Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lone Goat posted:

Hey sorry I don't check this thread that often but here is the cool bird, apologies for the delay.

Do you know what kind of bird that is, and if they used a filter? Some of the swifts swallows (turns out iridescence is one of the ways to tell the difference) around here have that iridescent thing going on but they mostly look black except for whichever part the light's hitting properly rather than the whole body at once.

Edit: gorgot I could reverse image search. It's a Violet-Backed Starling and they really do look like that.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Violet-backed Starling according to the internet.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
That birb is majestic af, beautiful.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I'm waiting on a sale for that bird, never pay full plumage.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Total War Saga: TROY is coming to Steam at some point in 2021.

But it will release on EGS on August 13, and will be free for the first 24 hours.

Is that a first? A well-known IP, though a bit niche, being both exclusive for a year and also free the first day.
Is it a publisher experiment to see how well it does and a shitload of DLCs will earn back the initial loss, or is EGS desperate, since they would probably have to foot the bill on top of the exclusivity?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I wanna like that birb but I just cannot bring myself to support the devs.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fart of Presto posted:

But it will release on EGS on August 13, and will be free for the first 24 hours.

Is that a first? A well-known IP, though a bit niche, being both exclusive for a year and also free the first day.
Is it a publisher experiment to see how well it does and a shitload of DLCs will earn back the initial loss, or is EGS desperate, since they would probably have to foot the bill on top of the exclusivity?

The free for a day is a new twist, but Borderlands 3 was on EGS so the well-known and well-beloved IP thing is not.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Fart of Presto posted:

The last Total War Saga game did okay but not well enough to support further DLC. I think this is them going a safer route for a guaranteed return. Troy being sort of a side/smaller game makes it a good option to experiment with, as well

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
What's a good multiplayer shoot mans game these days? I'm trying to find an Arma3 replacement. Doesn't have to be milsim-y, but I don't want a Call of Duty style FPS either.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Zetsubou-san posted:

Dead Hand has very basic systems. An AP-based turn system from old tactical games. A modular weapons/hull/chassis system that wouldn't be out of place in a mecha game. And a progression system of 'This a gauntlet. Run it.' There is no between-level shop, or loadout management, or systems repairing. A bulldozer mounted to a hovercraft took out your machine-gun? Better loot a spare from the wreckage of your enemies. Which will outnumber you.
Not an easy game and doesn't pretend to be.

Sounds like something that Cogmind does better if you can handle the traditional roguelike style.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Potentially interesting pirat metroidvania Kickstarter for people still into those things.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

What's a good multiplayer shoot mans game these days? I'm trying to find an Arma3 replacement. Doesn't have to be milsim-y, but I don't want a Call of Duty style FPS either.

Man, you gotta try "Squad": it's like Project Reality in 2020 .
In my opinion, it's the best milsim on the market.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Isn't basically nothing definitively known about the historical Troy, including its exact whereabouts, thanks to the Bronze Age collapse?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

exquisite tea posted:

Isn't basically nothing definitively known about the historical Troy, including its exact whereabouts, thanks to the Bronze Age collapse?

We've found ruins that are generally accepted to be the city. I don't know what's known beyond that.

Orv
May 4, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

It's more complicated than that but the TW Troy is basically whole cloth out of the Iliad and other similar sources. It's their first foray into historical+ games.

E: Well, by the standards that Total War has always been 'historical.'

Orv fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 2, 2020

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Orv posted:

The free for a day is a new twist, but Borderlands 3 was on EGS so the well-known and well-beloved IP thing is not.
Yeah, and RDR2 also got a month or so exclusivity, but I was just surprised by the free-for-a-day thing for something as well known as Total War.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Knightsoul posted:

Man, you gotta try "Squad": it's like Project Reality in 2020 .
In my opinion, it's the best milsim on the market.

How's the community?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

How's the community?

Remarkably decent. You get the occasional shitter or whiny child but by and large people communicate, chill out and generally have fun with it, at least on public servers.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Lone Goat posted:

Hey sorry I don't check this thread that often but here is the cool bird, apologies for the delay.

:pcgaming:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

I'm happy to see the cool birb.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Fart of Presto posted:

If it's a TW Saga offshoot game like the Britain one that flopped pretty badly, Epic might have gotten it cheap enough.
Doesn't seem more outrageous than giving away GTA V Premium melting their website for a day, or the repeat 10€ vouchers that they'd have to reimburse at full value, out of pocket.

The last Saga didn't have any dlc either so :shrug:

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 2, 2020

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

hey is megaquarium that game everyone went nuts over because it's good or what?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Fart of Presto posted:

Is it permanently free if you grab it or do you just get to play it for 24 hours? Because that sounds like a really great idea for getting people's interest. I know I would buy more games on release if I could check them out for a few hours without needing to bother with the logistics of a Steam purchase and charge-back if I don't like it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Is it permanently free if you grab it or do you just get to play it for 24 hours? Because that sounds like a really great idea for getting people's interest. I know I would buy more games on release if I could check them out for a few hours without needing to bother with the logistics of a Steam purchase and charge-back if I don't like it.

