Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you vote for in 2020?
This poll is closed.
Biden 425 18.06%
Trump 105 4.46%
whoever the Green Party runs 307 13.05%
GOOGLE RON PAUL 151 6.42%
Bernie Sanders 346 14.70%
Stalin 246 10.45%
Satan 300 12.75%
Nobody 202 8.58%
Jess Scarane 110 4.67%
mystery man Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party 61 2.59%
Dick Nixon 100 4.25%
Total: 2089 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

E: actually I don't give a poo poo anymore

MSDOS KAPITAL fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I don't think it's been posted yet, but here's a vox article attempting to summarize the different policy platform elements the biden campaign has run so far.

From the intro:

quote:

Former Vice President Joe Biden has never really sought or received a reputation as a deep thinker on domestic policy matters. His highest-profile role as a senator involved judicial confirmations and his time chairing the Foreign Relations Committee. As vice president, his best-known work was in the national security domain or as a personal emissary from the White House to Congress.

As a candidate in the 2020 primaries, his pitch was overwhelmingly about electability; his policy profile was defined primarily by the things he wouldn’t embrace. Left-wing journalists and activists criticized his opposition to sweeping proposals from Sen. Bernie Sanders like Medicare-for-all or the Green New Deal. Biden argued that the plans were implausible to make real and that he would take a more pragmatic approach — frustrating proponents of a “political revolution” or Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s “big structural change.”

That conflict between what the left wants and what Biden wouldn’t give them became the dominant narrative about him in the mainstream press. Biden was defined by the things he was against, rather than by the substantial overlap between his policy ideas and those of his progressive critics. Biden is a mainstream Democrat, and as the Democratic Party has grown broadly more progressive in recent years, he is now running on arguably the most progressive policy platform of any Democratic nominee in history.

It’s a detailed and aggressive agenda that includes doubling the minimum wage and tripling funding for schools with low-income students. He is proposing the most sweeping overhaul of immigration policy in a generation, the biggest pro-union push in three generations, and the most ambitious environmental agenda of all time.

If Democrats take back the Senate in the fall, Biden could make his agenda happen. A primary is about airing disagreements, but legislating is about building consensus. The Democratic Party largely agrees on a suite of big policy changes that would improve the lives of millions of Americans in meaningful ways. Biden has detailed, considered plans to put much of this agenda in place. But getting these plans done will be driven much more by the outcome of the congressional elections than his questioned ambition.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I don't think it's been posted yet, but here's a vox article attempting to summarize the different policy platform elements the biden campaign has run so far.

From the intro:

This article is a load of garbage that is clearly designed to be this year's version of "Hillary has the most progressive platform in history."

To cite perhaps the easiest example to me:

quote:

Biden says he’ll stop routinely yanking Temporary Protected Status from immigrants and try to go back to the Obama-era policy of “prioritizing” violent felons for deportation while otherwise relaxing interior enforcement.

The idea that Obama prioritized "violent felons" for deportation has been thoroughly debunked, several times. I am pretty sure it has been pointed out to Matthew Yglesias several times, And yet...

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
i do appreciate that intro, because that is a MASTERWORK of soft-peddling Joe Biden's fifty-year unbroken chain of horrors as far as domestic policy goes. think of all the wonderful things he's been for over his career! segregation of the races! giving cops total freedom to do whatever they want to suspected criminals! establishing financial services companies are fundamentally above the law! establishing that people's loans can't be wiped away in bankruptcy while businesses' can! building concentration camps for mexicans to try to win over moderate republicans!

the guy whose pitch to donors was Nothing Will Fundamentally Change, and whose primary campaign was explicitly about how expecting a better world was a childish fantasy, will -surely- make an abrupt u-turn on all those policies, yes?

