Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Barudak posted:

This is entirely a me problem but the fact Desiree Just casually goes "my dead father, Xord" and theres no reaction or response because its not main quest related stinks

I actually think it's brilliant that there is nothing more to this. It's simply just normal conversation and not everyone will discover this little easter egg that is quite a cool worldbuilding tidbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CaptainPsyko posted:

Is there a good "Yo, if you're gonna let the AI play Dunban/Reyn/whoever doesn't suck under AI control, you should probably level up and equip these arts, because the AI sucks less at using them" guide for, well, that?

Seems like it'd be a nice thing to have. I'm kind of at a loss as to how to spend AP on these guys when I just want to let the computer play them most of the time. (Sharla was easy to set up because Sharla's job is very clear and only half the buttons available to her contribute well to that job.)

doubleposting but here's a helpful abbreviated list of stuff you should or should not have on your AI companions:

REYN: Don't bother with Rage and Engage; Berserker is the only Aura you need for a buff+Aura Burst. Rage is just not as good as Berserker and Engage just isn't as good about what it does to warrant leveling it up. Last Stand is also something the AI can't be trusted to utilize so don't bother. Everything else is fine to use but I'd say make sure you top off Berserker, Anchor Chain, and Hammer Beat to keep aggro on him. Equip him with Aura Burst, Wild Down, Shield Bash, and Lariat as well to ensure he can do the best Tank job possible. Use either Sobat or Sword Drive for a burst damage attack.

DUNBAN: Peerless and/or Serene Heart should be prioritized, huge STR buff for everyone and a huge Agility bump. Keep his "standard" Art set of Worldly Slash, Gale Slash, Electric Gutbuster, and Steel Strike on him at all times. Blinding Blossom is a good idea to keep aggro on him while he evades enemies. I'd recommend not taking Spirit Eye since boosted strength is better than Haste overall, though I will say Serene Heart is awesome and can make Dunban untouchable.
On another note, don't give him Heat Haze; you want to build his aggro, not erase it. And of course, never give the AI Final Flicker as it might kill Dunban quickly witht he HP sacrifice.

RIKI: Just follow the lead of upgrading Hero Time, Happy Happy, Lurgy, Burninate, Freezinate, You Can Do It, and Behave. You cover all possible elements, have decent tension/party gauge restore, healing, and the incredible Hero Time buff that can do wondrous things. Don't bother with Play Dead (nowhere near as good an aura as the amazing Hero Time buff) and Roly Poly/Bitey Bitey aren't as good DoT/burst attacks to use. Riki Is Angry is cool if you want him to be tankier but I mainly use other stuff.

I wish I could recommend builds for Sharla and Melia but they're at opposite ends i.e. Sharla is a healbot and there's not much to really say about her except "upgrade all her heal poo poo" and Melia is so complex that idk how the AI even really uses her. I can recommend NOT taking Healing Gift for Melia since it's a "sacrifice HP" ability, which can go wrong quickly, and Auras like Reflect/Power Effect which probably won't be used correctly by the AI either.

edit: oh also forgot: it's worthwhile to put Shadow Stitch on Melia if you are rocking Melia/Sharla/Riki. Idk why on earth you would use this lineup but, since they are all Ether attackers at a range, Binding foes can be a legit strategy while you plink away at them from a distance. This would probably work really well with Shulk/Melia/Riki but it does depend on Melia using it often.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 2, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Possibly not wearing that

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DLC Inc posted:

RIKI: Lurgy,

Not... the dreaded Lurgy!!! :stare:

I'd completely forgotten that was one of his skills.

eeeeee-yackapoo....

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Riki is basically the Nopon version of a mega-chad. Humans can't tell, but to other Nopon his physique is basically that of a greek god.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Riki is basically the Nopon version of a mega-chad. Humans can't tell, but to other Nopon his physique is basically that of a greek god.

Riki's gimmick of his entire race believing him to be the real protagonist was amazing the first time I played the game but it's even better when you realize this tiny Nopon is actually extremely loving powerful and lives up to the ridiculous beliefs.

It's weird that Xenoblade 2 had a lot of great Nopon characters/quests/dialogues and yet the main Nopon you get to play as positively sucks rear end, and the one Nopon you see at all consistently in XCX sucks hardest. I think the best Nopon NPCs ever are still in XC2 though--the one who says "my wife left me but things are otherwise good" in the first area, and another one who is some kind of mercenary but complains how they have stubby legs so their career kind of sucks lol

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Wait do they actually believe that? I thought they were all in on the joke being that it was basically community service that people in debt are forced into.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

DLC Inc posted:

Riki's gimmick of his entire race believing him to be the real protagonist was amazing the first time I played the game but it's even better when you realize this tiny Nopon is actually extremely loving powerful and lives up to the ridiculous beliefs.

Isn't the whole gimmick that only Riki believes this, he's such a nuisance that the 'Heropon' title is just a way to expel problem villagers. Either he saves the world, good job Riki, or he dies and stops being everyone's problem.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

YggiDee posted:

Isn't the whole gimmick that only Riki believes this, he's such a nuisance that the 'Heropon' title is just a way to expel problem villagers. Either he saves the world, good job Riki, or he dies and stops being everyone's problem.

This is exactly it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

PantsBandit posted:

I thought I gave Sharla a nice, classy look. Then a cutscene starts and I realize her pants are assless! Why are you like this, game?

I've just embraced it and made everyone topless. HD shirtless Reyn is something else entirely

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

YggiDee posted:

lol holy gently caress you're right, the real story is even better than I remembered.

