Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

New Colossus has both Klan and Nazis to shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Decided to try Far Cry 5 on the free weekend, I played 1-4 all through to completion and enjoyed them all (to varying degrees), this one seems very much 'more of the same', very pretty looking game as well. I popped 3 cultists with a pistol and then found a compound bow in a bunker as my first mission reward and I haven't picked up another gun since - clearing an outpost without them ever knowing you were there is a lot of fun. The bow handles much like the previous games, especially in Blood Dragon where I also used it pretty much exclusively.

I don't know if I'd pay full or even half price for it, but a tenner seems a fair outlay.

Also I have a dog buddy who will sniff out bad guys for me to arrow :cool:

they story is probably the worst of the series, but it does look fantastic and its a fun world to play around in.

Roosevelt posted:

feeling frisky. which is the best wolfenstein?

the new order (1) and the new colossus (2) are both very good and theres no reason you shouldn't play 1 and then 2

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Roosevelt posted:

feeling frisky. which is the best wolfenstein?

if you haven't played any of them just start with new order. there is actually a story to it and they're all good.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

wolfenstein cheapens a real and horrifying history and you shouldnt play it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

wolfenstein cheapens a real and horrifying history and you shouldnt play it

wolfenstein reinforces the idea that nazis deserve no more kindness or quarter than being violently exploded by laser cannons, at a time when that is desperately needed in our cultural fabric

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

wolfenstein reinforces the idea that nazis are a funny cultural plaything and also that the frog cartoon 4chan racists out of mom's basement of today are equivalent to the real life monsters who murdered nearly my entire family

there were no loving monkey cheese laser cannons for real life nazis, just mass murder, and the transposition is really gross and upsetting

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

let's ask Mel Brooks what he thinks

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

it's already kinda weird and gross to view nazi comedy movies but wolfenstein is like 1000x worse

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

"what if nazis actually won and were like way stronger and cooler and had mechs and poo poo? fuckin sweet", said the lilywhite swedish game developer

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"what if nazis actually won and were like way stronger and cooler and had mechs and poo poo? fuckin sweet", said

I hadn't really considered this aspect of it and it has given me something to think about.

I still think we should ask mel brooks, though. out of the three of us, he's the only one who actually fought nazis face to face

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The new wolfenstien games are good but I got grossed out at the scene where you torture a guy in a basement with a chainsaw in order to get intel from him and quit playing.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Apple TV gaming ftw only $9 a month for awesome hardcore james! thanks Tim

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

wolfenstein reinforces the idea that nazis are a funny cultural plaything and also that the frog cartoon 4chan racists out of mom's basement of today are equivalent to the real life monsters who murdered nearly my entire family

there were no loving monkey cheese laser cannons for real life nazis, just mass murder, and the transposition is really gross and upsetting

drat it’s getting real in the funny computer forum video games thread

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

NoneMoreNegative posted:

MAD MAX is about done, 48hrs on the clock for the main story, all the side quests and about 80% of the open-world locations. It definitely picked up once your car and character upgraded past 'wet paper bag' status, though in doing a bunch of missions before really getting into the story I think I overpowered myself a bit and was wrecking effortlessly almost the whole way through. Some of the bigger battles where they throw 8 mixed skill dudes at you and four or five waves of similar all without any chance to heal up was fun though.

If you like open worlds, car smashing and very violent combat (late-game I did a 'Weapon execution' on a mook who was just getting to one knee and Max swung this big two-hand wasteland billhook like a loving golf club into his head, I was gently caress) def pick this up in a sale.

Like I said before, a good looking game as well.

also;

this is good info

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
I'm slowly easing my way into a new Fallout 4 VR run, with Sim Settlements and an infini-companions mod so I can recruit settlers as disposable allies. The approach is a more or less a normal game, but as a burgeoning civilization builder / warlord who recruits posses of followers to fight and die in order to win my battle.