Matt "Bangladeshis dying in factory collapses is okay, because it makes slacks cheaper" Yglesias posted:

Biden says he’ll stop routinely yanking Temporary Protected Status from immigrants and try to go back to the Obama-era policy of “prioritizing” violent felons for deportation while otherwise relaxing interior enforcement. At the same time, Biden doesn’t promise to decriminalize unauthorized entry into the United States and doesn’t want to abolish or “reorganize” ICE (he has, however, at least sometimes said he supports a temporary deportation moratorium).*

womp womp

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Discendo Vox posted:

From the intro:

Again I just have to point back at that rant post I did earlier where I talked about listening to what a candidate says/does rather than what a website or surrogate like Matty YG tries to come up with. Also good lord I'm getting deja vu from every election I've been alive for but especially 2016 with this absolute banger.

"Biden was defined by the things he was against, rather than by the substantial overlap between his policy ideas and those of his progressive critics. Biden is a mainstream Democrat, and as the Democratic Party has grown broadly more progressive in recent years, he is now running on arguably the most progressive policy platform of any Democratic nominee in history."

On a related note; Good loving lord help us. - https://twitter.com/BoKnowsNews/status/1267488711375228929?s=20

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Trabisnikof posted:

I don’t think this thread can be a place for details, in-depth, educational debate and discussion as long as you’re allowing people to spread hate speech through avatars.

The goal is to make it not worth putting effort into posting and it’s going to work. I don’t want to have to outspend someone just to be allowed to post in here without getting hate speech attached to my account.

What’s the loving point of citing IPCC reports on climate change if all I get is “you’re wrong” and a new pro-hate speech avatar.

I think we need a policy of avatar reversion, or lock the thread until Jeff finally gets that tracing system working, because this situation is as toxic as the last thread.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
seriously, take a look at this sentence.

(he has, however, at least sometimes, said he supports a temporary deportation moratorium).*

there are four layers of rear end-covering qualifier before we get to the subject, and then there's a 'temporary' and an asterisk to round the whole mess out. there is no way for a writer to more clearly communicate that the thing he is saying is horseshit, and he knows it is horseshit, but the column he is writing requires it to be true anyway.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Marxalot posted:

Again I just have to point back at that rant post I did earlier where I talked about listening to what a candidate says/does rather than what a website or surrogate like Matty YG tries to come up with. Also good lord I'm getting deja vu from every election I've been alive for but especially 2016 with this absolute banger.

"Biden was defined by the things he was against, rather than by the substantial overlap between his policy ideas and those of his progressive critics. Biden is a mainstream Democrat, and as the Democratic Party has grown broadly more progressive in recent years, he is now running on arguably the most progressive policy platform of any Democratic nominee in history."

On a related note; Good loving lord help us. - https://twitter.com/BoKnowsNews/status/1267488711375228929?s=20

I'm seeing this was a misquote FWIW

(Joe sucks etc.)

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
First let me say that I’m sorry about my last post, it was a bad post for this thread and I appreciate MPF’s mercy, and I apologize to anyone who got probated for feeling the need to respond to it.

Anyway, Joe Biden or Donald Trump will be the next president. I think the OP gently suggests that the thread acknowledges and respects this overwhelming probability. So if I’m asked to “defend Biden without mentioning Trump”, I’m not going to and I can’t. He has a long and lovely record on an impressively wide swathe of issues and proved with his finishes in IA, NH, and NV that he could be out-campaigned by Anthony Weiner on a coke binge with Hillary Clinton as his lead advisor.

But *look* at the difference in response to the riots between those two candidates. Biden has been a little mealy mouthed, and pretty irritatingly centrist, as he is in all things. But he called out police brutality. He called for Chauvin’s arrest. He called the protests “utterly American”.

Trump has called for shooting looters and this afternoon basically begged governors to open live fire on protests and put demonstrators in jail for 10 years.

Now I know some people think that things Joe Biden, a completely convictionless man, did in 1994 have more relevance in 2020 than things he said today. And I respect that perspective. But at some point a stylistic difference is so massive that it *becomes* a substantive difference.

Now, is Joe Biden saying these things because he’s not a racist poo poo like Trump is? Probably not, no. But he sounds different from Trump because he serves a different constituency and has no political advantage in pandering the country’s most right wing elements. This would absolutely be reflected in how he governs and it’s crazy to suggest otherwise.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 1, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
VP selection is a major consideration this time around. It was considered important for McCain as well, owing to his age and health concerns.

