Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The original factions from WH1 are either moderately (Dwarfs and Vampire Counts) or massively (Empire, Greenskins and Bretonnia) improved. Plus many underlying gameplay changes and amazingly better modding support and documentation.

E: in WH2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/Soldak/status/1267177783387701250

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
SnowRunner is the most relaxing, frustrating, and addicting game I've played in a while. It's a safe and good purchase over on the 'bad guys' store.

Far Cry 5 is in my top 5 games of all time. I never touched the DLC. You don't really need to. New Dawn is good, but I didn't like the fact that the first two tiers of upgrades for most anything is completely useless.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Stokes posted:

SnowRunner is the most relaxing, frustrating, and addicting game I've played in a while. It's a safe and good purchase over on the 'bad guys' store.

That game seems really amazing and I want to get it, but I'm afraid that I'll find it stressful. I've been stuck in mud/snow/floodwaters quite a few times and it's always highly anxiety provoking. I look at SnowRunner and all I see is Bennett Foddy's Euro Truck Simulator.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Why isn't Everspace 2 in my hands yet? :(

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

That game seems really amazing and I want to get it, but I'm afraid that I'll find it stressful. I've been stuck in mud/snow/floodwaters quite a few times and it's always highly anxiety provoking. I look at SnowRunner and all I see is Bennett Foddy's Euro Truck Simulator.
I've been using it as a ~podcast game~ (i haven't really listened to many podcasts since like march 5th when SIP orders came in and my bike/train commute was 99% of my podcast time) and it's great for catching up. But yeah it is kinda frustrating getting stuck a lot, especially early on a lot of the good mud tires and suspensions are gated quite heavily and takes awhile to start getting some good vehicles and upgrades going. I don't think I'd play it if I wasn't using it to help listen to podcasts but it's rreally fantastic for that purpose and I've banged out a bunch of hours doing it

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Ciaphas posted:

Why isn't Everspace 2 in my hands yet? :(

Well, even when it comes out, it'll be in Early Access.

I'm reasonably excited for it despite not liking the first too much.
-
Makes me wonder about Rebel Galaxy Outlaw.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Shadow225 posted:

What are some good, chill turn based multi games that can preferably be played with a controller? For The King is cool, Worms IA alright, Civ 5 has some weird graphical issues, Endless Legend UI is too small for my TV, and I dunno what beyond that.

This is from way back, but if you liked for the king you should try pit people.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yeah let's gooooo!!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jamfrost posted:

Well, even when it comes out, it'll be in Early Access.

I'm reasonably excited for it despite not liking the first too much.
-
Makes me wonder about Rebel Galaxy Outlaw.

Really the world just needs more good space ship piloting games! This is always true.

I'm curious about RGO too; IIRC it still has a few months of EGS exclusivity?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
EB Games undertakes to refund consumers for the Fallout 76 game
I wonder if Todd is gonna give a poo poo. Or if it's going to set a precedent.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Croccers posted:

EB Games undertakes to refund consumers for the Fallout 76 game
I wonder if Todd is gonna give a poo poo. Or if it's going to set a precedent.

Look, customers weren't happy, they got their money back. The system you see, it just works.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

MSC is still amazing

-Fixed issues with car mirror images being on while not using the car

-Teimo's Sausage & Potatoes is now superfood that helps player with his positive weight control

-Fixed incorrect passing with failed brakes during car inspection

-Hangover is now best to be dealt with drinking alcohol

-Added Videopoker slot machine to Pub

-Fixed issues with Uncle not stopping speaking

-Made Ruscko worse

-Increased length of electricity cut offs during thunderstorm

-Save is now deleted (Mortal mode) at the exact moment of death

-Highway Police will now give a fine for driving a Ruscko as it has no plates and is not registered

-Driving over a roaming NPC will now cause instant wanted status (manslaughter = 10d sentence)

-Fixed bug with ProPilkki where pilkki-action got stuck if player quit the game during active pilkki-action

-Added textures and sound effects to the Jail cell

-Fixed bug with being able to give breathalyser test while wearing Helmet

-Evading chasing Cops (refusing to take fines) will cause an instant wanted status and 3 days sentence

-Driving over a rally spectator is a crime (manslaughter), UNLESS player is racing the Stage

-Added horn to cars

-Player can now wave its hand by holding "K" and roaming NPC's will react

-Fixed bug with Kilju Bucket where adding water to finished Kilju would not dilute the alcohol level

-Adjusted drunk, thirst and urine rate when drinking Kilju

-Jumping up from lowest crouch position is now an exercise method

-Crashing with (killable) AI drivers so that they die is an instant five (5) day sentence

-Grilling is now impossible when it rains

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is good but it's also yet another in the long, long line of space games that aren't as good as Freespace 2

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Is Big Pharma good? I've heard mixed things, but also some people who apparently love it very much.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Black Griffon posted:

Is Big Pharma good? I've heard mixed things, but also some people who apparently love it very much.
Big Pharma is a strange game that's very good at what it does but presents itself on the store pave as something completely different.

