Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Jedit posted:

I don't see any point in ranking the Living Dead movies. It's just a straight progression of diminishing returns.
I don't know if diminishing returns is quite the right description because each of the first five films all have a pretty unique feel. Diary and Survival are the first of his films that I struggled to keep straight in my head. That's definitely not true of the other series. Even with Evil Dead, I sometimes forget the deer head freaking out doesn't happen in the first one.

Ben's story and the ending really cut more deeply than anything else in the series for me. But I think there's tons of people who prefer Day and Dawn over Night. I go back and forth between what my number two is.

While Evil Dead doesn't really have a bad movie in its series, I think one thing Dead has is not falling into a formula. Land of the Dead which is often dismissed should get credit for really opening things up in terms of scope.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, "diminishing returns" feels very wrong as a description for the Dead films as all the films, even the bad last couple of sequels, are all doing their own thing. They're all zombie films but they're all very different plots with very different characters and very different messages. Its not un reasonable to say that each sequel is a little less than the previous one but I don't think that's because of "diminishing returns." This franchise is fairly unique in Romero not only directing proper piece of it but always trying to make something a little different instead of just studio copies.

But ranking the films really probably just comes down to whether you like Dawn more than Day and where (or if) Snyder's film fits for you.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

y'all want some loving RESULTS?

I'm gonna take a day or two before going straight into the finals to reflect on how we got here. In the meantime, spin up the longforms for these two titans

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
AAAAHHHHRGGGGHHH >:(

I guess it's the will of the people

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yessss gently caress Jason.

Those margins are... not what I expected.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
gently caress YEA, the silent majority has spoken!
Now all there is left to do is vote for Romero, even though personally I have more fun with ED.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I... don't know if I believe this is true. Are there June 1st pranks? Could Shrek be loving with us? I find it hard to accept this outcome I did not contemplate.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

I, for one, welcome our new Dead overlords

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I don't want to make riot jokes right now, but if NOTLD doesn't beat Evil Dead I will be VERY CROSS, YOU HEAR ME

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I have something very special cooked up for the finals but it's gonna take me a day or so to finish 'shopping so uh.... talk amongst yourselves. here's the full bracket, completed. Is there any franchise you think should've won over the actual finalists? ( ALIEN :kratos: ) Did being a #1 seed and so facing weaker competition until the Frightful Four let unworthies in? Or did they earn their #1 seed and deserved to be in the Frightful Four?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

married but discreet posted:

Now all there is left to do is vote for Romero, even though personally I have more fun with ED.

Yup.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I’m going to need to revisit most of the Dead sequels although I’m leaning that way already.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Looking back across Friday's bracket path and remembering how vulnerable I thought it was and feeding on low seeds until it beat Universal and now how handily Romero crushed him, I'm struck with the nauseating feeling that I really did critically injure the Universals and help Jason win.

I feel gross. But also strangely powerful.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

I have something very special cooked up for the finals but it's gonna take me a day or so to finish 'shopping so uh.... talk amongst yourselves. here's the full bracket, completed. Is there any franchise you think should've won over the actual finalists? ( ALIEN :kratos: ) Did being a #1 seed and so facing weaker competition until the Frightful Four let unworthies in? Or did they earn their #1 seed and deserved to be in the Frightful Four?

This thread gave me a simmering, irrational hatred for Alien. Not only did it defeat Re-Animator, but The Exorcist too. If it knocked out Romero, I'm not sure I would have recovered emotionally.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I was surprised with how much I love Alien as a franchise. If it been on the other side of the brackets, I could easily have seen it taking Evil Dead. The righthand brackets were kind of weak for me. Nothing there really stood a chance against Universal or Romero. Child's Play, Alien, or Friday the 13th are also strong contenders for me.

STAC Goat posted:

Looking back across Friday's bracket path and remembering how vulnerable I thought it was and feeding on low seeds until it beat Universal and now how handily Romero crushed him, I'm struck with the nauseating feeling that I really did critically injure the Universals and help Jason win.

I feel gross. But also strangely powerful.
To be honest, I think the issue is a lot of people just haven't watched the Universal movies or grew up with them.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 31, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Disappointed but I can't say Romero winning it all will be an injustice. It makes perfect sense.

