Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What did it matter?
This poll is closed.
The mod squad (FORUM FRIENDS) has edited the poll 11 1.38%
And inserted their good jokes 4 0.50%
While the rest of you laugh 9 1.13%
Bowsette 103 12.88%
347 43.38%
killer comedy option $69,420.69 15 1.88%
big bandicoot baps 311 38.88%
Total: 800 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

homeless snail posted:

anti cheat and drm are different things so thats a particularly brain dead thing to say

Imagine me as taking a bold and principled stand against anti-cheat or whatever else people are pretending to give a poo poo about also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ill just imagine you flailing at your keyboard trying and failing to score some kind of own on someone instead

oops guess i dont have to imagine it lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think you have the wrong idea.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

exquisite tea posted:

Imagine me as taking a bold and principled stand against anti-cheat or whatever else people are pretending to give a poo poo about also.

When someone snipes my entire team from their teams spawn to mine 3 seconds into the round? Good actually

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/Zwifu/status/1267874297672019970?s=20

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Maneater's narration is hilarious

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SeXReX posted:

When someone snipes my entire team from their teams spawn to mine 3 seconds into the round? Good actually

Should've gotten good and sniped them two seconds in

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rinkles posted:

don't know how true this is, but i heard that zelda 2 has more of a cult following in japan than in the states. like it's one of the more beloved games in the series.

There's a Japanese retro wiki I use which basically collects opinions on games and Zelda 2 is a game rated positively there, but all of the exact same complaints US players had are said there. They also say it's not a popular game; just one with some dedicated defenders.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the problem is that if you dont do ring 0 anti cheat in 2020 you end up like rainbow six siege where theres so much hacking its demolishing the game, and nearly all effective anticheats run kernel level already. youre probably also running a bunch of drivers or other software already that have that level of access and often without any reason to.

the big difference is it running constantly rather than just with the game but im going to give u a big spoiler alert that most of the useful anticheat is going to move to that as well and its up to you whether this is bad or good.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Its Bad

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

its the nature of having to block hacks in modern online games and theres no real way to avoid it other than to not bother and have it turn into a complete mess

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
ring 0 or no, online games, esp shooters, will always be cesspools until their companies actively and effectively moderate them, which they never will.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Relax Or DIE posted:

ring 0 or no, online games, esp shooters, will always be cesspools until their companies actively and effectively moderate them, which they never will.

what would that involve? hundreds of spectating mods?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Remembering how that one girl found out how to hack together a way to "play" as an Octoling in the first Splatoon, but because of how the online plaza worked if her modded character showed up in your plaza randomly it could lock up your game, crash the system, gently caress the whole console.

What I'm saying is Animal Crossing needs more anti-cheat. Now more than ever.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Rinkles posted:

Seems like match logging and a report queue would be the best way, but probably a huge PITA to implement.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

I said come in! posted:

I was reading a lot of stuff about how Valorants Anti-Cheat software is pretty intrusive and sketchy. How much truth is there to this? Are these reports overblown?
By necessity, a kernel level driver is a potential vulnerability vector that wouldn't have been there otherwise so even assuming Riot aren't doing stuff they shouldn't with it they necessarily have less of a stake in your computer's security than you do (because by definition, if they did they wouldn't have installed a kernel level driver in the first place), and there is no guarantee that hackers can't piggyback on their anti-cheat.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

on one hand I understand that ring 0 sounds like a good idea when you've been working on anticheat for Riot for so long that you've stopped trusting any device more advanced than a toaster

on the other hand, the last 30 years of computer security have been spent getting people to not give full control over the system to this one weird game they downloaded online

overeager overeater fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 2, 2020

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

overeager overeater posted:

on the other hand, the last 30 years of computer security have been spent getting people to not give full control over the system to this one weird game they downloaded online

Fortunately for Riot the last 30 years of computer security failed at that really badly

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I will probably just stick to Rainbow Six Siege then, and now I wait patiently for someone to explain how that game has anti-cheat that is not any better.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Andrast posted:

Fortunately for Riot the last 30 years of computer security failed at that really badly

No, I actually enjoy Uplay throwing fifty UAC warnings if you deign to run it as anything less than SYSTEM

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There are lots of platforms Riot could choose from that only run preapproved software in the first place, but most of them don't have mouse/keyboard control

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Every single time I ever tried to buy something on Uplay it crashed.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

RBA Starblade posted:

Every single time I ever tried to buy something on Uplay it crashed.

