Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/06/01/2012-retina-macbook-pro-obsolete-june-30/

Apple's First MacBook Pro With a Retina Display Will Become 'Obsolete' in 30 Days

quote:

If you are still hanging on to a Mid 2012 model of the 15-inch MacBook Pro with a Retina display, and require a new battery or other repairs, be sure to book an appointment with a service provider as soon as possible.

In an internal memo today, obtained by MacRumors, Apple has indicated that this particular MacBook Pro model will be marked as "obsolete" worldwide on June 30, 2020, just over eight years after its release. In a support document, Apple notes that obsolete products are no longer eligible for hardware service, with "no exceptions."

Apple already classified the 2012 MacBook Pro as "vintage" in 2018, but it has still continued to service the notebook as part of a pilot program, subject to parts availability. With the 2012 MacBook Pro transitioning to "obsolete" status at the end of this month, it would appear that the notebook will no longer be eligible for any official repairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It's a slow news day for MacRumors to be trumpeting this poo poo like it's a sign of the end times.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Out of curiousity, do 3rd parties still do battery replacement on obsolete models, or are you just SOL?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Out of curiousity, do 3rd parties still do battery replacement on obsolete models, or are you just SOL?

As long as you can get the parts. iFixIt is still selling them

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Mac/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Retina-Mid-2012-Early-2013-Battery/IF117-047?o=5

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I had a question relating to Mac hardware, specifically the old Thunderbolt display they used to make. Essentially my wife has one that she uses with her old Macbook which is on it's last legs. Can the Thunderbolt display be connected to a non-Mac? Is there an adaptor or such like to convert it into a more regular display type. It's the kinda square Thunderbolt connector, maybe thunderbolt 2? I can't see anything on the monitor itself to suggest a model of display.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer

I ended up ordering the 4-port MBP just a few days ago after taking the advice of the thread and upgrading from my specced up 2020 MBA. Cancelled that post-haste and re-ordered from Best Buy.

Saving $200 really takes the sting off my (somewhat) frivolous upgrade. Thank you!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

ugh, why is it only the space grey ones?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

abelwingnut posted:

ugh, why is it only the space grey ones?

Because those probably outsell the silver ones 3/1 and they have a bunch ordered

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Aramoro posted:

I had a question relating to Mac hardware, specifically the old Thunderbolt display they used to make. Essentially my wife has one that she uses with her old Macbook which is on it's last legs. Can the Thunderbolt display be connected to a non-Mac? Is there an adaptor or such like to convert it into a more regular display type. It's the kinda square Thunderbolt connector, maybe thunderbolt 2? I can't see anything on the monitor itself to suggest a model of display.

It should connect to anything that works with Thunderbolt 2 or 3 with the adapter. For thunderbolt 2 you can probably count on one hand the number of PC motherboards that work and you'd likely know if you bought it. For TB3 you just have to make sure it's a full TB3 port and not a regular USB-C one. In either case on a PC you can probably look for the TB icon as a hint.

It might suck on a PC though because all the (nonexistent) controls assume you're running a mac.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Aramoro posted:

Ugh. I've done this a few times; to get it to connect to a current TB3 Mac, you have to buy a third party TB3 to TB2 converter; Apple's converter tends not to work with the TB display.

https://www.cablematters.com/pc-800-131-thunderbolt-3-to-thunderbolt-adapter-for-windows.aspx

Used this same adapter to hook up to a Dell XPS 13 with a single Thunderbolt 3 port.

But also what MrBond says; good luck finding the escape sequences to increase / decrease brightness for the Thunderbolt Display on a Windows keyboard that are standard on a Mac keyboard.. although I suspect if you Google hard enough you'll discover that someone may have already written a binding on the Windows side for it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My Macbook Air from 2012 finally bit the dust. It was a workhorse and aside from a battery replacement I did 3 years ago it was a champ.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sold my Cinema Display when the usb-c macs came out

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I’m still using FireWire as of now. There’s no reason to upgrade a good audio interface as long as it still functions and the Thunderbolt adapter works just fine.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I too am still rocking my FireWire audio interface via dongle-life. Converers, pre-amps and features (MOTU) are still solid compared to what's out there these days, doesn't seem worth replacing mainly just to change the connection interface as long as dongles continue to work.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

*glares at his FireWire interface he still hasn’t been able to get working*

But yeah, exactly why I went FW. Those internals are way better than what’s available on the budget end if you buy new right now.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Hmm I'm having a weird issue with my new MacBook Pro where the screen tint will suddenly shift from more blue to more orange. It's not due to night mode (that's turned off) but it's very jarring when it happens.

