Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I just played over a hundred hours of DQ XI (Switch). Various things I loved:

1) The Smile Parade was such a brilliant idea. I love the concept of a big, loud Mardi Gras group going from town to town beating up demons. I like that the game hammers the point that Sylvando is just as dedicated to the knights' cause as someone like Hendrik.

2) Flying a dragon around to collect out of the way sparkly spots. I had to often remind myself that I wasn't playing BOTW and no, I couldn't just go over there. Hopping on a hornet or a dragon felt like those cuffs were finally somewhat loosened.

3) Bouncing away enemies while mounted that seemed too big to be bounced.

4) Everyone gets EXP. So simple that why doesn't every game do this except to extend the length/grind. I played this game for a really long time and never really felt like I was grinding until the very end when I was trying to steal mini-medals and serpent souls.

5) This is the only game where I've ever enjoyed forging weapons. My opinion might be different than others because I played on the Switch though. I'd think differently if I couldn't just buy most of the ingredients at the forge itself.

I have the Hero at Lv 94, I've done everything except beat Timewyrm and the secret Wheel of Harma trial. I'm ok with leaving these unfinished for now, maybe in a fit of inspiration down the road I'll come back and get everyone to 99 and finish that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Fun-sized Forge was the same in the earlier releases too I think. And yes, it is extremely good.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Is Dragon Quest Heroes 2 worth :tenbux:?

where the hell is it that cheap? steam ver has yet to go under 30

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Light Gun Man posted:

where the hell is it that cheap? steam ver has yet to go under 30

On PS4 at Walmart

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

On PS4 at Walmart

also shocking. seems like a good price.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

lets hang out posted:

Earlier on a stream they announced a bunch of Adventure of Dai games

console action rpg (no sugiyama music? 🙏)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EHPUHvftdA

I bounced off of DQH pretty hard. It was a bit too fast-paced and chaotic for my liking but this looks more my cup of tea.

So are these new products the kid adventures of Midenhall, Cannock, and Moonbrooke from DQ2? They match the colors.

What are the odds of PS4/PC DQ11 getting remasters with all the Switch features?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Tokelau All Star posted:

1) The Smile Parade was such a brilliant idea. I love the concept of a big, loud Mardi Gras group going from town to town beating up demons. I like that the game hammers the point that Sylvando is just as dedicated to the knights' cause as someone like Hendrik.

I just loving loved Sylvando. There were so many ways they could have handled his character horribly, and they managed to avoid all of them.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Ofecks posted:

What are the odds of PS4/PC DQ11 getting remasters with all the Switch features?

Highly unlikely to be honest. From what I've heard Nintendo basically paid for these features so I don't think it's something you'll see brought over to the other platforms.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ofecks posted:

I bounced off of DQH pretty hard. It was a bit too fast-paced and chaotic for my liking but this looks more my cup of tea.

So are these new products the kid adventures of Midenhall, Cannock, and Moonbrooke from DQ2? They match the colors.

No, this is all based on the Dragon Quest: Dai's Journey manga. It's unrelated to the Erdrick, Zenithian, or Dragavarian settings.

Eleven's luminary crest in DQXI is a very not-at-all-subtle reference to it too (and to further reinforce that point, look at the situations where Eleven and Dai both first awaken their powers).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also all of 11's skyrend /searend/firerend etcétera are all direct references to it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tokelau All Star posted:

5) This is the only game where I've ever enjoyed forging weapons. My opinion might be different than others because I played on the Switch though. I'd think differently if I couldn't just buy most of the ingredients at the forge itself.

I almost never enjoy forging in games, but whatever it was about DQXI just made it click with me, and I had a blast getting perfect versions of every recipe. I played on PC so not sure if Switch has an all inventory shop or something attached, but I did have to go out foraging for a number of ingredients towards the endgame, which was a bit of a bummer.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I didn't even know about timewyrm until I read it here. I finished tockleton and the giant kewpie doll and peaced out. Also, gently caress the forge forever. One of the worst crafting things ever in a game, especially because it is necessary to finish. Just tedium and stupidity.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

No, this is all based on the Dragon Quest: Dai's Journey manga.

