Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Thesaurus posted:

Being a royal in some low key country like Belgium is probably ideal. I assume it's a life of endless wealth and privilege but nobody really gives a poo poo about what you do

I would like to retract my earlier statement and you don't gotta hand it to the Belgian royalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

what is there to even do in belgium

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
eat waffles

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Dumb Lowtax posted:

What? I've seen papers on Google Scholar talk about how washing N95's in peroxide and drying them is one of the most effective methods at cleaning them without reducing their future particulate filtering capacity.

I would like to see such links, because the CDC says the cleaning methods are to use peroxide vapor, moist heat or UV

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/ppe-strategy/decontamination-reuse-respirators.html

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/washing-masks-effective-virus/

quote:

Testing Mask Filtration Effectiveness
Although the mask was used for over a week, it still very captured 99% of particles. This fits with previous Smart Air results where masks retained effectiveness nearly unaffected after being worn 11 days, 20 days, and even 30 days.

However, washing the mask was much worse than natural “aging.” Washing decreased particle capture by 21%.

Washing N95 mask with soap and water decreases effectiveness

That is still better than the effectiveness of some surgical masks, but it’s a large drop.

Why Is Washing Masks So Harmful?
The answer to this question lies in the fibers companies use to make masks. To make N95 and other pollution masks, most companies use a mat of randomly aligned, very thin fibers.

Manufacturers then give these sheets an electrostatic charge.

Washing removes that static electric charge, which decreases performance. Vigorous washing may also damage the fibers, making it easier for particles to pass through.

Bottom line: Washing masks with soap and water decreases particle capture effectiveness. Washing is not a solution for extending mask lifespan.

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 02:10 on Jun 1, 2020

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

good food, good beer, looking at little boy statue penis

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Steve Yun posted:

I would like to see such links, because the CDC says the cleaning methods are to use peroxide vapor, moist heat or UV

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/ppe-strategy/decontamination-reuse-respirators.html

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/washing-masks-effective-virus/

This one used liquid peroxide on N95s and found it effective.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/155892501000500405

I think I saw another paper that did too by following the references here:

https://utrf.tennessee.edu/information-faqs-charged-filtration-material-performance-after-various-sterilization-techniques/

So it seems that liquid peroxide is at least not strongly counterindicated on N95's (these researchers must not believe it would destroy their static).

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Thesaurus posted:

Being a royal in some low key country like Belgium is probably ideal. I assume it's a life of endless wealth and privilege but nobody really gives a poo poo about what you do

the one small downside is that every five year there's a three week long controversy about how your wealth was stolen from enslaved Africans on rubber plantations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Atrocious Joe posted:

the one small downside is that every five year there's a three week long controversy about how your wealth was stolen from enslaved Africans on rubber plantations.
Do they have to act sad about it for a few minutes on TV every 5 years? If so, I don't know how royalty has survived this long.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I know America is on fire right now but who won the May Cumdeath guessing game?

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Cell phone towers got shut off in MN by police btw, while they do god knows what to everyone during the blackout. Sucks for you if you need to call a hospital during a pandemic!

Cite your sources, I haven't been able to find any reputable source reporting this. Stop spreading misinformation.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

spaceblancmange posted:

:cawg:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Dumb Lowtax posted:

https://utrf.tennessee.edu/information-faqs-charged-filtration-material-performance-after-various-sterilization-techniques/

So it seems that liquid peroxide is at least not strongly counterindicated on N95's (these researchers must not believe it would destroy their static).

Just to mention that Hydrogen Peroxide vapor is pretty bad poo poo and in this paper they are not talking about using your weaksauce 3% H2O2 solution from the pharmacy but 30% to 60% stuff. 30% stuff is reasonably well behaved but will do bad poo poo to you if spilled or, god forbid, inhaled. 60% stuff can become very badly behaved indeed if mishandled.

Munin has issued a correction as of 06:13 on Jun 1, 2020

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Lord Of Texas posted:

Cite your sources, I haven't been able to find any reputable source reporting this. Stop spreading misinformation.

Shut the gently caress up.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lord Of Texas posted:

we are currently in the Cool Zone "reputable sources" won't be reputable for the next 2-8 weeks, embrace it

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
(In a very smarmy Dr Evil voice.) "Ooh I can't find a reputable news source to verify this new information from a zone where the police are attacking journalists and therefore it must be, shall I say, fake news."

