Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Munin posted:

I suppose I should expect this from someone calling themselves Dumb Lowtax.

People who need to recondition masks just follow the recommendations as outlined here as posted before:
https://www.sages.org/n-95-re-use-instructions/

Don't try to interpret preliminary research, which doesn't even evaluate the effectiveness of the mask post treatment.

Can you forgive a layman for trying to figure out what the hell to do? No need to call me a dumbass. Just tell me what you're doing, are you putting masks in the oven? What is your dry heat source? Are my masks that got soaked & dried with peroxide trash now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Can you forgive a layman for trying to figure out what the hell to do? No need to call me a dumbass. Just tell me what you're doing, are you putting masks in the oven? What is your dry heat source? Are my masks that got soaked & dried with peroxide trash now?

idk a trashed mask is still probably better than nothing :shrug:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

stop worrying about masks and tie a bandana around your face

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Sorry, little sleep over here and I wasn't sure if you were being willfully obtuse.

Anyway, yes, an oven should do as long as you can set it to the right temperature range. I think most domestic ovens can be set that low.

I wouldn't count on the ones you soaked in hydrogen peroxide being N95 grade anymore. They can most likely still do a fine job as a standard mask to keep droplets clear of your mouth and nose and stop your droplets getting about should you be infected. Just make sure that the fit is still good and the material of the filter and mask hasn't started falling apart.

The fundamental problem is that the default N95 masks were never meant to be reused over and over again. Even the reconditioning shouldn't be done too often if you absolutely need to rely on these masks, as you would do in a medical setting.

Munin has issued a correction as of 11:12 on Jun 1, 2020

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

another thing is that unless you're working as an "essential employee" engaging with the public on a regular basis you have absolutely no need for a n95 mask unless your job already required one; they require proper fitting and training to use properly and some random one you bought from home depot or alibaba and strapped on isn't gonna offer much benifit over relatively loose fitting surgical mask or bandana. especially if it's the type with an exhalation valve because then if you are infected you're just spraying that poo poo thru it.

generally speaking masks are to protect others from your spewing poo poo out of your face holes, not the other way 'round. an n95 is complete overkill for that.

<edit> the fitting issue is less a problem with one of the fancier rubber/silicon face pieces with replaceable filters but they're still overkill and still have the exhaust valve problem

Oneiros has issued a correction as of 11:25 on Jun 1, 2020

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Djimi posted:

That's so lame. The number is probably 138,000. That was my guess (I didn't post, but have been following the numbers since February).

that's pretty close to my guess of 137500 so I feel robbed too!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Easiest N95 sanitization is to just let it sit for 4 days. if you only have one, don’t use it daily, save it for situations like having to ride in an airplane or other major exposure risk.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Easiest N95 sanitization is to just let it sit for 4 days. if you only have one, don’t use it daily, save it for situations like having to ride in an airplane or other major exposure risk.

True.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Oneiros posted:

another thing is that unless you're working as an "essential employee" engaging with the public on a regular basis you have absolutely no need for a n95 mask unless your job already required one; they require proper fitting and training to use properly and some random one you bought from home depot or alibaba and strapped on isn't gonna offer much benifit over relatively loose fitting surgical mask or bandana. especially if it's the type with an exhalation valve because then if you are infected you're just spraying that poo poo thru it.

generally speaking masks are to protect others from your spewing poo poo out of your face holes, not the other way 'round. an n95 is complete overkill for that.

<edit> the fitting issue is less a problem with one of the fancier rubber/silicon face pieces with replaceable filters but they're still overkill and still have the exhaust valve problem

It's not so much that they require "fitting", it's that the fit needs to be tested to ensure that they are providing sufficient protection. The masks come in 1-2 sizes

As for the exhalation valve - respirators w/o these suck for extended use. The filter medium gets damp w/ your exhaled breaths and becomes difficult to breath through.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
THANK GOD thats over

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

It's not so much that they require "fitting", it's that the fit needs to be tested to ensure that they are providing sufficient protection. The masks come in 1-2 sizes

As for the exhalation valve - respirators w/o these suck for extended use. The filter medium gets damp w/ your exhaled breaths and becomes difficult to breath through.