Trump is sticking with Pence, to no one's particular surprise.

Biden has a number of options. However, his math is much more challenging. He has promised it will be a woman, but it does need to be someone who would be fully qualified to take over if he were no longer able to serve as president. It's also a waste to spend the VP slot on someone unelectable as future president. Palin caused a lot of concern because it was obvious she should not be president.

Klobuchar is certainly out now that the riots are occurring, and Cortez Masto withdrew consideration.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Marxalot posted:

Presented with nationwide riots over the police brutalizing an unarmed man for no reason, Joe Biden proposes that police merely shoot to maim going forward.

Pure, crystalized essence of triangulation. Police can (accurately) call it a demand for them to put themselves in danger for no gain, and the people who Joe Biden is calling on police to maim if they feel threatened are not about to turn around and thank him.

Who the gently caress is this even supposed to appeal to?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mellow Seas posted:

First let me say that I’m sorry about my last post, it was a bad post for this thread and I appreciate MPF’s mercy, and I apologize to anyone who got probated for feeling the need to respond to it.

Anyway, Joe Biden or Donald Trump will be the next president. I think the OP gently suggests that the thread acknowledges and respects this overwhelming probability. So if I’m asked to “defend Biden without mentioning Trump”, I’m not going to and I can’t. He has a long and lovely record on an impressively wide swathe of issues and proved with his finishes in IA, NH, and NV that he could be out-campaigned by Anthony Weiner on a coke binge with Hillary Clinton as his lead advisor.

But *look* at the difference in response to the riots between those two candidates. Biden has been a little mealy mouthed, and pretty irritatingly centrist, as he is in all things. But he called out police brutality. He called for Chauvin’s arrest. He called the protests “utterly American”.

Trump has called for shooting looters and this afternoon basically begged governors to open live fire on protests and putting demonstrators in jail for 10 years.

Now I know some people think that things Joe Biden, a completely convictionless man, did in 1994 have more relevance in 2020 than things he said today. And I respect that perspective. But at some point a stylistic difference is so massive that it *becomes* a substantive difference.

Now, is Joe Biden saying these things because he’s not a racist poo poo like Trump is? Probably not, no. But he sounds different from Trump because he serves a different constituency and has no political advantage in pandering the country’s most right wing elements. This would absolutely be reflected in how he governs and it’s crazy to suggest otherwise.

He does sound different, and that's not nothing. Rhetoric from a president does matter to a degree. But talk is still cheap compared to action, particularly when you've got a long, troubling record of supporting a militarized, leashless, "warrior-mentality" police force. If Biden is going to continue to run on his experience in the Obama Administration, he's going to carry the baggage of that administration's policies towards policing. When you say Biden is better than Trump on this issue, can you honestly say that is the case to a degree that will be felt by anybody suffering directly from these policies right now?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

remember when every conservative poster in d&d was saying this was the solution to police shootings 6 years ago after Michael brown?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

Presented with nationwide riots over the police brutalizing an unarmed man for no reason, Joe Biden proposes that police merely shoot to maim going forward.

Pure, crystalized essence of triangulation. Police can (accurately) call it a demand for them to put themselves in danger for no gain, and the people who Joe Biden is calling on police to maim if they feel threatened are not about to turn around and thank him.

Who the gently caress is this even supposed to appeal to?

It's supposed to appeal to ghouls who are more concerned with the appearance of something being done, rather than it actually being dealt with.
Biden's biggest appeal to his supporters is that they can stop worrying about politics and enjoy their brunch in peace, because that vulgar orange man isn't tweeting from the White House anymore. They want to go back to where they could call themselves activists and pat themselves on the back because they shared a meme from Being Liberal on Facebook once and put a special filter over their profile picture when another black person gets murdered by the cops.

