Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

TheAgent posted:

Thanks for the warm wishes y'all. It was quite something to get married in the side parking lot of the Honda Center at what amounted to a ticket booth. Love in the time of Covid and all that.

Anyway I am still typing up the hello dump and will hopefully have it tomorrow for yall. Stay safe out there, wherever you are in the world.

Mrs TheAgent and the rest of us thank you for your service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

Thanks for the warm wishes y'all. It was quite something to get married in the side parking lot of the Honda Center at what amounted to a ticket booth. Love in the time of Covid and all that.

Congrats, hope it's all good for you and yours.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

Anyway I am still typing up the hello dump and will hopefully have it tomorrow for yall. Stay safe out there, wherever you are in the world.

Congratulations!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

They are going to have to make the grind uber-rough and the insurance fees rough too so that the backers feel they got their moneys worth. Monetization dictating game design! Unlike those, uh, evil publishers.

I mean, assuming the game ever comes out, anyway.

No no, you see once the game releases CIG is gonna stop selling ships and monetizing everything but cosmetics. Backers understand that right now they are just helping fund development, they will be totally fine with their thousands of dollars being devalued to almost nothing once the game comes out.

CIG is also highly motivated to release this game so they can finally collect their $60 from the remaining people who haven't already bought in and then stop making further income.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

They are going to have to make the grind uber-rough and the insurance fees rough too so that the backers feel they got their moneys worth. Monetization dictating game design! Unlike those, uh, evil publishers.

There's much more focus and for a lot longer on how to figure out new ways to milk backers. This has practically been their main project for years and the one with consistent regular output and generating income (allegedly) for selling concepts or broken early days zero tier implementations.

There's no way a decent game is ever coming out.

Also what game design.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

TheAgent posted:

Soooooooo, are we having the virtual reception on your 890j?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/1267605190431002624

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

:siren:I actually had fun in Star Citizen last night: Trip Report:siren:

I know, I know. I know. I wasn't expecting it either. But I did! I had fun in Star Citizen for a period of about 2 hours. I'm still kind of shaken, and trying to process the experience.

so after my spacex inspiration, this was basically my take away as well from a new player experience. i was very, very surprised (and disappointed) at myself.

first off, the keybindings and overall process of doing everything is not straightforward. nothing seems to make much sense, esp. trying to get my ship out of a hanger and flying from place to place in space. on top of this, the bugs i encountered didn't help. that being said, folks in the various servers i joined varied between extremely helpful and extremely toxic. i was about ready to give up after the first day, but decided to sleep on it. after banging my head for a few hours on the second day, something instead sorta clicked.

as an fyi, i couldn't do combat well (the lack of fps and joystick didn't help) so i stuck to the non-combat missions instead. when the gameplay loop works, it almost feels like something could really be here. but then you get the bugs. most are minor but there are a number of notable ones that basically wipe away hours worth of work. like where it kicks you from the server (30k) and you lose all your progress, have to start all over again, and are forced to wait to "reclaim" your ship since it's lost in space. or ones where you can almost finish the mission but another game-breaking bug prevents you from doing so (for example, when the ui doesn't work anymore and you're effectively stuck inside your spaceship like a prison).

it wouldn't feel so bad except that the time invested into waking up, getting your ship, and starting your mission is well into the 30 min. plus mark (assuming everything goes smoothly up to this point and you haven't encountered another bug already). if you reach the point where you've been able to do the mission objectives and are in a position to turn it in for what appear to be a really lovely amount of credits, you're well past the one hour mark. for some, that might be ok except for the fact that about a third of the time when i played, i'd make it to the end of a mission and be ready to turn it in when i'd encounter a "game-ending" bug (one that would force me to kill myself and restart or get kicked from the server). i'd then basically lost all progress up to that point and would have to start all over again. unbelievably frustrating.

my experiment ended when i got a character account error (16k) which forced me to close out of the game and launcher, and then basically wait at least an hour before trying to see if the game could find / figure out my account again. in some places, things looked great and there were indeed some pretty sights. in others...not so much (see below).

i honestly think my tolerance for jank like this would've been lower, if it were not for another hardcore fps game that i have been enjoying for the past couple of years which also has a very high threshold for bullshit but is in a much better state (relatively speaking) and has very satisfying gunplay.

sarsapariller, if you liked this, you might wanna try escape from tarkov.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Fargin Icehole posted:

The hell does CCU mean?