I love Evil Dead but it finishing as the #1 series of all time seems odd to me, so right now I'm leaning towards Romero. Might do some rewatches though just for the hell of it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm very torn on what to do in the final. Intellectually I agree with everything everyone is saying about Romero. It should win. But I'm coming off so much fun with Ash vs Evil Dead and really have felt like its been a revelation to me how strong the "franchise" is with its 21st century additions vs the quirky cult classic trilogy I grew up with. Emotionally I'm leaning towards ED.

I think I'm probably gonna give the original films a rewatch this week and just see how I'm feeling after. I can't say I'd be sad if either won.

Timeless Appeal posted:

To be honest, I think the issue is a lot of people just haven't watched the Universal movies or grew up with them.
Sure, sure. If you wanna blame the relative inaccessibility of films nearly 100 years old instead of one idiot on the internet rambling endlessly about canon and creative continuity.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I don't know if Evil Dead along with the rest of modern or indie horror happens without Night of the Living Dead.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Amazing this is literally the best news I’ve heard all day!! Praise satan

My mind says Night, my heart says Evil... for now.

Just rewatched the first Evil Dead yesterday. Hadn’t seen it since I was a moron high schooler so it was practically a new movie. I had no memory of it being the goriest of the first three and there was more goofy humor than I remember.

Romero’s movies though, holy poo poo.

I’m gonna have to think about this one

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Ahh! I love both and honestly either one would be great. I should rewatch Romero’s dead as I might be misrepresenting it...I haven’t seen it in a long time. I’m remembering it as more boring and slow than Evil dead but I could be doing Romero dirty here.

It’s a win-win either way and both are great series’ and incredibly important milestones for indie horror. If I pinged Halloween and Friday for having poo poo sequels it’s hard not to ping Romero for some real trash. But beyond that it’s really personal preference and raimi is absolutely my kinda poo poo.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think Evil Dead's consistency is a valid point. There isn't a bad Evil Dead movie.

But as much as I adore Evil Dead 2, it is in a lot of ways a do-over of Part 1. Not even in the sense of it is actively remaking parts of the first film. Even when it moves onto the actual sequel part, it is a bit familiar (Four new folks come to the cabin, blah blah). When we count the remake, Evil Dead is sort of telling the same story three times and then Army of Darkness.

The first four Living Dead movies are all these really unique sequels that really advance how the zombies are depicted, don't follow a formula, and really reflect their time period. That's what makes it easier to neglect the bad movies.

If anyone is doing an Evil Dead rewatch, There is Within the Woods which is basically a proto-Evil Dead.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hell yes. Best Final

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

When you think about it, for as much heartbreak as it caused to get here its kinda perfect that all the mediocre franchises of more bad movies than good but one iconic original or monster all got picked off before the finals leaving one classic franchise with no unifying monster or characters but an overall high quality of films and one cult classic franchise with a startling high consistency and one of the few iconic horror protagonists.

I don't know what my hypothesis is here but I think its cool that Freddy, Jason, Chucky, Michael, and everyone else are watching from the sidelines as Ash fights some zombies.

Also Ash would have such an easy time with Romero zombies, man. They're so slow and dumb and stay down.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

STAC Goat posted:

Also Ash would have such an easy time with Romero zombies, man. They're so slow and dumb and stay down.

Yeah but Ash isn’t exactly a rocket scientistChinese Jet Pilot and Romero’s zombies prey on the overconfident and stupid

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

Shrecknet posted:

Some fantasy fights we didn't get that could have been fun...

Hmmm, Nightmare on Elm Street vs. Halloween and then Nightmare on Elm Street vs. Romero's Living Dead in the final. OBVIOUSLY.

Evil Dead vs. Tremors
Ghoulies vs. Basketcase
Critters vs. Phantasm
Hellraiser vs. Wishmaster
Child's Play vs. Friday the 13th

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Texas Chainsaw Massacre deserved to make it farther than the Scream 16 but it got boned by a tough rear end draw and being mostly dreck after the first 2 movies.