Some googling seems to suggests it's happened to previous models before.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Do you have True Tone on?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Little bit frustrated here. Refurbing a friends 2009 MBP15. Just cleaned it out completely and repasted. Fans are running at the correctly rated max speed. CPU is hitting Tjmax at 105C under synthetic load and forced full fans. The heatsink did look a bit paltry so maybe the 2009s were not designed to operate at full load for extended periods? Also can't seem to find any tools that show real time CPU clocks for this older CPU. Something I miss from win10 task manager. Intel power gadget doesn't support Core2. Intel MacCPUID doesn't seem to show real time clocks either. I've opened that up when the CPU was 105C and it was still showing full speed.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Honj Steak posted:

I’m still using FireWire as of now. There’s no reason to upgrade a good audio interface as long as it still functions and the Thunderbolt adapter works just fine.

I think first party Firewire audio drivers all bit the dust. Maybe there are some still holding on? I was able to get some working on Mojave el cap(?) but I haven't tried with the newer releases. My 2012 MBP still has firewire and is still supported.

A lot of interface functionality isn't exposed unless you use the first party driver.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 2, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
My workspace these days.

Getting ready to pull the main board for a repaste on a 17". New battery too.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Shaocaholica posted:

I think first party Firewire audio drivers all bit the dust. Maybe there are some still holding on? I was able to get some working on Mojave(?) but I haven't tried with the newer releases. My 2012 MBP still has firewire and is still supported.

A lot of interface functionality isn't exposed unless you use the first party driver.

I’m using RME and they still supply drivers for even the most ancient interfaces. There is no real reason to upgrade if everything still works in the audio world. It’s not like the preamps actually sound better than the ones from 10 years ago.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
It's one thing if you're using it for a hobby, but if you're depending on it to make revenue, you should still have an exit plan. Depending on an obsolete interface, even if the equipment is working today, is a ticking time bomb. It's better to make a transition when you're not completely down and stuff is breathing down your neck. Especially given that 10.16 is going to have a brand new driver model without kexts.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
My FW interface, which was release in 2008 IIRC, still has first party driver support at least through High Sierra (which is what I'm using because I'm cool). It does look like they stopped with the driver updates there though, so my guess is Mojave might work, but Catalina probably won't. The continued driver support was something I took for granted, but that's definitely much more of an issue / push to upgrade than the connection interface / dongle-life.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

kefkafloyd posted:

It's one thing if you're using it for a hobby, but if you're depending on it to make revenue, you should still have an exit plan. Depending on an obsolete interface, even if the equipment is working today, is a ticking time bomb. It's better to make a transition when you're not completely down and stuff is breathing down your neck. Especially given that 10.16 is going to have a brand new driver model without kexts.

That’s why I only update my second Mac first to check if everything still works and if it doesn’t I won’t update MacOS on my work computer until it’s really necessary or if I feel inclined to get a new interface. I’m recording classical musicians - that’s lots of work before the sound gets into the computer but not so much anymore when you have it all recorded. I know some sound engineers who are still on Snow Leopard because they don’t need more. Reliability is better than new features in 99% if cases in that business, and FireWire interfaces in MacOS tend to be super reliable.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

My workspace these days.

Noice

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Honj Steak posted:

That’s why I only update my second Mac first to check if everything still works and if it doesn’t I won’t update MacOS on my work computer until it’s really necessary or if I feel inclined to get a new interface. I’m recording classical musicians - that’s lots of work before the sound gets into the computer but not so much anymore when you have it all recorded. I know some sound engineers who are still on Snow Leopard because they don’t need more. Reliability is better than new features in 99% if cases in that business, and FireWire interfaces in MacOS tend to be super reliable.

Hey, at least you've got a plan, which is good. But I've seen too many people lose because they didn't plan or were in too deep on something and when the reaper came a'calling they had nowhere to go.

But I work in the print industry, and I've installed (and fixed) a lot of old and weird poo poo. I was still patching together people running NT4 RIPs in 2009 with multiple proprietary hardware boards that I had to physically cut because they were specced out wrong and couldn't fit in new chassis. I don't miss those at all.I just resuscitated a customer today depending on a SCSI interface to a very old piece of equipment that itself won't be supported for much longer (and it costs a hell of a lot more than firewire audio interfaces). And that's already using a bodge due to high differential versus low differential.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
It's nice to have discreet devices that don't run a desktop OS. Desktop OS dependency is death. At least with software you can virtualize old OSes and hardware. Physical hardware more difficult. I still have 2x G5s, 3x G4s and 2x G3s in my pocket for god knows what.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Shaocaholica posted:

My workspace these days.