Do not be swayed by the belts. The belts and workstations exist to provide a physical limit to what you build. It's not even in the same universe as Factorio. There's no logistics of note. It's a bad tangram puzzle at best.

Do not be swayed by some moralistic drama of being a good or a bad pharma. There's economics inspired by pharma industry practices but it's surface level.

With that out of the way the reason you go to Big Pharma is it's micro economics are on point. It's like a Capitalism-like game focused on production only. You need to manage new construction like a capital project: estimate capital expense, calculate operation cost vs profit, find the payback period, and decide if that's good enough to pursue. There's a simple logic puzzle to figuring out how to take raw ingredients and stick their benefits in the right spot while avoiding side effects and this gives your your process design to check the economics of. You need to manage expected vs actual profit by navigating through the pharma inspired economy verbs like patents, refactoring application methods and cures, and making sure there's actually a market for what you're making and it's not likely to evaporate because you or your opponent cured it too hard.

It's next to Capitalism 2 as one of my favorite microecon games.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

MSC is still amazing

Is my summer car fun to play? As described it sounds like my kind of thing; but it also sounds like it could be intolerably janky

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is good but it's also yet another in the long, long line of space games that aren't as good as Freespace 2

nothing's even ever gonna do better capital-class beam weapons than FS2, huh :smith:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I grabbed Yakuza 0 for pc in the recent Fanatical sale. I'm new to the series and I'm in chapter 3, with Majima. If I skip side activities (like the Shogi guy) will I be able to return to this city after the atory switches again?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Angry Lobster posted:

I grabbed Yakuza 0 for pc in the recent Fanatical sale. I'm new to the series and I'm in chapter 3, with Majima. If I skip side activities (like the Shogi guy) will I be able to return to this city after the atory switches again?

Pretty close to the end of the story you can swap characters at any time; until then you're locked to whoever you're currently playing as

So for once the answer really IS both yes and no! :v:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Angry Lobster posted:

No side quests are missable, progress away! You might be locked in as another character or in a new area for a while, but that's it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is my summer car fun to play? As described it sounds like my kind of thing; but it also sounds like it could be intolerably janky
My Summer Car is a lifestyle. It's a survival game where you can only hold one thing in your hand at a time. It's a mechanic game where you need to feel and hear how your cars behaving to know what might be busted. It's a racing game where if you crash, you die, or will wish you have died as you collect bits and pieces of your car from the swamp. It's a Finnish entrepreneurialism sim where you use your families farm tools to scrape together a hundred bucks to buy car parts.

You can probably tell of it's your jam watching a few videos. If you're having second thoughts at all you can probably pass. It's janky to a fault but you push on in spite of it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Angry Lobster posted:

You switch characters every 2 chapters; there are 17 or so, and when you're close to the end you'll get the option to switch at phone booths.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Angry Lobster posted:

Not until the story circles back to Majima again.

Which could take anywhere from a few days to several months, the next Kiryu segment introduces a massive timesink.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ciaphas posted:

nothing's even ever gonna do better capital-class beam weapons than FS2, huh :smith:

Homeworld, I guess, though nothing where you're in the cockpit.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Hwurmp posted:

You switch characters every 2 chapters; there are 17 or so, and when you're close to the end you'll get the option to switch at phone booths.

Ciaphas posted:

Pretty close to the end of the story you can swap characters at any time; until then you're locked to whoever you're currently playing as

So for once the answer really IS both yes and no! :v:

Ok, I thought I'd be able to switch at will soon after the first couple chapters as a kind of an extensive tutorial. Seems I was wrong.

Artelier posted:

No side quests are missable, progress away! You might be locked in as another character or in a new area for a while, but that's it.

That's good to hear though, maybe I'm going to take more time doing side stuff with Majima before switching up to Kyriu again.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

zedprime posted:

Big Pharma is a strange game that's very good at what it does but presents itself on the store pave as something completely different.

Do not be swayed by the belts. The belts and workstations exist to provide a physical limit to what you build. It's not even in the same universe as Factorio. There's no logistics of note. It's a bad tangram puzzle at best.

Do not be swayed by some moralistic drama of being a good or a bad pharma. There's economics inspired by pharma industry practices but it's surface level.

With that out of the way the reason you go to Big Pharma is it's micro economics are on point. It's like a Capitalism-like game focused on production only. You need to manage new construction like a capital project: estimate capital expense, calculate operation cost vs profit, find the payback period, and decide if that's good enough to pursue. There's a simple logic puzzle to figuring out how to take raw ingredients and stick their benefits in the right spot while avoiding side effects and this gives your your process design to check the economics of. You need to manage expected vs actual profit by navigating through the pharma inspired economy verbs like patents, refactoring application methods and cures, and making sure there's actually a market for what you're making and it's not likely to evaporate because you or your opponent cured it too hard.

It's next to Capitalism 2 as one of my favorite microecon games.

