Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DontMockMySmock posted:

haven't read any of these books this is referencing, but I have to step in to object.

Using the centrifugal effect to simulate gravity is obviously a common thing in both science fiction and sometimes real life.

But, as is implied by the name of the theory that explains gravity, the pull of gravity is "relative." That means that two observers who are moving differently may disagree about the strength of gravity in a particular location (and both be correct). For example, if you are in an elevator that is not moving relative to the Earth, you'll conclude that you're feeling 1g of gravity. On the other hand, if you're in an elevator that is rocketing "upwards," accelerating at 9.8 m/s2 in empty space far away from any planets, you'd also conclude that you're feeling 1g of gravity. But to an outside observer floating around in space not moving relative to the Earth, these two situations have wildly different gravity - the first, 1g, the second, 0g. And the thing is, no one is "wrong." Both frames of reference are equally valid. This is the key insight that led Einstein to develop the theory of general relativity in the first place, and it's called the "equivalence principle": gravity and acceleration are locally indistinguishable.

So if both of those observers activate an "anti-grav harness," what happens? Well, what does an anti-grav harness do? Does it set gravity to 0? If so, what does it do to the observer in the rocket-elevator in space? Do they get their 1g of gravity negated and float in their elevator? Or do they get their 0g of gravity negated and still feel the acceleration? The only way to resolve this paradox of perspective is to say that the anti-grav harness zeroes out gravity in its own frame of reference, for there is no other frame of reference that it might prefer. And so even though an outside observer wouldn't think of this as "gravity," the anti-grav harness would negate the effect of the acceleration and you would float in the accelerating elevator. Thus, your buddy who jumped off the balcony is fine. The effect of the centripetal acceleration actually is gravity, from the perspective of the anti-grav harness.

What makes a lot more physical sense, anyway, would be for the anti-grav harness to simply create a gravitational force in some direction and strength specified by the user, basically a gravity-powered jetpack. Then of course we don't even have to worry about the nature of the acceleration causing them to fall - they can counteract it with artificial gravity in the same way that they could counteract it with a jetpack or whatever.

Anyways, press F to pay respects to Iain M. Bank's understanding of gravity.

Everybody knows gravity is caused by gravitons. Anti-grav gear absorbs or disperses the local gravitons. Duh.

Facebook Aunt has a new favorite as of 20:14 on May 31, 2020

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LOLOLOLOL

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

DontMockMySmock posted:

haven't read any of these books this is referencing, but I have to step in to object.

Using the centrifugal effect to simulate gravity is obviously a common thing in both science fiction and sometimes real life.

But, as is implied by the name of the theory that explains gravity, the pull of gravity is "relative." That means that two observers who are moving differently may disagree about the strength of gravity in a particular location (and both be correct). For example, if you are in an elevator that is not moving relative to the Earth, you'll conclude that you're feeling 1g of gravity. On the other hand, if you're in an elevator that is rocketing "upwards," accelerating at 9.8 m/s2 in empty space far away from any planets, you'd also conclude that you're feeling 1g of gravity. But to an outside observer floating around in space not moving relative to the Earth, these two situations have wildly different gravity - the first, 1g, the second, 0g. And the thing is, no one is "wrong." Both frames of reference are equally valid. This is the key insight that led Einstein to develop the theory of general relativity in the first place, and it's called the "equivalence principle": gravity and acceleration are locally indistinguishable.

So if both of those observers activate an "anti-grav harness," what happens? Well, what does an anti-grav harness do? Does it set gravity to 0? If so, what does it do to the observer in the rocket-elevator in space? Do they get their 1g of gravity negated and float in their elevator? Or do they get their 0g of gravity negated and still feel the acceleration? The only way to resolve this paradox of perspective is to say that the anti-grav harness zeroes out gravity in its own frame of reference, for there is no other frame of reference that it might prefer. And so even though an outside observer wouldn't think of this as "gravity," the anti-grav harness would negate the effect of the acceleration and you would float in the accelerating elevator. Thus, your buddy who jumped off the balcony is fine. The effect of the centripetal acceleration actually is gravity, from the perspective of the anti-grav harness.

What makes a lot more physical sense, anyway, would be for the anti-grav harness to simply create a gravitational force in some direction and strength specified by the user, basically a gravity-powered jetpack. Then of course we don't even have to worry about the nature of the acceleration causing them to fall - they can counteract it with artificial gravity in the same way that they could counteract it with a jetpack or whatever.

It counters the local planetary or artificial gravitational field, as was clearly explained in the briefing the idiot in question wasn't paying attention to. This is not the same as spin gravity, because it's funnier that way. Heh, stupid merc stepped off a ledge.