Nice looking setup!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

beefnoodle posted:

Nice looking setup!

It's pretty hodge podge I just wanted to work outside and not much table space inside can't go anywhere else (buddy has a shop) lockdowns and riots.

I think I'll setup a 2nd work mat next time.

Also, it is done.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 2, 2020

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Little bit frustrated here. Refurbing a friends 2009 MBP15. Just cleaned it out completely and repasted. Fans are running at the correctly rated max speed. CPU is hitting Tjmax at 105C under synthetic load and forced full fans. The heatsink did look a bit paltry so maybe the 2009s were not designed to operate at full load for extended periods? Also can't seem to find any tools that show real time CPU clocks for this older CPU. Something I miss from win10 task manager. Intel power gadget doesn't support Core2. Intel MacCPUID doesn't seem to show real time clocks either. I've opened that up when the CPU was 105C and it was still showing full speed.
Sounds about right for a Mac. If you can’t find anything for the CPU speed I guess use a benchmark as the synthetic load and compare the performance over time.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I think cinebench has (overall) speed and power graphs, just not per-core.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Apple currently has 29 Mac Pros up for sale in the Refurb section.

They range from the standard 8 core to the 28 core versions..

They all have Vega II Duos and Apple Afterburners.. makes me think some effects house decided they had enough of Apple's bullshit and went and bought Dell Workstations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Haha lol. Don’t know about FX specifically. Most FX places are already on PC/Linux. Maybe a post/edit house but it’s not that easy to just switch unless they we’re already running fast and loose. My studio has the money to switch hardware/software to whatever whenever but the institutional knowledge of avid and the proprietary tools and pipeline make it difficult to switch to anything else not that we would want to. I honestly don’t work in that world enough to know which grass is greener for our use case. I just know I hate after effects.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Correction, they all have Vega II or Vega II Duos.

One possible clue lies in BareFeats's Blackmagic RAW speed tests..

One huge sore point that sticks out is the Blackmagic RAW Metal test.

Blackmagic posted:

Blackmagic RAW Speed Test is a CPU and GPU benchmarking tool that customers can use to test the speed of decoding full resolution Blackmagic RAW frames on their system. Multiple CPU cores and GPUs are automatically detected and used during the test so that customers get accurate and realistic results.

Here's what BF discovered:

It's super sad that a 2013 TrashCan with the top of the line D700s beats either a Vega II or Vega II Duo (and incidentally the Vega in iMac Pros..) the D700s have only 6 GB of VRAM and older Tahiti architecture vs. the supposed super duper Navi architecture with 16 GB of VRAM. And the iMac Pros are from 2017! An older Mac beating a newer one in Metal?! WTF?!

I'd be willing to bet it's probably AMD needing to tweak its graphics drivers, as they are infamous for needing to update their drivers several times on the Windows side before they're really optimized.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 3, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Well Apple is trying to secure that prores raw patent from Red. I honestly wouldn’t mind prores raw if it were licensed for free but I also don’t care for Red as a poo poo company so whatever.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Holy poo poo I just plugged in headphones for the first time since doing a clean install of 10.14 on a 2009 MBP15 and the audio balance was a whole notch over to the left. Noticed it right away when playing audio. The audio drift is real.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've had that audio drift problem on my iBook G3 in like 2003

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I mean I usually don't plug in headphones into the analog jack ever. This is probably the first time I've done that in a long time.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
I have to get a new computer for school that’s a recent MBP or spec equivalent and I’m having a hard time deciding if I should get a base model 2020 13” or upgrade to the 10th gen version. I know the thread probably thinks 10th gen but it’s a lot of money for compute I’m not sure I need. The RAM would be nice for music production but the only graphics intensive thing I do is play video games. I am worried that only having 2x I/O ports will be annoying. Alternatively I could just get an XPS 13 but I already have an iPhone and just had to also buy an iPad for school too so idk about that. I have never owned a Mac before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

AverySpecialfriend posted:

The RAM would be nice for music production but the only graphics intensive thing I do is play video games

10th gen iGPU is at least 2x faster in games (but it's still an iGPU)