Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Suburbanites keep claiming malls out there have looters but I can't find a thing on the news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Unless you got a press badge, then you just as hosed.

Yeah, nobody’s patrolling Brookfield.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The X-man cometh posted:

Suburbanites keep claiming malls out there have looters but I can't find a thing on the news.

WGN had a reporter outside the Bestbuy in North Riverside that got looted. It was mentioned that a bunch of other stores in that area got hit as well. Mentioned it went down fast, and that it is likely a group or groups of opportunists doing the looting.

The 5:25pm video in the liveblog. I can’t figure out how to link directly to the video while on my phone.

https://wgntv.com/news/chicago-news/live-blog-restrictions-in-place-sunday-after-chaotic-night-in-chicago/

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I've heard River Oaks Mall in Calumet City mentioned a few times from my northwest Indiana friends.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Wife just came down after watching the news a bit ago and said the jewelry store where we got our wedding rings made got ransacked.

Jows
May 8, 2002

WescottF1 posted:

Wife just came down after watching the news a bit ago and said the jewelry store where we got our wedding rings made got ransacked.

I saw on an app called citizen the same thing about our jeweler. I mean it's just stuff, but still sad.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

WescottF1 posted:

oh no, objects that are almost assuredly insured.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?
Looks like Joliet had some shops smashed in the first instance of such I can remember happening here in my lifetime. Impressive in its own way; I think it shows how serious people are and how lacking we are in national leadership that its filtered down all the way to cities of our size.

That being said, most of the areas Joliet residents were protesting in were peaceful through most of yesterday and even had a dialogue going with authorities. At one point the mayor was out talking with one group (I’d say ‘marching with’ but the rally stayed at one intersection). Then there were a bunch of social media posts about groups coming in from New Lenox, Shorewood, Plainfield, etc. Couple of hours later and all of the demonstrations were suddenly breaking up because of violent agitators in their midst. To the surprise of no one, Joliet PD are saying this morning that most of the arrests were of these white out of towners who came into our more mixed city to smash things up under the cover of solidarity protests. Neighboring villages I might add that have a long history of blocking bus routes or literally driving their homeless to our downtown and dumping them ‘cause they know we’ll provide shelter and then turn around and use barely disguised dog whistle statements about how much homelessness and “thugs” Joliet has.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Some looting last night in Aurora, a walgreens in one location and a bank and a few stores downtown got hosed up. Cop car got torched too and there were smells of burning cars and helicopters over downtown late into the night.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013
CPS is suspending meal distribution. They've given out more than 12 million meals since quarantine started. This is clearly punitive, hopefully it doesn't last long.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/06/01/cps-not-giving-out-free-meals-for-kids-monday/

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Bloomington/Normal had Target and Walmarts hit in the wee hours. Perhaps Best Buy too, I'm not sure. There were reports of fires, but they were all false. Target was, as it seems to be, the main location.

Some scattered stuff here and there, like a pharmacist, too. Random gas stations, some liquor stores.

A sporting/gun shop and a dispensary were targeted, but nobody got in.

Very spread out. Nobody apparently hurt, though.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Source4Leko posted:

Some looting last night in Aurora, a walgreens in one location and a bank and a few stores downtown got hosed up. Cop car got torched too and there were smells of burning cars and helicopters over downtown late into the night.

Anymore news about Aurora? I live in Naperville near a couple of hospitals and I noticed more sirens and helicopters than usual.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

limp_cheese posted:

Anymore news about Aurora? I live in Naperville near a couple of hospitals and I noticed more sirens and helicopters than usual.

Anecdotal reports from friends saying they heard gun shots, and twitter chatter that officers were shot at.

https://twitter.com/BernieTafoya/status/1267414853247029248?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Enews%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

xzzy posted:

Anecdotal reports from friends saying they heard gun shots, and twitter chatter that officers were shot at.

https://twitter.com/BernieTafoya/status/1267414853247029248?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Enews%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Thanks.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Carbondale got a little of this Sunday night. A peaceful protest/march, and then, hours later, a series of businesses got stuff stolen.