they come in a few sizes yes but actually getting a decent seal against your face is not necessarily trivial. if you want an idea of how bad they can be at actually filtering poo poo if you dont' have a good fitting try putting one on and lighting a match or spraying some scented aerosol and see how it goes.

and yes, exhalation valves are for comfort and using a n95 mask without one does suck; the thing most masks were designed to keep poo poo out of your lungs, not to stop you from spreading poo poo to others. masks with an exhaust valve are loving useless at the latter.

to be very clear, i'm not saying not to wear a mask, or that a properly fitted n95 or equivalent mask isn't effective in the right situation, but unless you're immunocompromised or otherwise in an at-risk demographic you do not need a n95 mask to go grocery shopping and even if you do it's a lot more complicated than strapping on one you bought from home depot.

Oneiros has issued a correction as of 12:41 on Jun 1, 2020

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

The UK has also decided that coronavirus is now over and it's safe to just carry on as you were. There were shitloads of people out at the weekend, seemingly more traffic on the road, and beaches were packed like it was a regular summer's day. And people were still doing dumb poo poo like tombstoning at a beach that had to be closed after the air ambulance was called the previous day to rescue three idiots who injured themselves doing the same thing.

And there was this: https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/man-defies-warnings-swims-toxic-4177449

quote:

A man defied warnings from the fire service to go swimming in Derbyshire's infamous 'Blue Lagoon'.

The former quarry, which is actually a toxic lime dump, was dyed jet black in the early hours of Friday morning to prevent day trippers from being fooled into thinking it is a beauty spot.

However, despite warning signs surrounding the water and fire service personnel urging him not to enter, the man still took a dip in the toxic dump, officially known as Hoffman Quarry.

Enjoying our new freedoms to go swim in toxic lakes.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

holy poo poo lmao

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

alphabettitouretti posted:

The UK has also decided that coronavirus is now over and it's safe to just carry on as you were. There were shitloads of people out at the weekend, seemingly more traffic on the road, and beaches were packed like it was a regular summer's day. And people were still doing dumb poo poo like tombstoning at a beach that had to be closed after the air ambulance was called the previous day to rescue three idiots who injured themselves doing the same thing.

And there was this: https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/man-defies-warnings-swims-toxic-4177449

Enjoying our new freedoms to go swim in toxic lakes.

aren't most countries in the world still hunkering down like a motherfucker? it's just the rightwing strongman led countries like brazil, usa, and the UK being this loving dumb, right? I really hope we aren't dragging the rest of the world into this behavior

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

in restrospect i dont know how anyone ever thought americans would do lockdown once the weather got warm, lol. we are demon cracker idiots

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
what's this i'm occasionally hearing about a famine?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

redleader posted:

There's a big famine in east Africa from combined drought/locust swarm if that is what you are referring to

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

There's a big famine in east Africa from combined drought/locust swarm if that is what you are referring to

maybe? i'm seeing a few offhand references to an impending famine in the cool zone thread, and i assumed it was related to the rona for some reason. i dunno how international food supply chains work though

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

empty whippet box posted:

aren't most countries in the world still hunkering down like a motherfucker? it's just the rightwing strongman led countries like brazil, usa, and the UK being this loving dumb, right? I really hope we aren't dragging the rest of the world into this behavior

NZ is opening up but we basically have 0 covid cases rn, and we're still taking it slow.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

redleader posted:

This?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/31/people-are-going-to-go-hungry-pandemic-effects-could-leave-54m-americans-without-food

quote:

A record number of Americans face hunger this year as the catastrophic economic fallout caused by the coronavirus pandemic looks set to leave tens of millions of people unable to buy enough food to feed their families.

Nationwide, the demand for aid at food banks and pantries has soared since the virus forced the economy to be shutdown, resulting in more than 40m new unemployment benefit claims, according to the latest figures.

As a result, an estimated one in four children, the equivalent of 18 million minors, could need food aid this year – a 63% increase compared to 2018.

Overall, about 54 million people across the US could go hungry without help from food banks, food stamps and other aid, according to an analysis by Feeding America, the national food bank network.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

redleader posted:

how much do u weigh

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

empty whippet box posted:

In Melbourne you could always get a haircut, and can now go to restaurants with 20 people, can stay in hotels, host parties etc. Most everything else opens on the 22nd.

