Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

forkboy84 posted:

Trying to think of an example that catches me out. Любит is like but some times it's люблю and hosed if I can work out which should be used when.

I'm not an expert by any means* but I think люблю is "I love/like" while Любит is "to love/like" (infinitive).
I may be entirely wrong.

*I demanded my parents get me the book to go with the BBC Russian course when I was about 7 - approx the time I started reading about the revolution etc. Mother took me to see Dr Zhivago when I was 13 to put me off commies - erm - it didn't work.

Ed: page snipe 8

The 8-fold way, the 8th colour (octarine), chinese number of good luck

Song by Billy Eilish that I have never listened to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZYd9JxithE

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jun 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

https://twitter.com/dikt54/status/1267792499868925954?s=20

they've never actually said why they stopped reporting people tested, did they?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

- not sure if this is something you might be interested in? (is there an easier way of tagging someone without doing an empty quote?)

Anyone interested in Housing:

Digital Housing Week - 22-26 June.

https://gateway.on24.com/wcc/gateway/eliteOceanMediaGroup/2341832

quote:

What question would you most like to ask England’s housing minister Chris Pincher? How about the chief executive of the Regulator of Social Housing, Fiona MacGregor or the chief land and development officer at Homes England, Stephen Kinsella?

All three are among an array of exciting speakers confirmed for Digital Housing Week, which runs from Monday 22 to Friday 26 June.

You submit your questions for them on Twitter at #digitalhousingweek and help drive the conversations on the day.

Seem to be a good array of different topics and representatives.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 2, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I think the first question I'd want to ask any Tory minister is "How do you sleep at night?"

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Matt Baker's a goon? Cool.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Is the government expected to win this vote on proxy voting?
Unless I'm misunderstanding things, it seems a painfully transparent motion to limit participation and scrutiny, it's crazy how JRM can just spout some nonsense about getting the house running again amidst social distancing when, of course, proxy voting precludes the need for social distancing in the first place. And that's a fine and normal position for a responsible adult to take, he means it and there's no ulterior motive or anything you guys. Even if there are genuine concerns about the virtual process, maybe try some new methods.
"I don't accept that MPs unable to take part in person are being disenfranchised," says a man who is literally disenfranchising MPs by making it harder and more dangerous, maybe even impossible, for them to vote.

Deketh fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 2, 2020

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'm not an expert by any means* but I think люблю is "I love/like" while Любит is "to love/like" (infinitive).

I think Любит is s/he loves/likes and the infinitive would have a soft sign on the end. I also could be wrong!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jedit posted:

I think the first question I'd want to ask any Tory minister is "How do you sleep at night?"

Your money or your life?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would be surprised if they don't given the government has a large majority.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
one of the few things I remember how to say in Russian off the top of my head is "мне шестнадцать лет" which is unfortunately no longer particularly useful for me

e: "I'm 16 years old"

XMNN fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 2, 2020

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Grimey Drawer
The likely result is that a lot of ministers on all sides are going to die which is going to be difficult for them to spin. Not expecting it to collapse the government, that apparently doesn't happen anymore, but it can go on the big 'Boris worst PM, OMG u r such a cock' pile.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

forkboy84 posted:

It's not easy. It took a couple weeks (could've been more, time no longer makes sense) just to wrap my head around the alphabet. And I don't really think Duolingo is the best way to learn grammar so I'll probably need to get a textbook at some point. I've been enjoying Alex Navarro's lockdown Euro Truck Simulator streams because he ofte puts on Russian language radio which is surprisingly helpful.

Trying to think of an example that catches me out. Любит is like but some times it's люблю and hosed if I can work out which should be used when.

That said, I've been doing it for 3 months and I'm only doing 15-30 minutes a day and I was shite at languages in school and I certainly can sense improvement. So I guess it's no harder than any other language really, once you wrap your head around the alphabet. Easier than learning a load of Kanji or whatever. And it is surprising me how satisfying it has been.
Great, thanks! Will give it a go then, see what happens.

communism bitch posted:

Russian is really easy because 90% of the vocabulary is English words in a Russian accent, 5% are close enough that you can really easily mentally link them. The other 5% is gibberish to English speakers but who needs to know how to say "bread" in Russian anyway.

E: for example house is дом - "Dom" like domicile. Bicycle is вепосиред or "velocipede". Radio is радио - "radio". It's all loving English lol
finally we uncover the truth! Russians kept forgetting the word for "bread", and that's why the queues for it were so long

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

CGI Stardust posted:

Great, thanks! Will give it a go then, see what happens.

finally we uncover the truth! Russians kept forgetting the word for "bread", and that's why the queues for it were so long

I remember it because it's like the useless gun in Goldeneye, which makes the Russian connection in my head.

Egg is just crazy though.

