Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/vampiresnvino/status/1267647698594721792?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Nessus posted:

The White Sox? Really? Not the Cubs? The Cubs at least have a curse.

I could see "White Sox Fan Squad" being the like, social excuse and hook for a cabal though. However, this would be more along the lines of "this is our excuse for meetings, and possibly, matters related to our team are a recurring factor/focus in our sorcerous inquiries."

gently caress the cubs. That cabal was probably south side.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Soonmot posted:

gently caress the cubs. That cabal was probably south side.

I tried to say it in a nice game specific way, but yes, this is accurate and what I was really saying.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
When you go farther back in first edition (so basically the rule in Boston Unveiled and Chicago) your cabals tend to be single Order, which was weird. Chicago even organized cabals by Order, so the Guardians of the Veil section then shows you a bunch of cabals full of Guardians of the Veil. There's members that stand out as exceptions (like a Madame Strega) but the write ups usually call out how them being in another order is an asset.

People have said that it seemed like the original intent was that everyone in a player group would all be of the same y-splat, I've no idea but the examples are a pretty good argument for it. Fortunately it seems to have been less of a rule as time went on.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nofather posted:

People have said that it seemed like the original intent was that everyone in a player group would all be of the same y-splat, I've no idea but the examples are a pretty good argument for it. Fortunately it seems to have been less of a rule as time went on.

That's an interesting design choice if they were going for that. Single splat games have always been a tiny exception to the rule in WW stuff.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

You know I've noticed that people don't ever seem to be into the idea of a narrow-cast group even if it would make perfect sense in most of these games that you would have groups that are mostly members of a particular affinity, splat, or sub-splat. If anything people seem to want to spread out maximally. It's interesting and I suppose some of it is player choice, but it seems like you can get a deeper and more connected experience with unified splats, too.

To explain what I mean here a little, I mean you have the higher order group (Garou) and then the sub-groups (Tribe etc.) and then perhaps even subgroups of THAT.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

You know I've noticed that people don't ever seem to be into the idea of a narrow-cast group even if it would make perfect sense in most of these games that you would have groups that are mostly members of a particular affinity, splat, or sub-splat. If anything people seem to want to spread out maximally. It's interesting and I suppose some of it is player choice, but it seems like you can get a deeper and more connected experience with unified splats, too.

To explain what I mean here a little, I mean you have the higher order group (Garou) and then the sub-groups (Tribe etc.) and then perhaps even subgroups of THAT.

Oh, sure. In Werewolf you could have Camps. Changeling had Kith and Courts.

Semi-related I find I like in Requiem there's more of an emphasis on your Covenant than your Clan. A Nosferatu can be the top of the Invictus. Doesn't feel nearly as stratified (even as, yes, nothing technically prevents a Nosferatu from being Prince in oWoD etc). A full Covenant party doesn't seem so out of reason as it would full group of the same Clan.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

nWolf 2e embraced the idea of the party being, itself, your strongest tie. Pack over Tribe is the default, there, and I think it's a really good decision.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Mage 2e also emphasizes the Pentacle Alliance as, well, an alliance. There are internal tensions, but an individual cabal is expected to draw on multiple revolutionary mystery cults, which each bring their own specialties and skills to the table - as well as their own agendas. It makes for a manageable amount of interpersonal tension, in my experience, that ultimately leads to the cabal as a more important organization but enriched by multiple Orders.

There are exceptions, of course, and I think NPCs are generally expected to be more likely to clump with like-minded wizards, because that's a good reason to have the PCs bouncing around between other cabals or treated as go-betweens and free agents. Which is good! The PCs being subtly but meaningfully more dynamic than the other cabals in their area is both more manageable for the ST and does a lot to explain why they end up at the center of everything story-shaped.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Joe Slowboat posted:

There are exceptions, of course, and I think NPCs are generally expected to be more likely to clump with like-minded wizards, because that's a good reason to have the PCs bouncing around between other cabals or treated as go-betweens and free agents. Which is good! The PCs being subtly but meaningfully more dynamic than the other cabals in their area is both more manageable for the ST and does a lot to explain why they end up at the center of everything story-shaped.

