Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Brawnfire posted:

This gave me a weird idea: SPACE RACERS

Treat each of the themes as a race team, and give them each a ship that can be reconfigured or upgraded. Have a pilot, a couple crew, a "pit crew" and thematically-appropriate maintenance dock, which could be a planetary base or a space station or even on an icy comet! Have standalone sets like "asteroid raider encounter" or "pulsar peril" with some special set pieces and interactive mechanisms.

Then me and my friends can run around with spaceships going "whooooosh Blacktron is winning!" "Neeeeeeeer Secret Space Police Meteor Gun! Pow pow!"

Why don’t we all do this?? Can we select a general stud dimension and all come up with our own submissions?
Something Between Dakar Rally and a slightly chunkier Wipeout?

Whether anyone else bothers, this may be my project today with my son. So, thanks!

[Ed] what about the new Speed Champions dimensions? 8-stud side?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Oh my god now I want to make a Wipeout racer.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

no broccoli please posted:

Oh my god now I want to make a Wipeout racer.

I’m basically making an early-gen wipeout racer right now. Go for it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Feenix posted:

Why don’t we all do this?? Can we select a general stud dimension and all come up with our own submissions?
Something Between Dakar Rally and a slightly chunkier Wipeout?

Whether anyone else bothers, this may be my project today with my son. So, thanks!

[Ed] what about the new Speed Champions dimensions? 8-stud side?

Well I'm loving in! Sounds like a fun challenge.

So this would be 8x8 stud max with minifig scale?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Brawnfire posted:

Well I'm loving in! Sounds like a fun challenge.

So this would be 8x8 stud max with minifig scale?

Ok so Im doing Minifig scale. 8x8 wish (lets face it, spaceship race ships can be a little narrower, or a little fatter, or a little long...
Just keep it around there, is my motto. (like it could reasonably compete in the same race & reality as all the rest.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Looks like Lego is pulling from the shop all sets containing police minifigs/vehicles:

Also pulled, Architecture White House set.

They are still available at the mo, but it was just announced so presumably still working on updating the website.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I got my Haunted House set and... this is probably what hell looks like:

I don't think I'll ever buy a set this big used, this was misery.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that's a pretty good assembly table

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

sigher posted:

I got my Haunted House set and... this is probably what hell looks like:

Did it come that way or is this a self-inflicted 1-pile?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Bloop posted:

that's a pretty good assembly table

I love it a lot, but it's a little too small for such a big build, there were too many pieces for this. :smith:

Oxyclean posted:

Did it come that way or is this a self-inflicted 1-pile?

It came in 4 giant ziplock bags that weren't sorted in any fashion. I tried looking for the pieces to start the beginning of the build in the bags and found some so I started with that bag first... then slowly started to come to realize I needed pieces from the other bags. I dumped the other three bags because I knew trying to pick everything out neatly from them was going to take longer than to just sort it all.

It really makes me appreciate the presorted bags from new sets, this easily doubled my build time.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Feenix posted:

Ok so Im doing Minifig scale. 8x8 wish (lets face it, spaceship race ships can be a little narrower, or a little fatter, or a little long...
Just keep it around there, is my motto. (like it could reasonably compete in the same race & reality as all the rest.

Gotcha!

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

ivantod posted:

Looks like Lego is pulling from the shop all sets containing police minifigs/vehicles:

They are still available at the mo, but it was just announced so presumably still working on updating the website.

As someone stressed the gently caress out and extremely anxious about what’s going down with police violence in the USA, this gave me a bit of frivolous joy. Maybe Lego Town will find something new to focus on instead of 10,000 iterations of police sets.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i would love to see confirmation on that lego pulling cop sets story

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
ACAB, but why are firefighters getting pulled?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Do they have any Police minipigs in them? That could be the reason.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Time Cowboy posted:

As someone stressed the gently caress out and extremely anxious about what’s going down with police violence in the USA, this gave me a bit of frivolous joy. Maybe Lego Town will find something new to focus on instead of 10,000 iterations of police sets.
The only reason they make them is because they sell far more than other city themes. They've even stopped alternating between fire/police on subsequent set releases because police was selling so much more.

The Bloop posted:

i would love to see confirmation on that lego pulling cop sets story
Me too. I've only seen so far a few people posting that they've received this email from Lego, but until now the sets are still available on the web site.

I hope this is not fake, but apologies if I got taken by a hoax. Let's see what happens in the next couple of days.

SkeletonHero posted:

ACAB, but why are firefighters getting pulled?
Yeah, that's a bit of a weird one in favour of this possibly being fake. Shame, it would have been a good thing, but let's give it a bit more time I guess. If there's nothing by tomorrow then I guess we can conclude that it was fake.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

sigher posted:

It came in 4 giant ziplock bags that weren't sorted in any fashion. I tried looking for the pieces to start the beginning of the build in the bags and found some so I started with that bag first... then slowly started to come to realize I needed pieces from the other bags. I dumped the other three bags because I knew trying to pick everything out neatly from them was going to take longer than to just sort it all.