Shut all the way up.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

drink beer thats too malty

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

spaceblancmange posted:

the final worldometers count for May is 106195

looks like hacker alias "Clever Hans" won it with their guess of 107000

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
lol this is like the hundredth time I've heard about the Belgian royals

the 99 preceding times were bc I know these dumbass brothers (here in America) who are super proud to supposedly be 60-63rd in line for the crown

I'm glad it's as much of a joke as I'd imagined

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Highest daily case number yet today in Alaska. Re-opening is going great!

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

we are currently in the Cool Zone "reputable sources" won't be reputable for the next 2-8 weeks, embrace it

it's an extremely dumb thing to say when Regg and UnicornRiot are currently streaming from MN

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Munin posted:

Just to mention that Hydrogen Peroxide vapor is pretty bad poo poo and in this paper they are not talking about using your weaksauce 3% H2O2 solution from the pharmacy but 30% to 60% stuff. 30% stuff is reasonably well behaved but will do bad poo poo to you if spilled or, god forbid, inhaled. 60% stuff can become very badly behaved indeed if mishandled.

this guy knows what’s up. concentrated peroxides are really really dangerous. like don’t gently caress with class 5.1 and 5.2 dangerous goods please.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

this guy knows what’s up. concentrated peroxides are really really dangerous. like don’t gently caress with class 5.1 and 5.2 dangerous goods please.

maybe there’s a way to inject them into the body? get rid of Corona viras? can you look into that, yes?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

maybe there’s a way to inject them into the body? get rid of Corona viras? can you look into that, yes?

I promise you that if you do this you will not die of COVID

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Epic High Five posted:

I promise you that if you do this you will not die of COVID

this will be the only time it's acceptable to label it a death WITH covid

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Wrex Ruckus posted:

the final worldometers count for May is 106195

looks like hacker alias "Clever Hans" won it with their guess of 107000
That's so lame. The number is probably 138,000. That was my guess (I didn't post, but have been following the numbers since February).

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Djimi posted:

That's so lame. The number is probably 138,000. That was my guess (I didn't post, but have been following the numbers since February).

The numbers are probably way higher. Like easily over 150k. My 120k guess took into account what I thought would be fudged numbers but that didn't work out at all.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Reddbrouw posted:

Hospitals are figuring out better action plans and achieving better outcomes.

If this were true individual doctors would be publishing these plans everywhere for gigantic doctor nerd cred

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Djimi posted:

I like your optimism lmao

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Just to be clear, they are not using the peroxide you can get in the pharmacy. Whatever they are using is not over the counter stuff. Do not use the paper as evidence that you can recondition N95 masks using peroxide you can just use in a store.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO GET HIGH STRENGTH PEROXIDE. Mishandling it will land you in hospital.

For a more lighthearted take going through how peroxides are a land of contrast and why messing with the the more hard to obtain variants are a bad idea read this:
https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2014/10/10/things_i_wont_work_with_peroxide_peroxides

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008
What do people think about this: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2020/06/coronavirus-losing-potency-top-italian-doctor-200601044959952.html

Seems to me like Brazil would have a word to say about that but IDK

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
may over, pandemic over, back to work, open up the cool zone

kater
Nov 16, 2010

covid was fuckin embarrassing, glad its over

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

spaceblancmange posted:

oops I'll post a final update on it tomorrow when I'm back at my computer. I have to defrost

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Munin posted:

Just to be clear, they are not using the peroxide you can get in the pharmacy. Whatever they are using is not over the counter stuff. Do not use the paper as evidence that you can recondition N95 masks using peroxide you can just use in a store.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO GET HIGH STRENGTH PEROXIDE. Mishandling it will land you in hospital.

For a more lighthearted take going through how peroxides are a land of contrast and why messing with the the more hard to obtain variants are a bad idea read this:
https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2014/10/10/things_i_wont_work_with_peroxide_peroxides

I don't think they said what concentration in the paper so I had no idea that they weren't talking about the standard 3% and have been using it on masks, lmao whoops

BUT this was not the original point. The original question was whether liquids were safe to use on N95's without destroying some kind of static electricity balance. These papers are using liquids on N95s. It might not be a liquid that I have, but I don't see why 3% would be worse for the mask than 60%, and 3% peroxide is known to kill COVID on surfaces.

