Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
has there been any progress on antibody tests for those of us who suspect we've had it but would like confirmation before relaxing lockdown? seems like that might be a good thing for a government to have plenty of right about now

:sigh: well it was worth a try

e: Sausage has taken up cat yoga during the lockdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Julio Cruz posted:

has there been any progress on antibody tests for those of us who suspect we've had it but would like confirmation before relaxing lockdown? seems like that might be a good thing for a government to have plenty of right about now

:sigh: well it was worth a try

e: Sausage has taken up cat yoga during the lockdown

I think they bunged 40,000 on their test numbers so they could say they hit 200,000 a day, but they might be prioritising them for nhs staff? One of my friends mentioned that his brother (hospital pharmacist) is getting one.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol ffs that andy ngo got to write for the spectator

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1267478079582208001?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I think there is a comma missing there, a last resort, (such as) where index crimes have been committed.
I mean saying that, there has been some good work incorporating those alternative methods into existing justice systems even for very serious crimes.

Here's the South African conception of what that could look like, and here's a very serious case of the murder of a youth in S. v. Maluleke where a judge combines elements of retributive justice with elements of restorative justice and considers the balance for the community good.

Police still made the arrest, and traditional courtroom affairs still led to the publication of that, but it's an interesting and seemingly positive direction.

So it's not a case for throwing all police/state courts/prisons in the bin immediately and seeing what happens in its place, but building alongside and inside of that, although I'm suspicious of the likelihood of British judges deciding to take that leap without being poked, and lol at that ever happening with elected US judges.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Restorative justice is a great idea, and when it's been used in this country it has overwhelming satisfaction rates, but it only works if everyone involved is prepared to cooperate with it. The South African example works specifically because there's an old and respected restorative tradition that everyone involved is buying into. Without that, it's always going to be only situationally useful.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's true, but also because it was a literal fascist murder state until the mid-90s, and after that point people were willing to throw anything at the wall to see if it worked.

But despite being high by Western standards, it appears at least some of these (probably mostly no-longer being a literal fascist murder state, but I have hopes for the other things) are working.

But it has, as was noted in the case paper, worked in Canada and Australia as well. Mainly in getting justice for communities that weren't well served by the predominant idea of justice, but that's what started this whole thing with George Floyd and Breonna Taylor and the tasering of Judah Adunbi.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Limmy's gone too far this time

https://twitter.com/HudMo/status/1266926534041853954

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/duttypotus/status/1267061450494799872

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/inzyrashid/status/1267563875253260288

loving hell.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
My hopes of restorative justice getting a look in for the UK in the distant future have risen

Guavanaut posted:

because it was a literal fascist murder state

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

I'm genuinely surprised they even made the distinction and didn't go full on using the larpers as a scapegoat tbh.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Seems Trump is planning to send the military in against protestors. The tweets are a bit confusing so not sharing a link, but quite a lot on twitter. I didn't listen to the Trump Rose Garden speak so maybe it's in that.

Hope they do what the Egyptian tank drivers did in the revolution - when surrounding Tahrir Square they were ordered by the top brass to fire on the protestors (approx half a million in Tahrir Sq) and they refused (apparently the conscripts in the tanks phoned their fathers from their tanks for advice and their fathers said 'you do not fire on your own countrymen'.)

(I have to say that I don't think this would happen now, they'd probably fire in fear of reprisals if they didn't).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think the Posse Comitatus Act bans him from doing that. Which isn't to say he won't do something equally dumb, but someone might step in the way of him doing literally that.

e: Or in the words of Tom Lehrer
To the shores of Tripoli,
But not to Mississippoli,
What do we do? We send the Marines!

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 2, 2020

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Public service announcement: it is not okay to call the cops in response to petty crimes,* because all they will do is (a)nothing (best case), (b)just go harass some innocent minorities on your behalf, or (c)find the offender, ruin their lives, ruin their family's lives, then have them come out the other side an even worse offender owing to our lovely loving criminal justice system.

Imagine thinking we have a working criminal justice system. Imagine.

*unless you need an incident number for your insurance or something, that's not on you. Or the crime is ongoing and you're not safe, but uhh good luck if you expect police to help

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I mean finally. Guetta speaks for us all.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Now I'm thinking Trump might try and take out the internet. Given the proportion (high but I don't know what) of websites hosted on US-based servers that will cause global chaos.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think if he tried that he might actually get couped, the money really would not like that.

Besides the army has plenty of jammers that can knock out wireless communications across a city if it needs to.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I think if he tried that he might actually get couped, the money really would not like that.