Picture of bike, yep
Picture of car, yep
Picture of egg, yay-tzoh - confused face

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

- not sure if this is something you might be interested in? (is there an easier way of tagging someone without doing an empty quote?)

Anyone interested in Housing:

Digital Housing Week - 22-26 June.

https://gateway.on24.com/wcc/gateway/eliteOceanMediaGroup/2341832

Seem to be a good array of different topics and representatives.

I'll be the first person ever banned from Twitter for a meltdown over the Parker-Morris standards.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'll be the first person ever banned from Twitter for a meltdown over the Parker-Morris standards.

In a good way or a bad way? I just checked those out and my flat fails 1961 and 1967 versions. (Flat is 26sqm which is below minimum in both sets).

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Sorry to use this thread when I need advice again, but should I still be paying my childminder? I would normally pay her this week for July, but I have literally no idea what support she might be getting. I sent an email asking and she replied saying if I could just pay her £100 for July that would really help and now I don't know what to do. It would be easier if she'd just asked me for £100. Legal and moral considerations strongly appreciated.

Edit: I just sent her £100

Little spot of bright news that might cheer people - company board meeting this morning and like a lot of companies we've taken the opportunity recently to update all our internal processes. One of them is our fair and equal treatment policy, which has been updated to include gender as well as sexuality and now includes a passage about the right to self-identify and be treated accordingly. One very senior member of the board started to say that if anyone has legitimate concerns about another member of staff's sexual identity we should provide a safe space for them to be heard, and before I could get myself in trouble our head of HR stepped in and shut her down hard. "If you define a concern in those terms it is by its very nature not legitimate. If you want to discuss this more I'll make time, but I strongly suggest you drop it at this table". Policy approved without further complaint. Progress.

Sanford fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 2, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you have £100 and your childminder needs £100 then I think you should give her £100.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Well I had to go and check why Lee Rigby is trending on twitter. Don't recommend if you have blood pressure problems (unless it needs a boost).

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

OwlFancier posted:

If you have £100 and your childminder needs £100 then I think you should give her £100.

Yeah it is pretty obvious isn't it. I will happily pay the fee of one hundred pounds to defer having to think about this for a further month.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
What the loving gently caress is this white nonsense

https://twitter.com/RuthNewportWest/status/1267835732246302728

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Well I had to go and check why Lee Rigby is trending on twitter. Don't recommend if you have blood pressure problems (unless it needs a boost).

I did this and thankfully the first results were explanations and condemnations of the fuckwits making this comparison so I didn't need to scroll further.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Bobstar posted:

I remember it because it's like the useless gun in Goldeneye, which makes the Russian connection in my head.

Egg is just crazy though.

Picture of bike, yep
Picture of car, yep
Picture of egg, yay-tzoh - confused face

Huh, that's pretty close to the Hebrew word for egg - Bay-tzah. I wonder what the common root is there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Semitic languages aren't related at all to indo european ones are they? Presumably it'd either have to be a loanword or convergent evolution?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Miftan posted:

Huh, that's pretty close to the Hebrew word for egg - Bay-tzah. I wonder what the common root is there.

It's bayd in Arabic.

Etymology for the word 'egg':

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They both have a dual meaning as slang for testicles though. That's also common with Spanish and a bunch of other languages with unrelated eggwords, so maybe English is the weird one for not having eggs be common slang.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Semitic languages aren't related at all to indo european ones are they? Presumably it'd either have to be a loanword or convergent evolution?

I mean Yiddish has a ton of crossover with Russian/German and both those countries have had massive Jewish populations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Guavanaut posted:

They both have a dual meaning as slang for testicles though. That's also common with Spanish and a bunch of other languages with unrelated eggwords, so maybe English is the weird one for not having eggs be common slang.

I'm pretty sure it used to be slang in English didn't it? I'm sure I've read stuff from a couple of centuries ago where it was slang for testicles here.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I think Arabic too if the Arabian Nights (the adult version not the kiddy version) is anything to go by!

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Deketh posted:

Is the government expected to win this vote on proxy voting?
Unless I'm misunderstanding things, it seems a painfully transparent motion to limit participation and scrutiny, it's crazy how JRM can just spout some nonsense about getting the house running again amidst social distancing when, of course, proxy voting precludes the need for social distancing in the first place. And that's a fine and normal position for a responsible adult to take, he means it and there's no ulterior motive or anything you guys. Even if there are genuine concerns about the virtual process, maybe try some new methods.
"I don't accept that MPs unable to take part in person are being disenfranchised," says a man who is literally disenfranchising MPs by making it harder and more dangerous, maybe even impossible, for them to vote.

