Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

JBP posted:

I just had to attack a doomstack waaaagh orc army to save the last dwarfs in the mountains (I have a heart of gold for an elf) and I was worried about the spiders. So Imrik rides around talking poo poo slaying them with three units of turbocharged dragon princes running interference for him. This guy is a monster. He's a hero.

You may look upon me :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Any other fixes of note in there?

That's the only thing the news on Steam mentions.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Am I the only one that'd rather the AI have completely different rules from me if it makes the campaign better? The reality is that we're not going to get an AI that can match a person* in a game like this any time soon (or if we are it's going to be running wargames for governments and poo poo long before it's in a Total War video game), so just make the game fun. The ideal would honestly be each lord's campaign custom-tailored and have the AI just completely ignoring the rules to make engaging scenarios for you, scaled for difficulty on a scale of "fly my lord in a circle for ten minutes to drain their ammo" vs "hahaha warp cannon go zap"

Since that can't happen, I'd really love to be able to set the buffs for the AI and debuffs for the player independently, and even better, have the individual options modifiable instead of just having to choose the whole suite at one level. For example I really like the public order debuffs on VH/L because I have to really consider my building slots and juggle growth/PO/money/units, but I loving hate a one-city AI making GBS threads out three stacks at me. Let me put AI recruitment slots to "normal" but player public order malus to "very hard."

*having a fuckton of AI factions all playing by the same rules as you with human-level competency would also probably not be nearly as fun as people make it out to be imo, but I'd try it

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 1, 2020

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Am I the only one-

No.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah, I don't get people who go "THE AI ISN'T PLAYING FAIR :cry:" every player controlled faction is cheating in it's own way with how many starting bonuses and units your faction and lord has compared to the 0 some minor faction has.

Crank the AI up to 11 and give a real challenge and delay the point where you are just map painting with unbeatable armies and 50 bonuses stacked on top of each other.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also like people loving hate when the AI actually plays smart. People already constantly complain about the AI stopping right out of range of your armies, running from fights they don't have the advantage in, taking most fights in their fortified cities and spamming agent actions at you. All of which are smart and absolutely the correct play for the AI to take.

What people seem to want is an AI that's stupid in the same way a novice human player is so they can feel smart about beating them. But I know for a fact if I had to play an AI that played like Legend of Total War, who objectively is playing the game really well, I would rage quit in a second.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Listen I like a good challenge but the *art* is not showing it.

it feels cheap and lovely to me when suddenly the AI can pull stacks out of its rear end. The game deliberately presents our factions as equally competing on the same playing field. I don't want to see an army teleport into existence. There are plenty of ways you could fluff and present a loving timely rescue of an underperforming faction or enemy that don't involve the guy I just killed teleporting back from the dead with all his homies

Zore posted:

Also like people loving hate when the AI actually plays smart. People already constantly complain about the AI stopping right out of range of your armies, running from fights they don't have the advantage in, taking most fights in their fortified cities and spamming agent actions at you. All of which are smart and absolutely the correct play for the AI to take.

What people seem to want is an AI that's stupid in the same way a novice human player is so they can feel smart about beating them. But I know for a fact if I had to play an AI that played like Legend of Total War, who objectively is playing the game really well, I would rage quit in a second.

I loving hate this too for much the same reason. When I'm playing 'chase the shithead rats' rather than playing the game I have to ask: Why is the game trying to make this less fun for me.

You either present them as competing on the same playing field or you have them be artificial obstacles for you, the only sentient being. Pick one. The hybrid system doesn't work.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 1, 2020

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

arguably the issue with AI cheats and cheese is ultimately about fundamental weaknesses in the basic game concept. AI camping cities wouldn't be an issue if siege battles weren't so labourious. the AI might not need so many free armies to be a contender if unit upgrades didn't stack so high. etc etc

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So, I captured a Vampire Coast lord from a sea battle using the Cage. He's not appearing in my dungeon to interrogate, but I get the benefit (+leadership against VCoast) that says I've captured him there. Any ideas? Or is it because I captured him during a sea battle? And will this block me off from capturing more?

e: Turns out that yes, that was the issue, and no, it won't block me off.
e2: If I execute a captive, do I lose the ability I learned from interrogating them? Is there a list of upgrades?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 1, 2020

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Zore posted:

Yes I hate fighting Wood Elves as well :v:

Ravenfood posted:

So, I captured a Vampire Coast lord from a sea battle using the Cage. He's not appearing in my dungeon to interrogate, but I get the benefit (+leadership against VCoast) that says I've captured him there. Any ideas? Or is it because I captured him during a sea battle? And will this block me off from capturing more?