It's a neat way of under-writing one of the main aspects of how a PC group is separate from a group of NPCs in either WoD, in that they can implicitly trust each other and have each other's back. (Yes, unless you're playing a 'scheme against everybody' game, whatever.) That is a huge advantage in Vampire and honestly is probably a mandate for a group of the Lost or Prometheans. Certainly doesn't hurt anywhere else.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
A game of vampire where everyone is best buddies no matter what sounds super boring and counter textual 💤

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Flipping through it I saw a cabal that was apparently dedicated to the White Sox and while I don’t think it is out of bounds a group of mages like baseball it did not really feel like a group of people who are pathologically determined to explore the nature of reality.

What if I were to tell you that the Chicago White Sox have been involved in more perfect games than any other team in the MLB? Baseball is all about freak statistical occurrences happening between long periods of nothing much. Baseball fandom is maybe the closest thing there is in sports to mages' quest to figure out the "hows" and "whys" of reality.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

What’s really fun is that you can also organize disagreements and tensions OOC to make sure that they’re suitably dramatic - my players in my three and a half year long chronicle (almost) never came to blows but they did get up to a lot of shenanigans on the way. One of them stole a church! Another was sort of developing into a cultist of a Bound goddess. But the players were talking about it and they could rely on each other to have their backs when things got hairy.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

ElNarez posted:

What if I were to tell you that the Chicago White Sox have been involved in more perfect games than any other team in the MLB? Baseball is all about freak statistical occurrences happening between long periods of nothing much. Baseball fandom is maybe the closest thing there is in sports to mages' quest to figure out the "hows" and "whys" of reality.

Being a a White Sox fan provokes a very important mystery to investigate: why are the Cubs so much more popular when they suck in so many different ways at the same time?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Joe Slowboat posted:

What’s really fun is that you can also organize disagreements and tensions OOC to make sure that they’re suitably dramatic - my players in my three and a half year long chronicle (almost) never came to blows but they did get up to a lot of shenanigans on the way. One of them stole a church! Another was sort of developing into a cultist of a Bound goddess. But the players were talking about it and they could rely on each other to have their backs when things got hairy.

Exactly. To quote Stanley from The Office: "We don't have to get along, we just have to work together."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dave Brookshaw posted:

WoD: Chicago was, if I remember correctly, partly written before Mage 1e was finished. It came out four months later, so knowing how production timescales match up that's either true or it was written before Mage came out and anyone played it. It's... Um... Yeah.

Props for having local (to me) boy former pop-idol Robbie Williams on the cover. (Tim Bradstreet was in his photo-reference era, and this one's particularly obvious)

As someone who really got into the WoD with the nWoD, I was really excited for Chicago and you can kind of see it just get worse and worse from beginning to ending. The Vampire stuff is great, Werewolf is okay, Mage is generally pretty bad. It does have some cool ideas at least, I like the symbolic White Sox cabal.

e: I posted this and then saw the like next page was about that cabal! Nice!

And yes, it was really apparent to me as a new reader that Vampire and Mage in particular pushed being all the same social splat REALLY REALLY hard. The covenants just didn't cooperate that well outside of pressure, and I distinctly remember reading all of Guardians of the Veil and going "if the rest of the Pentacle find out what the Guardians are REALLY about, they'd kill them all so quick."

Arivia fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 3, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Did oWoD ever tackle Haarp?

I had some ideas for my Werewolf group involving a Technocracy-advised US military invasion of the Umbra to harness "alternative green energy."

Haarp seems like a great fit for an oversized, artificial caern but I'm drawing a blank on how to use this beyond "prevent this disaster from happening."

