Adv Civ I was blown away and the hours flew by because I was engaged the entire time. I wanted more. The way Quinns talks it sounds like he was slowly pulling teeth?

Is the answer to do shorter bursts of the game and maybe whet people's appetites until everyone knows what they're doing and can compete properly?

It's a question of getting more people on board and people understanding not every game will be fun for them. The people vying for the lead and in contention are going to have a better time than the player than gets marginalised. So then you need players who are happy to simply make up the numbers, but then players who are just making up the numbers make the game worse for everyone else so it's a thorny issue for long high player count games. At a certain point you need an amount of system-mastery to understand what can happen in the game, with a game you're going to play so rarely people aren't going to get to that level or simply not be interested enough to try. It's always bullshit in a game where you just have to 'know' the threshold for certain events which can blow you up.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 29, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
The bit about the game not respecting your time is what irks me. You don’t play a game like Civ without knowing what you’re in for and playing it because you want that experience. If you’re not ok with the length, that’s not the game being disrespectful of your time, that’s you not being cognizant of what you’re getting into. And it’s not in the realm of bad designs that can stall out and take forever for shallow games (like the 5+ hour game of Nemesis I just heard about on a podcast).

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

If I were to play mega civ in a public setting I would make sure the other players aren’t the type to complain they’re last in a game and that they respect playing for 2nd..or 17th. Even leaving the game is thematic. Some cultures just “vanish” and you could say they were embroiled in a civil war or other calamities such that neighbors didn’t want to enter their territory.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

The bit about the game not respecting your time is what irks me. You don’t play a game like Civ without knowing what you’re in for and playing it because you want that experience. If you’re not ok with the length, that’s not the game being disrespectful of your time, that’s you not being cognizant of what you’re getting into. And it’s not in the realm of bad designs that can stall out and take forever for shallow games (like the 5+ hour game of Nemesis I just heard about on a podcast).

Exactly BL. Advanced Civ/WE doesn't lie about what it is, so where's the beef? This comes back to an SVAG episode a few back where they were talking about AP and the need to win (yes I realize I said I wasn't listening to them anymore, but I've since decided that I will listen to the 'main' part of their episodes if I'm interested in the subject. I completely skip the game discussion, it's usually pretty irrelevant for me) To me, if you sit down to a 8 player game and are mad because you were out of it, that's on you. If you need to win or be at least competitive in every game you play (I know someone like this) then Advanced Civ/18xx are not for you. Because experienced players in both genres will happily trash you. So instead of being so hung up on winning, try learning instead and then one day you can be the one doing the trashing, who knows?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

You don’t play a game like Civ without knowing what you’re in for and playing it because you want that experience.

Yeah the first time I played TI I knew I was going to be spending at least 10+ hours of my day playing it, and I had a pretty good idea of what to expect and I wanted to sit at that table being Space Snakes.
You wouldn't invite someone to your table to play a game like this who has played "a little Catan here and there".

Like there's 'easy' solutions to getting knocked out early as well. Just become another players Major Domo*cough*slave and start brokering deals on their behalf.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Chill la Chill posted:

If I were to play mega civ in a public setting I would make sure the other players aren’t the type to complain they’re last in a game and that they respect playing for 2nd..or 17th. Even leaving the game is thematic. Some cultures just “vanish” and you could say they were embroiled in a civil war or other calamities such that neighbors didn’t want to enter their territory.

No disagreement but I will say that being hard out of contention in Civ kinda blows if your city count is low because your trading options can be hilariously limited and often you may be sitting there sadly staring at everyone running around trading up a storm while you've got some pathetic quantity of low-quality goods. That said, there's nothing stopping you from trading your paper clip into a Ferrari so have at it!

Generally I hate when people leave early so I've set hard time limits on our games if we've got people on the fence so that way people for sure know what they're getting into with a start and stop. time and it mostly prevents people "surprise" bailing because you know what's left.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

No disagreement but I will say that being hard out of contention in Civ kinda blows if your city count is low because your trading options can be hilariously limited and often you may be sitting there sadly staring at everyone running around trading up a storm while you've got some pathetic quantity of low-quality goods. That said, there's nothing stopping you from trading your paper clip into a Ferrari so have at it!

