Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I used to have 2 hours daily commute (1 hour each way) just to get from one part of a big city to another, but it was on trams/trains/buses so I could just read something to stay sane, if you had to drive that much every day it would be horrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

vyelkin posted:

I used to have 2 hours daily commute (1 hour each way) just to get from one part of a big city to another, but it was on trams/trains/buses so I could just read something to stay sane, if you had to drive that much every day it would be horrible

Same. People asked me why I didn't just drive and it was baffling. The distance is like 6 miles, it's just insane traffic every day. It took longer to drive than it did to take the circuitous train route.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

kcer posted:

i've been reading your ylls bike posts because seeing everyone buy new bikes made me also want to get a newer bike but you can't buy them for love nor money here right now

You're in the UK, yeah? Try Decathlon. I got one off their Irish site a while back, seem to have more stock than anywhere else.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
When I lived in Atlanta I commuted 25 miles in my lovely Corolla each direction and I wanted to die. I wonder how many cumulative weeks I spent sitting on I-285 with traffic not moving.

I've been a fully remote computer toucher for 3 years now and it's been the biggest quality of life improvement I can imagine.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Mickolution posted:

You're in the UK, yeah? Try Decathlon. I got one off their Irish site a while back, seem to have more stock than anywhere else.

B-Twin quality is kind of hit-or-miss in my experience. Most of the time it's OK but you'll get a surprise product that wears out super quick.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

Bape Culture posted:

If I had to buy a merc I’d have an e63 wagon op

Agreed but there is a significant difference in tax bands over here between them. Means it will be easier to move on as well.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Brass Hand posted:

Agreed but there is a significant difference in tax bands over here between them. Means it will be easier to move on as well.

I had an m9 at my last job who married an Irish woman and lived there for the better part of a decade. He told me that buying a car in Ireland is one of the most expensive places to do it in Europe, is that true?

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

Mickolution posted:

drat that's a good idea, i'll have a look

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

greazeball posted:

B-Twin quality is kind of hit-or-miss in my experience. Most of the time it's OK but you'll get a surprise product that wears out super quick.

It was as much it being the only place I could find that had anything in my price range. I don't know anything about bikes, really. It's just for getting round the city and with that city being Dublin, it'll more than likely be stolen before it has a chance to wear out on me.

kcer posted:

drat that's a good idea, i'll have a look

It was hit and miss with which sizes they had. Irish store isn't open yet, though, so stock might be handled differently. Only took 3 days or so for delivery.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Your employer may have a help to buy scheme on bikes. Mine does but gently caress cycling I'm a tram b*tch

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Weaponized Cum posted:

How on the world did you commute for 3 hours A DAY and not go insane?

Podcasts and a Switch helped out a lot.

But yeah, I was starting to go insane. Ironically this pandemic couldn't have come at a better time for me.

I've been taking like 75% of the money I was spending on trains and donating it to food banks and anyone else I can help out.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

Gigi Galli posted:

I had an m9 at my last job who married an Irish woman and lived there for the better part of a decade. He told me that buying a car in Ireland is one of the most expensive places to do it in Europe, is that true?

Correct OP, for a new car at least. We pay VAT @23% on new cars and a Vehicle Registration Tax which is based on the CO2 emissions of the car which goes from 14% (anything below say a Prius)of the price of the car (including the cost of any options, not the sticker price!) to...36%.

So for something like a Golf, we pay €31,500 where someone in the UK is paying €27,700 or thereabouts.

For something like the Giulia, the UK sticker price is about €66,000. In Ireland....€99,945 so 100k new lmao. Worse still is to keep the prices somewhat competitive with the UK, they have to strip equipment from the cars so for an equivalent trim you may be short a few things on an Irish car.

That’s why nearly everyone imports a used car from the UK as used prices are so cheap. For the price of a flight (can be €20-30 if you are lucky) and the boat back home with the car (€140) you can save megabucks on some cars. The car has to be over six months old though.