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Arivia posted:

I distinctly remember reading all of Guardians of the Veil and going "if the rest of the Pentacle find out what the Guardians are REALLY about, they'd kill them all so quick."

The Guardians of the Veil esoteric doctrines are pretty clearly at least suspected by the rest of the Pentacle, because the Guardians operate on the principle of 'if they hate and fear us it reinforces our role as sin eaters.' It's actually specifically addressed that while the Guardian esoteric doctrines are certainly more distressing than the exoteric doctrines, they still fall within acceptable Diamond orthodoxy (they allow that it is possible for a mage to be worthy of magic - the Hieromagus; 'all thrones are false' will certainly annoy the Ladder but it's not like that's not what everyone thinks the Guardians do anyways).

That's not to say the esoteric doctrines becoming common knowledge wouldn't hurt the Guardians, but it's not really either plausible or fun to imagine the Guardians being able to successfully hide their beliefs from the rest of the Pentacle for hundreds of years without anyone ever spilling the beans.

Brookshaw has also drawn a distinction between devout Guardians and pragmatic Guardians - they've both killed an enemy of magic and passed the Crimson Veil, so they're both blood in on the mystery cult, but one might live in preparation for the Hieromagus while the other just sees the Guardian doctrines as an important check on the hubris of others. Or even just be focused on being a wizard spy.

The Guardians are terrible, but the Diamond knows how terrible they are - hell, the Guardians know how terrible they are! The Interfector is a public office. Having a Guardian in your cabal likely means having a certain amount of inherent tension, not 'guess Jim is going to murder us in our sleep some time.'

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

moths posted:

I had some ideas for my Werewolf group involving a Technocracy-advised US military invasion of the Umbra to harness "alternative green energy."

Haarp seems like a great fit for an oversized, artificial caern but I'm drawing a blank on how to use this beyond "prevent this disaster from happening."

HAARP is a giant radio antenna so it could also be over infusing the local Umbra as it operates with Weaver taint, knowingly or unknowingly, that's spreading at an alarming rate.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

The Guardians of the Veil esoteric doctrines are pretty clearly at least suspected by the rest of the Pentacle, because the Guardians operate on the principle of 'if they hate and fear us it reinforces our role as sin eaters.' It's actually specifically addressed that while the Guardian esoteric doctrines are certainly more distressing than the exoteric doctrines, they still fall within acceptable Diamond orthodoxy (they allow that it is possible for a mage to be worthy of magic - the Hieromagus; 'all thrones are false' will certainly annoy the Ladder but it's not like that's not what everyone thinks the Guardians do anyways).

That's not to say the esoteric doctrines becoming common knowledge wouldn't hurt the Guardians, but it's not really either plausible or fun to imagine the Guardians being able to successfully hide their beliefs from the rest of the Pentacle for hundreds of years without anyone ever spilling the beans.

Brookshaw has also drawn a distinction between devout Guardians and pragmatic Guardians - they've both killed an enemy of magic and passed the Crimson Veil, so they're both blood in on the mystery cult, but one might live in preparation for the Hieromagus while the other just sees the Guardian doctrines as an important check on the hubris of others. Or even just be focused on being a wizard spy.

The Guardians are terrible, but the Diamond knows how terrible they are - hell, the Guardians know how terrible they are! The Interfector is a public office. Having a Guardian in your cabal likely means having a certain amount of inherent tension, not 'guess Jim is going to murder us in our sleep some time.'

I'm not saying you're wrong as the line has developed until now, but I was discussing the very beginning of the nWoD, where Guardians of the Veil was the first order book and like the fourth MtAw book period. To me as a new reader, it seemed very obvious that Guardians wouldn't mix well with other Pentacle mages in a cabal, same as I was finding reading the Vampire covenant books around the same time.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

I'm not saying you're wrong as the line has developed until now, but I was discussing the very beginning of the nWoD, where Guardians of the Veil was the first order book and like the fourth MtAw book period. To me as a new reader, it seemed very obvious that Guardians wouldn't mix well with other Pentacle mages in a cabal, same as I was finding reading the Vampire covenant books around the same time.