Generally I hate when people leave early so I've set hard time limits on our games if we've got people on the fence so that way people for sure know what they're getting into with a start and stop. time and it mostly prevents people "surprise" bailing because you know what's left.

That actually shouldn't happen if people are keeping the city leaders down. If people lose tokens, there should be room for other players to expand, and they should be aggressively expanding if their token count is low. Naturally this is dependent on starting the game with enough potential room, ie don't start Asia if Assyria and Thrace are already taken.

It's funny how hobby gaming culture has changed. When we designed Advanced Civ, we were expecting a completely different approach to the game, a more aggressive approach. Now that heads down euros are so popular, it's hard for some players to see the potential of a position.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 29, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

My copy of Pandemic: Hot Zone - North America arrived today and I gave it a solo spin in 2 player mode.

It's lovely. It's literally just a mini version of Pandemic you can play in 30min.
Comes with Crisis Cards to shuffle into the deck, for extra difficulty, which are basically gently caress You Cards.

Does exactly what I bought it for. Now I have the option to crack out the full game for a longer session, or a mini-version as a filler game between larger games.
Solid price point as well. Nice little pickup.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh yeah, definitely. The game doesn't have binding agreements, but you can soft-enforce vassalage and potential backstabbing/explosive resurgence through the use of calamities.

I asked goose if there was a map problem with the new game (the Asia problem) and he didn't spot any. If you've given a look at the map for each player count, Mayveena, have you spotted any?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I do have to agree that a different map projection would have been helpful with the squish in the eastern Med

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Infinitum posted:

How does Hero Quest hold up as a game for like.. adults? Cause I owned that + Space Hulk as a kid and I remember them ruling from a ~pure imagination~ perspective.

Bums me out that I've lost both copies somewhere along the line, cause they'd be lovely talking pieces these days :allears:

I can't really comment on space hulk but HQ is still fairly unbalanced towards the players, which to be clear is ok for that type of campaign style fixed game but the zargon player may take it pretty sour that they don't have much chance, a common problem with these types of games. Ultimately it just isn't that deep either, so YMMV on it

Of course the primary attracting factor really just is that sweet hit of nostalgia and the cool rear end cardboard/plastic furniture. Every now and then i open my copy up and just go through it a little bit. i even have some of my old player character sheets from 30 years ago in the box

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Countblanc posted:

i dont think i could convince my friends to come over and hang out while we all did our own jigsaw puzzles on the table

During stay at home we all played this

https://jigsawpuzzles.io

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sloober posted:

I can't really comment on space hulk but HQ is still fairly unbalanced towards the players, which to be clear is ok for that type of campaign style fixed game but the zargon player may take it pretty sour that they don't have much chance, a common problem with these types of games. Ultimately it just isn't that deep either, so YMMV on it

I thought HQ was meant less as an asymmetric boardgame and more as babby's first RPG, with Zargon as a DM rather than a competitor. At least that's how we played it. :shrug:

Sloober posted:

from 30 years ago

ffffuuck :negative:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
lol yeah, i got it in 1990 when it came out in the US

Straight White Shark posted:

I thought HQ was meant less as an asymmetric boardgame and more as babby's first RPG, with Zargon as a DM rather than a competitor. At least that's how we played it. :shrug:

for sure but it's something to keep in mind that you will probably notice more as an adult, and just make sure the guy playing zargon knows that. it's just not very good thought viewed as an adult tbqh

Sloober fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 29, 2020

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Redundant posted:

I should've said that I'm probably going to pick up Ultra Tiny Epic Galaxies to get the expansions as well and save a little money overall.

Just so you know, Tiny Epic Galaxies is a decent light game--maybe the best game with a yatzee mechanic--but the expansions all suck.

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here

Sloober posted:

lol yeah, i got it in 1990 when it came out in the US

for sure but it's something to keep in mind that you will probably notice more as an adult, and just make sure the guy playing zargon knows that. it's just not very good thought viewed as an adult tbqh

There's a megathread on BGG that catalogs a bunch of modern dungeon crawlers. https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1848358/dungeon-crawler-collector-2020

The only ones on the list that I have played are the D&D adventure games (Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon) and Thunderstone Quest. The D&D board games are pretty neat and don't use a DM. In terms of gameplay they're more like Pandemic or Forbidden Island camouflaged with a ton of mini's, stats and a D20. Thunderstone Quest is a deckbuilder and only a dungeon crawler in a thematic sense.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

With May wrapping up, what are everyones pickups for the month?

