Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Along with what Cardiovorax already said, don't think this is a monkey to man simulator either.

It's monkey to slightly smarter monkey.

:confused: Why did you repeat yourself???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Angry Lobster posted:

Finished my replay run of Shadow Warrior (2013), man, what a great game, my only regret is that you can't play with the fully upgraded sword from the beginning, I know it would make the game a cake walk, even in insane difficulty, but it would be a fun time.

I bounced off that hard in my current backlog speed run. I beat the first level but it just seems to be lacking what I loved about Doom and Prey.

Like Alien Rage. The game is gorgeous and I want to love it but the controller bindings were hosed and even on the lowest setting I was getting wrecked. I'm just not good enough at the classic hard FPS to enjoy what looked like a blast of a score attack arcade FPS.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 30, 2020

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Tarezax posted:

:confused: Why did you repeat yourself???

I saw this coming as I wrote the original post, but dammit, it was worth it.

:downsrim:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I guess Cold War Surrealism is just going to be an upcoming subgenre now?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUgDQlx36qA
I can dig it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm fine with this.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

pentyne posted:

I bounced off that hard in my current backlog speed run. I beat the first level but it just seems to be lacking what I loved about Doom and Prey.

Like Alien Rage. The game is gorgeous and I want to love it but the controller bindings were hosed and even on the lowest setting I was getting wrecked. I'm just not good enough at the classic hard FPS to enjoy what looked like a blast of a score attack arcade FPS.

Honestly, I doubt I could ever enjoy this game with a controller, the real meat of the combat system revolves around the sword and ki powers, which seems too messy with a controller, though I'm a classic pc gamer guy, so I may be kinda biased there.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah why the hell would you play that on a controller unless you're forced to

:pcgaming:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah why the hell would you play that on a controller unless you're forced to

:pcgaming:

THANK YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Rimworld: I really like how the Royalty DLC adds quests, it's the kind of flavor I always wanted? And they fit the theme so well. "hey babysit my pet caribou for 12 days please thanks" "hey here's a political prisoner hold them for a week until I can ship them off" "hey can you kill these guys for me?" and the prizes are ridiculous and fun

Here's a screenshot of a wacky weather quest, and another shot that has nothing special, it's just a nice shot of part of my home.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Along with what Cardiovorax already said, don't think this is a monkey to man simulator either.

It's monkey to slightly smarter monkey.
they're apes op

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's apes into slightly different kinds of apes, including homo sapiens.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ummm Stardew Valley x Wind Waker??? holy poo poo

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

That’s a day one but for me! Holy poo poo!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I got burned on Oceanhorn for a similar "its like Zelda but X" so I'll definitely wait on it.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
There's a demo if you want to at least form an opinion

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1318420/Summer_in_Mara_Prologue/

I looked into the devs catalog out of curiosity and their previous game, Deiland, is in my library and I have absolutely no recollection of purchasing so might as well take a look later.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I couldn't say how good of an actual game it'll turn out to be but I'm certain it'll be adorable

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

haldolium posted:

"November 28, 2018
"Darksiders 3 has just been released to everyone and we’ve decided to use the final/retail..."

the game recieved multiple patches that severely enhanced performance. I don't see how that article is still relevant without reflecting the updates (and possible new drivers). I didn't run into any severe issues in fully streamed levels (transition still can cause a few minor stutters) as of January / February 2019 with a Xeon E3 and 1080 @1440 and have 50-60 on 4k currently with a Ryzen 3700.

Dunno your rig, but DS3 should not have "abysmal" performance since early 2019 on somewhat okay PCs.

never dropping below 60.

note that the game has a default frame lock of unreal typical 62FPS.

weird, maybe there was some tweak that would have improved performance that I missed; I searched a bit and didn't find anything that seemed pertinent. Or maybe it's an issue with the MS Store version (I played via XGP). My CPU isn't exactly top of the line (Ryzen 5 3550H laptop), but there's nothing about the game's design that should make it particularly CPU-intensive.

anyway, finished The Invisible Hours last night in non-VR. pretty interesting design for a narrative game but the story doesn't ultimately make a ton of sense

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Samuringa posted:

I looked into the devs catalog out of curiosity and their previous game, Deiland, is in my library and I have absolutely no recollection of purchasing so might as well take a look later.

From the demo, this seems too janky even for me, someone who frickin' loves My Time at Portia. Like, if it was early access in ~2 weeks, instead of full release, I'd bite, but those 20 minutes felt real undercooked.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ciaphas posted:

I didn't end up attaching very hard to Slay the Spire or most any other deckbuilder so far, but Monster Train has quickly caught my attention and become a big favorite time vacuum

As usual for me it helps that it has some seriously fantastic music. This is the first boss!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBkpmmHGKYg

One little touch that I love is how it puts the name of the track on screen when the battle starts. Really drew my attention to how great the music is.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Has Chaosbane, the Warhammer ARPG, been fixed? Overall reviews are mixed by recent reviews are now very positive.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
I played Total Warhammer 1, what does 2 add exactly? I understand it's more factions, but the map on TW1 is already massive and 2 just adds more map + factions? That seems like it would just end with massive deathballs and endless expansion.

Orv
May 4, 2011

err posted:

I played Total Warhammer 1, what does 2 add exactly? I understand it's more factions, but the map on TW1 is already massive and 2 just adds more map + factions? That seems like it would just end with massive deathballs and endless expansion.