With the covenants, I really only got the feeling the the "opposite" ones wouldn't mix well. That having invictus and carthian together or lancea and crone together would be a problem, but mixing invictus, crone, and ordo would be fine.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

moths posted:

I don't think that's come up but HAARP as some kind of giant Weaver Caern/DimSci operations device makes perfect sense. The obvious use case is that it's some kind of telecom hub that's able to push a signal into the Near Umbra and allow tactical operators to operate tactically. If you want to focus on the Wyrm you can put the Syndicate in charge of it, maybe have some ItX chrome boy show up as a supporting cast.

For ultimate punchline, have a Garou bust out of some fool's mirrorshades. SURPRISE, rear end in a top hat! IT COUNTS!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
https://twitter.com/worldofdarkness/status/1268221320845721601?s=19

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I haven't played any tabletop in maybe 16 years and finding my old dice bag the other day reminded me of the hobby; as a matter of fact, just looking at my Vampire The Masquerade dice (the ones with the blood splat on one tip and the rose symbol) caused me to spontaneously remember about a third of the Revised Edition rules, stuff I thought I had completely forgotten.

I mentioned it to my wife and she seemed interested in playing something- now's not a good time to start inviting friends over for game night, obviously, but it is a great time for two people with a lot of spare time to learn a game system, and for one of them to start doing concept writing. After looking at the nWoD titles she said Geist, Vampire and Changeling sounded the most interesting (all my old edition books are long gone). Would it be best to just buy all three core books as pdfs on Drive Thru RPG so she could look through them and decide which one sounds the most up her alley? Also, are just the core books enough to start learning the rules\building out story hooks? If she decided, say, Geist is the one that sounds the best, what materials would I need to form a sound base to work from? Is nWoD still all D10?

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

nWoD is still all d10. In terms of materials, if you're playing in person with the nWoD Second Edition rules, you might some cards or small pieces of paper to represent Conditions, or one of the preprinted Condition Card sets sold on DrivethruRPG. Used well, Conditions are like narrative markers that come up to remind you of opportunities to play into genre, that come and go in play. (The books do not always use them well.) The more comfortable you are with improvising effects on the fly, the more likely you're fine just taking index cards and writing "Spooked" or "Lethargic" on them when a Condition comes up. If you're just playing with your wife alone, you may not really need cards, since all the focus will be on one character so you can remember status easier.

Make sure the books you buy say Second Edition. Second Edition nWoD corebooks like Vampire or Geist contain the full rules to run a game of Vampire or Geist, but First Edition books did not work this way, also requiring a World of Darkness Core Rulebook that all the monster cores share.

Vampire and Changeling are both very good games, and Geist is solid enough, that if you have the money and reading time to spare, buying the PDFs and looking them over isn't a bad idea. There's very little in the way of Second Edition supplements published yet for any gameline except Vampire and maybe Demon, but I think the corebooks for everything except maybe Mage and Mummy do a pretty good job of providing enough structure to sketch out a chronicle setting and start playing. Each book contains one chapter dedicated to short overviews of several sample domains, both as premade plot hook settings and as examples of what you can do with a game of Vampire or Changeling.

There is one important distinction that can trip up folks used to playing oWoD rules you should note. oWoD measured success by gradation; a particular roll could require more than one die to show a success, and a one or two success roll was characterized as a narrower or lesser result than rolling three or four successes. nWoD does not do this; nWoD rules mostly measure difficulty of an action by how likely you are to roll any successes at all, with a die only rolling a success on an eight, nine, or ten. This is a technical note to give out before you even read the books, but it's important to get used to rolling ten dice, getting one success, and going "yes, good, I succeeded" instead of "dang, I barely scraped by."

