Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Hrm. Is there a single best "here's a shitload of cool tokens" pack for roll20 ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Any way to do a gift purchase in D&D beyond? That would actually be ideal.

You could buy the thing for yourself and share it with the person? But I don't think there's a way to actually buy something FOR someone.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Sion posted:

Campaign is starting soon. Starting at 3rd level, going to level 10 and we've been asked to play things we've not played before.

As such I will be playing a Beastmaster Ranger. I have heard they are poo poo, however. How do I make them unshit? I can get stuff from core books and XGtE.

Pick up a homebrew variant somewhere on the internet if the DM is ok with it, and he should be, because 5e beastmasters are awful.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Facebook just informed me it's my DM's birthday today. Any good GM gift suggestions for a campaign that's moved entirely online?
Roll20 credit so they can buy cool token markers or other stuff

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

You could buy the thing for yourself and share it with the person? But I don't think there's a way to actually buy something FOR someone.

Could you send them online funds in a way D&D Beyond accepts equal to the cost of the book? Like maybe a PayPal or something?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
maybe they'll implement gift cards after they nail the dice rolling thing

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Kaysette posted:

maybe they'll implement gift cards after they nail the dice rolling thing

Am I stupid for thinking those new mythic dice are pretty neat :smith:

Still hoping the Beyond dice rolling can be integrated via Beyond20 somehow.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Syrinxx posted:

Am I stupid for thinking those new mythic dice are pretty neat :smith:

Still hoping the Beyond dice rolling can be integrated via Beyond20 somehow.

No no they are pretty slick, no judgement on people using them.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Sion posted:

Campaign is starting soon. Starting at 3rd level, going to level 10 and we've been asked to play things we've not played before.

As such I will be playing a Beastmaster Ranger. I have heard they are poo poo, however. How do I make them unshit? I can get stuff from core books and XGtE.

Tell your DM to not be a butt and let you use the UA version.

DnDice: They made the rolling quicker. I still have no use for it though, to be honest. I've abandoned Roll20 wholesale for Foundry VTT and I have no intention of looking back too.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
just don't play a beastmaster ranger unless you're okay with the mechanics working against you. from a storytelling perspective they can be fine characters, they just need some help and if your DM is the type to 'treat everyone equally', you might end up feeling a little unsatisfied if it's a combat heavy campaign. nothing to ax your character idea over, but something to keep in mind.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Raenir Salazar posted:

Wow my party are dicks, someone else also wants the mask.

Lost 2 int and then regained 2 int by drawing 2 cards from the deck of wonders.

I mean, if they're a CHA caster, hard to blame them for wanting +5 AC

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Arthil posted:

Tell your DM to not be a butt and let you use the UA version.

DnDice: They made the rolling quicker. I still have no use for it though, to be honest. I've abandoned Roll20 wholesale for Foundry VTT and I have no intention of looking back too.

Have you used Astral at all? I'm trying to find a Roll20 replacement and I'd like to get a comparison between Foundry and Astral.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Have you used Astral at all? I'm trying to find a Roll20 replacement and I'd like to get a comparison between Foundry and Astral.

I haven't used either for a real game, but I did a few experiments with both before settling on Foundry, which I'll be using to run a game as soon as my players get back to me about scheduling...

Astral is fine, it works well enough. It's very easy to get started with, but doesn't have a ton of integrations and I had some framerate issues on Firefox.

Foundry requires a bit more work up front (you need to host it somewhere or set up port forwarding on your home network) but you own all the data in it, it runs smoother than Astral, it's got a ton of great features, and a pretty good base of plug-ins already, including some pretty good ones for D&D Beyond import. It's also a it easier to set up maps IMO.

I recommend playing around with both a bit. Astral is free to use for the most part, and Foundry has a demo instance linked from their site.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Bobo the Red posted:

I mean, if they're a CHA caster, hard to blame them for wanting +5 AC

They were a barbarian battle master :(

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Fun fact: they won't need their fancy new item anymore if you coup de grâce them in their sleep

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Eraflure posted:

Fun fact: they won't need their fancy new item anymore if you coup de grâce them in their sleep

He's died died twice so far, so I figure third time's the charm.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Raenir Salazar posted:

He's died died twice so far, so I figure third time's the charm.