Besides the army has plenty of jammers that can knock out wireless communications across a city if it needs to.

When they stopped the internet in Egypt, the stock market and a few other bits still had internet because they're not on the same links as we plebs.
We were out for almost a week and no mobile phones/texts (except local call only landlines for once the landlines didn't break - but most people didn't have those). As you can imagine everything was rumour and the fear levels were palpable.
On the tv, state tv showed an empty Tahrir but Al Jaz showed a full up Tahrir sq at the same time. One of the other Middle Eastern tv broadcasters had a split screen showing images from the different channels - compare and contrast.

I'm feeling a bit sick getting flashbacks. Got a few friends in the US who were in Egypt during the revolution who are too.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 2, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A lot of the US's economy is reliant on the commercial internet though, so it's not just stuff like the stock market.

If anything leaving the stock market turned on and switching off the basis of all the companies trading on it might be even worse :v:

Like literally destroying the US tech market. Lot of big money tied up in that.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Trump will most likely do the dumbest possible thing, so...

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Now I'm thinking Trump might try and take out the internet. Given the proportion (high but I don't know what) of websites hosted on US-based servers that will cause global chaos.

I'm not sure that would ever occur to him. Twitter is his lifeblood.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Kennel posted:

Trump will most likely do the dumbest possible thing, so...

yeah, even if this could be defused by the president, and even if trump were competent enough to do it, he is not capable of backing down from a confrontation

not sure more police brutality is going to bring an end to the anti-police brutality protests, unless they start actually massacring people

with the pandemic, economic collapse and massive unemployment I can't see people spontaneously getting any less angry any time soon

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jose posted:

lol ffs that andy ngo got to write for the spectator

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1267478079582208001?s=20

i don't suppose you folks could keep him

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

California gonna finally get the seccession it's been begging for by virtue of not following the presidents orders to gun down civilians

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/mboorstein/status/1267607428293636096?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

The comments under that!

Hodge not happy with the government she played a major part in getting elected:

https://twitter.com/margarethodge/status/1267459620399984641?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 2, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The comments under that!

https://twitter.com/LizForCongress/status/1267609530231291906?s=20

Tory by name, Tory by nature

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

A lot of the US's economy is reliant on the commercial internet though, so it's not just stuff like the stock market.

If anything leaving the stock market turned on and switching off the basis of all the companies trading on it might be even worse :v:

Like literally destroying the US tech market. Lot of big money tied up in that.

Not just the tech market. Walmart is doing an absolute ton of business at the moment with online ordering for pickup outside stores. The only way restaurants are staying afloat at the moment is through delivery apps like postmates and doordash. The majority of office workers at every big company (not just the tech giants, think insurance company call centers etc) are working remotely. Even the energy companies are working from home. There's no way Trump both fucks with that and survives.

blunt fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 2, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mm, the only way out I see is giving into the demands honestly. The scale of damage he'd need to do to get on top of it is probably beyond the US's ability to cope with and the longer it goes on the more people are gonna side with the protestors against the literal stormtroopers shooting people indiscriminately, I think.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

But how do you get there from here? Train up entire new forces then just replace the existing ones? I can't imagine anything getting better for *anyone* in that interim period. Maybe it's just a failure of imagination on my part but I can't see anything (absent a large-scale civil war, or some other massive upheaval to society) that lets you rip apart and remake the system without consequences similar to the fallout from a civil war, at least in the short term.

(Comedy option - if we're insisting on getting technology involved in everything, how about instead of cameras, make all cops wear AR goggles that turn everyone into the pastiest of WASPs)

Extremely difficult. It has to be top-down reform, similar to how other countries have had success tackling corruption. You would need to replace multiple levels of management, probably including local politicians. Embark on a major programme of recruiting ethnic minority officers. Institute psychological screening for new recruits. Overhaul police training, with a focus on de-escalation and community engagement, and make it much, much longer. De-militarise departments, ditching the scary black uniforms and armoured vehicles and reserve heavy weapons for a select, highly-trained few. Scared cops are dangerous cops, so spend plenty on officer safety but do it the correct way: top-of-the-line body armour, an effective partner system, and large enough departments that backup is rapidly available. Bodycams at all times that can't be disabled. Make sure cops are paid well and feel valued in their jobs. Use some of your new officers to set up an effective internal investigations department. Make it easy for cops who don't want to work under your new system to leave, with early retirement and generous pensions.