Y'ain't wrong.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

err posted:

It has its own map but you could go full nutso and play the combined maps with the Mortal Campaign.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

err posted:

It adds a much more focused campaign map, which is mostly just the four new main factions (High Elves, Lizardmen, Skaven and Dark Elves) fighting to complete an objective instead of just conquest. You can also mash the two together.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

pentyne posted:

I got burned on Oceanhorn for a similar "its like Zelda but X" so I'll definitely wait on it.
I'll probably wait just because Stardew-y games have all been pretty crappy except for Stardew itself. I did love Graveyard Keeper to tickle that specific autistic OCD lizard brain but I wouldn't recommend it to most.

Oceanhorn was such a poo poo game, turns out it was a mobile port which explained a lot. Ittle Dew was also kinda mediocre

UnderMine is "It's like Zelda but enter the gungeon/binding of isaac/roguelite" is actually good though. https://store.steampowered.com/app/656350/UnderMine/

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

gently caress yes. I put so much time into this game when I was like fifteen

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Samuringa posted:

Deiland was charming, but the gameplay was a bit undercooked. The game limits you to having only 3 crops at once with a long grow timer. Because of that, and also needing to wait for the correct spaceship to randomly land, there were quite a few times where I didn't really have anything I could do to progress and just had to wait. If they've learned their lessons from the previous game, this new one could turn out pretty good.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

err posted:

As others noted, there's a new map you can play on instead of the old one rather than in addition to it. A lot of veteran players enjoy the combined map (and with updates since release, even the base game factions have been improved on that map since the first game stopped being supported), but I prefer the more focused campaign map of the second game, especially now that three of the original game's races also have some degree of playable representation on it, unlocked by DLC in the case of the Empire (though it plays nontraditionally) and Greenskins, and for free in the case of Bretonnia. If more map and more factions doesn't sound appealing, maybe new map and different factions (plus the opportunity to add some variation on three of the originals back in if you choose) will sound better.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

err posted:

It's a better game. Gameplay was expanded upon and improved across the board, unit rosters got fleshed out across all factions, some factions that were poo poo got entirely reworked (still some poo poo ones though) and 2 has far more mod support too.

If you have 2 there's no reason to play 1.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Mara reminds me of that one fishing 2d pixel-art kickstarter game all the way back when kickstarter was starting to become a thing. I guess it didn't pan out since I haven't heard a peep about it over the years.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Det_no posted:

It's a better game. Gameplay was expanded upon and improved across the board, unit rosters got fleshed out across all factions, some factions that were poo poo got entirely reworked (still some poo poo ones though) and 2 has far more mod support too.

If you have 2 there's no reason to play 1.

Thanks for the explanations. Sounds like my plan is to buy 2 and get the DLC if I enjoy the grand campaign.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

err posted:

It kind of works that way, but for most factions the win conditions make 'endless expansion' not really necessary. Up until the most recent patch 'ordertide' was the usual campaign outcome as all of the order races would eventually band together and crush the evil and neutral races. It's still early, but so far the last patch seems to have addressed that but time will tell.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
So I'm looking to buy Far Cry 5 and New Dawn while they're on sale. Is the DLC for Far Cry 5 worth the extra ten bucks? I don't remember hearing anyone ever talking about the DLC

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

bentacos posted:

So I'm looking to buy Far Cry 5 and New Dawn while they're on sale. Is the DLC for Far Cry 5 worth the extra ten bucks? I don't remember hearing anyone ever talking about the DLC
Someone recently posted a video here that reviews the Far Cry DLC and its evaluation of it is very... mixed, let's say. I personally agree with the guy, most of it is not really worth buying or playing. Watch it for yourself here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD8CYW865b4

In other news, I finally got around to playing Hades after I got it for extra cheap on the recent/current EGS sale and oh my God, that certainly is a game. :allears: It's incredibly charming and the controls are super-smooth. I'm glad I'm finally getting in on the fun.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Why do I suddenly have an extra copy of Witcher 1 in my gift inventory?

I own all 3 witcher games myself, and it showed up yesterday. I did buy Thronebreaker last week.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Zedd posted:

Why do I suddenly have an extra copy of Witcher 1 in my gift inventory?

I own all 3 witcher games myself, and it showed up yesterday. I did buy Thronebreaker last week.
Yeah, that's where it comes from. Thronebreaker comes with a number of digital goodies and a free copy of Witcher 1 Enhanced Edition: https://thewitcher.com/en/thronebreaker-witchertales

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, that's where it comes from. Thronebreaker comes with a number of digital goodies and a free copy of Witcher 1 Enhanced Edition: https://thewitcher.com/en/thronebreaker-witchertales

Oh that is neat, thank you.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
As someone who didn't play fc5 but did play fc3+4 I definitely found new dawn worth the 5 bucks on the egs.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I enjoyed FC 5 during this free weekend on Uplay for several hours, but having seen the ending kinda soured me on the game. I mean, it's all about reclaiming and rebuilding. Whenever you free an outpost you get a movie of resistance fighters coming in and cleaning up the mess. But it feels rather pointless when you know it's all ashes in the end.

But I did get to pet a dog. And a bear. And a cougar. And there was another cougar who probably would have loved me to pet her, but I definitely would pass on that. Whoo, boy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
FC5 does one slightly interesting bit with its ending wherein the non-canon ending, where you walk away, is infinitely more interesting from a conceptual standpoint and if you do end up playing FC5 all the way through I strongly recommend doing both, the game'll autosave just before the split.