Maybe someone can answer this before the new thread launches lol

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spaceblancmange posted:

im kinda salty cause I feel like my guess of 169,420 would be right on the money without the suppression going on of death statistics but I shoulda taken that into account when I made my guess!!!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I don't think they said what concentration in the paper so I had no idea that they weren't talking about the standard 3% and have been using it on masks, lmao whoops

4th page of the PDF you linked states exactly what they tested. It is clear from the conclusion at the end that the 6% peroxide solution etc were no good for the mask. The Hydrogen Peroxide treatment that did work well and with high penetration was the Hydrogen Peroxide gas plasma treatment which is very far from dunking a mask in household bleach.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

BUT this was not the original point. The original question was whether liquids were safe to use on N95's without destroying some kind of static electricity balance. These papers are using liquids on N95s. It might not be a liquid that I have, but I don't see why 3% would be worse for the mask than 60%, and 3% peroxide is known to kill COVID on surfaces.

Maybe someone can answer this before the new thread launches lol

Just read this: https://www.sages.org/n-95-re-use-instructions/

Dry heat is the easiest and least faff.

Bleach etc is firmly not recommended.

I should have looked for that page first but boggled at the misinterpretation of the paper too much.

Munin has issued a correction as of 10:14 on Jun 1, 2020

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
You could almost get me to buy that the curfew in Arizona is a good thing since we had record cases Saturday and the second most on Sunday but the rules are just as loose as the lockdown we had two weeks ago, if anything, even more liberal because you can probably eat in a restaurant still since "getting food" is pretty vague.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Munin posted:

4th page of the PDF you linked states exactly what they tested. It is clear from the conclusion at the end that the 6% peroxide solution etc were no good for the mask. The Hydrogen Peroxide treatment that did work well and with high penetration was the Hydrogen Peroxide gas plasma treatment which is very far from dunking a mask in household bleach.

But bleach isn't hydrogren peroxide -- that's sodium hypochlorite, a different chemical.

I don't think the paper says anything bad about the 6% liquid hydrogen peroxide they tried, only the bleach. Correct me if I'm wrong.

And household peroxide is the same stuff as what these researchers used, except at half-strength -- 3% instead of 6% -- which wouldn't hurt the mask either if 6% won't, yet it's still strong enough to kill COVID according to other papers.

See folks, apparently what they used was at nowhere near 30% or 60% strength, because like the above poster pointed out from page 4, they diluted it first:

quote:

30-min submersion in 6% (one part hydrogen peroxide to four parts of deionized water) solution of
hydrogen peroxide. Manufacturing specification: 30% hydrogen peroxide;

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 10:24 on Jun 1, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
More importantly, how do we reconcile the paper we're talking about with the one posted earlier on the page, which said this?

quote:

Manufacturers then give these sheets an electrostatic charge.

Washing removes that static electric charge, which decreases performance. Vigorous washing may also damage the fibers, making it easier for particles to pass through.

It claims that liquid ruins masks, yet here the paper I linked used a lot of liquids on n95s, after which they still tested fine?

Which paper is wrong?

Why does science have to contradict itself so often with COVID. Rememebering when the CDC told us not to even wear masks...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Why does science have to contradict itself so often with COVID. Rememebering when the CDC told us not to even wear masks...

I suppose I should expect this from someone calling themselves Dumb Lowtax.

People who need to recondition masks just follow the recommendations as outlined here as posted before:
https://www.sages.org/n-95-re-use-instructions/

Don't try to interpret preliminary research, which doesn't even evaluate the effectiveness of the mask post treatment.

Paper posted:

This study did not evaluate FFR filtration efficiency of actual bioaerosols following a decontamination treatment, which is a relevant concern. Additionally, this study did not evaluate the ability of each treatment condition to inactivate infectious biological organisms (such as H5N1 or 2009 H1N1 influenza virus) from contaminated FFR or evaluate the effect on fitting characteristics of decontaminated FFR after 1X and 3X decontamination.