I've nabbed:
- Cartographers: A Roll Player Tale
- Chinatown
- Fugitive
- Pandemic: Hot Zone - North America
- Railroad Ink - Blazing Red (gently caress it I'll retheme it to be bushfires, which is appropriately :australia:)
- Skull

I backed:
- Frosthaven
- Steampunk Rally Fusion - Atomic Deluxe Edition

I'm currently backing:
- A War of Whispers: Dark Alliances Collectors Edition - 5 days to go
- Tiny Epic Pirates - All In Deluxe - 10 days to go

Next weekend is the Queens Birthday long weekend so I have a strategy day planned for the Saturday with: Xia, Fury of Dracula, and Chinatown.
Currently trying to organise a second day for the Monday and give: Cartographers, Railroad Ink, and Skull a crack.

A good month

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

What's the best Tiny Epic game? I'd like to give those a try but I'm assuming there are a few duds I should avoid.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Eraflure posted:

What's the best Tiny Epic game? I'd like to give those a try but I'm assuming there are a few duds I should avoid.

I've only played Galaxies, but I believe that one is still best regarded. BGG rank seems to agree, with Galaxies being 253, and the rest mostly hovering in the 1-2K area.

(Funny enough it changed to 254 as I was typing this post. It's garbo now, I guess.)

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Railroad ink is good and they have a kickstarter going for the new editions they are making.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

My May list is pretty basic

I've nabbed:
- Nations
- The Crew

I backed:
- The Ratcatcher
- Steampunk Rally Expansion

I'm currently backing:
- Capital Lux 2
- Railroad Ink
- BUTTER HUB - A smarter butter dish (lol)

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here

Eraflure posted:

I enjoyed Kingdoms and they effectively re-made it in (way too)big form with Heroes of Air, Land and Sea.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I'm having trouble embedding images so just gonna leave links out there.

I have more or less finished up my travel game kit that I will keep in my car's back seat for access to decent games anywhere.
https://imgur.com/a/4Yn9HKs

First in the lunchbox are the high player count/party games. Codename Pictures, Perudo/Liars Dice, Monikers, Pinnacle, and a deck of plastic/waterproof cards .
https://imgur.com/a/4DcT6KT

Then in the box, which is a photo case I found on Amazon, I have room for 16 games. Here is what I'm currently packing:
Arboretum
Valley of the Kings Afterlife
High Society
Lost Cities Rivals
Shipwreck Arcana plus promos and expansion
Las Vegas/Vegas Dice Game
Deep Sea Adventure
For Sale
Love Letter and Pairs
Sellswords Olympus
Fox in the Forest
Schotten Totten
Hanamikoji
Targi (not all tokens, will use dice from Las Vegas to help keep track)
Exceed Ryu/Ken demo deck
Another deck of plastic/waterproof cards (I think they're really cool okay)
https://imgur.com/a/BQGFa0C https://imgur.com/a/torQ7c9

Aside from knowing in my heart of hearts that I will never actually use this meaningfully, I am pretty happy with what I was able to stuff in here. I still have space for one more game. The current candidates that I have not tried yet are are Dungeon Mayhem, Maskmen, or Insider. I could also use it to keep Sellswords vanilla, save room for Targi Expansion and tokens, or grab more Exceed or Battlecon decks. May also look into seeing if Fox and Forest Duet is worth playing.

I feel like I may have too many auctions (For Sale, High Society, Lost Cities Rivals) and 2p area control games (Hanamikoji, Schotten Totten). I could justify cutting one of High Society/For Sale and one of Hanamikoji/Schotten Totten for more open spots, but I'm already kind of running out of ideas. Also kind of want to toss Arboretum because although the hand management and tile placement hybrid is cool, the scoring may be too obtuse to want to sit down with casually (and the tile placement may be solved? Idk). I could also see tossing VotK because trying to remember it's exact nuance between plays after having internalized so many deck builders may prove frustrating.

