Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

KVeezy3 posted:

The premise behind eugenics isn't that you produce copies of the parents, but that superior people are produced via conscious genetic selection. Snyder's Man of Steel explicitly rejects the idea. How do the conceptions of Terry or Damian meaningfully go against it?

I never said anything about Damian. Though if you want, he's a little poo poo no one likes.

Terry is easy- in his own series, in the main canon of his story, he's not Bruce's son. He's just a random rear end kid that got retconned to be after the fact. For all intents and purposes, Terry is just another person who lost their parent to crime- corporate crime, in his case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

not sure how you could say Terry's apple fell very far from Bruce's tree when Terry clearly got the most of his capacity to brood

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

feedmyleg posted:

Batman having an unplanned pregnancy is out of character, duh. The dude canonically has a backup plan for everything. If the condom fails, he's covered because he had his tubes tied. If they untied themselves, then he's using that experimental male birth control from India. If that fails, Batman considers himself a master of the pull-out. If he can outsmart Superman he can drat-well outsmart biology!!

Comic Book Movies Megathread: Batman considers himself a master of the pull-out

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC they did the retcon in part because they realised it made no sense for Terry and his brother to have dark hair when neither of their parents do.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC they did the retcon in part because they realised it made no sense for Terry and his brother to have dark hair when neither of their parents do.

That's an extraordinarily dumb reason for a retcon.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

McSpanky posted:

That's an extraordinarily dumb reason for a retcon.

They clearly had their hands tied, there was no other option but to push eugenics.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Part of me thinks someone had to have had it mind. Terry looks exactly like the Golden Age depiction of kid Bruce Wayne in the Bat-Man origin page.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...when did test tube babies become eugenics? There's a lot of steps between the former and the latter there, and I'm pretty sure Terry and sometimes-Damian are just test tube babies, not specifically-designed superhumans or anything.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
For Terry, it's the idea that Bruce's DNA needs to be out there patroling even after his body fails.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

...when did test tube babies become eugenics? There's a lot of steps between the former and the latter there, and I'm pretty sure Terry and sometimes-Damian are just test tube babies, not specifically-designed superhumans or anything.

I'm hazy on the tenets of eugenics and know poo poo all about those characters but the people who get test tube babies from Batman tend to have an agenda that disqualifies you or me from being the test tube donor. Which sounds pretty eugenicsy to me.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Test tube babies aren't eugenics but using that technology (or any other means, be it social pressure, threat of force, etc) to produce offspring from specific people because they are seen as somehow "superior" to other people is textbook eugenics.

Also goes for denying people the ability to reproduce, either literally or through eradicating their ethnic and cultural identity (see: reservation schools or the current practice of allowing the children of detained undocumented immigrants to be adopted by random people).

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I can't hate Damian because he plays off the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles perfectly.

I watched that movie yesterday and while the story was boilerplate crossover stuff the fight scenes were fun and the character interactions were all so good

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Burkion posted:

Terry is easy- in his own series, in the main canon of his story, he's not Bruce's son. He's just a random rear end kid that got retconned to be after the fact. For all intents and purposes, Terry is just another person who lost their parent to crime- corporate crime, in his case.

But isn't this retcon, which retroactively tinges his main story with genetic superiority vibes, considered canon? Unless you're saying superhero fiction writers/readers no longer care about canon, which would be a welcome development.

Burkion posted:

I never said anything about Damian. Though if you want, he's a little poo poo no one likes.

I like Damian. Though with a caveat: it's limited to one specific interpretation.

https://youtu.be/7z_RgsQEC4k?t=54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSjGvcbaXUc

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 31, 2020

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The Harley Quinn cartoon is probably the best thing DC animation has put out next to the Batman TAS and even TAS is mostly nostalgia

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't doubt that Harley Quinn is good but don't forget Batman The Brave and the Bold.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gatts posted:

The Harley Quinn cartoon is probably the best thing DC animation has put out next to the Batman TAS and even TAS is mostly nostalgia
Yes, the series responsible for creating the character you're praising is mostly nostalgia.

Dude what.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
TAS really didn't hold up for me on a recent viewing of a handful of episodes. I loved all the instincts behind it and the art was gorgeous, but it was much more a kids show than I had remembered or assumed based on its primetime ambitions. I'll give it another shot sometime, but it just wasn't doing it for me after 20 years of distance.

Brave and the Bold is still fantastic, though. I want to check out Harley Quinn as soon as it inevitably makes its way to HBO Max, though I'm worried I'll be turned off by the "We can say 'gently caress' now isn't that so edgy??" attitude that I've heard is somewhat prevalent throughout. But I love Venture Bros enough that I'm willing to give it a shot, as I've heard folks say it's a riff on the same stuff. But not willing enough to get a DC Universe subscription.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

KVeezy3 posted:

But isn't this retcon, which retroactively tinges his main story with genetic superiority vibes, considered canon? Unless you're saying superhero fiction writers/readers no longer care about canon, which would be a welcome development.

Canon is a corporate construct, if you need evidence of this just look at Disney's handling of the Star Wars EU.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

I know that. Canon was brought up to excise the pro-eugenics aspect of Batman Beyond's story.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

TAS really didn't hold up for me on a recent viewing of a handful of episodes. I loved all the instincts behind it and the art was gorgeous, but it was much more a kids show than I had remembered or assumed based on its primetime ambitions. I'll give it another shot sometime, but it just wasn't doing it for me after 20 years of distance.

