Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

i wonder if amaro had installed his dads weird gundam upgrade instead of throwing it in the street if gundam woulda owned char and lala and all the other newtypes

btw 37 episodes and not a word about those and then episode 38 is all about newtypes every other sentence what the heck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Seemlar posted:

:psyduck:

As loose as SRW plays with plots, was that a "just go with it" plot point or was their token explanation for why Celestial Being would do something so wildly out of character?

I'll have to re-read the backstory on that the next time I play through V (as wild as that timeline is, the most wild timeline is probably the UC timeline where not only did Jerid survive into the events of Unicorn and Yazan is now his bro, but the Federation ends up creating a bizzaro version of Londo Bell even though Londo Bell still existed. And oh yeah, the UC stuff takes place in the same universe as Full Metal Panic, Mazinger Z, Getter Robo, and Evangelion, so you simultaneously have Bright being like "man what in the gently caress is up with that dude leading NERV... also remember when giant space monsters kinda hosed with some poo poo in prior wars?). Season 1 Celestial Being might have been played pretty straight in their "eradicating war on all sides" angle and things might have went pretty badly.

It would have definitely been in character for Season 2 Celestial Being to team up with Orb v. ZAFT and A-Laws/Earth Alliance though.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

ok i finished gundam 1979

what do i watch now?

i've seen:

gundam 1979
gundam unicorn
ironblooded orphans

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zeta or war in the pocket

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

chiasaur11 posted:

Moving for a moment from real videogames about fictional robots to fake video games about real model kits, the manual's out for the new Build Divers kits, even if the show's delayed, and they explain what the Saturnix was designed for.

Apparently, Hirito built it as a counter to IBO suits. Pure brute force damage means he doesn't have to worry about nano-laminate, and boosted strength lets him fight them evenly on their own terms.

Kinda neat how it fits with the whole MMO premise. Of course there'd be players trying to exploit the advantages of one type of MS, and of course someone like Hirito would make plans to counter it.

Developing a hard counter to the current game meta really does sound like something a player would do. Someone on the writing team had lots of experience playing an MMO, and it shows.

Ramadu posted:

what do i watch now?

i've seen:

gundam 1979
gundam unicorn
ironblooded orphans

I suggest Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket for a cool standalone story about war being bad (and young David Hayter voicing one of the characters in the dub), and Zeta Gundam as the proper sequel to Gundam 1979.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
That's also enough prep-work for you to watch Gundam Build Fighters if you so choose, which is a charming sports comedy with great music and great fights. You can and probably should ignore the sequels, although Build Divers Re:Rise is decent if you're in the mood.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

what about gundam the 08th ms team

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ramadu posted:

what about gundam the 08th ms team

That is also a good series. You can't go wrong with that or any of the previous suggestions

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ramadu posted:

btw 37 episodes and not a word about those and then episode 38 is all about newtypes every other sentence what the heck

The show doesn't mention them by name up until that point, but it definitely starts introducing the concept of them early and gradually building it up. Matilda notes that Amuro is so good he may be an esper around about episode 10 or so, Amuro has his first Newtype flash against the Black Tri-Stars around about episode 22, he is given longer testing at Jaburo that involves brain scans in episode 28ish for unstated reasons, Bright wondering about how Amuro is suddenly performing even better than usual once they get back to space and so on.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Ramadu posted:

what do i watch now?

i've seen:

gundam 1979
gundam unicorn
ironblooded orphans

Zeta

Ignore war in the pocket instead 08th MS Team

CCA

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

MechaX posted:

It would have definitely been in character for Season 2 Celestial Being to team up with Orb v. ZAFT and A-Laws/Earth Alliance though.

Destiny Orb are a villainous faction which is why I was curious if they try to OG plot their way around it, Celestial Being siding with them is like them allying with A-Laws or the Titans

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

tsob posted:

The show doesn't mention them by name up until that point, but it definitely starts introducing the concept of them early and gradually building it up. Matilda notes that Amuro is so good he may be an esper around about episode 10 or so, Amuro has his first Newtype flash against the Black Tri-Stars around about episode 22, he is given longer testing at Jaburo that involves brain scans in episode 28ish for unstated reasons, Bright wondering about how Amuro is suddenly performing even better than usual once they get back to space and so on.

so another person mentioned the esper thing....but I legit don't remember that. I watched it dubbed (come @ me) so maybe that was a translation issue. It just legit seemed to come out of nowhere and the entire ending was just newtype this telepathy that. It was insanely bizarre and a giant swerve. I think they called amaro a genius and the best pilot they;d ever seen but I sorta atributed that to the AI computer in the suit that they made such a huge deal about for the first like 20 episodes and then never once mentioned again. That prompted me to wonder about his weird junkyard dad's part that he said would power up the suit and if it would and if amuro handicapped himself hard cause he threw it in the street.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I've no idea what the dub does or doesn't do, but the Gundam's learning computer (presuming that's the AI you're referring to) is only mentioned once in the entire show in the actual Japanese. Which is in episode 4, during which Amuro initially tries to attribute it to his success against Char and after which Ryu tells him he's being too modest. It's never mentioned again, and it's definitely not made any kind of deal out of.