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010
Xenoblade fashion decisions should always be made with the goal of making cutscenes as silly as possible.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Riki is made even better when he later drops some fatherly wisdom on another party member. Even the character is taken aback at it. It rules.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

DLC Inc posted:

It's weird that Xenoblade 2 had a lot of great Nopon characters/quests/dialogues and yet the main Nopon you get to play as positively sucks rear end, and the one Nopon you see at all consistently in XCX sucks hardest. I think the best Nopon NPCs ever are still in XC2 though--the one who says "my wife left me but things are otherwise good" in the first area, and another one who is some kind of mercenary but complains how they have stubby legs so their career kind of sucks lol

One of the best nopon recurring characters in XC2 is Niranira, who is a suave 007 type, conducting a very serious and valid internal affairs investigation amidst the zany events of the main story. He's played completely straight and has a great accent, trying to get to the bottom of just what the gently caress is going on.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Chronojam posted:

One of the best nopon recurring characters in XC2 is Niranira, who is a suave 007 type, conducting a very serious and valid internal affairs investigation amidst the zany events of the main story. He's played completely straight and has a great accent, trying to get to the bottom of just what the gently caress is going on.

oh that reminds me of the Nopon who hides behind a house in XC2 I think and peddles in spygate info you can buy or something lol. So many great Nopon in XC2 and yet you get saddled with one of the worst.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tora is a hilarious perverted weeb and I will not stand for people calling him out like this

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tora is helped by Poppi being a cool character. They also both have the best idle animations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Tatsu was just boring and uninteresting and the fun stopped anytime he was onscreen.

Meanwhile, Tora is sharing his cool arcade games with you in his basement, and attempting to achieve new levels of depravity and technical accomplishment beyond what his grandfather could reach. He's got goals and ambitions and cares about things, it's cool that he's a little weirdo.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Tora and his family would have been a lot better if they made a robot nopon maid instead of a weird human fetish robot.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Tora is pretty bad, but Poppi rules, so it balances out in the end.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

IcePhoenix posted:

Tora is a hilarious perverted weeb and I will not stand for people calling him out like this

Tora sucks because he has a Pyra shirt and not a Mythra shirt.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

JTDistortion posted:

Xenoblade fashion decisions should always be made with the goal of making cutscenes as silly as possible.

On that note, DON’T IGNORE THE NOPON ARCHSAGE.

I’ve just picked up Dunban and basically each time a new party member joins, another one of the “fixed party” battles unlocks (hit R2 on his menu to see those).

These are great because they lock in your levels so it doesn’t matter how under/overlevelled you are (and are a great way to learn to drive other characters.)

But what we’re here to talk about is the rewards. These missions unlock/reward armor sets with the new to definitive edition “Resort” set. Reyn has some killer beach gear, reading glasses, a giant gently caress off gold watch, and a tank top. Sharla gets a slutty pirate costume that looks awful, but does come with a fun captains hat. Dunban goes full leisurewear.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

CaptainPsyko posted:

On that note, DON’T IGNORE THE NOPON ARCHSAGE.

I’ve just picked up Dunban and basically each time a new party member joins, another one of the “fixed party” battles unlocks (hit R2 on his menu to see those).

These are great because they lock in your levels so it doesn’t matter how under/overlevelled you are (and are a great way to learn to drive other characters.)

But what we’re here to talk about is the rewards. These missions unlock/reward armor sets with the new to definitive edition “Resort” set. Reyn has some killer beach gear, reading glasses, a giant gently caress off gold watch, and a tank top. Sharla gets a slutty pirate costume that looks awful, but does come with a fun captains hat. Dunban goes full leisurewear.

Is that a loving ROMPER?!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Doing this immediately.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Saxophone posted:

Is that a loving ROMPER?!

I believe the term is Romphim

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Here’s the other three I have so far; there seem to be about 3-4 color ways for each but I’m not farming noponstone and only have a few actual trial unlocks to work with so far.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Reyn lookin like Hank McCoy

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Best game.

I'm glad we're in quarantine because this thing is going to finally motivate me to buy XC2 and Torna after I finish DE and I'm also still trying to make my way through P5 Royal and, eventually, the full Trails series...

Not a bad time for a JRPG fan, even if it's not great times for everything else.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
once you've unlocked an appearance you can safely sell the item(s) right?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Yes. In fact I think it's even across saves. I bought all the fancy new armour in colony 9, realized I'd spent all my savings, reloaded to an earlier file, and I still have those options in the appearance tab.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Takoluka posted:

Tora sucks because he has a Pyra shirt and not a Mythra shirt.

this is an acceptable criticism

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is there a way to disable the cosmetic appearances? I put some appearance on for some characters' various but now when I get new armor I don't know what it actually looks like. I don't see a way to clear it.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Press plus on the equipment screen, you have the option to clear you appearance slots.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Never got past an hour into the 3DS version of this before, really enjoying it in chapter 7.

Can enemies remove auras from your teammates? I'm almost at the point where Dunban can maintain full up-time with only two auras and I'd love to reclaim the bar space for Tempest Kick since it looks good.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

DLC Inc posted:

The secret best Nopon in XC2 is the one you meet late in the game who wants to be a Driver. Her friends are frantically looking for her after she falls off The World Tree so you head down to rescue her. When you find her, she's bonded to a doggo Blade and has been summarily kicking the rear end of every monster she comes across, but still needs your help getting back

She's great and I wish she joined the party.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Is there any reason why I should keep rank 1 gem materials? I can already craft rank 2 and 3

e: Also now I feel terrible :( Apparently an answer I gave back in chapter 2 or 3 has caused Francoise and Arnaut to divorce. woops is there anything I can do to fix this?

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 2, 2020

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

If you buy Art manuals from Time Attack mode, does it unlock all levels for that Art, or do you still have to get the second and third level manuals first?

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Just lol if you don't make your Dunban a shirtless beach bum with a katana, headband and flip flops as soon as you can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dunban reminds us all that sidecapes are cool and underrepresented in media.