Given that all the reports are just like 5-7 people, and each smash-and-grab was spaced out, it was probably the same group that did all of it.

quote:

10:52 p.m., Officers responded to alarms from businesses inside the University Mall located at 1237 East Main Street. As officers were arriving, several vehicles were seen leaving from the south side of the parking lot near JC Penny’s. Officers discovered suspects forced entry to and stole property from JC Penny’s, Game Stop, Old Navy, Hibbett Sports and the Finish Line.

At 11:38 p.m. Officers responded to Main Street Liquors and Tobacco at 600 East Main Street in reference to an alarm. Officers arrived and found the business broken into and property stolen. It was discovered there had been 5 to 6 suspects who were described as wearing hooded sweat shirts, masks and gloves.

At 12:34 a.m., Officers responded to an alarm at Blue Fish liquors 2335 Sweets Drive in reference to a report of seven suspects inside the store stealing property. Officers arrived and found the business had been broken into and property stolen. The suspects were described as being both males and females.

At 3:28 a.m. officers responded to Sally’s Beauty Supply, located at 1352 East Main Street in reference to an alarm. Officers arrived and found the business had been broken into and property stolen.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Bobulus posted:

"Officers responded to alarms from businesses inside the University Mall located at 1237 East Main Street. As officers were arriving, several vehicles were seen leaving from the south side of the parking lot near JC Penny’s."

Uh, did officers not think maybe to go over and see what's up with those vehicles?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Sarcastro posted:

Uh, did officers not think maybe to go over and see what's up with those vehicles?

I think in general right now, the cops are being intentionally obtuse about the looting - responding slowly, playing dumb - to kind of show everyone what happens without them or when they don't do their job.

"You hurt my fee-fee's so I'm going to do a bad job!"

It's a loving pathetic tantrum, and we should punish them by loving with their pensions, taking their guns and tactical armor, and giving them nothing but collared shirts and billie clubs from now on.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

LabyaMynora posted:

I think in general right now, the cops are being intentionally obtuse about the looting - responding slowly, playing dumb - to kind of show everyone what happens without them or when they don't do their job.

"You hurt my fee-fee's so I'm going to do a bad job!"

It's a loving pathetic tantrum, and we should punish them by loving with their pensions, taking their guns and tactical armor, and giving them nothing but collared shirts and billie clubs from now on.

Don't give 'em the clubs.

Make them sort poo poo out without tools of violence. gently caress 'em.

They can learn to de-escalate, or get eaten.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013
Easily 100+ cops outside my local precinct right now. Is Bridgeport about to become cool??

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Oak Brook has the mall barricaded at all exits and a checkpoint at the only functioning one. They’ve got cops meeting up in a parking lot and a fleet of dump trucks. It is....some odd suburban cop poo poo, that’s for sure.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
There was a bomb squad call down at 51st, they're a lil nervous probably

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Still nothing too exciting on Peoria, but I haven't checked the news tonight. Weee.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Post poste posted:

Still nothing too exciting on Peoria, but I haven't checked the news tonight. Weee.

Yeah, the only things I ever find on FB are images of protests having happened during daylight hours the day before; nothing about organizing anything coming up. *shrug*

My mom still insists that there are riots in town and it's terrible. :rolleyes:

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Zarin posted:

Yeah, the only things I ever find on FB are images of protests having happened during daylight hours the day before; nothing about organizing anything coming up. *shrug*

My mom still insists that there are riots in town and it's terrible. :rolleyes:

The local mutual aid groups want to start pushing for long term justice. They don't have answers prepared for any questions about it though. Maybe something good will happen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Collectively it's the biggest civil rights protest in the history of the world. Something good better loving come out of it.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Effingham is having a Black Lives Matter protest. My wife is worried about horrible white supremacists more than anything.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

xzzy posted:

Collectively it's the biggest civil rights protest in the history of the world. Something good better loving come out of it.

Collectively, yes. Locally? People talk about shooting anyone who breaks a window. Burning down protestor houses. Trusting the police no matter what.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

Geshtal posted:

That being said, most of the areas Joliet residents were protesting in were peaceful through most of yesterday and even had a dialogue going with authorities. At one point the mayor was out talking with one group (I’d say ‘marching with’ but the rally stayed at one intersection).