Challenge them to a "Dragon Off". May the best dragon win!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Kaal posted:

Challenge them to a "Dragon Off". May the best dragon win!

Whats great is that apparently the mask was cursed and is slowly going to turn him into a Dragon and he keeps it on anyways!

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Is becoming a dragon really a curse? Seems like an upside to me.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Sly Flourish has a new Kickstarter full of boss battles / raids / big encounters

http://www.fantasticlairs.com/

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nephthys posted:

He's not worthy.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Not touched Astral, but Foundry has been excellent so far. As has been mentioned, a lot of community modules but unlike Roll20 you aren't locked behind a high-tier sub to access them. One in particular has been amazing, it lets me import maps I make with Dungeondraft right into Foundry. Generally with walls, doors and lighting already set up.

I've ran two sessions so far. No combat! Not that it's really on me, the players seem to like their role play. But everything else has been smooth. I've got maps set up as scenes I can bring them to, and I'm able to reveal map pins I've added from journal notes as they discover things.

A very robust text system too. Rollable tables can output a dice roll with the result, and also can include the creature as a link straight to the sheet. But best yet? You can drag this link from the chat onto the map, also works from journal entries.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Nephthys posted:

The dragon is also cursed.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lol apparently the satyrs in the Theros book have magic resistance as a race trait, come the gently caress on

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Mystic Odysseys of Theros has officially dropped and I'm in a couple of linked campaigns heavily relating to being on or near seas and oceans so I took a look at the official Triton.

Does anyone else think it seems somewhat overpowered? +1 to STR, CON, and CHA, swim speed + amphibious, three spells each 1/long rest (1st, 2nd, and 3rd level spells unlocked at 1st, 3rd, and 5th respectively), darkvision, aquaman powers, resistance to cold damage, primordial language proficiency?

Then again, all of the other new races have plenty going for them as well. Just regular ol' power creep, perhaps?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Triton isn't a new race at all, came in with Volo's in fact. The only difference is now they get Darkvision.

As for Dragon talk, the DM probably intends to turn anyone who fully transforms into an NPC and have the player reroll. Super uncommon for you to keep playing if you get permanently turned into stuff like that. Mindflayers, Liches, Vampires are also common.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

FFT posted:

Mystic Odysseys of Theros has officially dropped and I'm in a couple of linked campaigns heavily relating to being on or near seas and oceans so I took a look at the official Triton.

Does anyone else think it seems somewhat overpowered? +1 to STR, CON, and CHA, swim speed + amphibious, three spells each 1/long rest (1st, 2nd, and 3rd level spells unlocked at 1st, 3rd, and 5th respectively), darkvision, aquaman powers, resistance to cold damage, primordial language proficiency?

Then again, all of the other new races have plenty going for them as well. Just regular ol' power creep, perhaps?

Yeah but they're Tritons

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

FFT posted:

They're rarely actually able to use any of their underwater powers, so those really are just ribbon abilities. Mostly they're just neat because you can start with 16/8/16/8/16, and you get three spells to try to find a use for. I made one into a ridiculous paladin/warlock/bard/sorcerer just to do it, and it worked pretty well as a Jack of all trades bruiser. But the Triton part never seemed mechanically significant.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

The Triton in this new book certainly look much cooler than the ones from Volo's though.

I'm really liking the piety and god related stuff. All kinds of mechanics you can reskin or use as a template for other things.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Does cosmic horror work within dnd? Are there any good splat books or sites that delve into that area? Thinking about some fun ways to flavour an Ancients Paladin order

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
As far as I can tell from the Marketplace there are only two new Races. The Leonin and the Satyr. They aren't really all that impressive, though they have better than average speed. Magic Resistance on the Satyr is nice but not unheard of.

The two subclasses look pretty bad. Average at best. At least as far as player options it seems rather disappointing all in all.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Moreau posted:

Does cosmic horror work within dnd? Are there any good splat books or sites that delve into that area? Thinking about some fun ways to flavour an Ancients Paladin order

Needs some rules tweaks, and a campaign oriented round it: doable though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The two subclasses are cool.

Eloquence Bard is good

BI being able to effect enemy saves is loving huge.

Not to mention a floor of a 10 roll at level 3 on persuasion and deception checks.

It's not quite lore in terms of just pure potential and flexibility. But it's probably easily second best Bard Subclass.