Also the Zombieverse not making it out of the first round is bonkers.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh. I love Rejects but like "the Zombieverse" is really just a decent trilogy. I like it and its better than many of the entries that went farther but it was never really a "franchise" in the way I think of it.

Basically I was all prepared to do my pedantic Universal qualifications rant about the Zombieverse if people were counting non-Firefly films but I decided it didn't really matter because Zombie wasn't gonna do much damage. And it was facing the Universals so...

Looking back across the brackets I still think Paranormal Activity got jobbed out but I'm glad I was never tempted to argue for it over Hellraiser. Otherwise Psycho really got screwed as the last seed in the tournament falling to Jason.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 1, 2020

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

This feels right. Two scrappy independent productions that turned into titans of the genre. Unlike the slashers, you can’t anchor these two franchises to a specific trend or time period. Romero was always willing to change with the times, and Raimi’s work is timeless. This is the powerhouse final matchup this experiment deserves. As much as I love my Big Wet Boy Jason and Halloween ‘78, this is what should have happened all along.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Now imagine the wailing and gnashing if it wasn't franchises and just single films.

Nosferatu
The Thing
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Lake Mungo
Ravenous
BloodRayne

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

drat it, this week's events kept me from making my Friday the 13th defense effort post. I could've won all the doubters over if the US wasn't such a shithole.

gently caress it I'm still gonna post it before this is over.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Timeless Appeal posted:

I don't know if Evil Dead along with the rest of modern or indie horror happens without Night of the Living Dead.

Isaac Newton said "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants". Newton remains the most important and diverse scientist of his age or any other.

It's interesting to look at the bracket and imagine that each series is replaced by the best movie in the series. I honestly don't see anything changing in three brackets, except Exorcist vs Alien becomes more of a tug of war. But in the Crystal Lake bracket, Friday goes out in the first round and Universal Monsters probably beats Wishmaster in the quarters.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

The zombies are the ticking clock of slow inevitability. All they need is one crack, one overzealous mistake on your part, and it's over. I almost wish Romero kept the original ending to Dawn, in which Fran thrusts her head into the propellor blades, and the helicopter runs out of fuel during the credits, indicating that they wouldn't have gotten far anyway, because how do you outrun death itself? How do you hide from your own body eventually betraying you? There's no victory against a cold, uncaring, emotionless universe that sees you as nothing more than spoiling meat. Ash would eventually join the dead, or be brought so low in the process that any vestige of his former self would be wiped away. There's no victory against Romero's zombies, there's only infinite struggle.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Romero zombies were also never that dumb. They straight up use tools in Night and Dawn, and them having actual intelligence, even being capable of communication, is a plotpoint in Day and Land.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Some of them are so intelligent, they go on to star in their own ill-advised spin off films

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

So Schrecknet, were you just teasing when you said Romero beating Jason wasn't a sure thing based on vote totals, or did a last minute push lead to that blowout?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

Ash would eventually join the dead, or be brought so low in the process that any vestige of his former self would be wiped away. There's no victory against Romero's zombies, there's only infinite struggle.

Impossible. That's Ash's superpower, he has no fucks left to give. The events of Evil Dead 2 more or less drove him insane already so after that everything is Groovy to him.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Ash wouldn't survive in the Romeroverse. You're talking about someone who went back to the cabin twice.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Ash wouldn't survive in the Romeroverse. You're talking about someone who went back to the cabin twice.

Well that may be true. But he certainly wouldn't die of despair. Romeroverse is just a slightly more intense Jacksonville.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TrixRabbi posted:

So Schrecknet, were you just teasing when you said Romero beating Jason wasn't a sure thing based on vote totals, or did a last minute push lead to that blowout?

It was more of a "putting my finger on the scale" thing, putting the fear of Jason winning into your hearts so lurkers would go vote.

It worked! Turnout was up from the Evil Eight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Impossible. That's Ash's superpower, he has no fucks left to give. The events of Evil Dead 2 more or less drove him insane already so after that everything is Groovy to him.

Ash's superpower is that he became a cartoon character, which makes for less dramatically interesting situations.