Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Moo the cow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsuS0Lyr5gg

Tesla's Autopilot doing a bang-up job as usual

They lived despite the airbags not deploying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

goddamn, how is this car so loving stupid.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Moo the cow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsuS0Lyr5gg

Tesla's Autopilot doing a bang-up job as usual

I'm sure there was a very loud bang, yes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Or they could just build a train. I love how all these dance around everything under the sun but trains.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

CommieGIR posted:

Or they could just build a train. I love how all these dance around everything under the sun but trains.

Seriously, the track is the most expensive part. A quick search had one source saying the Japanese Shinkansen costs about 35 million per train, a preexisting technology you could just go and buy.

It's almost like we figured out a lot of great ways to move people already, but they're not lethal enough for the modern age I guess.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

PirateDentist posted:

Seriously, the track is the most expensive part. A quick search had one source saying the Japanese Shinkansen costs about 35 million per train, a preexisting technology you could just go and buy.

It's almost like we figured out a lot of great ways to move people already, but they're not lethal enough for the modern age I guess.

There's just not enough grift in trains, especially after the U.S. auto industry spent decades demonizing the things. Sadly the only place for trains left in the U.S. is C-SPAM.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Warmachine posted:

There's just not enough grift in trains, especially after the U.S. auto industry spent decades demonizing the things. Sadly the only place for trains left in the U.S. is C-SPAM.

Living at the end of the Acela corridor, it's amazing just how much better train travel is to get to the cities along it. Even taking the non-Acela trains are a significantly superior experience to flying or driving.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Has Dahir Insaat been working at boeing recently???

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

All recent indicators point to yes.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Turn keys planes on the horizon.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

All recent indicators point to yes.

Oh poo poo.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Crossposted from the schad thread

https://i.imgur.com/cVpPeP9.mp4

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I assume the next line would have been "I don't know man, the light just exploded"

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Warmachine posted:

You can also sell your TotallyNotATrain to local authorities more easily because you can hype up the ability and lowball the cost, while people in general know how much a train costs

The big challenge is getting another TotallyNotATrain build after the first but that's a problem for future you

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I've sold flying trains to Brockley, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook, and by golly it put them on the map!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MikeCrotch posted:

You can also sell your TotallyNotATrain to local authorities more easily because you can hype up the ability and lowball the cost, while people in general know how much a train costs

The big challenge is getting another TotallyNotATrain build after the first but that's a problem for future you

Thanks to the bike shed effect, you can get something dumb like that approved quickly because no one wants to look like an idiot when they don't understand what they are talking about.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

LifeSunDeath posted:

goddamn, how is this car so loving stupid.

Did the car accelerate into the lorry? There was a puff of something off the wheels as it approached as if it was trying for an emergency brake but then it keeps on going.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Knormal posted:

I've sold flying trains to Brockley, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook, and by golly it put them on the map!

I like how they're advertising the frain explicitly to appeal to Dubai investors. It's a big stupid useless thing and that's the type of stuff they go nuts for (or did before the market took a hit).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So, crosswinds on the frain must be tough on that lanyard cord huh

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Z the IVth posted:

Did the car accelerate into the lorry? There was a puff of something off the wheels as it approached as if it was trying for an emergency brake but then it keeps on going.

Driver definitely slammed on the brakes, but was just too close for it to do anything. You can see smaller puffs of smoke all the way until it hit the truck as the anti-lock brake system kept trying and failing to prevent skidding.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

More ship fuckling. Shuckling?

https://i.imgur.com/pPb3fa8.mp4
(don’t unmute...)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lol I love the two women that just stay seated in the front row for this trainshipwreck

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ5HZfIN3iY

not sure I'd be happy doing this

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

That's a brilliant machine!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/0lly9Qk.gifv

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

it's incredibly fake, but ok

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

Explosionface posted:

Any idea which ship in the 7th fleet the captain originally came from?

Quite an appropriate joke, given the touch screen controls those destroyers in the 7th fleet had and after pages of arguing about touch screens in utes and SpaceX capsules.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-49319450

quote:

The US Navy is replacing touch screen controls on destroyers, after the displays were implicated in collisions.

Unfamiliarity with the touch screens contributed to two accidents that caused the deaths of 17 sailors, said incident reports.

Poor training meant sailors did not know how to use the complex systems in emergencies, they said.

Sailors "overwhelmingly" preferred to control ships with wheels and throttles, surveys of crew found.

The US Navy reports looked into collisions involving the USS Fitzgerald in June 2017 and the USS McCain in August 2017.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

The difference of course is that ships are actually piloted by humans and spaceships are piloted by computers.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Lou Takki posted:

The difference of course is that ships are actually piloted by humans and spaceships are piloted by computers.

Also that NASA bothers to train people to operate their vehicles before letting a teenager drive one.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

it's incredibly fake, but ok

My new frame films the centre of the action in 10fps, but the REST of the screen in 30fps.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cat Hatter posted:

Also that NASA bothers to train people to operate their vehicles before letting a teenager drive one.

With an attitude the Death Star would still be around, deathing stars!

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

whoa!!! that'll show 'em

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Is it presented as anything other than a joke?

I mean, other than it being posted in this thread.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Lou Takki posted:

What is the space equivalent of drunken lake boating?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Piss Meridian posted:

What is the space equivalent of drunken lake boating?

Tesla Branded Autopilot, and a squeeze tube of jello shooters.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

The article I found said they were "unharmed" but didn't specify anything about airbags, so if that's true, then clearly the accident was gentle enough that it didn't require the protection of airbags? :v:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/szBgxKW.gifv

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Cat Hatter posted:

Train drivers to be better?? Get that communist idea outta my capitalism!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

I kept waiting for the bungee to pull him up or the chute to slow him down, and then, sploosh. Terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I was expecting “Hey, you. You’re finally awake.”