As to the circuit his dad designed; it was built in a junkyard by someone Amuro notes is suffering from oxygen deprivation, and is fairly simplistic looking while Amuro is an engineering nerd who's spent the entire show examining, repairing and using the RX-78-2, so he's probably going to know if it's basically junk on sight.

tsob fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 31, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm halfway through the second Gundam novel, and I understand the changes that confused me before and it actually ties into this current discussion. The novels are about Newtypes. From the first fight Char is like, is this guy a Newtype? and they're talking about Newtypes all the time. Lalah and the Flanagan Institute are introduced halfway through the first book, as opposed to well past halfway through the series. The story of the Gundam novels is not the story of Amuro becoming a mature adult, or Char's destructive quest for revenge. It is the story of the awakening of Newytpes, as seen by the crew of the Pegasus(White Base) and Zeon's Newtype Corps

So now I get that the changes that I complained about, the info dump of Char's entire backstory when we first meet him, Char being uninvolved with Garma and Lalah's death, those are intentionally done to make those aspects of the story less important. Char's story and his rivalry with Amuro are some of the most dramatic and emotionally memorable parts of the show. So the novels intentionally undercut them so they don't pull focus from the Newtype stuff.

I had heard people say that the novels were the story Tomino always wanted to tell, but as I'm reading them that doesn't seem right. It's more like, they are the Newtype part of the story he wanted to tell. The show already told the Char and Amuro vs Char parts really well, and the novels fill in the Newtype part.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Please do not make joke posts in this thread.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Seemlar posted:

Destiny Orb are a villainous faction which is why I was curious if they try to OG plot their way around it, Celestial Being siding with them is like them allying with A-Laws or the Titans

Under Cagalli’s fiancé, yes. But siding with “Orb” in the sense of Cagalli and the Three Ships Alliance is more likely since I believe Kira even noted that he fought alongside Setsuna before

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Lemon-Lime posted:

Please do not make joke posts in this thread.

Joke post you say...

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ramadu posted:

so another person mentioned the esper thing....but I legit don't remember that. I watched it dubbed (come @ me) so maybe that was a translation issue. It just legit seemed to come out of nowhere and the entire ending was just newtype this telepathy that. It was insanely bizarre and a giant swerve. I think they called amaro a genius and the best pilot they;d ever seen but I sorta atributed that to the AI computer in the suit that they made such a huge deal about for the first like 20 episodes and then never once mentioned again. That prompted me to wonder about his weird junkyard dad's part that he said would power up the suit and if it would and if amuro handicapped himself hard cause he threw it in the street.

I think the line in the dub talks about Amuro being psychic, but at its first reference (Ep 10 according to tsob, I can't check myself right now) you can't be faulted for blowing it off as a throwaway line.

Also I think in one of the Ghiren's Greed games you can make the Gundam OP by installing that part. This is second hand info and I might be confusing it for an SRW game (though I KNOW it was GG that had the Tem Ray faction).

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Warmachine posted:

I think the line in the dub talks about Amuro being psychic, but at its first reference (Ep 10 according to tsob, I can't check myself right now) you can't be faulted for blowing it off as a throwaway line.

Yeah, I wouldn't fault someone for not catching most of the references building up to Newtypes, because they're fairly spaced out and all very quick and with no real focus drawn to them. Someone wondered a few pages back if the sudden-ness of Newtypes was a pacing issue, or just a consequnce of the cancellation and I have to imagine it was an issue brought on by the cancellation and Tomino needing to suddenly give them a lot of focus all at once, because the show had been building them up a lot more gradually prior to that point. It probably was approaching the point the show was going to dive in to them either way though, since Lalah had been introduced a few episodes prior and the Elmeth is being introduced and tested with funnels, among other things. The small bits of information we do have indicate that there would have been a lot more focus on Newtypes going forward, but does make it seem like it'd be introduced a bit more organically; rather than just dumped all at once.

Edit: Matilda says Amuro might be an esper near the end of episode 9 by the way, just having double checked it. Bright also references it in episode 20 when trying to rebuke Amuro.

I'm not sure how true it is, but if it is true, it's a funny little note that adds a bit of irony, but apparently that USB hub Tem Ray circuit was a somewhat obsolete USB 2.0 hub released to market at a time when USB3.0 was already standard.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 31, 2020

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

The Notorious ZSB posted:

wait what

tsob posted:

I'm not sure how true it is, but if it is true, it's a funny little note that adds a bit of irony, but apparently that USB hub Tem Ray circuit was a somewhat obsolete USB 2.0 hub released to market at a time when USB3.0 was already standard.

lmao that owns. Isn't there a game where if you install it, it actually decreases the Gundam's performance by tiny amount?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warmachine posted:

Also I think in one of the Ghiren's Greed games you can make the Gundam OP by installing that part. This is second hand info and I might be confusing it for an SRW game (though I KNOW it was GG that had the Tem Ray faction).

