Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Gwent is out on Android devices today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Mordiceius posted:

I think it's just a little overwhelming to get thrown into without ever having played the standalone Gwent game. You're thrown into the game with a full deck and every card does stuff but the game doesn't really spend time letting you get a feel for the flow of how card battle should go. I mean, W3 Gwent is super simple and most the cards don't do anything when you're first starting or have very simple mechanics. I'm getting used to it now, but I think it's a little overwhelming that you're just thrown in with a full deck without explanation.
There's a lot of weirdness to thronebreaker. The game behaves like the wagon is some kind of powerhouse card when the entire game can be run over with scythemen and arbalests.

The first chapter is fun, second chapter is cool, third gets stale, fourth is intolerable outside of one battle, but then the rest of the game is neat. Writing is excellent throughout, it's interesting how much talent went into the game even though the gameplay design feels like an afterthought.

The Vikings
Jul 3, 2004

ODIN!!!!!

Nap Ghost
Just found this on Android. Any beginner tips? Should I be buying faction packs, or base set/expansion packs? Any good deck sites?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I don't link to Reddit lightly, but this is a good guide and I'm too lazy to rewrite it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/fwem36/new_player_guide_for_all_the_incoming_android/

The official Gwent website has a deck section.

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks

Lastly, there's several good streamers but I think the most newbie friendly option is the YouTube videos by Freddybabes. He explains all of his thoughts out loud in detail so you can really understand exactly how everything works. A lot of other streamers assume you already know everything.

The Vikings
Jul 3, 2004

ODIN!!!!!

Nap Ghost

rydiafan posted:

I don't link to Reddit lightly, but this is a good guide and I'm too lazy to rewrite it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/fwem36/new_player_guide_for_all_the_incoming_android/

The official Gwent website has a deck section.

https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks

Lastly, there's several good streamers but I think the most newbie friendly option is the YouTube videos by Freddybabes. He explains all of his thoughts out loud in detail so you can really understand exactly how everything works. A lot of other streamers assume you already know everything.

Yea I thought about reddit and came here, but this seems like great info. Thanks!

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

rydiafan posted:

Just one thing to know about the streamers; most only post their wins on Youtube, especially for deck guides. They're mostly good players, of course, but even the best player won't win every game, and every deck has its weaknesses, so don't get discouraged because you copied some streamer's netdeck and didn't immediately go on some epic win streak like you saw in their videos.

It is funny to compare the different playstyles of different streamers, too; some sit there mumbling to themselves and dithering until the timer almost runs out on every other play, and then you have the twitchy fuckers like Spyro who seem to be trying for max APM like it's SC2 instead of Gwent.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Not sure why people like doing this but if you’re playing seasonal against nilfgaard and your opponent plays operator with thirsty dame, pass right away. They’re about to break the game giving both infinite status boosts and I haven’t found a way to get out of the match without closing the app

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

the_american_dream posted:

Not sure why people like doing this but if you’re playing seasonal against nilfgaard and your opponent plays operator with thirsty dame, pass right away. They’re about to break the game giving both infinite status boosts and I haven’t found a way to get out of the match without closing the app

Also, screenshot and send a report to CDPR via GOG. Anyone who Operators Dame in Seasonal knows what they're doing and is deliberately trying to crash your game. Might be able to get them banned for it, especially if multiple people have reported the same user pulling that stunt.

Also, if you're playing NG against NG, for god's sake don't play a Dame or Cahir yourself; if the other player also plays one, that will trigger the same bug. Probably better off not playing NG at all in Seasonal for the moment.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

My seasonal play so far has consisted of five forfeits in the first round just so that I could technically have played five seasonal games to get through a quest. Now I'm to a quest that requires actually winning seasonal rounds, so I guess I just have to try again and pray that I don't hit Nilfgaard.

The nice thing about the fact that you can't lose ranks in ladder play is that once I reach rank 7 I can just have fun with meme decks. I don't feel like grinding to pro rank, and the end of season rewards from 7 to 1 are identical, so I've got nothing to lose. The last two weeks consisted of me playing a Ciri Nova deck and a rat swarm deck.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Just started playing with a 12-tactic Enslave deck I hacked together. Doesn't always work, but either way it's hilarious when you just literally steal all of your opponent's shite and use it against them.

First game I had with this deck, I queued against another 12-tactic Enslave deck and it was a really interesting match. I was not expecting that ending at all; it was truly hilarious, in a painful sort of way.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Been trying this game out again because of the Steam release - think the last time I tried it was a year ago on the PS4.

I'm liking it a lot more for some reason? I wasn't a big fan of Thronebreaker, but it seems like these intro decks have interesting synergies and some play to them.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Man playing a nilfgard deck is a loving blast if you have a crippling addiction to this game and have a great grasp on every factions strategy like myself :negative:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I main Nilfgaard but I tell myself I'm still a good person because I don't play scenario.

