Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Winklebottom posted:

GW just opened a web shop with some impressively ugly merch

Yes, that is definitely the type of room that would hang in

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

WINNERSH TRIANGLE posted:

Hmm not sure I like this look. Obviously I know that it's important not to give too much symbolic weight to the fash, but I think 'red baseball cap with eagles and lightning bolts' is a little tainted atm.

Isn't that the Thundercats logo?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

There is an uncanny resemblance to it yes.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Are the number crunching goonhammer folks looking at the new AdMech kits? I've got the serberys on the way and love the look of both variants so would appreciate some data to help decide. Leaning towards the raiders, but flamer hounds are drat cool too.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Bloat drone done! Only 3 models from DI left!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lord_Hambrose posted:

These shirts are almost there, but why not just do simple logos? One of my favorite t-shirts for gaming is just the Iron Hands. Easy peasy.

Yeah I don't know why more game companies don't do nice clean logo shirts, they're so much better than the da share zone style merch they usually have

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
That's the polo shirts: https://merch-usa.warhammer.com/collections/polo-shirts

No iron hands though.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Maneck posted:

No iron hands though.

OK, these are fine.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

It's a wasted opportunity for GW not having a red AdMech hoodie with white gear-teeth around the cuffs, trim of the hood, etc.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Maneck posted:

No iron hands though.

Also no IG polo either. Which is weird when there's a beanie and a cap with the logo.
The IG isn't isn't too bad though.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

a black polo with 40k iconography is perfect recognition of their audience. Why do warhams love wearing oversized black polos?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Lizard Combatant posted:

Are the number crunching goonhammer folks looking at the new AdMech kits? I've got the serberys on the way and love the look of both variants so would appreciate some data to help decide. Leaning towards the raiders, but flamer hounds are drat cool too.

So basically:

1) Yes we looked at some numbers this week, based purely on the GW previews, check out Hammer of Math from yesterday
2) We will look at more next week once Engine War is actually out
3) I can tell you for sure that the Raiders are good because they're extremely cheap for the number of wounds they have and they have a bunch of offensive upside, but
4) Maybe don't buy 27 robot horse-dogs yet in case 9th ed makes using them unviable

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Verisimilidude posted:

a black polo with 40k iconography is perfect recognition of their audience. Why do warhams love wearing oversized black polos?

Polos are perfect if you want to look somewhat professional, they're more comfortable than button-ups, and require as much effort to throw on as a t-shirt. They're perfect for lazy nerds, so of course I love them.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The Kabalite Warrior sketch tee is pretty slick

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Corrode posted:

Maybe don't buy 27 robot horse-dogs yet in case 9th ed makes using them unviable

That's coward talk!

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

Xenolalia posted:

I know this is ancient now, but what size base is the Sphinx on? I'm hoping on using one as a demon prince

The kit comes with one of those oval monster bases for aos (50 mm?). I ended up getting a 60mm base to replace that disk of sculpty that I had it on in that pic.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

inscrutable horse posted:

It's a wasted opportunity for GW not having a red AdMech hoodie with white gear-teeth around the cuffs, trim of the hood, etc.
While awesome, that would be a MASSIVE pain in the rear end to screen. It would probably be easier to screen or print the bolt of cloth, then assemble the cut pieces.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Dark Angels merch is in the Fallen colors, and I kinda love that.

AdMech ranger hoodie seems cool on paper, but IRL it would look like pixelated Santa.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

TKIY posted:

Getting really into base design. Did these Tech Sector ones next.

Next set will be done as urban ruins. Going to do another goonhammer article on the design process.

Buy my poo poo!

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/804400990/resin-bases-tech-sector

Any plans to do 90mm round? I've been on the lookout for a sector mechanicus style base for invictor warsuits.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
No Imperial Fists merch, big-time fail

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/02/join-the-crusadegw-homepage-post-1/

Today's 9th ed article deals with the new Crusade army playstyle. Which interestingly enough enforces the usage of Power Ratings instead of points.
Also whoever is writing these footnotes really need to fix their order.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Cooked Auto posted:

Which interestingly enough enforces the usage of Power Ratings instead of points.

:mad:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I guess that confirms PR is still around.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

On the plus side, one of the things they mentioned in the reveal twitch stream was something like "Power levels staying the same wasn't working." At the time I thought maybe it referred to being more open to adjust them with errata, but I'm hoping it actually means there's a bit more power rating wargear granularity.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Contingency posted:

Any plans to do 90mm round? I've been on the lookout for a sector mechanicus style base for invictor warsuits.

Yup same basic designs just bigger. Already on my Etsy.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

moths posted:

I guess that confirms PR is still around.

I don't think they ever said it was going away, I don't recall hearing any mention of it during the reveal stream at least and haven't picked up any mentions beyond that point elsewhere.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It just seemed like an obvious thing to cut.

They have points, then "redundant but dumb points." I'm a super-casual player, and I guess they're aimed at me, but I own a calculator so IDK what the point is.

I guess annoying daemon summoning rules.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Some of these mugs aren’t bad...at least I like the ones that are a little more involved than copy/pasting Warhammer art. Drukhari “Architects of pain” mug could be fun in some work environments...

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Stephenls posted:

On the plus side, one of the things they mentioned in the reveal twitch stream was something like "Power levels staying the same wasn't working." At the time I thought maybe it referred to being more open to adjust them with errata, but I'm hoping it actually means there's a bit more power rating wargear granularity.

Yeah, if they manage to fix PL to any appreciable degree I'll at least try it out. It needs regular adjustments and some way to differentiate wargear more than "not at all"

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

I don't think they ever said it was going away, I don't recall hearing any mention of it during the reveal stream at least and haven't picked up any mentions beyond that point elsewhere.