I think it was also Dynasty Warriors Gundam 1, where you could get Tem Rey upgrade parts for each of the four slots and they were trash until you got all four, at which point they became pretty good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Seemlar posted:

:psyduck:

As loose as SRW plays with plots, was that a "just go with it" plot point or was their token explanation for why Celestial Being would do something so wildly out of character?

It was Season 2 Celestial Being and is entirely IC for them. V only features the 00 movie.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Trying really hard to think of something redeemable about 0083 that makes the show worth watching and kind of coming up empty

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I finished the second Gundam novel, and I gotta say I'm really not a fan of how both end with Amuro achieving perfection understanding and communion with a woman just as he annihilates them. When that just happened with Lalah, fine. But to do literally the exact same thing with Kuzko makes it all feel kinda trashy. And even that aside, it's just repetitive.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Blockhouse posted:

Trying really hard to think of something redeemable about 0083 that makes the show worth watching and kind of coming up empty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoplnxPv-J0

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

That's not worth watching the show for. It's worth watching that link and nothing else.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Blockhouse posted:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The animation is good. It’s fine. Don’t get all bent out of shape about dumb poo poo that’s most of gundam.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

DamnGlitch posted:

The animation is good. It’s fine. Don’t get all bent out of shape about dumb poo poo that’s most of gundam.

I mean generally good Gundam shows have, like, at least one likable character and a plot that isn't intensely tedious.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

DamnGlitch posted:

No it's not, most Gundam is good.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Or this version;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XryetNOCS4I

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

I mean generally good Gundam shows have, like, at least one likable character

It's funny that people complain about this of all things re: 0083 while singing Thunderbolt's praises.

0083 has issues, but "everyone in it is a lovely person" isn't one of them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's funny that people complain about this of all things re: 0083 while singing Thunderbolt's praises.

0083 has issues, but "everyone in it is a lovely person" isn't one of them.

Thunderbolt has Bianca. Darryl is also pretty likeable, even as he merrily wanders down Bad Decision Alley, and Io is at least a charismatic little poo poo.

A likeable, engaging cast isn't the same as a nice cast.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Dra-C is pretty cool too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
There isn't a single likable character with focus in 0083, and you have to go to the secondary cast (Mora, Burning, Keith) to find a character most people are invested in. Kou is more childish than any of the child soldiers, despite being ostensibly an adult, Nina is kind of boring most of the time and then just does some bizarre things for the sake of melodrama near the end while never justifying the relationship the show wants you to invest in, Monsha is the most petulant manchild in the franchise, Gato is a boring antagonist who never says or does anything beyond his ideals and Delaz isn't much better because the two are almost interchangeable and Cima is only interesting if you start take the radio drama's information on board and ignore the things that contradict it in the animation.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my favorite thing about 0083 is how people somehow watch it and then think it serves as a demonstration of zeon nobility. it's also kind of funny how awful nina is, but that can't carry a show.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I do think that Gundam 0083 gets a little too much hate. Yes the three leads are dull, annoying, and bafflingly terrible. Yes pretty necessary development for one character is only available in a separately released audio drama. Yes the plot requires an insane contrivance on the part of the bafflingly terrible character. But the animations is great, there's good action and mecha designs, and memorable side characters.

0083 isn't a good show, but it's not like it's a miserable or unpleasant viewing experience.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

No it's not, most Gundam is good.

I've put a lot of thought into that, and I'm not sure of the exact ratios. Breaking it down from what I've seen enough to comment on...

Good:
Zeta
War in the Pocket
G Gundam
Turn A Gundam
Stargazer
Unicorn
The Origin
Iron Blooded Orphans
Build Fighters: Battlogue

Not Good (Note: Does not necessarily mean bad or uninteresting):
Char's Counterattack
F91
Wing
08th MS Team
Endless Waltz
X
G-Savior
Evolve
Reconguista in G
Thunderbolt

Terrible:
IGLOO (All iterations)
Build Divers (original)
Superior Defender Gundam Force
Twilight Axis
Narrative
Sangoku Soketsuden
SEED
SEED Destiny
There's a lot I don't have firm opinions on, and I'm willing to admit some of the stuff on the not good list might have good qualities I haven't been exposed to yet (haven't watched all through all of it), but as a whole, from what I've seen, I'd say Gundam has less good than not good, but it also has more not bad than bad.

In conclusion, 0083 is a dumb show about awful and mostly uncharismatic people, but it looks very pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Wing, Endless Waltz, 08th MS Team, 00, Reconguista in G, and Thunderbolt are all good.

And I'm not sure if weird gunpla packins or online motion comics like Evolve and Soketsuden really need to be included in the rankings at all