Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008

Duct Tape posted:

Prime with Zandri Dust spray. Drybrush with Ushabti Bone. Wash with Agrax Earthshade. Light drybrush with Screaming Skull. Easy peasy.
Old quote reference is old but the recipe is good even for my terribleness. I need to use something darker in the parts where the surface rockcrete has broken off, but at least I could get something productive done while fuming at the state of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Booley posted:

I never said that. I said those armies aren't taking cheap troops purely for the CP.

Yeah, you did. :colbert:

Booley posted:

Knights and Chaos Knights can already get by without taking troops, Custodes can function pretty drat well with saggitarum guard as troops.

But we agree, then, that Knights in 8th require Troops. Cool.

Now, I would argue that Knights in 9th will probably be fine without Troops, maybe Souping in some models from other armies for more of a ground game, but that depends on how bad the penalties are for Soup in 9th. Knights need a lot of CP, so if getting some infantry hurts too much, we may very well see pure Knight lists without any Troops from any army.

Therefore, I stand by my assessment that both versions of Knights will end up being Troop-less.

Likewise, if the CP penalties are too bad, it will be equally likely that a pure Custodes army will skip having Troops in favor of their better units. This is more debatable, I agree, but I still think that will end up being the case.

Therefore, when asked which armies in 9th will do away with Troops, Knights and Custodes are at the top of my list.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Gunder posted:

Which armies wouldn't take troops if they didn't have to?

Booley posted:

Knights and Chaos Knights can already get by without taking troops, Custodes can function pretty drat well with saggitarum guard as troops.

Competitive tau lists are definitely taking breachers.

Booley posted:

I never said that. I said those armies aren't taking cheap troops purely for the CP.

Edit:

jng2058 posted:

:same:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

But we agree, then, that Knights in 8th require Troops. Cool.

Now, I would argue that Knights in 9th will probably be fine without Troops, maybe Souping in some models from other armies for more of a ground game, but that depends on how bad the penalties are for Soup in 9th. Knights need a lot of CP, so if getting some infantry hurts too much, we may very well see pure Knight lists without any Troops from any army.

Therefore, I stand by my assessment that both versions of Knights will end up being Troop-less.

Likewise, if the CP penalties are too bad, it will be equally likely that a pure Custodes army will skip having Troops in favor of their better units. This is more debatable, I agree, but I still think that will end up being the case.

Therefore, when asked which armies in 9th will do away with Troops, Knights and Custodes are at the top of my list.

You're right, I misspoke about knights. I stand by my statement about custodes. They were used in literally one successful list post lvo, and 40k stars doesn't have the pre-lvo stats available - but the most successful list was pure and running a battalion.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I'll admit i'm not as certain about the Custodes as I am the Knights. I'm basing it on personal experience where the only Custodes I ever saw in play were the Jetbikes and Shield Captains on Jetbikes which were everywhere for awhile, then vanished. So I concede it's possible that I'm underrating Custodes Troop choices. :shrug:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

I'll admit i'm not as certain about the Custodes as I am the Knights. I'm basing it on personal experience where the only Custodes I ever saw in play were the Jetbikes and Shield Captains on Jetbikes which were everywhere for awhile, then vanished. So I concede it's possible that I'm underrating Custodes Troop choices. :shrug:

They vanished because they were no longer particularly effective as the meta shifted. You saw 3x caladius for a while until they ate a nerf, but at this point (or at least as much of a this point as we can have) it was either a battalion or double battalion of troops leveraging their durability to get board control. Not a fantastic list, but had some success.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I was playing around with army painter strong tone and it seems much... stickier than in was expecting. I've had a model drying for half a day and it still feels 'wet.' I brushed it on, didn't dip or anything. I tried to water it down with some medium and other washes, but it doesn't mix as well as I would have thought. Is this normal?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I used the army painter dipping wash or whatever it is on my scenery and that felt stocky for ages after it dried, I'm not sure whether this went away or I just painted over it though. If the strong tone is less watered down then maybe the effect sticks (heh) around? I know my models that have been gloss varnished feel sticky for days after.

On the troops talk, the "well who wouldn't take troops right now?" talk is a bit pointless because it's not about who wouldn't take troops now, it's about who wouldn't take troops with all the stuff in 9th together. The missions will matter, the CP details matter, even stuff like morale and scenery will matter. The concern also isn't "what if armies take literally no troops what so ever?" it's "what if people basically take no troops?".