But we're now in winter and it seems like community transmission is getting worse than it was earlier in the year.

And the premier (governor equivalent) is still telling everyone to work from home if they can.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
forums poster Dumb Lowtax seems to be confused about what N95 is. It's just a rating used to delineate a certain type of mask, not a model number. KN95 is just the name of the standard used in China, it's FFP2 in the EU. KN95 isn't meaningfully different from N95 for you regular civilians going to the grocery store, more than likely they're the exact same mask with a different label, so just use KN95 if you can get it. Whatever minor difference there is between a KN95 and an N95 is outweighted 100x by you loving up the fitting of the mask or touching your face trying to adjust it or soaking your old N95 in poisonous household cleaning chemicals because you don't want to buy a KN95.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

sebmojo posted:

NZ is opening up but we basically have 0 covid cases rn, and we're still taking it slow.

if europe (nevermind the us) followed the nz lockdown deescalation policy it wouldnt open until the year 3000

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

wonder if there's any truth to this:

New coronavirus losing potency, top Italian doctor says
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-virus/new-coronavirus-losing-potency-top-italian-doctor-says-idUSKBN2370OQ

“The strength the virus had two months ago is not the same strength it has today,” said Matteo Bassetti, head of the infectious diseases clinic at the San Martino hospital in the city of Genoa.

“It is clear that today the COVID-19 disease is different.”

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rauros posted:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-virus/new-coronavirus-losing-potency-top-italian-doctor-says-idUSKBN2370OQ

“The strength the virus had two months ago is not the same strength it has today,” said Matteo Bassetti, head of the infectious diseases clinic at the San Martino hospital in the city of Genoa.

Literally zero actual reasons, data or explanation given. Just a couple doctors being like "yea, it's totally weakening, we need to get back to normal and OPEN 'ER UP"

extremely obvious propaganda

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

THANK GOD thats over

I was going to ask how the trend is looking since it's been a few weeks since OPEN 'ER UP. So as expected virus number went up?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Rauros posted:

most viruses naturally self-select to less deadly strains because the longer the host lives the more capable they are of spreading the disease

however, i though covid was specifically not subject to this kind of evolutionary pressure due to the incredibly long incubation and asymptomatic spread periods

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

NofrikinfuN posted:

most viruses naturally self-select to less deadly strains because the longer the host lives the more capable they are of spreading the disease

however, i though covid was specifically not subject to this kind of evolutionary pressure due to the incredibly long incubation and asymptomatic spread periods

yeah, myxomatosis in rabbits is good example of self-attenuation. covid has a low fatality rate, so there shouldn't be evolutionary pressure there to become less virulent. with the trade-off between transmission and virulence, all viruses that transmit well need to have a base level of virulence, because enough cells need to be infected to create an effective viral load for transmission.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Wrex Ruckus posted:

the final worldometers count for May is 106195

looks like hacker alias "Clever Hans" won it with their guess of 107000

I'd like to thank my family, Lowtax, and our dark lord Satan for all of my great success.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

covid is over, yay!

this dry run for a deadly pandemic was a complete success

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Is there a pool for June?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

WrenP-Complete posted:

Is there a pool for June?
This is the only type of pool you should be thinking about. Covid is over, now it's time to enjoy the sun.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
my apartment complex is randomly charging some fees saying they're in the lease when they're not, I probably just got myself kicked out by telling the front office bitch I was getting a lawyer to review the lease and paperwork but no one can absorb 100$+ randomly each month during a pandemic when most of us don't have jobs

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

:sun:

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

this dry run for a deadly pandemic was a complete success

technically true for everyone that didn't die

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

net work error posted:

I was going to ask how the trend is looking since it's been a few weeks since OPEN 'ER UP. So as expected virus number went up?

yes all number go up

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1267468474084929539?s=20

Mission Accomplished

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COVID-19
Mar 2, 2020

by Cyrano4747

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This is the only type of pool you should be thinking about. Covid is over, now it's time to enjoy the sun.

Is that a bowl of pasta with chips around it