Lending credence to the theory that it's just an elaborate money laundering scheme.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

it doesn't gain anything running at startup, you could still run your hacks before it if you had to. what are they gonna do next, make you install the riot bootloader

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the main outcome of anti cheat systems moving to ring 0 so far has been forcing people to update old vulnerable drivers and stop running garbage overclocking and monitoring utils that inexplicably have driver level access

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rinkles posted:

If you aren't going to let people host servers like back in the day :corsair: at the very least let people rent servers so they can kick people themselves. It worked well in bf3 and 4 since you could stick with better servers that had active admins that would kick / ban people who were cheating.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I will probably just stick to Rainbow Six Siege then, and now I wait patiently for someone to explain how that game has anti-cheat that is not any better.

rainbow six siege is a stand out as a modern shooter with anti cheat that isnt ring 0 and the end result is hackers being able to do stuff like freeze a lobby for 5 hours if theyre going to lose to make everyone leave and give them a win and it has by far the worst issues with hackers of all.

the other option is to do what warzone does where it relies mostly on reports but then requires every single account be tied to a valid and current phone number that can recieve sms to verify and then if youre banned you cant make a new account on that number. personally id rather just have the ring 0 anti cheat though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Stux posted:

the main outcome of anti cheat systems moving to ring 0 so far has been forcing people to update old vulnerable drivers and stop running garbage overclocking and monitoring utils that inexplicably have driver level access
what a benevolent rootkit

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
m ost of the enemies in batman arkham origins are cops

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

If you aren't going to let people host servers like back in the day :corsair: at the very least let people rent servers so they can kick people themselves. It worked well in bf3 and 4 since you could stick with better servers that had active admins that would kick / ban people who were cheating.

i would champion the return of private servers, but if they did that they may not be able to lockdown their cosmetic micro-transaction economy, plus if you find one you like you may choose to play out of liking the game and the social space and not because of ladder/rank grinding and FOMO

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

homeless snail posted:

it doesn't gain anything running at startup, you could still run your hacks before it if you had to. what are they gonna do next, make you install the riot bootloader

Dear God, don't give them ideas

(Comedy option: they could make you run games in an SGX enclave, finally giving it a use beyond writing research papers)

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I don't play online multiplayer anything so I don't care about anti-cheat.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

all the effective anti cheat software is ring 0 and either has or likely will be moving to running at startup in the near future because gamers have a chronic problem with running software that is insecure at the driver level and that has been by a gigantic margin the most common vector for hacking

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I've been a PC gamer for like two weeks and I think I'm getting that wrist disease you get from keyboards

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

Would like to humbly propose a 100% effective anticheat scheme where the game itself runs as an isolated instance on a server provided by a trusted third party, and you simply stream video of the running game to the player and pass their controller inputs back to the server

I think Google would be an excellent candidate to run a service like that

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I've been a PC gamer for like two weeks and I think I'm getting that wrist disease you get from keyboards
necrotizing fasciitis?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

homeless snail posted:

necrotizing fasciitis?

gently caress I hope that's not it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Gripweed posted:

if you've got a poorly set up desk/chair/keyboard/mouse you can start getting pains very quickly. unfortunately, sometimes there's only so much you can do without buying new furniture.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Rinkles posted:

if you've got a poorly set up desk/chair/keyboard/mouse you can start getting pains very quickly. unfortunately, sometimes there's only so much you can do without buying new furniture.

I know they make those boob mousepads that are supposed to help, but it's my leg wrist, my typing hand. So a boob mousepad would be useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

supposedly wrist rests are actually bad for your wrists, because all the pressure is concentrated on the wrist