:doit:

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
And that’s before you have even taxed the car to drive it. Highest tax band is 226g CO2/km is €2350. So your car has cost you €195 each month before you have even turned a wheel. Giulia would be €1200 thanks to whatever bullshit they did in the official testing.

Mad about car taxes irl.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
finished cleaning my carpets and they were filthy

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
We bought a new hoover last week and the difference over the old henry was just insane

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Jose posted:

finished cleaning my carpets and they were filthy

Did you trim them too?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

tarbrush posted:

Amazing. Buy a decent office chair!

Gigi Galli posted:

Any tech company that won’t allow this in the future will rapidly lose employees. It’s good.

I worked for a big enterprise tech company for awhile and 6-7 years ago when I started to be able to work remote 100%, I "liberated" a couple of Herman Miller Aeron chairs from our local office to use in my home office.

When I was eventually RIF'd (for completely unrelated/reorg reasons), there were no asset tags associated with the chairs (or multiple FP monitors for whatever reason) so I kept 'em :chord:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Jose posted:

Rug doctor

Is this like that treatment clinic Nasri went to but for Conte?

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

Bundy posted:

Is this like that treatment clinic Nasri went to but for Conte?

:hmmyes:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

sticksy posted:

I worked for a big enterprise tech company for awhile and 6-7 years ago when I started to be able to work remote 100%, I "liberated" a couple of Herman Miller Aeron chairs from our local office to use in my home office.

When I was eventually RIF'd (for completely unrelated/reorg reasons), there were no asset tags associated with the chairs (or multiple FP monitors for whatever reason) so I kept 'em :chord:

:golfclap:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

sticksy posted:

I need to go collect my aeron from the office god drat it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

I need to go collect my aeron from the office god drat it.

Pictured: cyberpingu taking his chair home on his multiple hour train ride

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Pictured: cyberpingu taking his chair home on his multiple hour train ride

Legitimately would probably be the only way to get a seat on my evening train home.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

trem_two posted:

When I lived in Atlanta I commuted 25 miles in my lovely Corolla each direction and I wanted to die. I wonder how many cumulative weeks I spent sitting on I-285 with traffic not moving.

I've been a fully remote computer toucher for 3 years now and it's been the biggest quality of life improvement I can imagine.

In the last 8 week since we have been in lockdown I've got to spend more time with my kid. Not dropped in work production. Don't feel tired all the loving time and also don't have to spend hours commuting.

It's the loving best.

I now get to work from here as opposed to a lovely office desk

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
:looks at OS screens:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m the completely empty daily calendar

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
I’m the LED peripheral mat, set to streamer girl pink.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

2020's had plague, now war, i'm pretty sure pwm being reopened is the next horseman

The faint clop-clop mouth sound and horrendous stench of the approaching 4 bronies.

But, wait- there's only one because he's so fat and it's idiot race.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

A7h reminder

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

brocked posted:

:looks at OS screens:

Our CTO hates windows so I've been making a point to make my zoom and desktop backgrounds windows through the ages.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’m the completely empty daily calendar

I printed that off that morning to laminate and hang on the office door so my wife knows what my schedule is for the week. It...fell by the wayside.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

The fact that'll likely be working from home for the rest of the year made us finally get a dog and he came home a week ago and hes shits everywhere and loving rules

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Post that dog

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

CyberPingu posted:

In the last 8 week since we have been in lockdown I've got to spend more time with my kid. Not dropped in work production. Don't feel tired all the loving time and also don't have to spend hours commuting.

It's the loving best.

haha nerd

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

pik_d posted:

Post that dog

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Do you think Raffles' dog is named Ruffles?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

CyberPingu posted:

It's the loving best.

phwoar tekken 3

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I post from a Huawei Android phone from 2014

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

phwoar tekken 3

I would love to play some Tekken 3

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

brocked posted:

I would love to play some Tekken 3

Same, I have the disc, may do some epic retro gaming later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

I used to have an emulator on my old machine... Now I have a Nintendo Wii for the kids. But I have a Soul Calibur 2 disc I can play every once in a while