Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

I want to see comparisons between 1x and lockhart. 1x is technically more tflops than the rumor. Should be a good demo of how misleading that stat is as the new 8bit vs 16bit buzzword

Yeah that'll be interesting.

If nothing else it'll have the same SSD storage as well as whatever UI changes there are from this gen to next gen (like if they make the UI not have dogshit performance).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hopefully they can give it enough resources and limit the images being sourced from webpages

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

I want to see comparisons between 1x and lockhart. 1x is technically more tflops than the rumor. Should be a good demo of how misleading that stat is as the new 8bit vs 16bit buzzword

1x is still just old GCN stuff so even a lower tflops xbox series whatever running on an actually decent gpu arch is going to keep up with it pretty easily

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The Saints Row 3 remastered is our and they did a crazy good job remastering the graphics. If you turn off motion blur and uncap the frame rate in the settings menu, and turn sharpness way up, it runs at 60fps and looks 4K. It’s loving impressive. Also, I never played any of the saints games before so this seems like a fun game to play.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

1 is like a proof of concept
2 is a classic that needs a remake
3 is good fun
4 is an infamous clone but still fine tho the dlc is lovely

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Went through the last few pages and was disappointed to see no mention of the bonkers rumour going around that MS is going to buy Sega and market the Series X under that brand in Japan. So it would be the Sega Series X.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Put cortana in persona 5, phil

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

Went through the last few pages and was disappointed to see no mention of the bonkers rumour going around that MS is going to buy Sega and market the Series X under that brand in Japan. So it would be the Sega Series X.

What's actually going to happen is Microsoft is partnering with Sega to bring back VMUs.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Comrade Fakename posted:

Microsoft gonna sell millions to people importing them for that sweet SEGA branding.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

The Saints Row 3 remastered is our and they did a crazy good job remastering the graphics. If you turn off motion blur and uncap the frame rate in the settings menu, and turn sharpness way up, it runs at 60fps and looks 4K. It’s loving impressive. Also, I never played any of the saints games before so this seems like a fun game to play.

Wait til you see the rain effects.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

univbee posted:

Microsoft gonna sell millions to people importing them for that sweet SEGA branding.

I feel called out

Edit: isnt this rumor once again based on literally nothing and powered by resetera?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Barudak posted:

Edit: isnt this rumor once again based on literally nothing and powered by resetera?

That's what makes it real news.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
The rumor is from someone affiliated with Famitsu or somewhere in Japan tweeting something that has been translated like 'Sega is going to make an announcement on the level of the Playstation 5 announcement that was made in Wired.'

People have run with that directly as being a hardware announcement but I'm not sure that adds up. Always tricky dealing with translations but everyone knew the PS5 was coming and it being announced in a Wired interview isn't particularly surprising or unusual.

Sega releasing actual new hardware as in a competitive console in partnership with Microsoft or not would be the biggest industry news in years, potentially the biggest even since Sega got out of the hardware game.

So yeah. It would be super cool but this sounds like something the more breathless parts of the internet are running way beyond any potential reality.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

univbee posted:

I mean I'd buy it because I don't know better.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Achievement unlocked is pretty literal what is it in japanese?

Game goal met?
Objective rewards accessed?

This is rhetorical ofc since no one owns a jpn xbox except for the scalebound devs

I heard from somebody that speak japanese that is a very literal language. "Supporter of the community" would translate, maybe (I don't speak japanese) to "people that move the community around over his shoulders giant atlas style"... that would be a literal translation, will not make any sense, will make japanese people go "what the gently caress is this".

Maybe the efforts of getting inside japan are wasted energy, until they themselves decide that xbox is something they want. Like baseball or KFC.
But would not hurt to have better translations and localization.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
It’s honestly a genius idea. Who knows if it would work, but as a Japanese-lifer with an Xbox I’d love to see it happen.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Does the Sega brand even matter that much to the modern Japanese market? As far as their console history goes, I recall the Mega Drive and pre-Mega Drive consoles didn't do so well, and the Saturn did pretty good, though I'm unsure of the Dreamcast. The main problem I can see with Sega pulling such a stunt is that they'd either make all their games going forward exclusive to the Series X, which sounds like too huge a gamble and could potentially hurt their market in the region, or continue to develop games for their console competitors anyway, which would make the idea of having their own console kind of pointless.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Rebranding Xbox as a new Sega console would be good and cool

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mercury Crusader posted:

Does the Sega brand even matter that much to the modern Japanese market? As far as their console history goes, I recall the Mega Drive and pre-Mega Drive consoles didn't do so well, and the Saturn did pretty good, though I'm unsure of the Dreamcast. The main problem I can see with Sega pulling such a stunt is that they'd either make all their games going forward exclusive to the Series X, which sounds like too huge a gamble and could potentially hurt their market in the region, or continue to develop games for their console competitors anyway, which would make the idea of having their own console kind of pointless.

the sms did alright, the megadrive did extremely well and the saturn cratered

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Mercury Crusader posted:

According to that journos twitter it's not the Sega branding, but something else.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Stux posted:

the sms did alright, the megadrive did extremely well and the saturn cratered

Mega Drive cratered loving hard in Japan, the Saturn did okay.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
it would probably do better in the US if they branded the xbox as Sega.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

People care about Sega still but if they went Xbox only we'd have another FF13 shitstorm on our hands.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Phil has said Microsoft is looking at making more acquisitions and he thinks Microsoft Studios needs some Japanese studios among them so whether the Sega thing is true or not, MS is definitely shopping around out there to see what deals can be struck. I mean theoretically they could buy pretty much anyone if they wanted, even Nintendo (I'm not seriously suggesting that they will, however) because of the money they can dump and Microsoft as a company leaning harder into gaming and providing more resources for the Xbox division.