You know what was a lame Warhammer Fantasy list? The Karl Franz and two steam tanks list, which consisted of 3 cannons, two steam tanks, Karl Franz on a dragon, and two minimum sized units of spearmen you are obliged to take, who did nothing but sit on the two objectives you placed in opposite corners of the board thanks to how the missions worked. Even if there wasn't a tax you'd take the two cheap units of spearmen to fill that role, so saying "I think you'd choose troops anyway because they fill an important role in that list" doesn't address the fact it doesn't "feel" like an army and the troops are glorified objective markers.

If we end up seeing a situation where the rules and missions essentially mean lots of lists drop down to small cheap squads of troops they just use to sit on an objective at the back of the board and do nothing all game, that's dull in my view. Hopefully this sort of thing won't be what happens, but that's just what the concern is from a lot of people.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 1, 2020

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Back at its release warmachine had a pretty tight little skirmish system going. I think the rules changes for their first major revision (2.0) were well recieved. Somehow they still managed to mess their game up between rules revisions (and revising the rules too much).

GW has a ton of legacy baggage and I think even so they manage to do a passable job keeping the game interesting and fun. Still, tere's an awful lot of bloat, and it feels like despite bloat GW allows some obviously unbalanced things to exist in game quite some time before fixes.

Hearing all these different theories about the future of troops makes me nervous. I think it would be a shame to see them go away as the backbone of the army and I'm not convinced GW will find a way to include them elegantly in 9th. I think moving away from battalions as CP engines would be good to simplify the game though.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Somberbrero posted:

I was playing around with army painter strong tone and it seems much... stickier than in was expecting. I've had a model drying for half a day and it still feels 'wet.' I brushed it on, didn't dip or anything. I tried to water it down with some medium and other washes, but it doesn't mix as well as I would have thought. Is this normal?

It's really sticky. You have to seal it with some kind of varnish before that goes away in my experience.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/01/rise-of-the-skorpekh-destroyer/

We get a slight preview for the Skorpekh Destroyers. And I have to say the alternatives shown makes it look a lot better.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Those skellymen look banging.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/01/rise-of-the-skorpekh-destroyer/

We get a slight preview for the Skorpekh Destroyers. And I have to say the alternatives shown makes it look a lot better.

The profile for the blade they have is nuts, and they can have 2...

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
Finished a guy!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

OhDearGodNo posted:

The profile for the blade they have is nuts, and they can have 2...

I get the feeling the profile they showed were for the heavy 2-handed ones and the 1-handed ones you see on the second shot have different profiles.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Some more Goonhammer hobby posting: https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-hobby-round-up-may-2020-end-of-month/

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Contingency posted:

Finished a guy!

The detail work there is great! How did you do the basing?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Turns out I was wrong, this is the actual 9th ed post:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/01/new-40k-the-game-you-love-but-bettergw-homepage-post-1/
The battle round page shown off is very neatly designed and also spoils us about the new Command Phase.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

Turns out I was wrong, this is the actual 9th ed post:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/01/new-40k-the-game-you-love-but-bettergw-homepage-post-1/
The battle round page shown off is very neatly designed and also spoils us about the new Command Phase.

Yeah this is very interesting -

"The Command phase is a quick new addition to the turn sequence. In this phase, Battle-forged armies will acquire new Command points and spend the ones they have on certain Stratagems."

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Maybe detachment CP is moving to per turn regen instead of a set amount

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Improbable Lobster posted:

Maybe detachment CP is moving to per turn regen instead of a set amount

I hope it's like that but think it would be kinda nice if each points tier had a set amount of CP. So like 1k gets 5, 1.5k gets 7, 2k gets 10 or whatever actual numbers make sense.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Somberbrero posted:

The detail work there is great! How did you do the basing?

Thanks! These are the Sector Mechanicus bases, and the scheme is pretty close to the recommendations on the box.

Zandri Dust spray, light Agrax in grates, pick out pipes with metals and Mephiston Red/Caledor Sky/Warboss Green for cabling, tidy up grates with Zandri Dust and Nuln Oil on metals.
For the plate behind the foot, Skullcrusher Brass and Nuln Oil. I don't recall if I used Nuln Oil Gloss for this particular one or just didn't shake up regular Nuln Oil first.
Drybrush a light coat of Longbeard Grey and another of Wrack White over the planks and grating. There's a sweet spot for the grates where the less you drybrush, the grimier it looks. Finish off with a thin recess of Agrax where the planks meet the grates, and rivets/boltholes.
Clean up rim.