Free to keep.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Fart of Presto posted:

I think so, but Britannia Total War was poo poo and it wouldn't shock me if this is as well given the lack of publicity.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Orv posted:

Free to keep.
Thanks. Circling that day in the calendar, then.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Black Griffon posted:

hey is megaquarium that game everyone went nuts over because it's good or what?

nobody went nuts over it but its cool if you like management games and / or fish

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Yeah Megaquarium is a good solid management game but it's not gonna blow anybody away.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

This didn't get much more discussion after being posted but, is that IllFonic the same IllFonic that went on to make Friday the 13th: The Game and Predator: Hunting Grounds? How did anybody give them film franchise licenses after they apparently failed to make stuff for both Star Citizen and themselves?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

:ughh:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

awesmoe posted:

nobody went nuts over it but its cool if you like management games and / or fish

Hub Cat posted:

Yeah Megaquarium is a good solid management game but it's not gonna blow anybody away.

hmm, I was probably thinking of another one then

Orv
May 4, 2011

Oblivion4568238 posted:

This didn't get much more discussion after being posted but, is that IllFonic the same IllFonic that went on to make Friday the 13th: The Game and Predator: Hunting Grounds? How did anybody give them film franchise licenses after they apparently failed to make stuff for both Star Citizen and themselves?

It is, yes. I don't have the slightest clue how those came to pass however.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Now I really want to know what was the actual fish management game that people went nuts over.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Parkitect is probably the theme park game people have been most vocally supportive of here abouts.

There was that game a bit back, I dunno if it really got any talk here on SA, about mucking about with a vastly more detailed (and janky) version of the Spore microbe level gameplay but I don't remember what it was called.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Samuringa posted:

Now I really want to know what was the actual fish management game that people went nuts over.
Was it this?

StarkRavingMad posted:

Do you like fishing? Well, the No Man's Sky of fishing (with very limited graphics) just launched.

Intergalactic Fishing!

Travel to a billion procedurally generated lakes and catch fish! "Each fish in the lake is individually simulated. Fish behave differently based on their species, size, habits, lure preferences, time of day, their surroundings, etc."

Design your own lures. Participate in tournaments, or fish contracts, or side quests. Or follow the main quest which seems to be about overthrowing a big evil megacorporation through fishing? I don't know, I'm only an hour in, but the game seems pretty chill.

Developer rundown video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3m0WD3--9s

It's $13.49 on launch sale, and it seems like a neat little thing so far.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I think perhaps I was thinking of parkitecht! not quite as much fish there I guess but

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

I think perhaps I was thinking of parkitecht! not quite as much fish there I guess but
Looked at some gameplay videos and it seems like the most faithful on a Theme Park/Rollercoaster Tycoon game I've seen in a long time, certainly. Anyone have experiences? Planet Coaster had great rollercoaster building, but the rest of the game didn't come together all that well for me.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Looked at some gameplay videos and it seems like the most faithful on a Theme Park/Rollercoaster Tycoon game I've seen in a long time, certainly. Anyone have experiences? Planet Coaster had great rollercoaster building, but the rest of the game didn't come together all that well for me.

I'm actually playing Parkitect right now and it's very much like the 2d Roller Coaster Tycoon games with modern conveniences in there. Theming and building scenery is much easier than the old RCT games. Workshop support is pretty drat good too, I can literally be running the game while browsing the Parkitect Workshop on my laptop, select a custom blueprint for a nicely themed Spinning Coaster and it's immediately available in game without restart or anything. There is added complexity to building roller coasters just because there are many more options that I'm getting used to. Decoration ratings and heatmaps are fully surfaced to you so you can see where your park needs some theming, and there's an additional mechanic about supplying your Concessions and Shops while hiding your behind the scenes infrastructure from guests. I'm really enjoying it much more than Planet Coaster, just my personal taste.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

I'm actually playing Parkitect right now and it's very much like the 2d Roller Coaster Tycoon games with modern conveniences in there. Theming and building scenery is much easier than the old RCT games. Workshop support is pretty drat good too, I can literally be running the game while browsing the Parkitect Workshop on my laptop, select a custom blueprint for a nicely themed Spinning Coaster and it's immediately available in game without restart or anything. There is added complexity to building roller coasters just because there are many more options that I'm getting used to. Decoration ratings and heatmaps are fully surfaced to you so you can see where your park needs some theming, and there's an additional mechanic about supplying your Concessions and Shops while hiding your behind the scenes infrastructure from guests. I'm really enjoying it much more than Planet Coaster, just my personal taste.
Thank you, that sounds really great to me. Playing the Theme Park demo for hours and hours is one of my fondest childhood memories and Rollercoaster Tycoon only made me more fond of that type of game. It's fairly cheap, too, so I think I'll be giving it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
It seems like Sega will make a special announcement soon.