It really makes me appreciate the presorted bags from new sets, this easily doubled my build time.

Oh! I didn't realize this was an old Haunted House, not the thing that just came out. Yeah, I imagine any second hand purchases are going to be one piles.

Biggest thing I had to one pile was putting back together 6211 Star Destroyer. Still wondering how I managed it because I run out of space on my desk even with ordered bag sets.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Man... those MOC building moments when you just start on something and it’s kind of kludgey and stupid buy you have an image in your mind and then you kinda just start seeing the matrix and you zen out and start upgrading/swapping this piece for that, etc... and before you know it you have some incredible poo poo and you’re all jazzed about it.

I love Lego.

(And I’m nearly done with my Space-Racer!) (at least v1.0...)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Apollodorus posted:

Police minipigs

Lmao

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

ivantod posted:

Any update, source, etc. on this? Cannot find any verification, news, or secondary sources.

nice

Also, this is a good post:

Black lives matter, even among privileged LEGO builders [Editorial]

The LEGO Group's own Mark Stafford had some words in the comment section, which I will go ahead and stick right here:

Mark Stafford posted:

These are my personal opinions, nothing to do with my employer. I’m British, I don’t come from what we considered a ‘privileged’ background, my ancestors worked the land, then worked in factories, they died in wars they didn’t understand, they were firmly working class, minimal education, mostly poor. They never went to a private schools, never took land from anyone, and they never owned slaves. I don’t have that level of ancestral guilt and I have always been proud to have been born in the same city as William Wilberforce; the man who got slavery banned throughout the British Empire.

But I also understand my family had ‘white’ privilege. Undoubtedly if the generations of my family had been black the outcome of their lives would have been far worse. Their mistakes amplified, their successes muted. The wealth of my country was built not just by us but also on the exploitation of ‘our’ Empire and I benefited from the infrastructure that wealth built. So I am privileged.

Of course all lives matter, but right now because of what has happened again there is proof that to some people black lives matter less. I believe all lives are equal, and therefore right now I need to single out those who are being excluded and tell them they matter to me, to every right thinking person. Saying it does not in any way reduce other lives to being less.

Black Lives Matter. That simple. They matter.

It is no longer enough to be not racist, it is time to be anti-racist. Shut down racism, people need to be told they are wrong and if any of us say or do something we didn’t realise was offensive we might need to listen too. It’s not ‘just the way it is’, it is unacceptable, it is wrong. If someone is racist and they won’t change they will not be a part of my life. That is the change all of us can make.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/GentleHooves/status/1142034863471628288?s=20

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Feenix posted:

Man... those MOC building moments when you just start on something and it’s kind of kludgey and stupid buy you have an image in your mind and then you kinda just start seeing the matrix and you zen out and start upgrading/swapping this piece for that, etc... and before you know it you have some incredible poo poo and you’re all jazzed about it.

I love Lego.

(And I’m nearly done with my Space-Racer!) (at least v1.0...)

Definitely know that feeling! I'm gonna start on mine soon, but I had to finish up this one...

So someone may have a glimmer of memory that I challenged myself to do something interesting with the UFO pieces I have. Well, several months and failed attempts later, I feel as though I have actually made something decently cool-looking: (I tried a white backdrop for the first time with mixed results)

THE ALIEN GUNSHIP

(JUST NOTICED A PIECE MISSING. The rear landing gear/engine should have a trans green disc. Ah well.)

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jun 2, 2020

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Hey what's this space racer thing? Sounds fun. There a general style y'all referencing?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Lizard Combatant posted:

Hey what's this space racer thing? Sounds fun. There a general style y'all referencing?

Actually yeah, feenix are we trying to emulate/paying homage to the classic space themes [Space Police, Blacktron, Exploriens, Ice Planet] or are we going off on our own directions?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Brawnfire posted:

THE ALIEN GUNSHIP

Hell yeah dude. As someone for whom UFO was the last stuff I got before the dark ages, that looks awesome and extraterrestrial and swooshable.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the UFO pieces are such unwieldy garbage but can absolutely be decently like that, love me an asymmetrical spaceship too

speaking of unwieldy, I found a polaroid photograph of the biggest thing I made when I was 8. I had just watched the terrible movie Robot Wars and the giant robot scorpion that had a people transport on its back was the COOLEST thing to me ever, so I tried to build it using what I had available. I was not able to make it stand on legs so I gave it wheels instead.

and my attempt

apologies for the blurriness of the polaroid, and I think the missiles on it are from a megabloks military vehicle my aunt got me when I was very little

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Brawnfire posted:

Actually yeah, feenix are we trying to emulate/paying homage to the classic space themes [Space Police, Blacktron, Exploriens, Ice Planet] or are we going off on our own directions?