I managed to get them explained to me about 2 years ago. I'm still not exactly sure.

People were hoarding massive amounts of free CCUs and it caused some kind of issue, now there's a warbond version?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1267568027815440384
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1267604006190235649
https://twitter.com/CaptainZyloh/status/1267617818075422721

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Strangler 42 posted:

... and all my money is gone. And has anyone seen my car?

I'll find you car and if you give me $10 a month and I'll give you some excuse each week why I didn't make a video about my ever failing attempts to find your car.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Fargin Icehole posted:

The hell does CCU mean?

bbchops posted:

Cross Chassis Upgrade. It's inexplicable.

I mean it's just a fancy term for store credit, or very simply explained:

Hav posted:

It's very interesting. On the one hand, I 'love' the wing commander movie because it's a similar level to 'The Room', where ambition entirely outstrips capability. While Tommy Wisseau actually knew enough to bully his director of photography, Chris has so far failed to find the guy that going to get him out of the poo poo. There are multiple places in that movie where it's just too awesome, and I say this as a MST3K/Rifftrax fan.

There's a beautiful piece of tape out there where Roberts is on set, and he says, 'You're ruining my film'. I think it really sums it up, even if it's a joke.

Tommy Wiseau also is an actual space alien. So, in contrast to Chris Roberts, he has an actual excuse for not understanding how humans work. He also redeemed himself by producing the award-winning documentary Homeless in America*.

* He also gained an award for The Room so make of that what you will. But I've read that Homeless in America is actually cool and good so he gets the benefit of doubt there.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 2, 2020

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Last King posted:

i honestly think my tolerance for jank like this would've been lower, if it were not for another hardcore fps game that i have been enjoying for the past couple of years which also has a very high threshold for bullshit but is in a much better state (relatively speaking) and has very satisfying gunplay.

sarsapariller, if you liked this, you might wanna try escape from tarkov.

I'm mostly in Gaming for RTS, Sims and space games- previously MMO's but those are dead as a doornail anymore. The only FPS stuff I've really gotten down on in the last 20 years has been VR but that's a whole other ballpark. Something about multiplayer shooters in the modern era doesn't grip me, and I'm not sure what it is because I was a huge fan of Battlefield 1942 and Planetside back in the day.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Sarsapariller posted:

Something about multiplayer shooters in the modern era doesn't grip me, and I'm not sure what it is because I was a huge fan of Battlefield 1942 and Planetside back in the day.

Big heckin' same. I've been chasing the vibe of those two games for years but there's nothing to match them.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Pilz posted:

So, let's assume that to cut out the 'getting into the ship' animation, we're going to say that you can in fact just teleport yourself into your ship. Because we're going for IMMERSION, we want there to be an in-lore explanation for this - plus, we need a way for people to enter and leave ships during combat - but whatever explanation we're going to make has to also take into account why we don't just teleport ourselves across the galaxy. [...]

With this one decision and a bit of creativity/extrapolation, we have solved multiple problems of game design AND created a principal by which our ship design and lore will be informed. We can create an entire universe from this seed of an idea that's been invented to cover up a bit of 'trickery' and bypass certain technical hurdles. As cheesy as it sounds to say it we've turned our adversity into an advantage. This is what game design is about to me, but I see no signs of such creativity in Star Citizen.

This is the truly fascinating thing for me in this"development". How much effort is spent in execution with no foresight, no design, no vision for how the parts come together to make a whole that is more than the sum of the parts.

They have all the options they can imagine to design a fun gameplay loop, encourage by design a player experience aligned with their vision and capabilities, but they end up with... Well, star citizen.

At this point it's much too late to change course, but it's baffling how badly all the parts fit together, make the game un-fun (almost un-playable) and seem almost in contradiction with the gameplay loops they say they want to build.

Any other stories / ideas like the above I can read to just plumb the depths of Crobbler's ineptitude?