Here's a couple more awaiting a model--

You can see where I'm a little sloppy with the drybrushing, but I didn't clean it up as it helps contribute to the grimy look.

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

I've been playing Dawn of War II recently so it's cool to see blood ravens. Maybe Dawn of War IV will have primaris in it / be good?

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Psyber Spine posted:

I've been playing Dawn of War II recently so it's cool to see blood ravens. Maybe Dawn of War IV will have primaris in it / be good?

There was a short story in WD that left the door open for either way. One of the reserve company captains was cut off from Angelos and was given the primaris tech. There was a Primaris Chaplain skin DLC for Diomedes, so it doesn't seem like Relic is totally against the idea.

At this point, we'd be lucky to have a DoW IV. Turned out that alienating 80% of your playerbase with each sequel wasn't the best business model, and they admitted sales were in the tank for DoW 3, and enough to cancel any work on the expansion. They're chasing MS dollars now.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
A quick question, I bought three sets of the easy build intercessors on the cheap to practice some different painting techniques, and I don't know what to really do with them. So I thought it may be good to pair them up with three reivers and make little basic kill teams for when my friends and I play kill team, or sell them on ebay.

I realised it may be worth just buying the box of 10 reivers as I cant get the easy fit reivers that cheap, if I did that is it easy to make three sergeant looking models from the bits in the kit? Or am I just going to get a sergeant and 9 mooks?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Kitchner posted:

A quick question, I bought three sets of the easy build intercessors on the cheap to practice some different painting techniques, and I don't know what to really do with them. So I thought it may be good to pair them up with three reivers and make little basic kill teams for when my friends and I play kill team, or sell them on ebay.

I realised it may be worth just buying the box of 10 reivers as I cant get the easy fit reivers that cheap, if I did that is it easy to make three sergeant looking models from the bits in the kit? Or am I just going to get a sergeant and 9 mooks?

Yeah, you can easily build three sergeants out of the multibuild kit. The multibuild Reiver kit is two sets of two identical sprues, and it's got ten full-helmet Reiver helms, ten masks-but-no-hats Reiver helms (like the sergeant in the easy to build kit), and two pairs of no-helmet-at-all heads.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

The Command Phase looks like it's going to be good place to dump all those "At the start of the turn do x" rules/strategies that I always forget to do, which is nice.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Stephenls posted:

Yeah, you can easily build three sergeants out of the multibuild kit. The multibuild Reiver kit is two sets of two identical sprues, and it's got ten full-helmet Reiver helms, ten masks-but-no-hats Reiver helms (like the sergeant in the easy to build kit), and two pairs of no-helmet-at-all heads.

Awesome, cheers dude.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Getting really into base design. Did these Tech Sector ones next.

Next set will be done as urban ruins. Going to do another goonhammer article on the design process.

Buy my poo poo!

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/804400990/resin-bases-tech-sector

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

TKIY posted:

Getting really into base design. Did these Tech Sector ones next.

Next set will be done as urban ruins. Going to do another goonhammer article on the design process.

Buy my poo poo!

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/804400990/resin-bases-tech-sector

These are cool - I'd totally buy a "bundle" of the desert bases to go with the inevitable Necron/Marine 9th edition box if you made one that matched.

I guess Urban for the marines if you did that too!

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Two Headed Calf posted:

Mindstealer Sphiranx, Morghasts, and Ogroid Thaumaturges are the three big ones. Also if you need cheap feather wings reaper makes a cheap griffon model. I added them to my mindstealer here -

I know this is ancient now, but what size base is the Sphinx on? I'm hoping on using one as a demon prince

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Once we know the contents of the Necron side of the box set you better believe I'm getting some of those tomb world bases. You should link again here when that happens!

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

GW just opened a web shop with some impressively ugly merch

Yes, that is definitely the type of room that would hang in

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The AdMech polo shirt isn't bad though. But a lot of these are just way low effort designs with hardly any thought put into them.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I complained on facebook that there was no Alpha Legion merch until a friend pointed out that it's ALL Alpha Legion merch

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

These shirts are almost there, but why not just do simple logos? One of my favorite t-shirts for gaming is just the Iron Hands. Easy peasy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm surprised there's no GSC anything.

The AdMech laptop case just makes sense though.

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Hmm not sure I like this look. Obviously I know that it's important not to give too much symbolic weight to the fash, but I think 'red baseball cap with eagles and lightning bolts' is a little tainted atm.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Lol imagine wearing any of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The Pathfinder t-shirt is probably the only good Tau thing there.