I think whatever. I know this wasn’t my original idea in this thread but I loved it and I basically went HAMM today on it.

How about I post my v1.0 (still thinking of some tweaks) to give you a general idea of what I did. I should have it up later tonight...

I wasn’t hewing to any specific style beyond:

Colorways you can repeat as a brand (vehicle, pilot livery, pit crew)

Vaguely reminiscent of Wipeout (but a couple hens earlier, so not as sleek and “magic flying”-ish

Fits a single pilot.

Meant for racing. (Not a space hauler).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

When have cops ever looked like the minifig on the left?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have one pre-minifig cop Lego :corsair:

They hadn't invented limbs and faces yet I guess

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

sigher posted:

When have cops ever looked like the minifig on the left?

About 125 years ago when they just walked around with a club and a whistle. It could be modern but you'd have to have a duty belt waist accessory thing because you know they probably wouldn't paint handcuffs and a gun on a torso.

I assume it's a joke because the one on the right is clearly a motorcycle cop wearing a motorcycle leather jacket and helmet. But given how stupid people are maybe it's real. :shrug:

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 3, 2020

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Best I could do while playing Lego with my 3 and 5 year olds. Might play around with it a bit more, but I dig it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ChesterJT posted:

About 125 years ago when they just walked around with a club and a whistle. It could be modern but you'd have to have a duty belt waist accessory thing because you know they probably wouldn't paint handcuffs and a gun on a torso.

I assume it's a joke because the one on the right is clearly a motorcycle cop wearing a motorcycle leather jacket and helmet. But given how stupid people are maybe it's real. :shrug:
the ridiculous amount of cops in lego form has always been super weird

I don't think that recall is real but boy howdy would I ever be happy to be wrong

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Best I could do while playing Lego with my 3 and 5 year olds. Might play around with it a bit more, but I dig it.

Love it dude!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Only my motorcycle cop figs looked like the right image. Motorcycle cops wearing full face helmets is unrealistic because it's too intelligent a policy for American PDs.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
FYI, there's four minifigs in that image, the other two were cropped out. You can click through to see two more recent ones, including a current one with tactical vest, riot helmet, and magazine pouches. I should have just rehosted the picture, but I'm lazy.

edit: here's the original tweet, and not a tweet with a screenshot of the tweet...
https://twitter.com/aliceavizandum/status/1141547556322852864?lang=en

deoju fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 3, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Slick! And as a father of a three-year-old, completing anything around them is challenge level omega.

I tried throwing together a Blacktron-inspired racer. I wanted it to be a chunky thruster, with a short fat body and lots of engines. I'm within a stud or two of the 8 stud regulation, with some minor projections on either side.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

deoju posted:

FYI, there's four minifigs in that image, the other two were cropped out. You can click through to see two more recent ones, including a current one with tactical vest, riot helmet, and magazine pouches. I should have just rehosted the picture, but I'm lazy.

edit: here's the original tweet, and not a tweet with a screenshot of the tweet...

Ahh ok, that makes more sense.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

deoju posted:

this was one of the replies and the wording on it made me bust out laughing, it's true

quote:

If you put all the lego city sets together you end up with a police state with almost no housing

https://twitter.com/darren_cullen/status/1141807768220917762

Brawnfire posted:

I tried throwing together a Blacktron-inspired racer. I wanted it to be a chunky thruster, with a short fat body and lots of engines. I'm within a stud or two of the 8 stud regulation, with some minor projections on either side.
you're getting much better at this MOC thing than your earlier works, good job!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

this was one of the replies and the wording on it made me bust out laughing, it's true

https://twitter.com/darren_cullen/status/1141807768220917762

you're getting much better at this MOC thing than your earlier works, good job!

Thanks a lot! Yeah, when I started posting I had just pulled my LEGO out after years of them being in a closet, to see if my daughter would be interested in playing with them... but I was pretty rusty with technique and my daughter was pretty destructive. Now she likes to build her own little car or house while I can do whatever and she doesn't try to wreck it. (Sometimes she still accidentally does by trying to "help" or just by... moving through Chaos Toddler Space for a moment.)

I've been inspired by a lot of what I see in this thread tho, between what people build (I though about Carbohydrate's cars a lot during this build) and the new sets that are out there. I want an influx of new fun gimmicky pieces so bad, I can't believe the range of connection options and colors available these days. God I sound so loving old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

sigher posted:

Ahh ok, that makes more sense.

It does but it'd be a better comparison if they just had the first and last image. The middle two are a motorcycle cop and what appears to be a helicopter pilot. Plus it's not like that last guy is loaded with 4 glocks and some c4. He just has more pockets.

The helmet is an odd choice but it's hard to say without knowing what set it's from.