Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I did; it was one of the first VR games I played too! The dull, booming bass of explosions and weapons-fire nearly deafened by vacuum is top notch. Still, still loses to FS2 as capital-class spaceship beam weapons go, though: FS2's beams look and sound like the barely-restrained apocalyptic force that they are in game.

In other words

No argument, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
hm a 3D visual novel about an abusive gay relationship? sounds interesting, demo coming next week https://store.steampowered.com/app/1302050/Milky_Way_Prince__The_Vampire_Star/

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The thing missing from a lot of modern space/flight and hell, even driving games, is story.

FS2 is non stop story from beginning to end. Great cutscenes, great mission briefings, and when you're in mission it's an endless stream of mission-unique chatter over comms. It makes the game world seem alive.

So many games now give you a basic text-only description if the mission, nothing but random AI barks during the mission, and save story and cutscenes for later. It's all so barren and lifeless. Hell, even that recent Maneater shark game knew that you had to add a human touch by having Chris Parnell pipe up often as he narrates the game.
Yeah it's a lot of little things but this is a big one. Games like RG or darkstar one and stuff it's just sort of some milquetoast forgettable poo poo like o no my cousin is an outlaw and in trouble!! can you deliver these bear butts to free him? and everything just boring technobabble text descriptions of junk with an awful ui.

also voice acting in FS2 is just so good, i mean it's "cheap" but god drat if everyone doesn't give it their 110% and voice act that poo poo to hell and back which sells the game. i don't think i've ever played any just come even a fraction of how good FS2 did at the chaos and delivery. perhaps DIVE DIVE DIVE HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOT is a loving flash in the pan that isn't easily recreated, but nothing just comes even close nor even tries. all space games just feel so sterile and devoid of story and moments like that. when there is any, it's just really cheap and poorly mixed, "har har im a prirate surrender now!!! text <demand surrender> <bribe> <run> AAAAGGH~~"

yeah capital ships were also king in FS2 but part of that was just the chaos of the voice acting and everything else going along with it. it is somewhat disappointing that a 22 year old game hasn't even come close to being matched, but the good part is it's still extremely playable and many dedicated nerds have spent lots of time making amazing mods and HD graphic packs and it still looks, feels, controls, and play obscenely good in TYOOL 2020 and worth playing for anyone that hasn't.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Just imagine a Homeworld space game where you're exploring gigantic ancient shipwrecks on the scale of the HW2 Progenitor mothership.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Freespace 2 is the Ace Combat of space games.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I always liked the story in X wing Alliance where you try and strike a balance between joining and fighting for the Rebellion and helping the family shipping business.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The first space fighting game I ever played was Tie Fighter. I had never watched Star Wars at that point, so I always really proud of myself for getting more and more medals from that really nice Darth Vader person.

I wonder if I could still get that to run.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 1, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Blattdorf posted:

Space Combat

Cartoon Man posted:

I always liked the story in X wing Alliance where you try and strike a balance between joining and fighting for the Rebellion and helping the family shipping business.

It's not really a balance; the Empire shits all over your family right around "End Chapter 1" time.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It’s been a long time since I played it. I thought you joined the rebellion early on but then still got the occasional mission from your family as the game goes on.

I’ve got it on steam but haven’t played it. Does it work decent with an Xbox controller? I remember it had a ton of weird single use buttons like docking and undocking cargo, etc, not sure if a controller works as good as a flight stick and a keyboard.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Hwurmp posted:

Just imagine a Homeworld space game where you're exploring gigantic ancient shipwrecks on the scale of the HW2 Progenitor mothership.

not exactly what you're looking for but have you been keeping an eye on this?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1161580/Hardspace_Shipbreaker/

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Hwurmp posted:

It's not really a balance; the Empire shits all over your family right around "End Chapter 1" time.

I've never played X-Wing Alliance but your post made me realize something I'd never really given much thought to before. Over 30+ years of playing the vidya games I've lost countless family members, parents, childhood friends, entire small towns, etc. The Hero's Journey seems to always come at a high price in video game land.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's not really limited to video games.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1305310/Drox_Operative_2/

Drox Operative 2 is 13.49 $ go get it, go go go

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ha, looks like continuum: subspace. anyone remember that? good times. good times.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

not exactly what you're looking for but have you been keeping an eye on this?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1161580/Hardspace_Shipbreaker/

I have, I'm sure it's gonna own

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cowcaster posted:

ha, looks like continuum: subspace. anyone remember that? good times. good times.

My thoughts exactly, loved that game back in the day.

Also, Freespace 2 remains amongst my top 5 games ever and easily the king of the genre.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

They put that up onto Steam at some point.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Orv posted:

I'm pretty sure you played it but House of the Dying Sun heavily holds my top modern campaign space sim slot. Not perfect but the feel of that game is fantastic.

Perfect timing to mention this game- it just went 66 percent off as part of the weekly deals. Anyone who likes space sims at all, get this god drat game. It’s really short but truly fantastic. You’re a glass cannon and it makes it super thrilling to go in mere feet away from a capital ship on a gun run. The audio is great, the graphics are simple but have a great sense of design, and the background lore stuff is really neat.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I never really got all too into Freespace, though all of the total conversion mods are brilliant. Always been more of an X-Wing/TIE Fighter guy. Maybe I should give FS2 another shot, last time the game crashed during the bomber mission in the nebula and I never went back to it.