I don't have a hidden role game. I did Kickstart Dracula Feast, but realized that I would never play it. Also, I hate hidden role games so I probably shouldn't really have one. Thinking Insider might be enough of a bridge for me.

So yeah, compliment/critique my choices and packing. Also give me ideas for how to fill the remaining 1-4 spots. Looking for something that feels different than what I already have. I noticed that I don't have a Roll and Write, but most just barely don't fit the cases. Probably no more 2P games unless it does something really clever. Would be nice to have another coop that isn't Shipwreck Arcana, Codenames Duet, Hanabi, or The Mind. Something like Schotten Totten sized, around 80 cards and a few tokens, is about max capacity. I have no clue how I got Las Vegas or Shipwreck Arcana in.

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 31, 2020

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Shadow225 posted:

I'm having trouble embedding images so just gonna leave links out there.

I have more or less finished up my travel game kit that I will keep in my car's back seat for access to decent games anywhere.
https://imgur.com/a/4Yn9HKs

First in the lunchbox are the high player count/party games. Codename Pictures, Perudo/Liars Dice, Monikers, Pinnacle, and a deck of plastic/waterproof cards .
https://imgur.com/a/4DcT6KT

Then in the box, which is a photo case I found on Amazon, I have room for 16 games. Here is what I'm currently packing:
Arboretum
Valley of the Kings Afterlife
High Society
Lost Cities Rivals
Shipwreck Arcana plus promos and expansion
Las Vegas/Vegas Dice Game
Deep Sea Adventure
For Sale
Love Letter and Pairs
Sellswords Olympus
Fox in the Forest
Schotten Totten
Hanamikoji
Targi (not all tokens, will use dice from Las Vegas to help keep track)
Exceed Ryu/Ken demo deck
Another deck of plastic/waterproof cards (I think they're really cool okay)
https://imgur.com/a/BQGFa0C https://imgur.com/a/torQ7c9

Aside from knowing in my heart of hearts that I will never actually use this meaningfully, I am pretty happy with what I was able to stuff in here. I still have space for one more game. The current candidates that I have not tried yet are are Dungeon Mayhem, Maskmen, or Insider. I could also use it to keep Sellswords vanilla, save room for Targi Expansion and tokens, or grab more Exceed or Battlecon decks. May also look into seeing if Fox and Forest Duet is worth playing.

I feel like I may have too many auctions (For Sale, High Society, Lost Cities Rivals) and 2p area control games (Hanamikoji, Schotten Totten). I could justify cutting one of High Society/For Sale and one of Hanamikoji/Schotten Totten for more open spots, but I'm already kind of running out of ideas. Also kind of want to toss Arboretum because although the hand management and tile placement hybrid is cool, the scoring may be too obtuse to want to sit down with casually (and the tile placement may be solved? Idk). I could also see tossing VotK because trying to remember it's exact nuance between plays after having internalized so many deck builders may prove frustrating.

I don't have a hidden role game. I did Kickstart Dracula Feast, but realized that I would never play it. Also, I hate hidden role games so I probably shouldn't really have one. Thinking Insider might be enough of a bridge for me.

So yeah, compliment/critique my choices and packing. Also give me ideas for how to fill the remaining 1-4 spots. Looking for something that feels different than what I already have. I noticed that I don't have a Roll and Write, but most just barely don't fit the cases. Probably no more 2P games unless it does something really clever. Would be nice to have another coop that isn't Shipwreck Arcana, Codenames Duet, Hanabi, or The Mind. Something like Schotten Totten sized, around 80 cards and a few tokens, is about max capacity. I have no clue how I got Las Vegas or Shipwreck Arcana in.

Bang! the dice game is semi-co-op (kinda sorta), more or less fills a roll and write niche (although you dont write anything), and is real small (30 cards, 5 dice and about 50 tokens, and most of the tokens could honestly be ditched). It does have hidden roles though if thats an absolute deal breaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I'm assuming you have coins in there because of For Sale. With those coins you can play Turin Market.

Port Royal is perfectly decent push your luck