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

HAARP having Weaver side effects fits perfectly, thanks guys. That opens a lot of doors.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Those are some really solid picks and Box answered your questions. If you're just going to run something for one person, I highly suggest picking up promethean as well, it really is one of the best games in the line and even beats out Geist for being the most hopeful. A highly personal journey on discovering what it is to be human and eventually achieving that goal might be fun for you two.

Honestly, I really enjoy all the second editions (except beast which I will not buy).

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Since we're talking about it, here's my rough ranking of how objectively good the current nWoD 2e/CofD lines are:

• Vampire and Mage are the most consistently good games in the line, with strong mechanics that enforce the fiction in a natural way. Admittedly, this is mostly because Vampire had a few extra years to work on the book while they were figuring out how to actually release a second edition of nWoD and Mage had a really good dev team that was thinking about how to make a Mage core book that didn't suck for years, but they're still amazing.
  • Werewolf introduces some editing/layout practices I hate to 2e and uses way too much jargon, but it made me actually want to play Werewolf and is thus far better than I ever thought it would be.
  • I'm just going to put nearly every other line in the same "good but flawed" category. Demon's cool, but it was released in the weird gulf between 1e and 2e. Promethean's cool, but the mechanics are janky and feel like they'd only work with a video game HUD automating it. Changeling's cool, but it feels like it's trying a bit too hard to justify having a second edition some times. I could rank them more precisely than that, but this is a quick post so I'm putting them all in the same "not perfect but worth reading" category.
  • We don't talk about Beast. Seriously, it's bad and isn't worth the time it'd take to explain how bad it is.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

If you end up playing vampire just learn V5. Its the newest edition, streamlined, and a very good system.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

I'd add that Promethean is uniquely well suited to a one-on-one game, if that's what you're considering running. Geist has some mechanical development tied up in its krewe communities, and Vampire and Changeling have their respective communities of covenants and courts to navigate, but Promethean runs equally as strong, if not better, with one player character as it does with full party dynamics. You could run a Promethean game without even other Promethean NPCs and it would hold.

But of course, you play what you're interested in playing, and even Geist can hold up with one player character, having more themes to work with than just krewe communities.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

That's all great info, thanks! I'll have to check again, to make sure they're 2nd edition, but the core books all said they we $19.99, so it wouldn't be the end of the world to spend $60 so that she had all three in front of her and could browse them (if she ends up not liking any of them, I can restart my time honored tradition of buying and just reading WoD books. Pretty sure, back in the day, I had.a three foot high stack of books and used approximately four inches of them to ever play or GM).

Soonmot posted:

Those are some really solid picks and Box answered your questions. If you're just going to run something for one person, I highly suggest picking up promethean as well, it really is one of the best games in the line and even beats out Geist for being the most hopeful. A highly personal journey on discovering what it is to be human and eventually achieving that goal might be fun for you two.

Honestly, I really enjoy all the second editions (except beast which I will not buy).

Initially, when (if) we find one we're both into, we're going to run 1:1 stuff so we can get familiar with the rules and flow of gameplay. Then, when the world is all Corona'd out, we have a few friends that have expressed interest in the past who have expressed interest\played a while ago, so I was thinking I'd put together something bigger for a group of four and she can be the person in group that helps clarify rules when needed. Promethean wasn't one that jumped out at her and I'm kinda catering this to what she's most interested in, since she's never tabletopped before and, to be honest, I think a good portion of her initial interest is stemming from the fact that I'm excited, if that makes sense. Wanna cater primarily to her interests.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Here's a question about Forsaken 2E which kind of stems from the 'single splat' talk a few pages back. With every tribe now having a specific thing to hunt, be it other werewolves, people, etc., does it still lean into 'having multiple tribes are good' notion? Like you can cycle through the chosen prey and give each pack member the spotlight?