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Well if you need to poopsock Star Citizen Miri has some good news:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

TheAgent posted:

Congratulations sex haver

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

stinch posted:

I'll find you car and if you give me $10 a month and I'll give you some excuse each week why I didn't make a video about my ever failing attempts to find your car.

here's a complicated jpg showing how you can get 1.29 excuses every week for almost the same price

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Sock Citizen

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Sarsapariller posted:

I found advice saying to only scan from 2km or more above the surface, because range increases as you get farther from the planet. I found more advice saying that any zoom level other than 1x is bugged and don't use it. Great!

I’ve seen miners claim the scanning distance has been nerfed since the 'stealth' ship turned up. They reckon CIG just culled the scan range wholesale.

Whatever the cause, there seems to be a consensus now that scanning is useless and you’re better off eyeballing rocks (they’re a different colour to the scatter ones), and just avoid dark sides of planets.

e: Also don’t buy an Idris

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 2, 2020

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

This is actually pretty close to useful. All it needs now is a 'flight ready' vs 'actually ready' key. And an 'in production' timeline. (Like the Idris has been in prod forever, and was nearly ready aside from a missile room in 2016 or something...)

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Shazback posted:

This is the truly fascinating thing for me in this"development". How much effort is spent in execution with no foresight, no design, no vision for how the parts come together to make a whole that is more than the sum of the parts.

They have all the options they can imagine to design a fun gameplay loop, encourage by design a player experience aligned with their vision and capabilities, but they end up with... Well, star citizen.

At this point it's much too late to change course, but it's baffling how badly all the parts fit together, make the game un-fun (almost un-playable) and seem almost in contradiction with the gameplay loops they say they want to build.

Any other stories / ideas like the above I can read to just plumb the depths of Crobbler's ineptitude?

Sure- some brief synopses:

* They made ship-to-ship docking require physical connections, but didn't bother to standardize the connectors or work out the mechanics for how that will play out, so half the ships in the game have no airlock doors and the others all have airlocks that are mutually incompatible.

* They sold ships with "Forced entry" docking rings that were supposed to cut through ship hulls but didn't work out the mechanism for how to do that so they just kind of quietly... took those out. How is space piracy supposed to work? Eh, they'll figure it out when they figure out how you're supposed to disable enemy ships in a game with no subcomponent targeting.

* They sold a bunch of ships that literally cannot land when carrying a load of cargo. Unfortunately these are cargo ships, so uh, they're now in the process of reworking the entire concept of landing to accommodate these ships.

* They sold a bunch of stealth fighters and bombers in a game where the detection mechanics mostly do not do anything. They sold early warning scout ships that do not have better sensors than normal ships, and command-and-control ships that have no ability to coordinate data from other ships. Basically they've done no design on the infowar stuff at all but they keep selling parts of it.

* One of the first five ships they ever sold, the Constellation, has a snub-fighter attached to its rear end that you are supposed to be able to detach and fly. But oops, ship-to-ship docking rears its head again, so for the last 7 years the fighter has been nothing but a hood ornament.

* We could go on and on about the ships they've sold with features they will never implement like radio telescopy and hydroponic farming, but the most egregious (to me) is the mining ship that was supposed to be a huge industrial beast with refineries and ore processors and a 5 man operation for the actual mining aspect. Then they started designing mining and it's just shooting a laser at a rock, and they released two different ships that are just laser + rock, and the big industrial beast somehow got 200 dollars more expensive but has never exited the jpeg stage and never will.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

Whoa! The Honda center? fancy stuff. The last event I went to was under a tarp next to a Chuck e Cheese parking lot.

It's only because you got married that people will tolerate that level of humble bragging.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

sebmojo posted:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Jap%27s_eye#:~:text=Noun,penis%3B%20the%20male%20urethral%20meatus.

it's like 1940s era slang, lol

imagine the hole at the end of a penis, peering racistly forever

e: can't believe i missed that

Ah yes. Because I think of pee holes on penises often. Sorry, I don't even know where my pee hole is so y'all get a pass on that one. Nothing like a racist penis. :boom:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

XK posted:

I managed to get them explained to me about 2 years ago. I'm still not exactly sure.

