Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Is that uhh, colorfinger? The goon that did the meat song 15 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I truly did not realize how much flour you use for baking. I was going through one 4 pound bag maybe every six months. Now that I finally got my hands on some yeast, I've knocked out 10 pounds in a week.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

large hands posted:

maybe if i was brewing beer in it or something, i dunno man we're surrounded by plastic. i dont worry too much about dry flour touching it.

I might have literally the same bin and I was trying to figure out what to say to my wife for using it.

Happiness Commando posted:

Two 5 gallon buckets. That way one can stay in the kitchen and the other can stay in the basement.

...this might actually work better for me. Now to locally source 50 pounds of King Arthur Bread Flour. We recently reached a benchmark here where my wife tells me that I need to make bread.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I might have literally the same bin and I was trying to figure out what to say to my wife for using it.

...this might actually work better for me. Now to locally source 50 pounds of King Arthur Bread Flour. We recently reached a benchmark here where my wife tells me that I need to make bread.

Not local but bakersauthority.com sells 50 pound bags. That’s what I bought. After shipping it comes out to a little less per five pound bag at the store...and good luck finding bread flour right now at stores.

Restaurant depot or something might be a local option if they are selling to consumers.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Costco always has lots for a few bucks a bag

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Restaurant Depot did waive membership requirements at the start of the isolation baking craze, not sure if they still are. If you join the Kansas City BBQ Society for like $40/year, you get several day passes to Restaurant Depot. And of course, Costco. I get my sacks of flour (not KA) from Shamrock Food Service Warehouse which only has locations in the southwest. It's around, you just have to do a little legwork sometimes.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

large hands posted:

I'm on my third 25 pound bag of Costco king arthur. THey show no signs of running out any time soon.

gently caress I think I'm going to keep buying that after the coronaclypse ends because it's nice flour and a lot more convenient than getting a five pounder every couple of weeks.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Economies of scale always blow me away for stuff like flour

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I enjoyed this article in baking bread with Lyon’s best baker:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/04/13/baking-bread-in-lyon/amp

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

large hands posted:

Wow. Costco has KA in your area? In mine, it has generic flour that is pure white and unsourced.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Happiness Commando posted:

Two 5 gallon buckets. That way one can stay in the kitchen and the other can stay in the basement.

Basement? You luxurious capitalist.

(I live in Northern California. We are all about the basement-less ranch.)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Wow. Costco has KA in your area? In mine, it has generic flour that is pure white and unsourced.

Yup. We've got two, KA and some other brand I can't remember that is a few bucks cheaper but I want to say had something that kind of turned me off on it. Cna't remember now.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

i just meant lots of flour, i'm in canada where KA doesnt exist but i can buy several varieties of excellent flour there. I usually get Rogers silver star, which is an unbleached, 13.3% protein flour milled from canadian hard red winter wheat

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Any tips for scoring dough?

I've gone from no bread making experience to at least a dozen during the pandemic, including at least two competent sourdoughs. But the best "scoring" I've done was an accident where I dropped the dough into my dutch oven and it hit the side, cracking the surface at the top and making for a fairly decent-looking loaf in the end.

But for the most part, when I try to cut it with a very sharp knife, the dough drags on the blade, even when lubed with oil or water. One time I think I overproofed and my scoring attempt just deflated half of it. Should I be refrigerating?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Chad Sexington posted:

But for the most part, when I try to cut it with a very sharp knife, the dough drags on the blade, even when lubed with oil or water. One time I think I overproofed and my scoring attempt just deflated half of it. Should I be refrigerating?

I am fighting this good fight too and have recently started having success wetting the dough, not the blade. I am also using a razor blade slide onto a chopstick to induce a bend in it. I am not yet convinced the bend matters, but you see a lot of the tools do that.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The bend is the part you're supposed to do the cutting with.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Rolls

Sourdough doughnuts:

Did half in powdered but forgot to take a pic before I packed them up. Fried outside to keep from stinking up the house. Gonna do that more often.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
OMG Trip report on the donuts?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

OMG Trip report on the donuts?

Great. I used the same recipe (Alex and Aki from Ideas in Food have a small doughnut chain now, and this is from their 'Maximum Flavour' cookbook) as last time I posted, and gave them all away (ate 5 plain, one cinnamon sugar, one powdered, I consider this to be an extreme victory of willpower). Pillowy, with a sufficiently-rich dough that even frying them 'til their exterior was crispy left a super moist interior. The recipe calls for 2 pounds of butter and 8 eggs for an approximate kilo of flour. I added 100g of starter, with a pinch of commercial yeast just for insurance. The neighbours / neighbourhood all enjoyed them.