Annnnnnnd here's that dialogue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rllO2sdj1Ek

Goddamnit, I give a sliver a credit to our police and administration and then the mayor decides to personally toss around peaceful demonstrators. And I bet he felt like a big tough man with the twenty or so cops marching behind him like rock star groupies. My bad everyone, I somehow forgot that we live in the worst timeline.

Geshtal fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 4, 2020

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Nothing exciting here in Bloomington/Normal since Monday.

Well, there was a youth-led protest yesterday and some incel decided to try and scare people and/or create violence by throwing a blue smoke bomb into the crowd.

The guy was immediately identified because everyone is filming everything all the time now, and he turned himself in.

https://www.wglt.org/post/smoke-device-scare-briefly-disrupts-youth-led-blm-demonstration

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3BYTRLgSjc

Followup to the video posted before, just a few seconds later we see the Joliet Police Department has learned absolutely nothing from any of the protests. The black protester, after being dragged and thrown to the ground by our power-tripping mayor with his own two hands, is on the ground in handcuffs being absolutely wailed on by 4-5 cops in full view of the crowd.

The mayor claims he fell back on his former police training and is now being investigated by the State's Attorney.

Sailor Jerry
May 28, 2013
Pillbug
I'm pleasantly surprised at the amount of BLM protests happening in fairly small towns around the state. Capitol Fax has a story on it, including the very conservative town of Taylorville and the infamously named Anna.

My town of ~6000 is even having one tomorrow afternoon in the heart of Eastern Bloc territory!

https://capitolfax.com/2020/06/05/peaceful-black-lives-matter-protests-pop-up-in-some-surprising-places/

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I will be in Effingham for their rally tomorrow! Helping people register to vote.

Hoping to make a difference.

midwest ink
Aug 12, 2007
black magic, you say?

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I will be in Effingham for their rally tomorrow! Helping people register to vote.

Hoping to make a difference.

If the 2 herniated disc in my back will ease up at all, I am intending to join the Effingham protest. Not sure how much I'll be able to contribute but I really want to show support. I thought about taking coolers of water for the protestors but lifting those would be out of the question right now unfortunately.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

midwest ink posted:

If the 2 herniated disc in my back will ease up at all, I am intending to join the Effingham protest. Not sure how much I'll be able to contribute but I really want to show support. I thought about taking coolers of water for the protestors but lifting those would be out of the question right now unfortunately.

You can sit with me and help people register to vote! Also, I will massage your back if you need it. :dance:

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

midwest ink posted:

Don't feel bad. I want to join in the protests too but because of previous wounds I've suffered I'm worried tear gas would kill or traumatically wound me. I've been tear gassed before so I don't think I'm blowing this out of proportion. I also don't want to get shot again, once was enough. Just do what you can and as long as you don't support the police you are doing your part.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1269064272811905025

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
WTTW got audio from mayor Lightfoot's conference call with the city council and it's great.

https://news.wttw.com/2020/06/05/what-are-we-going-have-left-our-community-aldermen-react-panic-sorrow-unrest

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
I'm not great at what's going on right now. How much of the Lightfoot call stuff is true vs hyperbole?

Googling is vaguely useless right now.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013
Our city is in complete disarray because people like Ray Lopez can't differentiate between facts and Facebook memes.

I was embarrassed enough when it seemed like every white boomer in my neighborhood was falling for this antifa supersoldier poo poo; knowing that it has penetrated to the highest levels of the city is absolutely soul-crushing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Post poste posted:

I'm not great at what's going on right now. How much of the Lightfoot call stuff is true vs hyperbole?

Googling is vaguely useless right now.

What stuff are you talking about?

Did she fortify downtown at the expense of the South and West side? Yup that happened. The fact that she tries to get all high and mighty that she didn't is hilarious since we all watched it live on TV and pretty much everyone knew what was going to happen.

Pretty much everyone involved right now is a moron. Lopez has plenty of actual ammunition to go after Lightfoot with but he is a moron as well. I think there was only two real, smart questions asked and Lightfoot dodged them both which is disturbing. The authoritarian stuff in the call was chilling as well.