Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Shadow225 posted:

I still have space for one more game.

Some other small games potentially worth adding: Welcome to the Dungeon and/or Welcome Back to the dungeon (sort of press your luck; it's basically Name That Tune) ,The Grizzled (a dower card-driven co-op about WWI) or Hanabi (a co-op about forgetful fireworks manufacturers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Insider or Fake Artist would be a good rounder if you want something social. A custom set of Tak pieces would fit if you want an abstract. This is what I keep in my card box

Air, Land, & Sea
Lost Cities Rivals
Battle Line Medieval
Fox in the Forest
Sylvion
High Society
The Game/The Mind
The Resistance
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
Playing cards for Skull/Cockroach Poker

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 31, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

6 Nimmt or just a regular set of Poker cards would also be good options.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Magnetic North posted:

Welcome to the Dungeon and/or Welcome Back to the dungeon (sort of press your luck; it's basically Name That Tune)
Can't recommend these highly enough. A demo game takes about as long as the explanation does, which is not long at all, and you can just play until you're done instead of going by the rulebook.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Thanks for the suggestions all! I'm on mobile so don't have capacity to respond to each post, but know that I greatly appreciate the suggestions.

SiKboy posted:

Bang! the dice game is semi-co-op (kinda sorta), more or less fills a roll and write niche (although you dont write anything), and is real small (30 cards, 5 dice and about 50 tokens, and most of the tokens could honestly be ditched). It does have hidden roles though if thats an absolute deal breaker.

Bang Dice Game is really interesting to me. I like the idea of what it wants to do, at least at a 15 minute game pace. I played it years ago but the crowd didn't quite grasp it. If the rules to the roles were printed on the role cards like the walking dead version, I think it would have solved a lot.

Do you have any opinions on the two expansions?

BL, what is a situation where you'd prefer ONUW over Resistance?

Turin Market sounds interesting. I've never played a Draper. Might be an easy way to get a taste.

I've played Hanabi, Fake Artist, Welcome to the Dungeon, The Grizzled, and 6 nimnt in the past. All wonderful suggestions, just didn't click with me for whatever reason.

I think I'm leaning Bang Dice Game, Insider, and maybe looking into either an engine builder and/or Roland Wright that can fit into a 4x6x1 box. Tried looking at the Tiny Epic games, but I doubt they'd fit.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

BL, what is a situation where you'd prefer ONUW over Resistance?

More casual settings. The Resistance is still a "heavy" party game, requiring serious thought and play whereas ONUW is light and silly 5 minute rounds anyone can hop in. It's saved me from a few CAH nights at different gatehrings and is worth its weight in gold for that alone. I actually made a few sets for friends using playing cards (red cards for villagers, black for werewolf, and sharpied the role names on them) because they liked it so much.

terebikun
May 27, 2016
Anyone have tips/advice for doing the TI4 Frankendraft?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
What's the goonpinion of Frosthaven? Yesterday got an email reminding me that the kickstarter had ended and pre-orders were open. I was halfway through a campaign before moving and losing my group, and I had enjoyed it a lot up to that point, but 100$ plus shipping to Europe is a lot if it's "only" more Gloomhaven.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
depends on if 'more gloomhaven' is a positive or a negative to you

i think it's a positive, so i went in on it

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's more Gloomhaven with some fixes in certain areas. The campaign side has the most changes because (a) it's where Gloomhaven had more mechanical issues and (b) it's meant to be as cross-compatible as possible and changing the combat would prevent that.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
So few posts in the past few days. We were playing Pipeline when I got news of what happened with the protests in Los Angeles. Fortunately my friend who lives in LA got home safely but the whole situation has taken the enjoyment out of board gaming for the time being. Can't concentrate on gaming at this time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mayveena posted:

So few posts in the past few days. We were playing Pipeline when I got news of what happened with the protests in Los Angeles. Fortunately my friend who lives in LA got home safely but the whole situation has taken the enjoyment out of board gaming for the time being. Can't concentrate on gaming at this time.

It's loving nightmarish. The UK and US have been in a race to the bottom this last little while, but Trump effectively just declared that America was a fascist state before teargassing priests so he could have a photo op. Stay safe.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I appreciate that the world is on fire and we are all stressed atm, but could we keep this thread dedicated to just gaming? I think that there is value in having a space that isn't inundated with the state of the world as a brief escapism.

Thanks

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Shadow225 posted:

I appreciate that the world is on fire and we are all stressed atm, but could we keep this thread dedicated to just gaming? I think that there is value in having a space that isn't inundated with the state of the world as a brief escapism.

Thanks

It's also a community, and in my opinion one of the better ones for the hobby, and expressing interest in each other's well beings seems good?