They should really call it something like Bigg's Big Adventure.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Trapped at home and unemployed (got fired like 2 days before quarantine stuff hit everywhere), I decided to play all the Dragon Quest games. I'd had the first game on NES but never played more than an hour or two of it as a kid and never knew what to do. Loved Dragon Quest Monsters on the GBC though and always wanted to check out the proper entries in the series.

Played through 1, 2, and 3 on the Switch. Loved 1 for it's simplicity and 3 for legit being a good game. 2 wasn't awful but it had some problems that hurt the experience. Played 4 and 5 on DS and just started 6 on there too. 4 was fantastic (even without party chat- honestly didn't know what I was missing), 5 was the best so far for sure. 6 I know basically nothing about but I'm really enjoying it so far.

I knew about the Erdrick stuff in 3, but had no idea how the story got there so the inner world reveal was a lot of fun. Revisiting locations from 4 in 5 was also super neat- I knew they were part of a 'trilogy' in some way but didn't expect direct location revisits like that. Just wishing I'd played the series years ago, at least back when the DS games were coming out. Honestly not sure how I missed this stuff, it's all exactly my kind of game.

anyway

I know there's a job system in 6 but info about it from looking around online isn't giving me much understanding of what to do with it or how it works. Just has like guides on what jobs to take and when to switch to other ones- which is useful, but kind of not what i'm looking for. Can anyone give me the rundown on how job stuff affects things mechanically and why i'd want to get certain jobs to certain ranks and switch off them? or link me to like a guide that says what jobs get what skills/spells at what ranks and stuff? being told what to do gets me through the game, but knowing my options and doing my own thing is more fun

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Sea Lily posted:

Trapped at home and unemployed (got fired like 2 days before quarantine stuff hit everywhere), I decided to play all the Dragon Quest games. I'd had the first game on NES but never played more than an hour or two of it as a kid and never knew what to do. Loved Dragon Quest Monsters on the GBC though and always wanted to check out the proper entries in the series.

Played through 1, 2, and 3 on the Switch. Loved 1 for it's simplicity and 3 for legit being a good game. 2 wasn't awful but it had some problems that hurt the experience. Played 4 and 5 on DS and just started 6 on there too. 4 was fantastic (even without party chat- honestly didn't know what I was missing), 5 was the best so far for sure. 6 I know basically nothing about but I'm really enjoying it so far.

I knew about the Erdrick stuff in 3, but had no idea how the story got there so the inner world reveal was a lot of fun. Revisiting locations from 4 in 5 was also super neat- I knew they were part of a 'trilogy' in some way but didn't expect direct location revisits like that. Just wishing I'd played the series years ago, at least back when the DS games were coming out. Honestly not sure how I missed this stuff, it's all exactly my kind of game.

anyway

I know there's a job system in 6 but info about it from looking around online isn't giving me much understanding of what to do with it or how it works. Just has like guides on what jobs to take and when to switch to other ones- which is useful, but kind of not what i'm looking for. Can anyone give me the rundown on how job stuff affects things mechanically and why i'd want to get certain jobs to certain ranks and switch off them? or link me to like a guide that says what jobs get what skills/spells at what ranks and stuff? being told what to do gets me through the game, but knowing my options and doing my own thing is more fun

Basically vocations are titles you equip that make you trash at everything except what that vocation would be good at (so warriors have horrible MP/speed/intellect penalties but increase strength/hp/resilience very slightly, mages have horrible HP/strength/resilience, etc, although strength penalties are the easiest to work around with good weapons/skills), as opposed to being an actual conventional class change mechanic like Final Fantasy 5/Tactics that basically turn one character into an entirely other one gameplay-wise, since vocations have no effect on a character’s weapon/armor options and only affect stats by a +/- percentage of the character’s base stats.