Meanwhile the Covenant used proper scrith-repelling materials in their Banshees, just in case they ever had to fight on a Ring.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

With enough voltage won't it still work?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/kanamesuzaku/status/1266978917426094080

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

It counters the local planetary or artificial gravitational field, as was clearly explained in the briefing the idiot in question wasn't paying attention to. This is not the same as spin gravity, because it's funnier that way. Heh, stupid merc stepped off a ledge.

Meanwhile the Covenant used proper scrith-repelling materials in their Banshees, just in case they ever had to fight on a Ring.

The "local planetary or artificial gravitational field" loving IS the centrifugal effect ("spin gravity" as you called it). That's the whole loving point of general relativity - those two things, acceleration and gravity, are the same.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

With enough voltage won't it still work?

the dielectric strength of polystyrene is about 20MV/m, so in order to for the electricity to jump through roughly 4-cm block of plastic to your body and then ground to earth, you would need around 800,000 volts.

So the answer to your question is yes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DontMockMySmock posted:

The "local planetary or artificial gravitational field" loving IS the centrifugal effect ("spin gravity" as you called it). That's the whole loving point of general relativity - those two things, acceleration and gravity, are the same.

Wouldn't a centrifugal effect cause us all to fly off the planet? Gravity must be something else.

Centrifugal force only works for the molemen inside the hollow world. Most goons aren't molemen.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Sagebrush posted:

the dielectric strength of polystyrene is about 20MV/m, so in order to for the electricity to jump through roughly 4-cm block of plastic to your body and then ground to earth, you would need around 800,000 volts.

So the answer to your question is yes.

Air is 3MV/m so you can do it a lot lower and without even needing the fork.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Wouldn't a centrifugal effect cause us all to fly off the planet? Gravity must be something else.

Well, yes, but there's also another source of gravity/acceleration in the form of a big ol' mass that pulls us to the center, overwhelming the centrifugal effect.

edit: the centrifugal acceleration you feel on the surface of the earth is about 0.034 m/s2 times the cosine of your latitude. So even at the equator, where it's strongest, it's easily overwhelmed by the 9.8 m/s2 downward from Earth's ordinary gravity.

DontMockMySmock has a new favorite as of 20:56 on May 31, 2020

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

most science in science fiction is just magic with handwaves, hth.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

DontMockMySmock posted:

It's like pressing the like poles of a magnet together but for gravity, I don't know why this is so hard for you

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

Air is 3MV/m so you can do it a lot lower and without even needing the fork.

true. it's a good thing the wall socket is 120v and not 120,000

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Gravity Falls?

How 'bout you Grabba Deez Balls?

Heyoooooo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

theflyingexecutive posted:

liking banks is one of the coolest things about musk

Liking banks and completely missing his politics is pretty lame.

Like textbook example of "let's explore the possibilities and struggles of a radically non hierarchical society" - "wow cool AIs"

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

DontMockMySmock posted:

u mad bro?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

Well, yes, but there's also another source of gravity/acceleration in the form of a big ol' mass that pulls us to the center, overwhelming the centrifugal effect.

edit: the centrifugal acceleration you feel on the surface of the earth is about 0.034 m/s2 times the cosine of your latitude. So even at the equator, where it's strongest, it's easily overwhelmed by the 9.8 m/s2 downward from Earth's ordinary gravity.

All I'm hearing here is that I'm about half a percent lighter at the equator than the poles. Suck on that you haters I'm not fat, just high latituded.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Facebook Aunt posted:

Centrifugal force only works for the molemen inside the hollow world. Most goons aren't molemen.

SOME goons aren't molemen :colbert:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bike tory posted:

All I'm hearing here is that I'm about half a percent lighter at the equator than the poles. Suck on that you haters I'm not fat, just high latituded.

Most people are half a percent lighter at the Equator.

You are so heavy that moving to the Equator will significantly retard the Earth’s rotation via conservation of angular momentum, so you won’t get that much lighter.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Unless the anti-grav harness would also somehow mitigate the impact of deliberately ramming into a wall at full speed, it's not going to do anything about mitigating simulated gravity.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Plagiarize indeed. :colbert:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't know what either of these are

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Homunculi from extremely horny intellectual property fate/stay night. Grown in vats by wizmen so they're older/younger than they look.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Volcott posted:

Homunculi from extremely horny intellectual property fate/stay night. Grown in vats by wizmen so they're older/younger than they look.

thanks, sounds dumb

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

e: looks like it is actually Junji Ito, yes

voiceless anal fricative has a new favorite as of 05:31 on Jun 1, 2020

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

…as far as we know.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

her eyeball clips through her hair

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Our sources stated that he abused kids. We regret the error.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Too soon :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dabir posted:

thanks, sounds dumb

it's Fate so yes it is