Glory Paladin has a very good spell list.

I wish the Aura was like 10/20 rather than 5/10

And Glorious Defense is very cool.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

I still feel they gutted the Heroism Paladin too hard.

As for the book, I honestly don't think every book needs to have player options at all. I know they backed themselves into a corner with their dumb AL rule, but they're the ones in charge right? Just change it.

Magic Resistance being given to a second race is a bit of a problem for some. I do consider it very strong, especially when paired with Ancients Paladin, but I'm not the type to ban races which use it outright like my DM. He's not super keen on the Yuan-Ti, and Satyr is no different.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Moreau posted:

The Ilithids are basically a cosmic horror race serving dark and alien gods from the Far Realms which is as close to a plane of pure madness you can get. Aberrations and Abominations in general follow those tropes.

For world ending events/quests there's the elder evils handbook, albeit originally for 3.5e but I think you can port it to 5e easily enough. Most of them deal with putting the evil back into its tomb to push the end of the world back until another day.

The basic idea is that you have these ancient, elder, unfathomably evil things that existed since before the gods did and the gods at best could only sorta seal them away; either because they are a part of the backbone of reality in some way, are reality itself and the gods are just pale imitations that exist within a dream, or were created by the gods and ended up being too powerful to be controlled and so on. All sorts of ways of playing with it.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Satyr seem like a much better fit thematically for Ancients Paladin than the Yuan-ti did.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

The basic idea is that you have these ancient, elder, unfathomably evil things that existed since before the gods did and the gods at best could only sorta seal them away; either because they are a part of the backbone of reality in some way, are reality itself and the gods are just pale imitations that exist within a dream, or were created by the gods and ended up being too powerful to be controlled and so on. All sorts of ways of playing with it.

This is certainly the vibe I'm going for with the order. Ancient, unspeakable things that the world has to be protected from. Elder evils, star-spawn, etc. Then I'll tie that into the Ancients 'Protect the light' vibe with a 'If nothing that we do matters (cos unspeakable evils will eventually wake up and eat reality) then the only thing that matters is what we do, here and now. So, let us do good' approach. Rage, rage against the dying of the light, etc.

I hadn't thought of the Illithid though in hindsight that is blindingly obvious.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

Considering the Dragon gets like 2 legendary actions on every character's turn, action economy isn't in our favour!

Half of us still died, but we did 90 damage up front because we built a MOAB that we sent in ahead of us and detonated it (probably losing half the hoard) and then had/used basically that anti-material rifle from Chiaki Coffin Princess that an artificer we came across had built specifically for hunting that dragon.

We had a... Battle Master Barbarian? Whatever it did, the Dragon attacked at disadvantage most of the encounter, and our Warlock after I burned its resistances came in and made it think its wings were tied up by chains so it couldn't do its wing attacks.

Two of us straight up died, the paladin forgot he had a kupo coin and so he revived halfway through again and healed a couple of us to last a few more rounds before dying again, another was downed, I got bewitched for a turn until I ate its fire breath, but in the opening round I got lucky (or rather the Dragon was unlucky) enough to burn all of its legendary resistances with my (DC15) stunning fist and on the last turn of the combat where it was do or die it crit failed it's roll and I finally stunned it.

Then it died, with me doing the final blow!

Then we ended the session there, but presumably we spent some diamonds to revive the people who were dead-dead.

Yeah, recently faced an Ancient Red Dragon and a party of mostly 17/16s were slammed so hard a Rod of Security had to be used to Long Rest up and try again. Well done though! I do appreciate how Legendary Actions try to solve the action economy problem as well.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Cosmic horror doesn't work in D&D for the same reason regular horror doesn't work. It requires a certain amount of powerlessness in the face of something unknowable. There's already cosmic horror themed things like people said: Mind Flayers, any number of other far realm related critters and Great Old One warlocks. If all you want is the set dressing there's good poo poo out there. The issue is that everyone's gonna fight whatever is there though. Mind Flayers, despite the tentacle faces, are something you can stab. You can fireball a Gibbering Mouther. It's hard to have horror when you can just go fistfight whatever you're scared of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Moreau posted:

i have done it before, it requires that you take a lot of power away from the PCs, which they may not necessarily like. if your campaigns are sufficiently low power this is not as bad as trying to do it at high level where the PCs are fighting demigods