Honestly I'm pretty impressed; they were probably the best yeasted doughnut holes I've ever eaten. The texture was not entirely unlike a Krispy Kreme, except this had structure and actual flavour besides an ultra-sweet flavourless glaze.

I don't think I posted this shot here last time, but someone had asked for a pic of the interior. This is the last batch, but these were basically the same. I cut them all out with a shot glass, so they were slightly smaller than the average doughnut hole.

One thing that I like about this recipe is that you don't really knead it, just a couple of folds. So when you cut all the doughnuts out and have a ball of dough to re-chill and re-roll later, it doesn't really make them tough.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 1, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
That looks/sounds amazing, congrats.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

Great. I used the same recipe (Alex and Aki from Ideas in Food have a small doughnut chain now, and this is from their 'Maximum Flavour' cookbook) as last time I posted, and gave them all away (ate 5 plain, one cinnamon sugar, one powdered, I consider this to be an extreme victory of willpower). Pillowy, with a sufficiently-rich dough that even frying them 'til their exterior was crispy left a super moist interior. The recipe calls for 2 pounds of butter and 8 eggs for an approximate kilo of flour. I added 100g of starter, with a pinch of commercial yeast just for insurance. The neighbours / neighbourhood all enjoyed them.

Honestly I'm pretty impressed; they were probably the best yeasted doughnut holes I've ever eaten. The texture was not entirely unlike a Krispy Kreme, except this had structure and actual flavour besides an ultra-sweet flavourless glaze.

I don't think I posted this shot here last time, but someone had asked for a pic of the interior. This is the last batch, but these were basically the same. I cut them all out with a shot glass, so they were slightly smaller than the average doughnut hole.

One thing that I like about this recipe is that you don't really knead it, just a couple of folds. So when you cut all the doughnuts out and have a ball of dough to re-chill and re-roll later, it doesn't really make them tough.

Is there a :drool: emoticon?

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

Chad Sexington posted:

Any tips for scoring dough?

I've gone from no bread making experience to at least a dozen during the pandemic, including at least two competent sourdoughs. But the best "scoring" I've done was an accident where I dropped the dough into my dutch oven and it hit the side, cracking the surface at the top and making for a fairly decent-looking loaf in the end.

I cut mine with kitchen scissors, it seems to work. :shobon:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

mediaphage posted:

I was thinking that sounded something like a brioche dough, but my extrapolations from a typical recipe suggest that's something like twice the amount of butter. That's an impressive amount of butter. I guess put another way, that's almost 100% baker's weight given a kilo of flour is 2.2 pounds.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

makin bread

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Has one of our resident bread wizards made a goatse loaf yet? Because this is a thing that someone who’s a better hand with a lame than i am should do.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Today's sourdough loaf. Man, that foodbod recipe is solid gold.

https://foodbodsourdough.com/the-process/

I got confused this time and did the first fermentation in the fridge. No worries; took it out of the fridge, let it rise about 4 hours coming to room temperature, then re-fridged for the final rise. My oven runs low, so I bumped the temp to 475 and let it bake longer; I could have gone longer still for a deeper brown.

Also, if you, like me, have trouble getting bread from a banneton into a pot without losing bubbles, the Lodge combo cooker (I think it was recced here before, but a good thing is worth repeating) is a Godsend. Put the skillet part over the banneton, invert, cover with the Dutch oven part, and there you go. It would also be less fiddly when you were doing Jim Lahey's no-knead loaf and trying to juggle the dough into a very hot pan. The major downside: it's heavy.

By far my best crusts come from the faux- Romertopf cloche, though. Soak the clay lid in cold water, put it together, and get a glorious oven spring and glossy crust. Watch your second-hand stores and flea markets. Now if I could only find my brand-new lame...

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I was thinking that sounded something like a brioche dough, but my extrapolations from a typical recipe suggest that's something like twice the amount of butter. That's an impressive amount of butter. I guess put another way, that's almost 100% baker's weight given a kilo of flour is 2.2 pounds.

Yeah, it’s crazy. Despite the enrichment it even gets a night out at room temp then a day in the fridge. Honestly, phenomenal flavour, though. People go nuts for these things.