when it was first mooted a lot of people were saying obviously the government expects to lose. they didn't actually even want to win, just setting it up so could say "look it's parliament imposed this on us, not our fault" like with the final Brexit extension. so the public wouldn't look at MPs still staying home and get narked that we were expected to be back working as normal. and playing to the peanut gallery for the people who really do value the tradition above all else (JRM's fan club)
but nope, now it really looks like they're going all in on it. that desperate to have the cheering squad in behind Johnson when has to face off against Starmer each week.

a bit mad isn't it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looks like it's convergent then.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
So, thread, I am finally at the point where I am genuinely frightened about the rise of fascism around the world, and want to do something about it - i.e., join an organisation(s) which combat fascism. I've had a Google and not really been able to find anything, and I couldn't see anything on the front page - so please can someone help? Just links or whatever are fine if you don't want to effortpost.

If it's any help, I live in the revolutionary hot bed of west Kent, so anything round here would be appreciated...

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Miftan posted:

I mean Yiddish has a ton of crossover with Russian/German and both those countries have had massive Jewish populations.

Yiddish is specifically mediaeval German welded to Hebrew isn't it?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

In a good way or a bad way? I just checked those out and my flat fails 1961 and 1967 versions. (Flat is 26sqm which is below minimum in both sets).

I want to nail them to the door of every planning department in the country like a council house Martin Luther.

GLA (and some other authorities) now have (non-binding) standards that at first glance look like an improvement on Parker-Morris, but it's not just the outright area that most modern housing fails on (bearing in mind that these were supposed to be *minimums*), it's stuff like window sizes, sound insulation, in-built storage, division between kitchen and living room (a lot of developers combine them to make the living room seem bigger but of course it just means all your furniture ends up stinking of cooking, and also that you have no fire break between the kitchen and the rest of the dwelling), bathroom ventilation, and a thousand other little touches that vastly improve the quality of the living space.

While we're at it I'd also make appearance covenants punishable by death. Many poor-door units have specific clauses in their leases/tenancies forbidding the use of outdoor space for anything other than a very narrowly-defined set of uses, normally excluding any form of storage or clothes drying. That's right, you can be thrown out of your home for wanting to air out a towel rather than pissing away money (and carbon emissions) on using a tumble dryer, because they're terrified of the balconies not matching the architects drawings and maybe even forcing a member of the upper classes to gaze upon the underwear of the underclass.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Yiddish is specifically mediaeval German welded to Hebrew isn't it?

High German–based vernacular fused with elements taken from Hebrew and Aramaic as well as Slavic languages and traces of Romance languages. It's a bit of a mess.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

Bay-tzah. I wonder what the common root is there.

Miftan posted:

There's eggs in Deuteronomy and other texts which predate the diaspora, so either Russians stole the eggs from Jews or it's a strange coincidence.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I'm pretty sure it used to be slang in English didn't it? I'm sure I've read stuff from a couple of centuries ago where it was slang for testicles here.
Maybe, but it's always been a distant third to balls/bollocks (small balls), and stones/jewels (a Shakespeare favourite).

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think Arabic too if the Arabian Nights (the adult version not the kiddy version) is anything to go by!
It really wouldn't surprise me, it's in a ton of non-English languages.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Plums is more common, presumably as a humblebrag thing but also a worry given the colour.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

must be boiling out there in a suit

hopefully enough Tories die of heat exhaustion wandering around the grounds of parliament that they lose the vote

e: Maltese is imho probably one of the weirdest languages, e.g.

the lord's prayer posted:

Missierna, li inti fis-smewwiet,
jitqaddes ismek,
tigi saltnatek,
ikun li trid int, kif fis-sema, hekkda fl-art.
Hobzna ta' kuljum aghtina llum.
Ahfrilna dnubietna,
bhalma nahfru lil min hu hati ghalina.
U la ddahhalniex fit-tigrib,
izda ehlisna mid-deni.

Amen.

like I can't even begin to guess how some of those words are pronounced, but maybe it just looks bizarre because it's written in the Latin alphabet, if it was still written in Arabic script I'd still not know how to make the sounds but it might not bother my brain so much

XMNN fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 2, 2020

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
So it looks like the government will win the vote to end remote voting...

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

that's not specific to poor door flats. it's practically standard across every new build leasehold agreement that you pretty much can't use your balcony for anything or put up any decoration.
blanket ban easier than the management having to actually intervene and mediate on the odd occasion someone might do something stupid that does affect the neighbouring flats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sounds a lot like german but if the person speaking the german was whatever the german equivalent of a geordie or west country or scottish is. Wildly different pronunciation on a lot of the words which I assume is the result of divergence over time combined with holdovers from older german. A lot like middle english to modern english as well.

Re: languages which sound similar apparently there is such a thing as interslavic which can be sort of understood by most members of the slavic language group.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NztgXMLwv4A

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 2, 2020