That does sound pretty fun, and also very much not what I expected. Might have to check it out.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ciaphas posted:

psamtik: surrender belisarius

belisarius: no fuk u

psamtik: k

psamtik: BBBBWWWOOOOAAAUURRREEEOOOOOOMMMMMMM

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Hot on the heels of Fanatical's Yakuza 0 deal is a new Yakuza Kiwami 2 deal. Not as cheap as Yakuza 0 but plenty good I think?

Is it worth picking up if I burnt out on Yakuza 0 btw? I got to chapter 16 or 17 but by the time I just kind of wanted the game to be done. I should be pretty close to endgame already but haven't mustered the will to finish it, though I keep it on the HDD just in case. I hope the sidequests are as fun/addictive/silly in Kiwami 2...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kiwami 2 is Good but it depends on what burnt you out about 0.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Artelier posted:

Hot on the heels of Fanatical's Yakuza 0 deal is a new Yakuza Kiwami 2 deal. Not as cheap as Yakuza 0 but plenty good I think?

Is it worth picking up if I burnt out on Yakuza 0 btw? I got to chapter 16 or 17 but by the time I just kind of wanted the game to be done. I should be pretty close to endgame already but haven't mustered the will to finish it, though I keep it on the HDD just in case. I hope the sidequests are as fun/addictive/silly in Kiwami 2...

Every single Yakuza game is worth playing. You should follow 0 with Kiwami 1, tho. Kiwami 2 is also really resource heavy so buy it only if you have a modern rig or play it windowed.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Angry Lobster posted:

Ok, I thought I'd be able to switch at will soon after the first couple chapters as a kind of an extensive tutorial. Seems I was wrong.

That's good to hear though, maybe I'm going to take more time doing side stuff with Majima before switching up to Kyriu again.

Just FYI, the intro to the game can be a bit of a slog IMO, but you are approaching the point where the “full game” is accessible. Once you have unlocked both characters’ side careers, you will be able to see everything in the game world.

Re: Kiwami 2, anyone able to sell me on it if I loved Y0 but thought YK1 was just dull as dishwater? It also played bad somehow?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Hwurmp posted:

Kiwami 2 is Good but it depends on what burnt you out about 0.

While I do enjoy the world and the melodrama, I think I just burnt out on the game pulling "AND THEN" too many times. I felt like the game was wrapping up ten chapters ago! Sure there were more plot twists each time to justify the story continuing, but at this point I'm kind of, eh, let's do side quests and more hostess club.

So I guess my question is, is Yakuza 2 worth it if I want:
MORE SIDEQUESTS
MORE HOSTESS CLUB (or similar big undertaking minigame; property was kind of boring)
A FAST PACED MAIN STORY*

* I am okay with the story outliving its welcome because I don't really feel too compelled to play games. But if it keeps up a pace and isn't too crazy long with twists I'll be okay. As much as I am saying I burnt out on it, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Yakuza 0. Breakdance fools, be sad about Tamiya!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I'm pretty sure you played it but House of the Dying Sun heavily holds my top modern campaign space sim slot. Not perfect but the feel of that game is fantastic.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The hostess club returns in K2 so you're good on that front. Sidequests are there too for sure.

As for the main story, I think it's tighter, maybe? I've played Y0 through K2 and to be honest I have such a hard time keeping track of the stories, because I play them over such long periods of time, spending so much of it dicking around with sidequests, that by the time I pick up the main story thread again I've forgotten who everyone is and why they're betraying each other. I do seem to remember K2 having a lot of twists and turns and betrayals, but it's been so long since Y0 that I can't compare the two too directly.

If nothing else, it's a little more focused than 0 because there's only one playable character, so it's really just Kiryu's poo poo you'll have to keep track of.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I googled up steam summer sale and saw a “leak” that it runs from 6/25 - 7/9. Is that probably accurate?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
That’s certainly in line with past years.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Orv posted:

I'm pretty sure you played it but House of the Dying Sun heavily holds my top modern campaign space sim slot. Not perfect but the feel of that game is fantastic.

I did; it was one of the first VR games I played too! The dull, booming bass of explosions and weapons-fire nearly deafened by vacuum is top notch. Still, still loses to FS2 as capital-class spaceship beam weapons go, though: FS2's beams look and sound like the barely-restrained apocalyptic force that they are in game.

In other words

sebmojo posted:

psamtik: surrender belisarius

belisarius: no fuk u

psamtik: k

psamtik: BBBBWWWOOOOAAAUURRREEEOOOOOOMMMMMMM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
The thing missing from a lot of modern space/flight and hell, even driving games, is story.

FS2 is non stop story from beginning to end. Great cutscenes, great mission briefings, and when you're in mission it's an endless stream of mission-unique chatter over comms. It makes the game world seem alive.

So many games now give you a basic text-only description if the mission, nothing but random AI barks during the mission, and save story and cutscenes for later. It's all so barren and lifeless. Hell, even that recent Maneater shark game knew that you had to add a human touch by having Chris Parnell pipe up often as he narrates the game.

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 1, 2020