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

A pack benefits greatly from having multiple tribe members who can direct the different forms of the Sacred Hunt. You may have a Hunter in Darkness who's most vigilant about the threat of Hosts and a Bone Shadow whose attention falls sharpest on spirits, but you're almost never going to have a pack territory that is threatened solely by a single type of prey. If hosts are the problem of the day most pressing, the Bone Shadow's not going to lose interest and leave, she's going to help her packmate sweep the territory clean of hosts until the problem's solved.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

mysterious frankie posted:

That's all great info, thanks! I'll have to check again, to make sure they're 2nd edition, but the core books all said they we $19.99, so it wouldn't be the end of the world to spend $60 so that she had all three in front of her and could browse them (if she ends up not liking any of them, I can restart my time honored tradition of buying and just reading WoD books. Pretty sure, back in the day, I had.a three foot high stack of books and used approximately four inches of them to ever play or GM).

Initially, when (if) we find one we're both into, we're going to run 1:1 stuff so we can get familiar with the rules and flow of gameplay. Then, when the world is all Corona'd out, we have a few friends that have expressed interest in the past who have expressed interest\played a while ago, so I was thinking I'd put together something bigger for a group of four and she can be the person in group that helps clarify rules when needed. Promethean wasn't one that jumped out at her and I'm kinda catering this to what she's most interested in, since she's never tabletopped before and, to be honest, I think a good portion of her initial interest is stemming from the fact that I'm excited, if that makes sense. Wanna cater primarily to her interests.

Give me your email in spoiler text.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I Am Just a Box posted:

A pack benefits greatly from having multiple tribe members who can direct the different forms of the Sacred Hunt. You may have a Hunter in Darkness who's most vigilant about the threat of Hosts and a Bone Shadow whose attention falls sharpest on spirits, but you're almost never going to have a pack territory that is threatened solely by a single type of prey. If hosts are the problem of the day most pressing, the Bone Shadow's not going to lose interest and leave, she's going to help her packmate sweep the territory clean of hosts until the problem's solved.
Yeah it's like, either way we're cleaning up the territory, and many hands make light work.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Vampire: The Requiem, Werewolf: The Forsaken, and the rest of the Chronicles of Darkness game are based on a completely different system than what the old world of darkness used, and even what the original new world of darkness used. The name of the stats are the same but how the mechanics work is very different. That said the COFD games are all mechanically consistent with each other. Once you learn the vagarities of how Vampire works, you have a solid baseline for how Werewolf works, or how Mage works, and only need to learn the differences.

V5 is a completely different system by a different designer that's meant to be the "Inheritor" of World of darkness: Revised, but the rules are still completely different to the way the old world of darkness played and Vampire is the only game that uses it right now (Though Werewolf 5th edition should be coming out soon-ish on the geologic timescale)

Lurks With Wolves posted:

• We don't talk about Beast. Seriously, it's bad and isn't worth the time it'd take to explain how bad it is.

Never Ever play Beast. If you want to know why, offsite Educational material can be provided upon request.

I Am Just a Box posted:

The weird tribal animosity from 1st edition werewolf was mostly excised in 2nd edition. In 2nd edition your Pack is the most important thing to you, if a decision comes down to your pack or your tribe the correct answer is "Your Pack" and your tribe will definitely understand because it's made up entirely of werewolves who should also be making that same choice.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 4, 2020

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
There's a Beast primer in the OP

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Soonmot posted:

Give me your email in spoiler text.

blondlot@hotmail.com

Naoto Shirogane
May 8, 2019

mysterious frankie posted:

I haven't played any tabletop in maybe 16 years and finding my old dice bag the other day reminded me of the hobby; as a matter of fact, just looking at my Vampire The Masquerade dice (the ones with the blood splat on one tip and the rose symbol) caused me to spontaneously remember about a third of the Revised Edition rules, stuff I thought I had completely forgotten.

