Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Platystemon posted:

Mds2, your son will probably be fine.

Everyone else, please don’t willingly expose your children to the virus with the idea that they’re invincible. They’re not. They are less imperilled than grandma is, but do you really want your kid to be the guinea pig for this exciting new disease?

Keeping children away from interaction with other children for too long will harm the children certainly.

Most of them have not yet degenerated into goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

is this over with yet???

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

numberoneposter posted:

is this over with yet???

Yeah, didn't you know Coronavirus ceases to exist the second we hit June 1st?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

oh good :)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
No the protests are bigger news so the coronavirus is gone.

I went to the gas station today and there were zero people wearing masks.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

bunch of idiots

don't they know they're all already DEAD

sounds nice

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

13Pandora13 posted:

Don't take this the wrong way but this is incorrect in a pretty dangerous way and I really hope you're not saying this to other parents in your life. While children are in the least likely group to be hospitalized for breathing difficulties there are a number of unique ways COVID-19 presents in pediatric cases and parents should absolutely be vigilant about keeping their kids from getting it if at all possible. We have absolutely no way of knowing at this point what the long term ramifications of this illness is on development, especially with mounting evidence of vascular and neurological effects.

https://www.cureus.com/articles/32076-a-review-of-neurological-complications-of-covid-19
https://www.uptodate.com/contents/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-considerations-in-children
https://newsroom.heart.org/news/kid...very-infrequent
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7180343/
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30980-6/fulltext

Ok. I've literally only said it right here in this thread so no harm done, thank you for your post. I'll leave medical comments to those in the field.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

13Pandora13 posted:

Don't take this the wrong way but this is incorrect in a pretty dangerous way and I really hope you're not saying this to other parents in your life. While children are in the least likely group to be hospitalized for breathing difficulties there are a number of unique ways COVID-19 presents in pediatric cases and parents should absolutely be vigilant about keeping their kids from getting it if at all possible. We have absolutely no way of knowing at this point what the long term ramifications of this illness is on development, especially with mounting evidence of vascular and neurological effects.

https://www.cureus.com/articles/32076-a-review-of-neurological-complications-of-covid-19
https://www.uptodate.com/contents/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-considerations-in-children
https://newsroom.heart.org/news/kid...very-infrequent
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7180343/
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30980-6/fulltext
Seperately, since you seem well informed I have a question/comment I've never asked or seen asked anywhere. My tentative understanding is that inhalation thru the nose perhaps causes worse illness. (In sum, for sake of discussion) Also perhaps lungs perhaps gives better chance of fighting the infection?

My point is I've wondered why nose plugs aren't a ppe, specifically the soft kind that go in ears, but designed for nostrils. If only the mouth has to be covered because nostrils are plugged then that mouth mask could provide a FAR better seal.

Seems that only having one respitory entryway to the head rather than 3 would be a good thing.

?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Spinz posted:

Seperately, since you seem well informed I have a question/comment I've never asked or seen asked anywhere. My tentative understanding is that inhalation thru the nose perhaps causes worse illness. (In sum, for sake of discussion) Also perhaps lungs perhaps gives better chance of fighting the infection?

My point is I've wondered why nose plugs aren't a ppe, specifically the soft kind that go in ears, but designed for nostrils. If only the mouth has to be covered because nostrils are plugged then that mouth mask could provide a FAR better seal.

Seems that only having one respitory entryway to the head rather than 3 would be a good thing.

?

Not a doctor, but I imagine it's just because of how difficult it already is to breathe with a mask, let alone with your sinuses completely filled, this is my assumption anyways

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I went to the gas station today and there were zero people wearing masks.

Had to curbside some groceries today and of the approximately 100 people I saw going in and out, maybe 10 had masks. People are too complacent, their memories are too short, and they are (in Alberta) too fed up with the lockdown which never really existed here.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Suns out, guns out. The virus is destroyed by the magic of vitamin D.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spinz posted:

?

Also not a doctor, but mouthbreathing gets a mask more humid faster than breathing through the nostrils.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Spinz posted:

?

Mate, no, your nose is full of hairs and poo poo to catch foreign particles. Not that they'll catch covid, but you sure as poo poo aren't getting it stuck in your teeth.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Spinz posted:

?

This could be the ultimate goon project

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Blistex posted:

Had to curbside some groceries today and of the approximately 100 people I saw going in and out, maybe 10 had masks. People are too complacent, their memories are too short, and they are (in Alberta) too fed up with the lockdown which never really existed here.

I've been incredibly surprised that here in Texas (of all places) I probably see 90% of people wearing masks at grocery stores. It's crazy to think that some people just can't be bothered to ENDURE such a minutia of discomfort for the safety of others.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/realtechmatters/status/1261544532505657345

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Captain Beans posted:

I've been incredibly surprised that here in Texas (of all places) I probably see 90% of people wearing masks at grocery stores. It's crazy to think that some people just can't be bothered to ENDURE such a minutia of discomfort for the safety of others.

Some of my family is starting to succumb to "but I want to have FUN this summer :(" and I don't think they know that the virus is not a person, it doesn't care if you are having fun or not

Yknow what you also can wear comfortably for 8-12 hours? A mask

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I remember when they encountered this race of aliens on Star Trek Voyager.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Blistex posted:

Same. Here in Victoria we've only had 127 confirmed cases in our Health Region and only one (1) remaining active case. Which is great, but it means folks here were never really worried despite huge geriatric population. It's a Vancouver problem, not a Victoria problem. Folks follow the physical distancing guidelines to line up and stuff, but since masks were never a requirement most people don't use them.