As far as his VP pick, I saw on a news ticker that he was eyeing early August before announcing his pick.
My money is still on Kamala. She's a woman of color, which ticks off the right demographic boxes, and she's a prosecutor, so they can try to have their cake and eat it too with her.
"She's a prosecutor, so she proves we're tough on crime, and the fact that she's a WoC is a fig leaf for us to hide behind when people try to point out inherent bullshit in the legal system."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

remember when every conservative poster in d&d was saying this was the solution to police shootings 6 years ago after Michael brown?

I remember it being divided between that and the ones that said limb shooting was stupid since most people aren't videogame characters and would obviously miss (so shooting center mass was preferable).

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Majorian posted:

He does sound different, and that's not nothing. Rhetoric from a president does matter to a degree. But talk is still cheap compared to action, particularly when you've got a long, troubling record of supporting a militarized, leashless, "warrior-mentality" police force. If Biden is going to continue to run on his experience in the Obama Administration, he's going to carry the baggage of that administration's policies towards policing. When you say Biden is better than Trump on this issue, can you honestly say that is the case to a degree that will be felt by anybody suffering directly from these policies right now?

Honesty, I can’t say for certain. If I had to bet I would guess that some would be helped, but only a very small minority of those who need protection from police*. There is, I think, a chance he could do better than that, given the right pressures from below. I don’t have to tell anyone here that this wave of activism is just starting, and even if Biden’s election calmed it temporarily it would be back sooner rather than later.

It’s a chance. Thanks to the actions of the Democratic Party (and yes, its primary electorate) a chance is all we have. It’s infuriating that we are here but I still think we should take that chance and do what we can with it.

* for a good Biden-related example of the kind of quasi-helpful half-measures we could expect, see the ACA.

E: Did Biden really advocate for shoot to maim recently? That’s embarrassing. I think anyone who carries a gun professionally will tell you that it’s not a real thing, and he hasn’t learned that in 77 years somehow?

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 1, 2020

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

CBS guy deleted his tweet but here's a clip

https://twitter.com/ProudSocialist/status/1267504043649187840

e: i'm looking for a longer clip on twitter but no dice so far

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 1, 2020

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Project Lincoln (that's Rick Wilson's group of Never Trump Republicans) has a new ad out that they're playing in swing states and in DC. Given the way that Trump freaked out about their last ad, he's probably going to be firing off some deranged tweets about this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w7kwtLJtVc&feature=youtu.be&app=desktop

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
e: that ad is some pro-tier trolling ^^^^^^

:ughh:

I'm continually astonished at just how amazing Joe Biden is at putting his foot wholly into his mouth. Ah well, this is the timeline we're in. I expect him to govern much better than he speaks.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
tweet was removed by Erickson, original quote as per the linked video was "an- an armed person comin' at 'em with a knife or something".

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mellow Seas posted:

Honesty, I can’t say for certain. If I had to bet I would guess that some would be helped, but only a very small minority of those who need protection from police. There is, I think, a chance he could do better than that, given the right pressures from below. I don’t have to tell anyone here that this wave of activism is just starting, and even if Biden’s election calmed it temporarily it would be back sooner rather than later.

It’s a chance. Thanks to the actions of the Democratic Party (and yes, its primary electorate) a chance is all we have. It’s infuriating that we are here but I still think we should take that chance and do what we can with it.

And I don't begrudge you coming to that conclusion. I'm not here to convince anyone to vote one way or another (or not vote). But even if you're going to support Biden, it doesn't do him or his campaign any good to ignore or underplay his weaknesses and the genuinely awful things he's done throughout his career. 2016 proved the converse of the "sunlight is the best disinfectant" maxim - refusing to address bad things just lets them fester in darkness until they metastasize and become too big to ignore.

How are u posted:

:ughh:

I'm continually astonished at just how amazing Joe Biden is at putting his foot wholly into his mouth. Ah well, this is the timeline we're in. I expect him to govern much better than he speaks.