The only reasons to enter a basic vocation are for skills (unique physical attacks like Falcon Slash and Roundhouse Kick), spells (unlike the last games your characters stop learning spells around the time you can change classes) and to master enough basic vocations to enter advanced vocations, which actually give good stats, often have some kind of perk based on their rank and often teach at least one grossly overpowered skill.

Realistically without grinding (vocations don’t level faster against endgame enemies than mid game trash) you’ll master two basic vocations which’ll open up a master class that you’ll have partially leveled for the late/endgame. Since only certain basic vocation masteries can unlock advanced classes you’re somewhat limited, but most characters organically slot into at least one advanced vocation.

The only “hard” recommendation is that you end up having Hero master either Gladiator/Sage/Ranger/Luminary ao he can become the Hero class; anyone can become one but the main character only needs one of those vocations mastered and not all four. Carver is a fantastic Paladin since he ends up pretty fast and tanky which is great for healing/reviving people, but that’s just me.

Hope that wall of text was helpful!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Do any of these games offer character customization or a branching storyline?

I've really only played Dragon Warrior 1 and 2. I tried DQ9 for a bit and remember being frustrated by the slow, unskippable combat animations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
3, 6, 7 and 9 have job systems (with 3 and 9 also having creation of characters).

As for branching storylines...no, not really.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
5 lets you choose who you marry, that's sort of a story branch.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Veronica’s cat suit makes every cut scene with her extra great

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

whydirt posted:

Veronica’s cat suit makes every cut scene with her extra great

Veronica in general is just great. She and Sylvando are just the best.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Framboise posted:

Veronica in general is just great. She and Sylvando are just the best.

Those are my 2 favorite characters as well.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm sure this is just me but man, that DQ 11 Dynamic Theme when you go up is so weird.

It looks like something that One Piece characters would be dressed up for a picture like that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm sure this is just me but man, that DQ 11 Dynamic Theme when you go up is so weird.

It looks like something that One Piece characters would be dressed up for a picture like that.

Angsty Android Eleventeen is not a good look.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Is it just me or is agility not super important in DQ11, at least compared to the older titles? It used to matter a lot because you had to input everyone's command at once at the top of the round and then their agility would determine the order of execution. But now everyone has one action per turn and each character immediately executes their command when their turn arrives. Not to mention that agility no longer directly impacts your physical defense.

Similarly, deftness is supposed to increase crit rate, but I can't really see a big difference from the early to late game from it.

RareAcumen posted:

It's the cover from their Christian earth spirit rock band album.

whydirt fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 2, 2020

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

whydirt posted:

Is it just me or is agility not super important in DQ11, at least compared to the older titles? It used to matter a lot because you had to input everyone's command at once at the top of the round and then their agility would determine the order of execution. But now everyone has one action per turn and each character immediately executes their command when their turn arrives. Not to mention that agility no longer directly impacts your physical defense.

Similarly, deftness is supposed to increase crit rate, but I can't really see a big difference from the early to late game from it.

It's the cover from their Christian earth spirit rock band album.

According to guides, Agility affects turn order and evasion. You can see the turn order with Meteorite Bracers as with a couple of those on you can get in turns before many bosses and even some metal slimes.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, Agility's not nearly as good as it was in the past games, so the direct value of fast characters e.g. Erik is diminished a bit as a consequence. Erik is still a really good hitter, so it's fine, though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RareAcumen posted:

It always reminded me of the 2nd GIG line up

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah it owns

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

What all Dragon Quest games are worth getting on iPhone?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Kingfish posted:

The iOS versions of 1, 2, and 4-6 are basically the best versions available (depending on your tolerance for touch controls, since they're also available on platforms with buttons), and 3 isn't much worse than the GBC and SFC versions. 8 isn't a great port but I don't recall there being anything egregiously wrong with it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

All of the ports are fine enough except for 8 which has a lot of problems.