Although this week I'm playing Skellige for that sweet 175% exp.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I throw out scenario but rarely even finish it. Just use it mainly as a decoy to get the opp to play scared and steal a round

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 24, 2020

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

rydiafan posted:

I main Nilfgaard but I tell myself I'm still a good person because I don't play scenario.

Although this week I'm playing Skellige for that sweet 175% exp.

Playing a crazy Skellige Discard deck right now with Shupe, Radeyah, and Kambi. It's been far more successful than it has any right to be; opponents really don't know what to make of it, and it seems no one expects you to just poof that last winning card right out of their hand (often taking their leader ability and any Orders that were activating on their last turn with it). Also, having a Monsters opponent try to bleed me with a Yghern opener in R2 and then yoinking it with Shupe never gets old.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Playing Kambi immediately after your opponent plays Matta never gets old.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

For Journey, can I skip around for the weekly quests? Or skip from week 1 to week 2 (if say I don't have aristocrats, etc?)

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

You have to do them in order.

IIRC none of them require actually winning, so you can make a throwaway deck with everything you have that matches the keyword, then just lose a few games in seasonal or unranked real quick. I believe you should have at least a couple cards of every required type from the starting decks.

I get what CDPR was trying to do, encourage people to try different styles, but I think literally everyone just does what I described above.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

dennyk posted:

Playing a crazy Skellige Discard deck right now with Shupe, Radeyah, and Kambi. It's been far more successful than it has any right to be; opponents really don't know what to make of it, and it seems no one expects you to just poof that last winning card right out of their hand (often taking their leader ability and any Orders that were activating on their last turn with it). Also, having a Monsters opponent try to bleed me with a Yghern opener in R2 and then yoinking it with Shupe never gets old.

I haven’t figured a way to consistently beat skellige discard yet but I legit enjoy playing against this deck because of how cool the strategy is with it.

rydiafan posted:

You have to do them in order.

IIRC none of them require actually winning, so you can make a throwaway deck with everything you have that matches the keyword, then just lose a few games in seasonal or unranked real quick. I believe you should have at least a couple cards of every required type from the starting decks.

I get what CDPR was trying to do, encourage people to try different styles, but I think literally everyone just does what I described above.

Pretty much, but I admit I never would’ve actually gave a nilfgaard deck a shot if it wasn’t for the journey challenge for agents

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 26, 2020

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

rydiafan posted:

Playing Kambi immediately after your opponent plays Matta never gets old.

I destroyed a Hidden Cache opponent by doing that to his Passiflora. Only thing that felt slightly bad was that I was also holding a Heaver in hand. Still had a 25-point lead when he passed with two cards left in hand, though, after my Shupe: Hunter erased his Saul, so it all worked out... :v:

Edit: Just did the same thing to an NG Poison guy's Ball, which caused him to rage-AFK for three turns. Then when he finally came back, I baited him into blowing his Imposter on a ranged-row An Craite Longship. Oh yes, and he also kindly resuhffled Coral into my deck for me with Assire for some reason, for which I thanked him by reusing her for a bit more damage after redrawing her with Birna.

dennyk fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 28, 2020

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Made a random NG Aristocrat deck to get the Journey milestone done. Turns out lock really messes with Monster deathwish strats (to the point where I stopped getting GGs).

And for flavor, I really enjoyed having Serrit and Auckes play off each other.

Now for the zeal deck :)

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The last time I played my Witcher deck I got to live the dream when my opponent transformed like 6 units with Draug and I Auckesed them all.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Poor Serrit kinda gets the short end of that sibling combo stick.

Serrit: Do two more damage to a single unit... :geno:

Auckes: END YOUR DRAUG AND/OR CROSSBOWMAN AND/OR DRYAD SPAMMING OPPONENT'S WHOLE CAREER. :hellyeah:

Edit: Seriously, they should give Serrit the Lambert: Swordmaster ability or something, at least...

dennyk fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 29, 2020

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Messing around with Thronebreaker again and I'm liking it way more. And it looks like the full set gets unlocked by default (without golden chests) - nice!

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

https://www.twitch.tv/cdprojektred

Gwent Open - pretty cool matches so far

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I absolutely love the tournament format of Gwent Open.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

There's a countdown on playgwent.com that ends in just under three days. I assume new expansion incoming.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

rydiafan posted:

There's a countdown on playgwent.com that ends in just under three days. I assume new expansion incoming.

Nice! I've barely scratched the surface of Gwent, but I'm sure people are waiting for new content.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
What is rage afk?

Hoo boy I have just 0 answers for the skellige Queen strategy. Just pretty much luck out and banish her if they play it round one so I don’t see it again.

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 1, 2020

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Do not understand why I see so many doing the “boost your opponent” challenge so difficult when Yennifer of Vengerburg exists

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

What is rage afk?

