Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

With free movement between states, the patchwork of laws regarding plates and tags and traffic laws just causes confusion and presents opportunities for the cops to gently caress with you. It's completely unrealistic that individual motorists need to know the changes in road laws between states.

It's like 95% all the same, but that last 5% is all unnecessary confusion and waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
If you don't have a front plate how do automated parking lots work?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I've never seen those in the U.S. The closest are ones that are paid by a regional toll transponder.

Edit: to be clear, parking lots have a pay station with credit card machine that you pay before you leave. You grab a paper ticket when you enter. There can be an attendant at the enter / exit too. Some lower tech ones here just have you put cash in a slot and a guy comes around every few hours to collect it.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 2, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Take a picture of your rear plate? Use a transponder?

All of our automated lots use a ticket system though. Ticket at entrance, pay before you exit.

PA just permanently went 100% cashless on the Turnpike today. It was supposed to happen in 2022, but they've been operating that way under the pandemic for the past 2.5 months. Cashless toll collection seems to work just fine with rear plate only if you don't have a transponder.

The front plate is really only needed as an extra redundancy for things like toll collection in case the rear is unreadable for some reason. I'd be willing to bet though the money spent on double the plates far outweighs the correction for unreadable rear plates.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

dissss posted:

Here in Florida anything that is patrolled by the police's parking crew just means it is a ticket-catching offence to back into a spot. Street parking obviously doesn't matter.
For our tolls it's all automated and you get a little ticket in the mail, with a picture of your car, rear plate in plain, readable view.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Charles posted:

I've never seen those in the U.S. The closest are ones that are paid by a regional toll transponder.

Edit: to be clear, parking lots have a pay station with credit card machine that you pay before you leave. You grab a paper ticket when you enter. There can be an attendant at the enter / exit too. Some lower tech ones here just have you put cash in a slot and a guy comes around every few hours to collect it.

US is moving to plate based toll systems rather than transponders

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

dissss posted:

I'm pretty sure most of those use rear plates.

Charles posted:

Plate based tolls absolutely exist in the US and will become more common.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

In PA, it's a tiered system.

You pay less for tolls if you use a transponder since it's easier for them to collect tolls. The plate based billing gets charged at cash rates since it costs them more to mail out a bill and likely have pursue delinquent balances more often.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bull3964 posted:

You pay less for tolls if you use a transponder since it's easier for them to collect tolls. The plate based billing gets charged at cash rates since it costs them more to mail out a bill and likely have pursue delinquent balances more often.

Same in MA but in the end it's gonna go to plate based.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Same in MA but in the end it's gonna go to plate based.

And then rear mounted bike racks will be banned a year or two later!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Midjack posted:

mashallah

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Midjack posted:

They are already illegal if they conceal the plate.

You're supposed to use something like this.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

bull3964 posted:

I think where plate-based systems are used in Canada, you can pay ahead by entering your license plate and you'll get the reduced rate since they don't have to mail you a bill and figure out all that poo poo.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

US is moving to plate based toll systems rather than transponders

Inner Light posted:

Plate based tolls absolutely exist in the US and will become more common.

Yeah they've had that here for years but the parking garages in Europe are still different than what we have here, at least from what I've seen so far.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I am pretty sure that they want the FRONT plates here in :ca: because the private automated traffic light camera operators require a pic of your front plate along with your mug for the $475 ticket they send you. The current car I picked up in November 2019 didn't have a FLP installed, but I have the Skene design bracket ready to go if I get harassed about it.

I actually got 2 "fix it tickets" while parked at a mall back in the early 2000's.

Re: the ugly faced new BMW coupe, some smartass should make a replacement grill that replaces it with a smaller, normal sized grill and just fills in the rest.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 2, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yup, a cash grab with no safety benefits. There's no reason to structure our laws to make that easier. There's next to zero legitimate safety or convenience reasons to require a front plate.

People like to cite witnesses for crimes, but you'd be lucky if a witness remembers what color a car is correctly, let alone the full plate number.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

to be clear i'm in favor of rear plate only, but federally mandated

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Eyud posted:

Lots more pictures of the new 4:

https://www.caranddriver.com/photos/g32732023/2021-bmw-4-series-coupe-photos-info-gallery/

Looks quite good but it’s making me wonder: can you get away with not putting on a front license plate in Europe? My state requires them but I just haven’t put it on and cops don’t seem to notice or care. Presumably if I got pulled over for something else they’d tack that on but it’d be such a small fine I’m not too worried about it.

Bimmerpost has a bunch of info too.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1726459

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I dunno if I was a woman being tailed by a stalker I'd like to call in a license plate from the rear view mirror.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Charles posted:

I dunno if I was a woman being tailed by a stalker I'd like to call in a license plate from the rear view mirror.