Even our loony 'lockdown' protesters pretty much followed physical distancing.
https://www.victoriabuzz.com/2020/05/totally-overblown-small-group-protests-covid-19-lockdown-at-b-c-legislature-in-victoria/

quote:

Duncan resident Karin Forrest says she originally started began protesting against COVID-19 lockdown measures on the Legislature grounds a few weeks ago, after seeing a similar movement in Surrey.

Photos of last Saturday’s demonstration show around a dozen people standing on the lawn, holding signage, but Forrest says approximately 25 people attended.

“The essence of it is to try and maintain or take back some that have been lost of our rights and freedoms guaranteed under the constitution,” Forrest tells Victoria Buzz in a phone interview.

One of her main issues with measures taken since the start of the pandemic is the possibility of mandatory vaccination once a vaccine is available to prevent COVID-19.

Here's Karen protesting mandatory vaccination for a vaccine we don't have yet.

Aren't we quaint?

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

They put some money in that sign look at all that black

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The absolute stupidity of people equal parts baffles and enrages me. What did these halfwit fucks learn in scho . . . ohhhh!

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Here's Karen protesting mandatory vaccination for a vaccine we don't have yet.

You better not fail me now, God!

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Spinz posted:

?

This actually brings up an interesting point as far as how COVID-19 infects. Your nose is much better at filtering crap out before it gets to your lungs than you mouth is - in some cases this can be a problem (eg people with seasonal allergies or sinus related issues tend to have a higher susceptibility to sinus infections) but for COVID-19 this is not the case. There may be a social perception that nose breathing has a higher infection rate but I expect this is attributable to most people being nose-breathers (so as a higher percentage of the pool, it would make sense for them to have more infections).

Looping back to my first sentence, COVID-19 preferentially attaches to cells on ACE2-receptors - these exist all over your body, but they're fairly surface exposed and in relatively high concentration in lung cells, which is why for most people the manifestation of the virus is there. The receptors are also in heart cells, blood vessels, digestive tract, kidneys, and so on, but you do also have some in sinus epithelial cells. Some studies have suggested that part of why children don't have as severe respiratory symptoms is a lesser distribution of ACE2-receptors in the sinuses and lungs (https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2766522) but it's probably too early to know for sure.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

You better not fail me now, God!

Canada trivia note: That's a line from the english version of our national anthem. It's kinda lame, as anthems go.

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all of us command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

Canada trivia note: That's a line from the english version of our national anthem. It's kinda lame, as anthems go.

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

FTFY

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Stand back everybody, there's gonna be a canuck fight.

The official lyrics changed to be more inclusive, yet still lame. https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/services/anthems-canada.html#a1 If you want "thy sons" back you'll have vote the conservatives into power or something.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Hulk Hogan had the best national anthem.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I finally gave up Facebook today

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

The official lyrics changed to be more inclusive, yet still lame. https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/services/anthems-canada.html#a1 If you want "thy sons" back you'll have vote the conservatives into power or something.

Nah man, I hate this loving country and all its attempts to just cover up the oppression without actually changing anything. That was my point.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

tuyop posted:

Nah man, I hate this loving country and all its attempts to just cover up the oppression without actually changing anything. That was my point.

See, I warned you guys, Canuck fights are really boring.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

Hey, what's up your craw, eh?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

I think it speaks to the quality of the mandatory French education in Canada and how little anyone here actually pays attention to the national anthem that like, nobody I knew noticed that the French version's lyrics actually translated to something entirely different until high school.

Keep in mind this was after eight years of year long French classes. I could conjugate the poo poo out of a handful of verbs though so, mission accomplished? In my defense, at the time early French education mostly consisted of videos of this monstrosity:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Canada thread derail continues: why is our second-language education so poo poo? All these European countries have great success teaching English AND Flemish or whatever but we can’t manage French.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Who even came up with the name Canada? I mean really?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

tuyop posted:

Canada thread derail continues: why is our second-language education so poo poo? All these European countries have great success teaching English AND Flemish or whatever but we can’t manage French.

Because no one outside of Ontario or Quebec gives a poo poo about learning French.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

bomb posted:

Who even came up with the name Canada? I mean really?

Racist white people misunderstanding the word for village

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Ananas is great I won’t hear a foul word spoken against him

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'm not your buddy, guy!

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Vakal posted:

Because no one outside of Ontario or Quebec gives a poo poo about learning French.

Based on my experience you can cross Ontario off that list as well.

Like I blame a combination of the way it was taught and lack of exposure. There was no focus on actually speaking or understanding spoken French. Just rote memorization of vocabulary and conjugating verbs. So even if there was a lot of exposure to French media or some compelling reason to comprehend spoken French outside of a classroom a couple times a week, the way they teach it leaves you completely unprepared for that.

Like I've heard from more than one Dutch person that while yeah, they had English classes at some point, their real teacher was English versions of the Simpsons and similar North American media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I think it speaks to the quality of the mandatory French education in Canada and how little anyone here actually pays attention to the national anthem that like, nobody I knew noticed that the French version's lyrics actually translated to something entirely different until high school.

Keep in mind this was after eight years of year long French classes. I could conjugate the poo poo out of a handful of verbs though so, mission accomplished? In my defense, at the time early French education mostly consisted of videos of this monstrosity:

Sword and cross? Nice.

Also loving the "land of our ancestors" style stuff in both given the treatment of the First Nations.