After I Kambi'd his Ball, he just up and quit playing for the next few turns. If you don't play a card from hand before the turn timer runs out, it discards a random card from your hand, so I got to watch that happen for like three turns while I'm still putting down more points on my side. I like to imagine he spent that time slamming his forehead against the nearest hard surface while shouting "loving OP COCK FUUUUUUUCK!" loud enough for the neighbours to hear, but for all I know he just really had to take a poo poo or something.

Hoo boy I have just 0 answers for the skellige Queen strategy. Just pretty much luck out and banish her if they play it round one so I don’t see it again.

Even a banishment is only worth about eight points in R3, as they can pull off a weaker version of the same finisher by playing a Shieldmaiden directly (though it does prevent them from using Matta to get it, at least). Really, the best way to win is by taking R1 and drypassing R2 so you have a long (ideally 6+ card) R3. The Lippy deck has several big pointslam plays (often down to just two or three in the third round), but rarely runs any engines and is weak in the long round. In a long R3, it'll usually be Lippy for 9 (12 if they have Roach or Knickers), Cerys for 19, and Siggy into Jutta or Champ for 12 (or 16 if they run Crowmother); after that it'll be a bunch of 4-6 value shite that any decent engine deck will quickly overtake. You could also tech in some wide punish like Lacerate (or Trisscerate), as that gets nice value if you have last say and can deploy it against a melee row full of Shieldmaidens and other stuff (or use it to give you some reach in R1 if need be).

Do not understand why I see so many doing the “boost your opponent” challenge so difficult when Yennifer of Vengerburg exists

Yen is a Legendary and expensive to craft, and really only useful in a couple specific swarm deck archetypes that don't see much play in the current meta, so folks who don't have the scraps to spare will often do that quest with cheap bronzes like Froth, Swallow, Ale, etc. instead.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
That’s good advice, thank you. I’ve still got Wild Boar ptsd so I’ve still been trying to get a short r3 but I’m seeing more of the Queen deck with skellige now so just a matter of adjusting.

Switching to nilfgaard and the many shut down options available has made wild boar pretty trivial anyway

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Also I’m assuming trisserate is conjurer with lacerate?

Despite how often I’m playing I don’t know the terms and barely remember the names :saddowns: not because I’m too cool but an idiot, you see

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Triss: Telekinesis creating a lacerate.

Also, if tomorrow they don't announce Dagon is back I'll eat my hat. He was the most popular monster leader in closed beta, everybody was sad to see him go, and with all the fog in the countdown screen nobody else makes sense.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

rydiafan posted:

Triss: Telekinesis creating a lacerate.

Also, if tomorrow they don't announce Dagon is back I'll eat my hat. He was the most popular monster leader in closed beta, everybody was sad to see him go, and with all the fog in the countdown screen nobody else makes sense.

Speak for yourself; as a beta player, I can't even enjoy a lovely foggy morning because it just triggers my Weather Monsters PTSD...

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Gwent expansion previews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUXkQj2HV8w

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Me every month: well this is a stupid gimmick match

Smash cut to it being all I play and zeroing out the opps when I find an OP (for that moment) deck

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Interesting stuff. I hope the evolving cards are more than just glorified Veteran. I'd rather stuff that changes versus just gets stronger; kinda like cards with different row deploys. According to their website the first evolving card will be spoiled on the 6th, so we'll see then.

I like veil as a way to nerf poison without an actual change to poison.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea veil has me the most intrigued out of that set.

Shocked by how many players I’ve run into who purchased the pack already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Hah, Oneiromancy is literally a Royal Decree that can play any type of card (instead of just units) and recycles itself to the top of your deck at the start of the next round after you've used it. Double Ball/Gedy will become a hell of a lot easier to pull off, and Lippy decks will be consistent more often; you can just Oneiromancy your nasty scenario/unit out in R1 (or pull any other good card if you also drew it) and you're guaranteed to get Oneiromancy back to pull it again in R3 (barring Squirrel/Xavier or NG shenanigans, of course).

Edit: My NG Assimilate deck crammed full of nasty tactics and powerful special cards is just as much fun as I thought it'd be in the Season of Magic seasonal mode. In my first three games I've won with an empty opposing board in two, one of which was a 2-0 while a card down against another NG Assimilate deck. (Protip: If you're gonna play Seasonal, you gotta commit to the gimmick. You can't just cram a few more bronze specials into your bog standard meta deck and call it good. If every card you play isn't taking maximum advantage of the rules one way or another, you're losing out on a ton of value. I easily won every game I played against other NR decks with my extra-greedy Uprising deck in the Viper seasonal because they were all trying to go midrange with Draug or Maulers or Kiera and shite instead of just focusing on boosting the gently caress out of everything in sight and then dropping a Yrden for a finisher.)

dennyk fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 3, 2020