If it was pages and pages without any board game discussion, sure, but a couple posts doesn't warrant this response.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I'm not asking not to talk about these things or show concern for others in the thread. There are plenty of other avenues to do that. I do not think that requesting that a thread stay mostly on topic as a respite to the anxiety is an unreasonable ask.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Shadow225 posted:

I'm not asking not to talk about these things or show concern for others in the thread. There are plenty of other avenues to do that. I do not think that requesting that a thread stay mostly on topic as a respite to the anxiety is an unreasonable ask.

I say again, it was two posts.

terebikun
May 27, 2016
Hey if yall don't wanna talk about serious stuff maybe one of you can tell me the secret cheat code to beating my friend in the TI4 frankendraft. It's their last game before their visa expires and they have to leave the country next week and I want to crush them.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

terebikun posted:

Hey if yall don't wanna talk about serious stuff maybe one of you can tell me the secret cheat code to beating my friend in the TI4 frankendraft. It's their last game before their visa expires and they have to leave the country next week and I want to crush them.

Hm, well I think Barony is a strong choice as they cover up a lot of personal weaknesses and play to my personal strengths; I always struggle to put plastic on the board and manage to fall behind on command counters so Letnev is good for papering over some of that. Space Cats Peace Turtles is a podcast with solid strategy advice for TI4

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 2, 2020

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
To be honest, gaming has really helped me take my mind off things lately. I've been feeling a lot of anger and hopelessness this past week (and I'm speaking as someone in a position of privilege not from the US who can tune out at my leisure). Gaming has been my escape.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

It is impressive that there is an entire podcast dedicated to a single game. Unless I'm reading that wrong. But still, to offer strategy advice assumes you have played the game quite a bit. To offer it publicly assumes that you are confident that you won't be harassed by viewer base. To have played what I understand to be an epic of a game that many times is... Impressive.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Shadow225 posted:

It is impressive that there is an entire podcast dedicated to a single game. Unless I'm reading that wrong. But still, to offer strategy advice assumes you have played the game quite a bit. To offer it publicly assumes that you are confident that you won't be harassed by viewer base. To have played what I understand to be an epic of a game that many times is... Impressive.

To be fair they’ve branched out into roughly similar games in the past with podcasts about Dune and Root. But yeah it’s over a hundred episodes over three years just chatting about Twilight Imperium featuring two guys with a pretty good rapport and good speaking voices.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Triskelli posted:

Hm, well I think Barony is a strong choice as they cover up a lot of personal weaknesses and play to my personal strengths; I always struggle to put plastic on the board and manage to fall behind on command counters so Letnev is good for papering over some of that. Space Cats Peace Turtles is a podcast with solid strategy advice for TI4

I've tried to get into SCPT because I actually find the people easy to listed too and I find TI fascinating, but starting from ep 1 is mindbogglingly confusing as I'm not embroiled in the meta of TI. Is there a good place to start with this podcast?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I know a group that plays TI monthly and even alternates editions. They generally agree that 4th is the best after not liking it that much at the start.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

SoftNum posted:

I've tried to get into SCPT because I actually find the people easy to listed too and I find TI fascinating, but starting from ep 1 is mindbogglingly confusing as I'm not embroiled in the meta of TI. Is there a good place to start with this podcast?

Episode 10 has a “bonus” called “Learning to Learn” which goes over how to get into Twilight Imperium, that seems like a good place to start.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
The Kemet reprint Kickstarter has been teasing a green pyramid and they revealed what it is today. It's a loving Cthulhu expansion.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

What doesn't have a Cthulhu expansion yet?

Dune?

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Poopy Palpy posted:

The Kemet reprint Kickstarter has been teasing a green pyramid and they revealed what it is today. It's a loving Cthulhu expansion.

This is almost offensively stupid, I'd think this was a bad joke if I didn't have the announcement right in front of me.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Poopy Palpy posted:

Yuck, count me out.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Shadow225 posted:

Thanks for the suggestions all! I'm on mobile so don't have capacity to respond to each post, but know that I greatly appreciate the suggestions.

Bang Dice Game is really interesting to me. I like the idea of what it wants to do, at least at a 15 minute game pace. I played it years ago but the crowd didn't quite grasp it. If the rules to the roles were printed on the role cards like the walking dead version, I think it would have solved a lot.

Do you have any opinions on the two expansions?

I'm afraid I havent played the expansions, but I've heard good things about the one with the ghost in it!

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Poopy Palpy posted:

Already wasn't in cause of the price, but yikes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

It's not even like Egyptian gods don't show up in Lovecraft already.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Amusingly Lovecraft himself absolutely disliked games and considered them unproductive wastes of time.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

So did Buddha. Ironically, his rant on lovely board games, Jenga, dice and physical activity is one of the earliest pieces of game journalism.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:getin:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Sloober posted:

depends on if 'more gloomhaven' is a positive or a negative to you

i think it's a positive, so i went in on it

It's certainly a positive, but I still have a lot of Gloomhaven to go through, and I don't want to have a backlog in my boardgame library. I already have Steam for that.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
I've finally been getting in some boardgaming with friends in person again ever since the start of the Corona lockdown:

Dungeon Drop: One of my friends kickstarted this and got the deluxe version. Games take like 20 minutes tops and thanks to how you play a different race/class combination in a dungeon every time, it keeps you hankering for just one more game. I liked the cute aesthetics and there's just something satisfying about dropping a bunch of cubes all over your table.