It already feels like a more interesting and fitting narrative than the traditional, lone mecha-god play style. I get that in every video game the main protagonist upends hundreds of lives by dint of being inexplicably better than everyone, but if I woke up in a post apocolyptic hellscape, I'd be insulating myself with allies and followers first, then buggy 200 year old spine breakers second. And the former has much more lore-friendly mechanisms for dashing the plans of every major faction on the board.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Playing a VR shooty game sort of betrays a fundamental lie of the genre- in VR it's obvious that you should absolutely not be able to win a gun fight against one trained gunman, and fighting alone against multiple people of any skill level is even more preposterous.

Either you need to be able to get shot in the face a bunch, or you need to somehow know where everybody is and what they're doing while you cower behind boxes. Otherwise, you can't have human level perception and human level weaknesses to bullets and still win these sorts of fights.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

One thing about FO4VR - in the original game I used the VATS stuff all the time, it was a staple of combat, but in the VR version I completely forgot it was in the game and never triggered it once in the approx. 40hrs I had in-game.

I read later it was a buggy mess of an implementation, but the fact was you absolutely don't want to use it in a full immersive 3D world.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in the oculus home room you can fire a gun with slow moving projectiles and I find that very compelling. soon I’ll have a decent chunk of time with the vr and need to get unreal engine 4 vr stuff working

I played accounting plus last night after being recommended to me.. it’s. loving stupid and leans heavily on that childish adult humour I can’t stand like swearing lots and acting like a childish human. lame

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
arizona sunshine is really cheap this weekend and it is a pretty fun dang vr game

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
vr helmet is fun. it creates this interesting effect where it makes reality seem more like a 3d video game in the following time after it. it's kinda cool, it doesnt last long

anyway, I read about this toggle in the google earth app and gently caress me does it make a world of difference. the google earth vr experience is loving excellent as it is, but it feels like you're in a model of the city or whatever, and in the settings you can toggle fix scale human or something and it's cool because I dont know how to describe what it actually does, but instead of feeling like you're looking at a large model of the city it feels like you're flying above it into the sky or down to the ground. it's loving incredible especially the first time. it's the closest you'll ever feel to actually flying

and street view very cool too thru the helmet

its limited by the cities youre in, if they have 3d building data or whatever (like the pyramids are competely flat and dissapointing), and I assume your download speed could make quite a difference too, as its streaming the data it seems, and often for me it means when i fly close to the cities, theyre very very blocky until the load.

alyx is such an amazing example of what can be done, im up to where ya get the shotgun and I dont think ill get past it.
the voice of the other person in alyx is murray from flight of the conchords and it seems real out of place here

bigscreen is loving cool. better than virtual desktop and its not even its primary function

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

how does one move in vr alyx?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
teleport, walk with your legs a little or you can use the thumbstick on the index but its really disorienting

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I hit about 8hrs in FarCry5 before the free weekend finished, I like it well enough to pay the small sale price; also, they had a double-up with the sidequel New Dawn, and also an offer of a further 20% off if I spend some of my 'Uplay Points', which I didn't even know I had. Twenty notes for two fairy long games seems OK to me. A couple of the story missions were a bit poo poo (lord do I ever not want plane dogfighting in a Far Cry game again) but the open world missions are mostly fun and organic in how they unfold.

One thing that has been good about playing this; for the past few years I've been a joypad-only Jamester, but I wasn't feeling the aiming in FC5 with the pad so thought I'd try M+KB again - wow I'd forgotten how much fun it could be, a total change in how I was playing. Much more confident I can tag quickly moving bad guys and switch targets to prioritise, you'd never get this with a pad (without some generous autoaim). I still like analogue stick movement better, is there such a thing as a half-joypad for a desktop that will let you stick-and-mouse?

The confidence boost might also be I saved some ingame cash and bought the 'prestige' AK rifle and it is so much better than the ones you'll pick up off the cultists its not even fair. A midrange optic, long mag and a silencer, a 3-round burst will drop anyone but the heavies (and these guys you can take their helmet off with one burst and their skull off with the second as long as they don't surprise you and you play it cool and don't panic), suddenly the plinking of rounds into badguys as they swarm you is no more.

Definitely one to think about if you like open-world FPSes.