Why do you expect him to govern better than he speaks?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That's horrible trigger discipline and is incorrect to advocate in any way, but that is a misquote because he said "an armed man", as a clarification.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

tweet was removed by Erickson, original quote as per the linked video was "an- an armed person comin' at 'em with a knife or something".

i dunno i hear "unarmed" which doesn't make sense (given the knife) but his brain is mush

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
He's definitely saying "an unarmed person coming at em with a knife or something."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i dunno i hear "unarmed" which doesn't make sense but his brain is mush

He said "with a knife" so contextually it must be "armed" because he is describing a person with a weapon.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Pick posted:

He said "with a knife" so contextually it must be "armed" because he is describing a person with a weapon.

yeah i slipped in an edit saying as much

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Majorian posted:

And I don't begrudge you coming to that conclusion. I'm not here to convince anyone to vote one way or another (or not vote). But even if you're going to support Biden, it doesn't do him or his campaign any good to ignore or underplay his weaknesses and the genuinely awful things he's done throughout his career. 2016 proved the converse of the "sunlight is the best disinfectant" maxim - refusing to address bad things just lets them fester in darkness until they metastasize and become too big to ignore.

Yes, if/when Biden gets into office I hope he is viewed by the left and its allies as an adversary, and somebody whose first instincts will always be wrong. It would be a really bad sign if he became a Cool Dad icon like Obama, or if his Diamond Joe Onion persona became popular again, and people were conditioned to see him as a Cool Grandpa standing up to those mean Republicans who cause all of our problems, when he is really very much not that.

Good chat. New thread rules are working already :v:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

sean10mm posted:

I'm seeing this was a misquote FWIW

(Joe sucks etc.)

Thanks for mentioning this - I went looking and was able to find the actual words, with a video and everything:
https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1267500214815985665

Of course, it's not like "unarmed person with a knife" makes any goddamn sense, except when police shoot an unarmed person and lie by saying they thought they saw a weapon.

But I severely doubt Biden is trying to allude to that, given that it doesn't seem like his story is overall about how police tend to lie and cover up to protect themselves from consequences. I think it's far more likely that Biden's playing into a common white boomerism - assuming that "unarmed" means "doesn't have a gun" rather than "is completely harmless", because it gets a lot harder to rationalize police shootings if you take the "officer was just defending themselves, they had no choice but to shoot" narrative off the table.

It makes sense from the perspective of an old powerful white dude who, best-case scenario, is too naive to understand the abusive potential inherent in the role of police. But it's a stance that's badly out of touch with the black communities he's made the centerpiece of his electoral strategy, who know very well that the police shootings they're worried about aren't self-defense scenarios where the poor helpless cops are defending themselves from an unarmed black person.

Will this be the final piece that shatters Biden's black support once and for all? Personally, I doubt it. But then again, I also didn't think we'd suddenly see riots of this magnitude in 2020 after years of Black Lives Matter being marginalized and lip-serviced with no particular blowback. All I can say for sure is that there's a lot of people who care enough about police shootings right now to go out and put themselves at risk to go protest this stuff, and low voter enthusiasm is Biden's weak point, so every tone-deaf or straight-up ignorant comment risks alienating a lot of people who care a lot more about Michael Floyd than they do about Joe Biden. Though with Trump pretty much openly egging the cops on at this point, "at least I'm not Trump" remains a powerful and unpredictable weapon in Biden's toolbox.

Or maybe he actually meant "armed", and only said "unarmed" by accident because his brain is potato salad. Even in that case, though, talking about cops shooting armed people doesn't seem to have much relevance to the kind of stuff everyone's pissed about right now.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pick posted:

It seems to me like he said "unarmed," realized how stupid this comment was, and then lamely backpedaled. Also this wasn't a statement he had to make at all. "Don't shoot to kill - shoot to maim!" is not the sentiment that the likely Democratic nominee needs to be expressing amidst these riots.

e: lol, and cripes, he said this in a loving church.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 1, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

the_steve posted:

As far as his VP pick, I saw on a news ticker that he was eyeing early August before announcing his pick.
My money is still on Kamala. She's a woman of color, which ticks off the right demographic boxes, and she's a prosecutor, so they can try to have their cake and eat it too with her.
"She's a prosecutor, so she proves we're tough on crime, and the fact that she's a WoC is a fig leaf for us to hide behind when people try to point out inherent bullshit in the legal system."