This is a known bug. Think you'll be fine to capture more but just quick save beforehand in case.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Was it a proper Vampire Coast faction (such as Luthor's or Noctilus) or just a treasure battle at sea army? The latter's faction only spawns for the fight and win or lose they go away afterwards. With how the system works, any lord that you imprison is removed when their faction dies. Same goes with rebellion or event/quest armies too.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Choyi posted:

Was it a proper Vampire Coast faction (such as Luthor's or Noctilus) or just a treasure battle at sea army? The latter's faction only spawns for the fight and win or lose they go away afterwards. With how the system works, any lord that you imprison is removed when their faction dies. Same goes with rebellion or event/quest armies too.

Treasure battle, and that was the issue. Makes sense. Thanks.

e: gently caress, I can only keep one interrogation bonus at a time? That sucks.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 1, 2020

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Rebellion armies have a specific message about immediately executing the 'insignificant prisoner' for 2 supplies though. I don't remember seeing that when I captured the last lord of the Arachnos faction or from the Treasure VC army.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Zore posted:

The trick to game design is making an AI that fights the player in a way that's fun but still feels smart. This is why Skaven suck, because there isn't really a way to fight them without making an army that'll be fine being ambushed and then baiting ambushes forever. They'll constantly run away from every other fight and it's just annoying while still managing to feel unfair because their 4 settlements somehow have 8 stacks between them.

In fact i've found the best way to fight them is in a co-op campaign, where you immediately just hand off 6 units of cav off to your friend and have him murder countless rats while you stop your line from running off while still actually giving them orders to attack so its not one unit fighting 3.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 1, 2020

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Is there any reason to ever recruit an orc warboss as a lord? They seem to be just inferior to the goblin warboss since the gobbos can boost goblin and squig troops and later get a spider mount?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Started a Spirit of the Jungle campaign, and how the gently caress do you make money in this? I have 16 settlements giving me a pittance of tribute, and I can't raid. I can only afford one army right now, because I dumped XP into getting the "reduced upkeep cost" skills. My second army is literally just the leader, since if I buy him a couple dudes my economy tanks.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Started a Spirit of the Jungle campaign, and how the gently caress do you make money in this? I have 16 settlements giving me a pittance of tribute, and I can't raid. I can only afford one army right now, because I dumped XP into getting the "reduced upkeep cost" skills. My second army is literally just the leader, since if I buy him a couple dudes my economy tanks.

Ask the defenders for money.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Max red temple, Nakai doomstack with Kroxigors. It's one of the worst designed campaigns in the game imo. It's a good thing extra armies are optional because their GR only ginmick really sucks.

Also I'd post an imgur to more cute rosters if I had them, sorry. :(

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Falcorum posted:

Ask the defenders for money.

That never once came across my mind, as in my thousands of hours of total war gameplay over the decades, I've never asked an ally for money. It worked, those chumps just gave me 3000 bucks!

Doomykins posted:

Max red temple, Nakai doomstack with Kroxigors. It's one of the worst designed campaigns in the game imo. It's a good thing extra armies are optional because their GR only ginmick really sucks.

Also I'd post an imgur to more cute rosters if I had them, sorry. :(

Yeah, my main army is turning into a monster that can fight anything, just sucks when a half dozen dark elf factions declare war on you at once.

At least the dark elves seem loaded with cash, so I can run a deficit for a few turns.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

That never once came across my mind, as in my thousands of hours of total war gameplay over the decades, I've never asked an ally for money. It worked, those chumps just gave me 3000 bucks!

And you can do it every few turns!

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Loaded up a dwarf game today to test out some gun line formations and took it a bit slower. Worked much better.

Also whoever recommended playing on one of the top two campaign difficulties and knocking down battle difficulty to hard or normal is a genius. Lots of fights and an aggressive AI but it's actually fun cause you can rout and kill the enemy while your force is slowly whittled down each fight in a turn getting a bit harder.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

With good relations you can ask ally for money every 10 turns and they will give least a token sum depending on how rich their economy is, the Defenders faction will be able to give you much more then a standard faction and its not uncommon to get 15k+ every 10 turns from them once you get going.

If your reliability dips rating however you are less likely to get any tributes much like any other deal, so do keep that in mind.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
I'm playing a Huntsmarshal's expedition campaign and got a weird bug. After you take a few provinces I think you're supposed to get a cut scene with Gor Roks introduction, but I've already wiped out Itza so I don't think he's got anywhere to spawn. So I'm just getting the advisor and a black screen.

Anyone had this?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Thinking about AI as well. Its 100% about providing a good level of fun challenge while avoiding doing things that are obviously dumb and also if possible not throwing it's cheating in your face. Total war AI makes some dumb choices that seem really easy to fix.