Brave and the Bold is still fantastic, though. I want to check out Harley Quinn as soon as it inevitably makes its way to HBO Max, though I'm worried I'll be turned off by the "We can say 'gently caress' now isn't that so edgy??" attitude that I've heard is somewhat prevalent throughout. But I love Venture Bros enough that I'm willing to give it a shot, as I've heard folks say it's a riff on the same stuff. But not willing enough to get a DC Universe subscription.

TAS didn't really get "modern" good until S4 with the animation style change, outside a few gems like Feat of Clay. It basically became Justice League/JLU at that point. Hilariously, people initially downed S4 because of the animation change.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't doubt that Harley Quinn is good but don't forget Batman The Brave and the Bold.

Good point, Brave and Bold is great too.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Burkion posted:

Because Bruce and Dick might be the most raped male protagonists in the DC lot

“Might be” is conveying so much about why I haven’t read american cape books in a decade plus

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Has there been any word on if DC Universe will continue, or will it's content get folded into HBOMax and the former shut down? Between the movies I've been meaning to see, Static Shock and Brave and the Bold, it's looking pretty tempting.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Agent Rush posted:

Has there been any word on if DC Universe will continue, or will it's content get folded into HBOMax and the former shut down? Between the movies I've been meaning to see, Static Shock and Brave and the Bold, it's looking pretty tempting.

If anything, AT&T would shut down VRV before DC Universe. DC Universe is more than just another boutique streaming service, since they also have actual comic books on it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I think the word is that WarnerMedia is gonna keep the DC Universe platform around for the hardcore comic book fans. HBO Max is for the folk who want more than just DC related media.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I watched them pretty recently. There are some really stand-out episodes of BTAS but there is also some pretty whatever kids show stuff.

I actually thought that new adventures, Superman TAS and the middle Justice League seasons were more consistently good.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
gently caress an animation, just give me an audiobook of mark hamill as the joker talking poo poo about everyone in the dc universe

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
BTAS holds up incredibly well as a street-level caped crusader show where Batman isn't all-powerful. Power creep hadn't come into play, and he's more emotionally open and fallible to goons and mooks. It is beautifully animated for the time, and incredibly scored by Shirley Walker. It may have some kiddy episodes, but that is intended. It was targeted for kids, but skirted the edge so that adults could enjoy it (like most of the WB animation during that era-Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, Freakazoid, etc.).

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I watched them pretty recently. There are some really stand-out episodes of BTAS but there is also some pretty whatever kids show stuff.

I actually thought that new adventures, Superman TAS and the middle Justice League seasons were more consistently good.
I agree with you, but it's important to remember B:TAS was literally rewriting a million rules on how you did American animated series from tone to design.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JieBCWKcmzs

honestly I can just enjoy B:TAS for the animation quality and direction rather than the plot of the episodes.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Necrothatcher posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JieBCWKcmzs

honestly I can just enjoy B:TAS for the animation quality and direction rather than the plot of the episodes.

Animation quality can vary from episode to episode. Some of those episodes can look rough.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The lovely Batman Beyond twist was almost worth it just for the gag where Terry has the mental image of Bruce jizzing all over town.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Animation quality can vary from episode to episode. Some of those episodes can look rough.

Yeah, Man Bat and Feat of Clay 2 are the literal best animated episodes with a lot of mediocre in between. It didn't get consistent until the style change. Even Mask of the Phantasm is just midrange.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Spacebump posted:

Yeah IIRC Man-Bat was the first episode they made and the first one to get broadcast so they went all out in particular. Also Batman gets a slightly bloody lip at one point in it, I believe it was the only time in BTAS where blood was shown on screen though of course that's way more common in animated DC stuff now.

I remember reading that Man-Bat was originally created to potentially replaced Batman completely, with Bruce becoming stepping back and being a supporting character to him. I think his first appearance even ends with Batman basically talking up how awesome he is and how if only they could set aside their differences/that kind of stuff. Interesting attempt I guess, probably would have actually worked if the Eclipse/etc. horror comics were still a bigger thing with kids.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 1, 2020

Hey Chief
Feb 21, 2013

About two-thirds of BTAS episodes are good to excellent. That still leaves a bunch of mediocre ones, but on the whole it definitely holds up. One thing that really bugs me, though, is how a lot of two-parters have one wonderful-looking episode and then the other one is pretty blah, like Feat of Clay, Two-Face, Robin's Reckoning...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hey Chief posted:

About two-thirds of BTAS episodes are good to excellent. That still leaves a bunch of mediocre ones, but on the whole it definitely holds up. One thing that really bugs me, though, is how a lot of two-parters have one wonderful-looking episode and then the other one is pretty blah, like Feat of Clay, Two-Face, Robin's Reckoning...

Heart of Steel's part II I remember even when I was younger noticing bits of it were off. I know they had a sort of challenge because they had these robotic characters and were going for a sorta choppy Aeon Flux kind of insect movement with them at points but like, nope. Compare to the wiry telescoping drone stuff in the first part.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

IIRC they had several animation houses working on episodes to make the weekly schedule and one of them was significantly worse than the others, while one was a standout that did a lot of top quality anime and went all-out with stuff like the airbrushed frost on Mr. Freeze's helmet and such.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hey Chief posted:

The one I remember is Batgirl dying, Jim Gordon finding out who Bruce is (I think Alfred gets shot?), and then Bane kicks the everloving poo poo out of Batman.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Timby posted:

The one I remember is Batgirl dying, Jim Gordon finding out who Bruce is (I think Alfred gets shot?), and then Bane kicks the everloving poo poo out of Batman.

That's one hell of a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Edward Mass posted:

That's one hell of a day.

Batman's Tuesday.