I do think this is quite likely as well. I think it is much more likely if Whitmer's support evaporates based on her handling of things in Michigan, but that's still up in the air. Kamala seems like the runner-up for any leading VP choice who flubs.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Biden sucks

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Majorian posted:

It seems to me like he said "unarmed," realized how stupid this comment was, and then lamely backpedaled. Also this wasn't a statement he had to make at all. "Don't shoot to kill - shoot to maim!" is not the sentiment that the likely Democratic nominee needs to be expressing amidst these riots.

No, and as I said, that sentiment is flatly irresponsible. You only point your gun if you intend to shoot, you only shoot if you intend to kill.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Mellow Seas posted:

Well, not quite. He said that peaceful protests are "utterly American." He immediately followed that up by saying violence is universally wrong, the unspoken assertion being that violence is un-American (lol at that idea), and basically pleaded for the protests to be toothless so they could get immediately memory-holed like Occupy and Ferguson.

It's the same platitudes we've been getting from the End of History crowd for decades, and it's the same sentiment that has led to this moment. "Please protest in a way that doesn't make me upset or uncomfortable" is, imo, worse than what Trump is saying because at least Trump isn't hiding his disdain behind six layers of obsfucation. We need leaders who, upon seeing violent protest, seek to address the root causes that resulted in violence, but Biden promises to be another in a long line of politicians who thinks the protestors being violent IS the problem, and he's addressed this in the past by seeking to militarize the police. I don't see why he would approach it any differently now, even if his language is slightly more progressive. Well, when he's not publicly questioning his critic's level of blackness, anyways.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

quote:

Both parties are largely happy with the current state of policing when it comes time to find the money for prisons, military hardware, and expanded budgets for police departments.

The mess of different levels of government makes it hard for me to judge anything at a larger scale what with every freaking county seemingly having its own police forces with state and federal levels on top of it. It seems to be universal enough not to matter either way so I don't argue you on that, practically all these cases happen in urban centers.

However when it comes to national voting record in criminal justice and civil rights, I think it is quite easy to see the difference between the two parties, since they are much closely followed by resources like this:

https://progressivepunch.org/scores.htm?x=25&y=6&house=house&party=&sort=crucial-lifetime&order=down

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/report-cards/2018/house/ideology

And I believe that shows more then clearly whuch party drives and actually attempts to better its situation, even if it has an old guard that still is all about the war on drugs and tough on crime.

quote:

They both *love* being Tough On Crime and they're also both generally absolutely abysmal when it comes to having a record of holding murderous cops accountable. See: All the Good Blue Cities with Good Blue Mayors in Good Blue States that are on loving fire right now. This is the product of a bipartisan consensus across the nation.

I would say that it is a legacy of centuries of such bipartisan efforts, which I don't deny. However I completely disagree that the both sides exhibit a similar lack of desire to change the legacy in both their rhetoric and actual legislative efforts as well as the positions of the candidates for the executive.

https://theintercept.com/2018/03/20/larry-krasner-philadelphia-da/

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/20/us/politics/criminal-justice-reform-sanders-warren.html

https://www.themarshallproject.org/2019/10/10/2020-the-democrats-on-criminal-justice

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/analysis-opinion/four-ways-obama-administration-has-advanced-criminal-justice-reform

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-reaches-agreement-city-baltimore-reform-police-department-s

https://reason.com/2015/12/31/5-cities-where-police-reform-efforts-wil/

This in particular seems to relate to what you said in the previous quote:

https://www.aclu.org/blog/criminal-law-reform/reforming-police/trump-just-gave-thousands-bayonets-and-hundreds-grenade

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.go...nt-acquisition.