Regarding House of the Dying Sun, its short mission based structure just doesn’t work, especially with how few missions there are. Really wish they’d stuck to the roguelike-ish system raiding gameplay. It’s like MGSV in space - the best feeling gameplay that’s just not in the right shell.

HerpicleOmnicron5 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 1, 2020

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cardiovorax posted:

It's not really limited to video games.

That's true, but it's a slightly different vibe when you're dealing with a more immersive media form in which it's your parents/friends/hometowns getting wrecked.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Croccers posted:

They put that up onto Steam at some point.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/352700/Subspace_Continuum/
Yep, still free, still got players.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

DrNutt posted:

That's true, but it's a slightly different vibe when you're dealing with a more immersive media form in which it's your parents/friends/hometowns getting wrecked.
Huh, it tends to work the other way around for me. I find it easier to sympathize with a story that goes in-depth into the feelings and thoughts of the protagonist as they go through that experience. To them, in the story, it's horrible and I can empathize with that. To me, in the game, it's just a bunch of cardboard cutouts that I knew for all of five minutes and now that they're gone I can finally start having fun actually playing the game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cardiovorax posted:

Huh, it tends to work the other way around for me. I find it easier to sympathize with a story that goes in-depth into the feelings and thoughts of the protagonist as they go through that experience. To them, in the story, it's horrible and I can empathize with that. To me, in the game, it's just a bunch of cardboard cutouts that I knew for all of five minutes and now that they're gone I can finally start having fun actually playing the game.

I agree with you? Sorry if my original post wasn't as clear as I meant, I just thought it was funny to look back at 30 years of gaming and realize how many dead parents/destroyed hometowns I've left in my wake.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, I thought you were talking about how emotionally invested you get in that kind of thing when it's a game where the player character is effectively a stand-in for as opposed to for example written media. If that's not what you meant, then never mind. I just find it interesting to compare how this sort of thing works for different people.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Blattdorf posted:

I played through Ace Combat 7 and couldn't shake the feeling that the briefing sections and mission structures felt very familiar

Then I realized that Freespace was just Ace Combat in space

Orv
May 4, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Regarding House of the Dying Sun, its short mission based structure just doesn’t work, especially with how few missions there are. Really wish they’d stuck to the roguelike-ish system raiding gameplay. It’s like MGSV in space - the best feeling gameplay that’s just not in the right shell.

Extremely hard disagree.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

ZearothK posted:

Also, Freespace 2 remains amongst my top 5 games ever and easily the king of the genre.

Volition wanted to do Freespace 3, but it continues to be stuck in IP limbo from what I've heard. I wonder if someone somewhere will ever top that game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

House of the Dying Sun sounds neat, but the whole "14 scenario campaign" thing on the store page is really turning me off from it. A space sim is the kind of game that I think needs and benefits from an open world that you are free to explore more than any other kind of game. It doesn't feel like space if it isn't big and open.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Orv posted:

Extremely hard disagree.

I really like the short, hit and run missions. As you build your fleet up and get unlocks, replaying them on higher difficulties gets super satisfying and you go from squeaking by and frantically jumping out while the traitor flagship lights everything up to playing the same mission again, having it come in, and tearing it apart under capital ship fire and torpedo barrages. It rules.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

House of the Dying Sun sounds neat, but the whole "14 scenario campaign" thing on the store page is really turning me off from it. A space sim is the kind of game that I think needs and benefits from an open world that you are free to explore more than any other kind of game. It doesn't feel like space if it isn't big and open.

So X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Freespace, those are all what exactly?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

spacelites

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Perfect timing to mention this game- it just went 66 percent off as part of the weekly deals. Anyone who likes space sims at all, get this god drat game. It’s really short but truly fantastic. You’re a glass cannon and it makes it super thrilling to go in mere feet away from a capital ship on a gun run. The audio is great, the graphics are simple but have a great sense of design, and the background lore stuff is really neat.
How does it control? I've tried to get into Freespace via modern ports several times but the control scheme is rather daunting, so a lighter, more actiony space sim might be just the thing.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

How does it control? I've tried to get into Freespace via modern ports several times but the control scheme is rather daunting, so a lighter, more actiony space sim might be just the thing.

Rogue Squadron 3D is available but the port was janky for me.

Orv
May 4, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Left stick, fire, reload, weapon switch, target, next target, last target, accelerate, decelerate are the extent of your immediate controls and you have some very, very light squad command stuff going on with UI wheels.

It's made to be played on a controller and I'd recommend it if you use them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Orv posted:

So X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Freespace, those are all what exactly?
Space games of the sort that I wouldn't buy or play anymore these days, because I'm looking for a different kind of experience in those? Not sure what's difficult to understand about that.

VVV Get over it.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 1, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011
Jesus loving christ.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Kiwami 2 players: is the clan creator DLC worth 9 bucks?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Cardiovorax posted:

VVV Get over it.

Kinda sounds like you've got something to get over!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What I want right now, is a HOTAS and a spaceship game use for it, bonus points for VR, zero points for Elite:Dangerous (unless they've deepened the gameplay lake by now?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Orv posted:

Left stick, fire, reload, weapon switch, target, next target, last target, accelerate, decelerate are the extent of your immediate controls and you have some very, very light squad command stuff going on with UI wheels.

It's made to be played on a controller and I'd recommend it if you use them.

It’s incredibly intuitive, there’s a quick tutorial and then you’ll be all set to go. It never feels like the controls are in the way, so mastering how to flit in and out and get into the blind spots of guns is really satisfying.