I mentioned it to my wife and she seemed interested in playing something- now's not a good time to start inviting friends over for game night, obviously, but it is a great time for two people with a lot of spare time to learn a game system, and for one of them to start doing concept writing. After looking at the nWoD titles she said Geist, Vampire and Changeling sounded the most interesting (all my old edition books are long gone). Would it be best to just buy all three core books as pdfs on Drive Thru RPG so she could look through them and decide which one sounds the most up her alley? Also, are just the core books enough to start learning the rules\building out story hooks? If she decided, say, Geist is the one that sounds the best, what materials would I need to form a sound base to work from? Is nWoD still all D10?

V5 is probably going to bet the best system to learn for a new player, as it was for me. They just released a new book and also the roll20 sheet is extremely well made. Very new player friendly overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Since we're talking about it, here's my rough ranking of how objectively good the current nWoD 2e/CofD lines are:

• Vampire and Mage are the most consistently good games in the line, with strong mechanics that enforce the fiction in a natural way. Admittedly, this is mostly because Vampire had a few extra years to work on the book while they were figuring out how to actually release a second edition of nWoD and Mage had a really good dev team that was thinking about how to make a Mage core book that didn't suck for years, but they're still amazing.
  • Werewolf introduces some editing/layout practices I hate to 2e and uses way too much jargon, but it made me actually want to play Werewolf and is thus far better than I ever thought it would be.
  • I'm just going to put nearly every other line in the same "good but flawed" category. Demon's cool, but it was released in the weird gulf between 1e and 2e. Promethean's cool, but the mechanics are janky and feel like they'd only work with a video game HUD automating it. Changeling's cool, but it feels like it's trying a bit too hard to justify having a second edition some times. I could rank them more precisely than that, but this is a quick post so I'm putting them all in the same "not perfect but worth reading" category.

To give a very different perspective, my rankings:

• Promethean, clear best. Biggest problem is that there's a ton of mechanics and actually playing the game you want to compress/handwave to keep things from grinding to a halt. It is probably even better for doing a one-player game than with a throng, because some of the really cool mechanics with pacing (e.g. stepping back, mastering roles) have a competition between "what feels natural" and "what helps players feel equitable." Best parts are that the theming is incredible and the mechanics frequently and successfully reinforce those themes. A Promethean is, as a fictional character, a far more fully realized character than I've seen done in anything else.
  • Demon. A little wonkier than Promethean and suffers from clarity problems, but Demons are really interesting to play with and as. There's a lot of focus on paranoia, for good and bad - TTRPGs are already really good at making players paranoid that they're walking into a death trap, and Demon really plays on this.
  • Changeling. Really heavy subject matter but also very cool and the Fae are almost certainly the 'best' antagonists in the whole *OD set.
  • Werewolf. Honestly I basically agree with you - the jargon become comical, but it is actually compelling, and not necessarily relevant to running it but I really liked the way that moon landing stuff is now really important to, you know, the moon worshippers.
  • Vampire. Getting into ones that I'm not that fond of. I've played more of it than any of the others and I've never really had a campaign of it that was particularly good. It's the one that's easiest to get stuck in a rut, which I suppose is thematically interesting for immortal assholes, but more intellectually than to play out.
  • Mage. The worst of the ones I've actually played (played 2 campaigns, ran 1 campaign, a couple of one-shots). "Pedantic" is probably the best word for it, which makes it great for posting about but man, playing it, oof.
  • Mummy. I haven't played Mummy and it's for good reason: the rulebook is a comical mess. Which is a loving shame, because it's got a couple of cool ideas, but it pulls them in multiple different directions and ends up not working in a way that doesn't even really require more than a quick read to notice.
  • Beast. Beast can't hurt you if you pretend it doesn't exist.

I don't know enough about Geist, Hunter, etc.

It's entirely probable that LWW and I have different priorities/experiences. Nearly all the games I've played have been with the same people, over a decade and a half, and we tend to play pretty loose, lots of improvisation, and a lot of escalation followed by introspection.