I have some frozen dough left over from when I cut them out (since this doesn’t get kneaded the rerolls aren’t tough), but I bet you couldn’t bake it without it melting out. I wonder about baking small bits at high heat in a muffin pan.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 1, 2020

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

Wow, the butter quantity is absurd! Now I really want to make those...

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
A pastry dough at two-thirds baker's weight with fat doesn't leak everywhere so maybe it won't?

Having a hard time convincing my wife lol.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

Well, I did once deep-fry cronuts, which had a similarly ridiculous proportion of butter to flour, and the butter did stay mostly in the pastry, since the outside crusts and seals almost immediately, so I can see it working.

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
Ugh. I wanted bread, not Caverns of Moria.

This was Overnight Country Blonde from FWSY. My kitchen was ~78 - 80 F yesterday. I let this bulk for for 5 hours with 4 stretch and folds, then retard in the fridge for 15 hours overnight and into preheated dutch oven at 475F this morning. It looked nice with some large bubbles at the end of bulk. I didn't really see any volume increase, but I thought the gluten was well developed as there was some resistance during the last set of stretch and folds. I also did a quick preshape without a bench rest as I didn't want it to over ferment.

Was the 5 hours of bulk to long? I can't image the cold ferment was the issue. Could I have folded too much air into during shaping?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

PolishPandaBear posted:

This was Overnight Country Blonde from FWSY. My kitchen was ~78 - 80 F yesterday. I let this bulk for for 5 hours with 4 stretch and folds, then retard in the fridge for 15 hours overnight and into preheated dutch oven at 475F this morning. It looked nice with some large bubbles at the end of bulk. I didn't really see any volume increase, but I thought the gluten was well developed as there was some resistance during the last set of stretch and folds. I also did a quick preshape without a bench rest as I didn't want it to over ferment.

Was the 5 hours of bulk to long? I can't image the cold ferment was the issue. Could I have folded too much air into during shaping?

The density combined with the big holes makes me think underproofed, but that doesn't seem likely with your bulk fermentation time.

Meanwhile, I am a coward and tossed in some commercial yeast during bulk ferment on my sourdough yesterday, but it turned out great so I can't really complain.

I did have some trouble with sticking to a new banneton. Any tips for those without rice flour handy to prevent sticking?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

PolishPandaBear posted:

Looks like a bad second rise to me. I'd guess too cold when it went into the oven. An hour or so bench rest after shaping seems like the minimum to me even without a cold ferment.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Made some breads

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Made my first Sourdough today. This is my first attempt after trying a bunch of no-knead loaves. I followed the recipe from the Babish/Weisman video. Mostly happy with some small issues. Bottom crust was a little thick so I’ll use a sheet pan under my Dutch oven next time. I’ll also try to dust with rice flour to prevent scorching.

In the last pic I got a weird fold in the centre of the crumb that appeared to have dried flour in it. Was this a shaping issue?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Dacap posted:

Made my first Sourdough today. This is my first attempt after trying a bunch of no-knead loaves. I followed the recipe from the Babish/Weisman video. Mostly happy with some small issues. Bottom crust was a little thick so I’ll use a sheet pan under my Dutch oven next time. I’ll also try to dust with rice flour to prevent scorching.

In the last pic I got a weird fold in the centre of the crumb that appeared to have dried flour in it. Was this a shaping issue?

Almost certainly a shaping issue when it looks like that. It could have been too much flour on your work surface when building tension, too much on top of the dough mass just before the folds, or a few other things

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

:saddowns:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Cast iron pan full of water in oven for crust purposes on sourdough rolls.

Put pan on stove after I finished the rolls. Got distracted m grabbed pan and burned left hand. Tossed scalding hot water on right.

Good rolls though.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Time posted:

Almost certainly a shaping issue when it looks like that. It could have been too much flour on your work surface when building tension, too much on top of the dough mass just before the folds, or a few other things

That makes sense. Good to know for next time

Dacap fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 2, 2020

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

The density combined with the big holes makes me think underproofed, but that doesn't seem likely with your bulk fermentation time.

Meanwhile, I am a coward and tossed in some commercial yeast during bulk ferment on my sourdough yesterday, but it turned out great so I can't really complain.

I did have some trouble with sticking to a new banneton. Any tips for those without rice flour handy to prevent sticking?

If you have a blender, rice, and a sifter you can make rice flour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Grabbing the red hot cast iron pan handle 2 minutes after taking it out of the oven has stung me at least twice. My brain always manages to scream YOU DUMBASS before my hand even pulls away