Sega seems like a weird choice however, haven't they mainly been focused on publishing games? I always thought that if MS bought a Japanese studio it would be Capcom as they have the relationship with them and Capcom is/was struggling financially (I think the Resident Evil 2 & 3 remakes have given them a boost however).

If you want to put on your tinfoil hats, there is a possibility they struck a deal with Konami. They've been out of gaming for a while now but have some IPs that Microsoft would love to get hold of. There's also the very strong rumors that were going round about Kojima Productions working on a new Silent Hill game after Sony negotiated the rights with Konami to make it exclusive. The rumors for that were very strong and it was supposed to be the big reveal for the PS5 announce event, but Kojima recently revealed that the project he was working on has been shut down, he's had to scrap everything and they're starting from scratch on a new game instead. Nobody knows what was canceled but it seemed like an open secret that he was working on Silent Hill, so maybe the sudden cancellation is Microsoft buying out Konami? All they'll have is a name and IPs, though, they'd need to build up studios themselves if that was the case because I think remaining staff in their gaming division is pitifully small (as in, a single small office, at best). Having their hands on the Metal Gear and Silent Hill IPs would be big, however. We can watch them die twice :allears:

On that note, alongside Kojima's game cancellation comes Sony postponing the PS5 reveal event:

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1267525525825900549

Actually very cool and respectful of them and I hope that Microsoft has the decency to do the same thing because now really isn't the time to distract people with video games of all things. It feels like everything is coalescing for the weirdest and disjointed start to a console generation we've ever seen. Microsoft & Sony both remain committed to launching their new consoles this year and Sony has said in advance that there's going to be limited supply (eBay scalpers are gonna swipe a lot, I suspect) but it's becoming increasingly clear that maybe everyone should just slow down and wait until next year instead because 2020 is a disaster. If both companies could agree to hold off until 2021 imagine what a difference an extra year would make for the quality of launch titles on both platforms?

...I also really would like to see Cyberpunk delayed so the final game actually looks like those initial "gameplay" videos :smith:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

SUNKOS posted:

Kojima's game cancellation

:rolleyes:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

:rolleyes:

https://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/18332936/

Now, if you can untwist your panties and read the rest of the post you'll see how it ties into the talk of MS/Sega and also Sony doing a very cool thing that I hope Microsoft does as well.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

been eons since i read a panties in a knot post wow

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Sony stock price plummets as an excel sheet list of movies and vague emotions that would form the style board for the next Hideo Kojima game is suddenly cancelled a mere 5 years prior to it's release.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Someone under NDA talked a little about SEGA’s news and confirmed it didn’t involve Microsoft.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Maybe we'll finally get Sonic Generations 2 :D

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

SUNKOS posted:

Actually very cool and respectful of them and I hope that Microsoft has the decency to do the same thing because now really isn't the time to distract people with video games of all things. It feels like everything is coalescing for the weirdest and disjointed start to a console generation we've ever seen. Microsoft & Sony both remain committed to launching their new consoles this year and Sony has said in advance that there's going to be limited supply (eBay scalpers are gonna swipe a lot, I suspect) but it's becoming increasingly clear that maybe everyone should just slow down and wait until next year instead because 2020 is a disaster. If both companies could agree to hold off until 2021 imagine what a difference an extra year would make for the quality of launch titles on both platforms?

The showcase for their first party games isn't until July, anyway. I don't think they had one scheduled for this month, just a normal Xbox insider video.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Healbot posted:

Mega Drive cratered loving hard in Japan, the Saturn did okay.

in japan i dunno if its MD cratering, the sms wasnt exactly incredible there. more just a steady upward trend across the three

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Sony stock price plummets as an excel sheet list of movies and vague emotions that would form the style board for the next Hideo Kojima game is suddenly cancelled a mere 5 years prior to it's release.

I love Kojima but lmfao at this. It's been a rough couple days and I needed a Sensible Chuckle.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

All I want is to hear a 12-bit voice sing ECKS-BOOOOOX as I turn on the Sega Series X

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Ruffian Price posted:

All I want is to hear a 12-bit voice sing ECKS-BOOOOOX as I turn on the Sega Series X

Can't you do this via some sort of hack now?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SUNKOS posted:

a chao garden standalone game imo

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I have incredible brand loyalty! This sounds like a great idea! :razz:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

Remaster to Sonic 06 when.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Just boots you straight into Sonic Colors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I said come in! posted:

If you have Sonic Generations on PC they already remastered the Sonic '06 levels and added them to the game. Sonic fans are hardcore.