People were hoarding massive amounts of free CCUs and it caused some kind of issue, now there's a warbond version?

You could do stuff like convert the Hornet into the Gladiator with a 0-dollar CCU, effectively having two fighters for the price of one (horror!). CIG decided to announce in advance that they were going to stop allowing 0-dollar "upgrades," which inevitably lead to everybody "buying" a hundred of the loving things to store in their accounts and convert whenever they felt like. CIG got mad about this and tried to start charging a 5 dollar fee even for 0-dollar upgrades, with Lando making excuses about all the database work it caused them, but the backers got genuinely angry about it and they settled for just stripping the 0-dollar upgrades from all of the accounts.

Warbonds are a separate and equally stupid thing

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

trucutru posted:

Whoa! The Honda center? fancy stuff. The last event I went to was under a tarp next to a Chuck e Cheese parking lot.

It's only because you got married that people will tolerate that level of humble bragging.

My mate got married at a Hooters, don't knock it.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant my mate met someone at a Hooters he thought he'd got married to until he arrived back in the UK and found out he hadn't. His parents were delighted.

Jonny Shiloh fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 3, 2020

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

todays been a little crazy

plus I officially get married tomorrow, so hurray

Holy poo poo, congrats!!! <3

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Sarsapariller posted:

You could do stuff like convert the Hornet into the Gladiator with a 0-dollar CCU, effectively having two fighters for the price of one (horror!). CIG decided to announce in advance that they were going to stop allowing 0-dollar "upgrades," which inevitably lead to everybody "buying" a hundred of the loving things to store in their accounts and convert whenever they felt like. CIG got mad about this and tried to start charging a 5 dollar fee even for 0-dollar upgrades, with Lando making excuses about all the database work it caused them, but the backers got genuinely angry about it and they settled for just stripping the 0-dollar upgrades from all of the accounts.

Warbonds are a separate and equally stupid thing

I suppose my issue is that a $0 CCU was a thing you could have, rather than a process you could do. And that you could hoard them.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

loving lol.

Quick reminder that subscriptions were to be purely for paying for community content like videos. I'm guessing numbers were slipping, so Disco needed to sweeten the pot with some JPGs.

TheAgent posted:

subscription benefits (as told in leaks months and months ago) to increase "on a massive scale"

I don't know if the chance to spend 'less more money' is actually a benefit, but I'm guessing there's going to be some pouty lips outside the subscription stables either way. Or spite subscribing.

While I'm back in May 2019, this one is good too :allears:

TheAgent posted:

new gameplay modes coming online at a rapid pace

Making a melty battlefield in a year is pretty quick work for CIG

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/supahffej/status/1267271364601397248
https://twitter.com/Sidghdrake/status/1267285023331360770

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

TheAgent posted:

Love in the time of Covid and all that.

It is all good. Congratulations you two!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

In these troubled times it's important to knuckle down and give uh, 25,000 dollars holy gently caress, to a video game company

At some point consumption stops becoming conspicuous and starts becoming grotesque

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Sarsapariller posted:

In these troubled times it's important to knuckle down and give uh, 25,000 dollars holy gently caress, to a video game company

At some point consumption stops becoming conspicuous and starts becoming grotesque

A video game company using roman ranks for its whales, at that

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Quavers posted:

:trustme: Please keep spending money :homebrew:

Jared Huckaby (AKA Disco Lando) really is a slimy piece of poo poo isn't he? I wonder what his parents think of his 'career' at C!G

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

:iiasb:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

They have so many typo's and grammatical errors on their "official" docs it isn't even funny anymore. I do love sexy bears though...

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

https://twitter.com/Goukou_/status/1267436508656492545

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Ponzi posted:

Jared Huckaby (AKA Disco Lando) really is a slimy piece of poo poo isn't he? I wonder what his parents think of his 'career' at C!G

I guess they’re just happy that he finally has a steady paycheck at 45 years old, and that he stopped playing with a Lando action figure.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 3, 2020

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

People telling this guy congratulations for spending $25k on a video game. This is downright disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Popete posted:

People telling this guy congratulations for spending $25k on a video game. This is downright disgusting.

And he didn't even do that.