Again, think about the logistics of that for a second. You have someone who's potentially scared, wanting them to operate a phone, try to pick out backwards numbers/letters in the rearview mirror and then repeat them back to someone else while driving.

Then what if it's a night rather than during the day (the most likely situation where this may happen), front plates aren't lighted and the glare from headlights is going to make it next to impossible to read from the rearview mirror.

Better to just call the police, say someone is following you and where you are, and arrange for a meeting location for an officer.

Not to mention that most stalkers are someone the person already knows and could just tell police "so and so has been following me all day."

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

I'm not one of those guys but this is a car that only comes with a slushbox and probably fake engine noises in the cabin. :geno:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm not one of those guys but this is a car that only comes with a slushbox and probably fake engine noises in the cabin. :geno:

All BMW have fake engine noises.

I just realized that this thing is auto only. What's the point even, I'll have a Lexus instead.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Russian Bear posted:

All BMW have fake engine noises.

I just realized that this thing is auto only. What's the point even, I'll have a Lexus instead.

It’s a reasonably comfortable modern car that feels moderately sporty, that’s the point.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I just find it so funny that every single picture has a big rear end plate blocking the even bigger kidney grill.
There is no way that wasnt intentional or planned to minimize the grill size discussion.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Lol this is gonna cost more than a C8 Corvette once you add heated seats. Yeah, the C8 isn't a good-looking car, but neither is this!

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s a reasonably comfortable modern car that feels moderately sporty, that’s the point.

Oh so sorry, unfortunately that was not the answer we were looking for. The correct answer was, "It looks moderately expensive, slight sporty and has a BMW badge", so close though. Better luck next time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Franco Caution posted:

I just find it so funny that every single picture has a big rear end plate blocking the even bigger kidney grill.
There is no way that wasnt intentional or planned to minimize the grill size discussion.

maybe?

the other funny thing is a lot of the big rear end grilles aren't functional. my father in law had a loaner 7-series and its a bottom breather, all of that panel is blanked off for electronics. :wtc:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

https://twitter.com/500f3/status/1267940454621827072?s=19

I saw a variation with the grille removed entirely and it looked every bit as generic as a Tesla.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

Franco Caution posted:

The vast majority of the world requires front plates, it's kind of important how a car looks with a front plate. That BMW definitely looks better with one

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

BMW also failed to fix the hood cut line like they did with the 3 series, but I guess they didn't many options due to the grille.

Also that grille'a gonna look hilarious with North American size plates.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

smooth jazz posted:

Also that grille'a gonna look hilarious with North American size plates.

Front plates would be a lot less stylistically egregious if we used euro-style plates. Heck, rear plates, too.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

https://twitter.com/500f3/status/1267940454621827072?s=19

I saw a variation with the grille removed entirely and it looked every bit as generic as a Tesla.

I love that the elongated grilles make the cars look like Hitler.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Q_res posted:

Oh so sorry, unfortunately that was not the answer we were looking for. The correct answer was, "It looks moderately expensive, slight sporty and has a BMW badge", so close though. Better luck next time.

It’s a RWD coupe that hit 60 in less than 6 seconds, it is moderately sporty. It’s not a sports car, but it’s not supposed to be. And not having a manual doesn’t fundamentally change anything about the character of the car. If it’s pointless now it’s been pointless for years, just like every other entry level luxury sport coupe.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

TheMadMilkman posted:

I’m Utah failure to have a front plate isn’t a primary offense, so you can’t be pulled over for just that.

They’re trying to change that, apparently.

I would probably risk driving without a front plate if only cops could ticket you for it, but here in Oregon parking enforcement is allowed to as well so you're pretty much hosed if you do any street parking.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Gasoline posted:

The vast majority of the world requires front plates, it's kind of important how a car looks with a front plate. That BMW definitely looks better with one

I get that most places require plates. Im saying its rare that they get used for photo shoots or reveals. Examples, go look at Mazda, MB, Nissan, VW, etc home pages or photo galleries. No front plates.
Maybe its a Euro thing?
Peugeot page photos all seem to have front plates.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Relevant to new car discussion: GM will charge you up to $40 for a front license plate bracket on a factory fresh vehicle.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Franco Caution posted:

Peugeot page photos all seem to have front plates.
I think so. I’ve read/watched a few reviews on it and all the European reviewers mention that having no front plates in Europe is a very big no-no.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Minto Took posted:

Relevant to new car discussion: GM will charge you up to $40 for a front license plate bracket on a factory fresh vehicle.

I believe they all do this if you're in a state where it's required? It's an optional accessory in many cases, I remember that being a line item on invoices for Ford and Kia cars I've bought.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

If by all, you mean all car companies, my factory fresh Toyota came with a front plate bracket and it wasn't a line item. It just seems like a lovely thing to do to charge your customers who need one because law requires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Both my BRZ and Golf R came with them in the trunk at no extra itemized cost even though my state doesn't even have front plates.