In the stream they basically said they ignored PL and didn't change it when they changed points values and that was a mistake.

I get the logic of "PL is easy to calculate" in theory, but in practice I think the days of agonising over every last point are mostly gone simply as each unit has a more limited range of options. Yeah I guess if I have 6 GK Strike squads and 6 points spare I don't need to pick what squad has what weapon (as with PL they will all have a special weapon because why not?) but who's really agonising over this stuff for narrative games anyway? On top of that, if their app is supposed to basically be "use this instead of battlescribe" there's no maths needed as it keeps track of it all.

All that being said though, the big advantage of PL is letting new players use whatever models they built rather than worrying about whether their unit is good or not. Your Tactical squad has a missile launcher and a flamer? No worries mate, they were "free"!

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

moths posted:

It just seemed like an obvious thing to cut.

They have points, then "redundant but dumb points." I'm a super-casual player, and I guess they're aimed at me, but I own a calculator so IDK what the point is.

I guess annoying daemon summoning rules.

Kitchner posted:

All that being said though, the big advantage of PL is letting new players use whatever models they built rather than worrying about whether their unit is good or not. Your Tactical squad has a missile launcher and a flamer? No worries mate, they were "free"!

Yeah, that. They really, really want an "easier" and "less intimidating" alternative to points that results in newer players just buying and building units that look cool and playing with them, without worrying about whether you're actually shooting yourself in the foot by giving that one guy the bigger cool gun because it means now you can't afford the crucial piece of wargear in the next unit over. I would expect them to keep workshopping PL for the foreseeable future.

In the past, "I built my tac squad with the coolest looking options" was accomplished by new players not knowing poo poo, but now everyone is extremely online 24/7 and it's impossible to escape netlists and the vague but omnipresent anxiety being considered trash for having the wrong list.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 2, 2020

Strelok604
Apr 26, 2020

It also seems kind of patronizing to a new player. If I was just getting into it, I don't want to be treated like a kid who just wants to use whatever looks cool and that's it

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Stephenls posted:

In the past, "I built my tac squad with the coolest looking options" was accomplished by new players not knowing poo poo, but now everyone is extremely online 24/7 and it's impossible to escape netlists and the vague but omnipresent anxiety being considered trash for having the wrong list.

Or, you show up with a fully painted to a good quality force, with kitbashes and conversions that make people just *stare* at your models. After that, people don't give a poo poo about if your force is minmaxed or not.

I've even intimidated players over multiple editions of 40K and WHFB with just "a cool-looking army", and I've never been all that good at actually playing seriously.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

TKIY posted:

Yup same basic designs just bigger. Already on my Etsy.

Are you saying the designs are on Etsy, or the 90mm base itself? If the latter, I didn't see one in the dropdown.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Two Beans posted:

Or, you show up with a fully painted to a good quality force, with kitbashes and conversions that make people just *stare* at your models. After that, people don't give a poo poo about if your force is minmaxed or not.

I've even intimidated players over multiple editions of 40K and WHFB with just "a cool-looking army", and I've never been all that good at actually playing seriously.

You can, but what are the margins on making those people your target market vs. targeting the 14 year olds who can buy a start collecting and a troop box? (And a can of spray primer and three (3) pots of Contrast.)

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
I figured the power level for crusades was because all your dudes will be getting upgrades and relics eventually which don't mix well with the point system. Plus you can re equip units between missions if you are fighting a different army but keep their upgrades/downgrades.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Strelok604 posted:

It also seems kind of patronizing to a new player. If I was just getting into it, I don't want to be treated like a kid who just wants to use whatever looks cool and that's it

It also seems cruel to handhold these hypothetical fragile new players and then drop-kick them into the melee rules.

If they think I'll be confused by adding points for a plasma gun, just wait until I get heroic interventions, consolidating, charging, etc!

I suppose it does make sense with the units' fluctuating status in Crusade mode though. It just feels like weird training wheels that they're managed to find uses for.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Corrode posted:

So basically:

1) Yes we looked at some numbers this week, based purely on the GW previews, check out Hammer of Math from yesterday
2) We will look at more next week once Engine War is actually out
3) I can tell you for sure that the Raiders are good because they're extremely cheap for the number of wounds they have and they have a bunch of offensive upside, but
4) Maybe don't buy 27 robot horse-dogs yet in case 9th ed makes using them unviable

Awesome, thanks. And I'll resist the urge to go doggo mad

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Contingency posted:

Are you saying the designs are on Etsy, or the 90mm base itself? If the latter, I didn't see one in the dropdown.

Must have missed it? 50mm - 100mm should all be on there. Let me confirm.

Edit: Yeah I missed it, added it now. Need to Price out the ovals too.

TKIY fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Hi, if I could, I'd like to ask a question about faction keywords. I picked up the 8th edition Deathguard codex for fun, and to have something to focus on when I need a break from the news. I haven't played since 2010, maybe, and I can already tell the game has changed from the way the stat lines are laid out, the lack of mention of points, no force org chart, and so on. I read the Goonhammer Start Competing article on Death Guard, which was pretty interesting, but noticed that it mentioned including Nurgle demons would invalidate special rules that came with Death Guard forces. How does including something that comes in the codex make other parts of the codex/special rules updates printed somewhere else not work? There's no Great Unclean Ones here too, which feels odd.

So, say, if I had a big pile of WHFB skeletons I wanted to fungal up and use as the archetypal horde of bodies models, do I have to count them as Poxwalkers instead of Plague Bearers so my stink marines can keep their Good at Bolters rule?