Between Two Castles: This game has been a huge hit whenever I bring it. My friends and I are huge fans of the original Castles of Mad King Ludwig, but not everybody liked the setting prices for rooms mechanic. Made it feel like you made a mistake too easily. The drafting mechanic helps in that regard for newer players. We always enjoying looking at our castles after the game's finished and try to think up a story why the castles ended up as they did.

Sushi Go Party: This is my go-to filler game and drafting game. It just so good.

Ishtar: Who knew gardening could be vicious? You're constantly getting in the way of each other, grabbing trees your opponents have been eyeing or fighting over fountains. All the games of Ishtar I've played so far ended up pretty close. There's a good amount of strategy involved which changes depending on the player count. After playing this I realized I do own a fair amount of Bruno Cathala games (Five Tribes, Yamatai, King+Queendomino and 7 Wonders Duel + Expansion) and I really want to play some Five Tribes again, but my friends really don't like auction games. Which is a shame, because it means I don't get to play Keyflower much either

Nusfjord: First time I've played it with two people. It's a typical Uwe Rosenberg worker placement with a rather quaint theme, but I enjoy how tight the gameplay is. You have 21 actions over 7 turns, so you got to make them count. The C buildings add a bit of extra strategy and goals to work to, but it's very possible your opponent purchases the building you've been eyeing the moment they become available to everybody. I ended up winning 32 to 30, a very close game!

Railroad Ink Blazing Red: a fun and quick roll and write game perfect for on vacation (although I doubt it will see any vacation use this year). Really easy to learn and play. The extra modes add a bit more complexity and choice if you want a bit more bite to your roll and writing.

Aristeia!: I've owned Aristeia! and a few of its expansions for a while now, but haven't got the chance to play it a lot yet. Luckily(?) thanks to the Covid-19 lockdown I've been able to play it a lot with my little brother and I see myself playing this game a lot more the coming weeks. The game is like a MOBA skirmish sport game where, depending on the scenario, you try to score points at the end of the round by dominating zones. You build your team of four characters and build your deck of tactics from a standard deck plus any chosen cards from the characters you picked. The characters themselves are like MOBA characters in that they have different roles and abilities. Some of them have fantastic movement to get in the objective zone and score points, while others are better at taking out other character or play a controlling role by moving around your opponent's characters.
There's a lot of fun in building teams for the scenario you're playing and trying out synergies between characters and the tactics cards they bring. As such I ended up splurging on the remaining expansions and a storage solution.

As for backed games:
Frosthaven: My group really enjoyed Gloomhaven. I was a bit wary about Frosthaven, but after reading up on the new starter classes, summoning fixes and changes to the campaign, I was sold.
Oath
Infinity Defiance
Adventure Tactics
Root + expansions: Should arrive aaany day now. Been looking forward to this one because of the asymmetric gameplay and the fact more than 4 people can play.
Looking at this kickstarter list, it turns out I rather enjoy co-op dungeon crawling boardgames.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Just going to go downstairs and gently caress the DE-LUXE wooden box that houses my beloved Mega Civ and then get mad at the idea of SU&SD possibly making the obviously inferior new version popular and diminishing my board gaming hipster credibility.

Still think the price and time length will keep it out of most people's hands, which is an honest shame but you never know...

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

FulsomFrank posted:

Just going to go downstairs and gently caress the DE-LUXE wooden box that houses my beloved Mega Civ and then get mad at the idea of SU&SD possibly making the obviously inferior new version popular and diminishing my board gaming hipster credibility.

Still think the price and time length will keep it out of most people's hands, which is an honest shame but you never know...

God drat is that a sexy box :allears: There’s a definite appeal when you’ve been invited to spend a day with a fifty-year old epic game and the host places a drat treasure chest on the table and creaks it open.

More kickstarters need a treasure chest backer tier.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
The Megaciv chat got me wondering about peoples favourite "event games". So goon hive mind, if money was not object and you were going to rally your friends to play the crap out of a game for a day/weekend, what would that game be? Would your opinion change if you could play it something like once every year or two?

I think I'd probably pick Twilight Imperium because I have no imagination and I might be able to drag a few extra bodies to the table to make it as big as possible.

Now for the real game of trying to figure out whether an 18XX game, Napoleon's Triumph, Megaciv or Twilight Imperium comes out on top!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Probably a game of full 1825. I've only played various configurations of the kits up to now, but I would love to play the full set if I had the opportunity. 18OE and 18C2C are also decent day-long games, though I've only played OE in person which was about 14 hours from start to end.