It seems to me that one party is 100% happy with the state of things, and the other party is well - a considerable amount less happy with it, and has driven actual legislative change or attempts at legislative change that were then stymied by the Senate a national level. And while you are correct that Democratic led cities see police brutality, it also seems to me that only Democratic led cities see or have seen any attempts, successful or not, in police reform.

So again, at least on a national level I think the parties are night and day as things stand in 2020. And if things are worse on local level, the sole local efforts in police reform out of the two parties (and considering U.S's political demographics probably most of all efforts regardless - though considering U.S. political ambivalence I don't know if independents outnumber others together) so that is a marked difference as well.

And in all honesty, police reform is such a new thing in American cultural landscape that I don't think it was exactly realistic to expect everything to be fixed under one Democratic President (Clinton was still in the era of tough on crime and most people were pro that too). I mean you have literally three centuries of institutional law enforcement baggage to get rid of.

As a sidenote - Researching anything beyond national level was incredibly hard. I never entirely realized how insanely fragmented U.S. law enforcement is. In Minnesota alone there are about 30+ separate departments, then road patrol, sheriffs, U.S. Marshals, and then of course all the Federal agencies beyond that. In my country, about the size of Minnesota we have...one department. With same standards and centralized authority and oversight.

Honestly, any reform should include tearing down all those little good old boy cop fiefdoms.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
Presented with nationwide riots over police brutality, Joe Biden proposes training police to shoot to maim when they feel threatened, instead of to kill.

This constitutes the limit of positive change that can be imagined. These are the bounds of possibility. The Democratic Party's presumptive nominee for President might, potentially, ask police to do something that they will not do, and could not do even if they were inclined to try, and that was totally unrelated to the 'inappropriate' death that set this whole thing off anyway.

That's it. That's all he's got. That's the legacy of hope and change. That's the man the democratic party was willing to sacrifice both its own voters and any pretense they'd ever cared about sexual assaults in order to get in the big seat.

The country is burning, and he proposes cops do this One Wierd Trick (Knifehavers Hate Him!) he saw in a movie once.

don't think we're headed out of the Cool Zone any time soon, boys and girls.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I honestly don't know why Biden doesn't just hide and coast on his 10 point or whatever lead until after November.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

Will this be the final piece that shatters Biden's black support once and for all? Personally, I doubt it.

Probably not as a whole, no. But as we've established, one of the big things that killed Hillary's chances in 2016 was a sharp dropoff in support among black, Latino, and other POC voter groups in key states, compared to 2012. Stuff like this suggests that he really hasn't learned the big lessons of 2016, and probably isn't going to.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Main Paineframe posted:

Will this be the final piece that shatters Biden's black support once and for all? Personally, I doubt it.

I think 2016 strongly suggested we are in a post-gaffe world. There is unlikely to ever be another Dean Scream. I don't think this is unique to Donald Trump, and I think this happened for a few reasons that aren't inherently political.

I think two factors are especially important: first of all, people are increasingly aware that they are taped and the things that they say might be recorded. I do think there has been blowback at the idea that you should be expected to be fully gaffe-free, because I think people increasingly realize that everyone says a few things that could be taken out of context and misused.

Secondly, I think distrust in the media is actually a important dimension here. People do not trust that the media takes snippets in context. One reason that this is happened is that the media has consistently taken comments out of context, and it has now become an established and recognizable pattern. People are tired of seeing "damning comments", and then 45 minutes later getting the story that corrects the other story that makes it clear that it was a nothingburger. It's patently cheap and obnoxious on the part of news coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Radish posted:

I honestly don't know why Biden doesn't just hide and coast on his 10 point or whatever lead until after November.

I mean, he says some stuff sometimes, with varying degrees of success, but I think that's been pretty much what the plan for his campaign has been since Super Tuesday, and coronavirus made it way more practical for him to do so. He's not going to do anything positive on the campaign trail that offsets the 10-15 "You ain't black" level gaffe nightmares we're going to get over the next five months. I think he's been a little more active this week because it's a pivotal moment in American history and he would pretty dumb if he said nothing, but this has to be weighed against the fact that he also usually looks dumb when he says something.