PS. STOP SHOOTING ME WITH DRUG BULLETS AND KIDNAPPING ME PLS.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

how does one move in vr alyx?

when you hold down the move button it shows a cursor on the ground in front of your which you move around with your stick and when you let go you "teleport" there. there are other modes but that one works best

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

so in every game you move like in myst? lol

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

vr games are like those arcade shooters on rails lol

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

vr games are like those arcade shooters on rails lol

oh my gosh, that is so funny!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

call up Dan Harmon to tell him you've got a great pitch for a show about how you move in VR. lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

so in every game you move like in myst? lol

I suppose, but not predetermined spots, just anywhere you can walk.

Like when you push a turn button in VR it might spin you 45 degrees or something.

Alyx lets you choose options that are different to these (like one mode you hold down the walk button and just walk the direction your head is facing) but experimenting with them shows why they're horrible. Especially turning smoothly makes you feel dizzy quickly. The cut from one position/viewpoint to another is far easier for you to manage than smooth transitions between)

Play it before you poo poo on it though. I rented an Oculus Rift S for $120 for a week. Decent VR is the biggest wow moment you'll experience outside of drugs.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

is vr still cool if you don't have depth perception? I'd imagine yes but it's less breathtaking when the 3d stuff doesn't matter?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Some stuff more so than others. The sense of scale you can get in VR is still impressive because it’s based on looking up to see how high something is for example.

Who doesn’t have depth perception? I know once some person didn’t, and didn’t necessarily realise they didn’t, until they saw 3D movie and it “unlocked” it for them and they were able to see depth ever since. weird

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
is the witcher a good game? can i hop in at the latest one or do i need to play from the beginning?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I don't. close one eye. that's what it's like for me all the time. we can argue about the semantics of whether inferring distance from relative size or whatever counts as "depth perception" but I had it back for a couple weeks in grad school before my brain noped out again and it's very much not the same 🤷‍♀️

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

I don't. close one eye. that's what it's like for me all the time. we can argue about the semantics of whether inferring distance from relative size or whatever counts as "depth perception" but I had it back for a couple weeks in grad school before my brain noped out again and it's very much not the same 🤷‍♀️

I think it’d be a nice experiment really, at your expense.

fuckin brains

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

is the witcher a good game? can i hop in at the latest one or do i need to play from the beginning?

skip to 3

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Super Mega Baseball 3 is out now and loving rocks. They've somehow struck a balance between classic, fun arcade-y baseball games and being able to play realistically. Currently having a blast making people angry in Pennant Race games.

There's a Franchise mode now that looks fun but I don't feel like sitting down and playing baseball for like 5 hours at a clip right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=476FbxEsZBE

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yeah, W1 is the very epitome of euro-jank and should only be played as a historical curiosity, W2 is much better (and deeper) but still has a lot of rough edges. W3 is as close to a perfect game as I've played in years, especially with the DLC which is essential IMO, proper excellent stories and not Horse Armor.

You could read a recap: https://www.polygon.com/2015/5/18/8620223/witcher-3-guide-witcher-2-witcher but don't let missing all the W2 plot out put you off playing W3, theres a bit at the start of W3 where you are asked about what you did in the second game; just pick whatever sounds interesting, or look here:

https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/The_Witcher_3_decision_checklist

(but don't scroll past 'prologue' as its spoiler city onwards)

If you have W2 in your backlog of games give it a try, if it grabs you there's a lot of game to play before you even hit W3.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
cool thanks! i don't own any of them yet so i'll probably just jump in with W3 at some point. i appreciate the input! :)

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Witcher three is the only good one. they did such a good job characterising the main characters I never felt like I was missing out on context or anything.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Yeah, W1 is the very epitome of euro-jank and should only be played as a historical curiosity, W2 is much better (and deeper) but still has a lot of rough edges. W3 is as close to a perfect game as I've played in years, especially with the DLC which is essential IMO, proper excellent stories and not Horse Armor.

agreeing with all this. Witcher 3 loving rules and it's dlc are legit expansion packs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Kuvo posted:

agreeing with all this. Witcher 3 loving rules and it's dlc are legit expansion packs

Playing the main game to completion, then Hearts of Stone and finally Blood & Wine was just the perfect end to the game, call me soft but sitting on a bench watching the sun set over your vineyard with your chosen companion beside you - I left Geralt there and closed the game, didn't go and clean up the last few tiny sidequests.