Province build decisions and army composition can literally be solved through templates/priority ordering rather than whatever the hell is going on now.

You could even add some randomization in to stop it literally being the same army x 100.

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 1, 2020

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

Yeah, my main army is turning into a monster that can fight anything, just sucks when a half dozen dark elf factions declare war on you at once.

At least the dark elves seem loaded with cash, so I can run a deficit for a few turns.

You can ask for 5-8k like every 5 turns or so, depending on the state of their economy (I think that's what it depends on, it might just be random dice rolls who knows), but they did most of my economic heavy lifting for sure

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Starting anywhere near Snikch and Grimgor is a recipe for pain. You either end up getting ambush spammed by the rats, or WAAAAGH spammed by the mean greenies. Or both. Usually both.

Imrik looks cool, but I have given up trying to make that start work. I can only fight 50 billion black orc stacks per turn from turn 40 on for so long.

I'm kind of terrified of trying Khalida or Kroq'gar now, because I know I'm not going to be able to stop the Snikch/Grimgor deathballs and that they WILL attack me.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
https://youtu.be/F_iw6Exlom0

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Man,

Wurzag owns.

Savage orcs become dirt cheap and get 50% physical resist AND deal magic damage? :stare: Rapid fire foot of gorks? Extra durability for giants, idols and spiders and trolls?

Yes

yes please

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Zzulu posted:

Man,

Wurzag owns.

Savage orcs become dirt cheap and get 50% physical resist AND deal magic damage? :stare: Rapid fire foot of gorks? Extra durability for giants, idols and spiders and trolls?

Yes

yes please

He's a loving blast now, agreed

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I find it endlessly hilarious that of all the fantasy disciplines of magic the greenskins have arguably the 2 most powerful

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I find it endlessly hilarious that of all the fantasy disciplines of magic the greenskins have arguably the 2 most powerful

Yeah they're both great. Goblin shamans get slept on but they're strong. And get arachnoroks now.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Orks are da best

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Am I the only one that'd rather the AI have completely different rules from me if it makes the campaign better? The reality is that we're not going to get an AI that can match a person* in a game like this any time soon (or if we are it's going to be running wargames for governments and poo poo long before it's in a Total War video game), so just make the game fun. The ideal would honestly be each lord's campaign custom-tailored and have the AI just completely ignoring the rules to make engaging scenarios for you, scaled for difficulty on a scale of "fly my lord in a circle for ten minutes to drain their ammo" vs "hahaha warp cannon go zap"

I basically typed this same thought out yesterday but deleted the post because I couldn't come up with any good examples of how it could be done within the TW formula. I guess you could look at something like the original 90s XCOM. The AI is playing a metagame against you and you can gently caress up their plans, but what they are playing is 100% completely different from what you are playing.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The only issue I see with hand-tailoring the AI to make interesting scenarios for the player is that it could ruin the "sandbox" nature of ME. It would be perfect for Vortex though.

I have to admit I had hoped Eltharion's Vortex campaign would be some sort of wave based survival where you defend Ulthuan against various waves of goblin invasions until the last battle. The current version feels kind of half-baked, where you spend 10-15 turns kicking the goblins and VC out, then you can fart around in the southlands until the final battle if you really want.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I just picked up WH2 after never having played a TW game before, is there a good resource somewhere for basic questions/strats? Preferably in text form rather than hour-long youtube videos but I'll take what I can get. I've been playing Mazdamundi and I seem to be doing okay but I have the feeling I'm actually bad.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

I just picked up WH2 after never having played a TW game before, is there a good resource somewhere for basic questions/strats? Preferably in text form rather than hour-long youtube videos but I'll take what I can get. I've been playing Mazdamundi and I seem to be doing okay but I have the feeling I'm actually bad.
I guess post here if you have any questions?
You probably did well picking Mazdamundi for your first game. He has a strong start and the Lizardmen in general have a fairly basic, simple campaign. Get big monsters. Have the big monsters smash the puny warmbloods.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

How about a bunch of very short youtube videos?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

This was pretty cool, it reminded me of the movie Gettysburg, but with better shots and thinner actors. Also kind of makes me want to play TW: Napoleon again.

Badger of Basra posted:

Best resource for strats is probably https://www.youtube.com/user/ZerkovichVsThePeople. Any additional questions you have might as well be asked here.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

It's kind of weird that I'm now playing a HE campaign and despite having access to so many drat different lores wielded by the planet's masters of magic, none of them feel better than a orc shaman trundling around on his fat boar casting Foot of Gork over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Imo a well placed Burning Head is way more satisfying than a well placed Foot.

Then again I really like Lore of Fire in general.