Honestly there's so much you can do, but a lot of stuff isn't effective unless it's done together and there's just no political will.

The posts you and Guava made are also good. You do need functioning social services and healthcare to take that sort of pressure off the police, and to prevent the line becoming blurred between "criminal trying to hurt you" and "mentally ill person in need of help" or even "homeless person trying to exist". There's also a lot of truth to the idea that if you dress someone in a balaclava and tactical gear you reduce their humanity, both to outside viewers and in their own perception. It's a lot easier to be violent if you're viewing the world through a gas mask and know you can't be identified, so ditching that and going for protective but non-threatening uniforms with no face coverings allowed would be a top priority of mine.

AutismVaccine posted:

Thats the most tinfoily thing i read here for a while.

Wth, we people in Europe mostly really cant complain about the police. If there is a problem you dont want to solve with violence yourself or need documentation about something, you call them. I pay taxes, so i use this service.

If someone gets stabbed/is in the process of being beaten i'll call the police. If I need a crime number to claim on my insurance i'll make a report to them.

What I'm getting at is that reporting petty crimes in progress, or calling the police to try and protect someone's welfare (like the aforementioned mentally ill person) needs to be taken really seriously. People have been killed by the very police officers someone called to make sure they were OK. People have been killed in police chases over a snatched handbag. Not all problems you can call the police about are worth risking the kind of escalation that might result.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

OwlFancier posted:

Mm, the only way out I see is giving into the demands honestly. The scale of damage he'd need to do to get on top of it is probably beyond the US's ability to cope with and the longer it goes on the more people are gonna side with the protestors against the literal stormtroopers shooting people indiscriminately, I think.

That would indeed be the rational solution. However,

zhar
May 3, 2019

hey jabby i self diagnosed myself with allergic contact dermatitis maybe from using a mouthwash my lips (mainly the bottom one) has swollen massively 2 hrs ago but so far that is the only symptom other than the bit under the tongue being slightly swollen and the front of my tongue too. as it has been a couple of hours should I be ok or should I be worried about anaphylaxis?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

zhar posted:

hey jabby i self diagnosed myself with allergic contact dermatitis maybe from using a mouthwash my lips (mainly the bottom one) has swollen massively 2 hrs ago but so far that is the only symptom other than the bit under the tongue being slightly swollen and the front of my tongue too. as it has been a couple of hours should I be ok or should I be worried about anaphylaxis?

Unfortunately I can't give you personal medical advice over the internet, but I can say that anaphylaxis usually develops and progresses quickly, so if other symptoms haven't developed in a few hours they're unlikely to appear. If someone had a history of anaphylaxis I might be more concerned, but most mild allergic reactions can be treated with over-the-counter antihistamines. I'd definitely seek medical advice for symptoms like chest tightness, difficulty breathing, difficulty swallowing, or dizziness/lightheadedness however.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/bad_takes/status/1267594813710446593

zhar
May 3, 2019

jabby posted:

Unfortunately I can't give you personal medical advice over the internet, but I can say that anaphylaxis usually develops and progresses quickly, so if other symptoms haven't developed in a few hours they're unlikely to appear. If someone had a history of anaphylaxis I might be more concerned, but most mild allergic reactions can be treated with over-the-counter antihistamines. I'd definitely seek medical advice for symptoms like chest tightness, difficulty breathing, difficulty swallowing, or dizziness/lightheadedness however.

much appreciated, I'm sure it gets annoying having random people request medical advice but as you might imagine I was a little worried. My main question now is that if it does turn into anaphylaxis would someone wake up if they were asleep, or is it worth staying awake to see what happens?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

zhar posted:

much appreciated, I'm sure it gets annoying having random people request medical advice but as you might imagine I was a little worried. My main question now is that if it does turn into anaphylaxis would someone wake up if they were asleep, or is it worth staying awake to see what happens?

111 my dude.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

zhar posted:

I honestly couldn't say any more without knowing your medical history and examining you. Delayed anaphylaxis is unlikely, especially if you have no history of severe allergies, but if you need more reassurance 111 is a good idea.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if there is a market for a set of runestones with medical terminology on them that doctors can use when people ask for remote medical advice.

Like I cannot legally give you advice but I can cast the runes and tell you what they say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zhar
May 3, 2019

Thanks again, there’s an epi pen in the house anyway just in case (not mine). 111 advice seems to be its a 999 emergency in any case where the lips swell rapidly, but I’m not sure I agree in this case as it seems much more likely that it’s swelling simply because it was in contact with the alleged allergen.