I'd recommend 4 in particular since the DS version removed party chat during the English localization but the mobile ports put it back in, so it's the best version of the game.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
hahaha, I'm playing Heroes 2 and have just ran into Maribel and Ruff and Ruff's title on his intro gameplay tip is "The Boy Who Ride Wolf." that's the good stuff

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Kingfish posted:

It really does depend upon your tolerance for the touchscreen controls. I couldn't stand the touchscreen controls on DQ1 when I tried it, but DQ5 controls... okay. Those are the only two I've tried on mobile, though.

The only one I'd say 100% to get on mobile is DQ4, because it contains the party chat that Squenix couldn't be assed to translate on DS, so it is actually the best version of the game. DQ6 and I think 5 just have some minor game balance tweaks, but getting them on mobile is much cheaper than finding the DS carts, so you could do worse than getting those on mobile.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Commander Keene posted:

It really does depend upon your tolerance for the touchscreen controls. I couldn't stand the touchscreen controls on DQ1 when I tried it, but DQ5 controls... okay. Those are the only two I've tried on mobile, though.

The only one I'd say 100% to get on mobile is DQ4, because it contains the party chat that Squenix couldn't be assed to translate on DS, so it is actually the best version of the game. DQ6 and I think 5 just have some minor game balance tweaks, but getting them on mobile is much cheaper than finding the DS carts, so you could do worse than getting those on mobile.

I will agree on the DQ4 thing (I have the cart version of every DQ game but I bought 4 on my iPad for that very reason), but I will disagree on the DQ1 controls. I normally abhor touch screen controls except for very simple games, but I was pleasantly surprised how agreeable they were, and that continued into DQ2 which, on mobile, I would say is the definitive edition of the game. I played DQ2 to max level on that game and was also stupidly determined to get another wizard hat, and I was very pleased with on how few occasions I had trouble manoeuvring precisely whether I was using a stylus or a finger.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I felt the touchscreen controls were better on 1-3 than the Dpad for the 16 bit stuff on the switch in DQ11.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

JustJeff88 posted:

I will agree on the DQ4 thing (I have the cart version of every DQ game but I bought 4 on my iPad for that very reason), but I will disagree on the DQ1 controls. I normally abhor touch screen controls except for very simple games, but I was pleasantly surprised how agreeable they were, and that continued into DQ2 which, on mobile, I would say is the definitive edition of the game. I played DQ2 to max level on that game and was also stupidly determined to get another wizard hat, and I was very pleased with on how few occasions I had trouble manoeuvring precisely whether I was using a stylus or a finger.
:shrug: I absolutely hated the touchscreen D-Pad on DQ1; I couldn't stand it even for long enough to get into a battle. I can't imagine trying to maneuver through damage tiles or anything requiring anything remotely looking at precision on that. Maybe it was my device being weird, or the fact that I was playing a game meant for a phone on a tablet, or maybe I would have liked using a stylus better, but I thought the touchscreen D-Pad in DQ5 was passable, so :iiam:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Commander Keene posted:

:shrug: I absolutely hated the touchscreen D-Pad on DQ1; I couldn't stand it even for long enough to get into a battle. I can't imagine trying to maneuver through damage tiles or anything requiring anything remotely looking at precision on that. Maybe it was my device being weird, or the fact that I was playing a game meant for a phone on a tablet, or maybe I would have liked using a stylus better, but I thought the touchscreen D-Pad in DQ5 was passable, so :iiam:

Well, agree to disagree and I will express my regret that your experience was not as good as my own.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Is there anything I should know about playing Dragon quest 6? (Particularly the 3ds version)

I understand the game is very long.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The mobile Dragon Quest of the Stars is just a lovely gacha game right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

The mobile Dragon Quest of the Stars is just a lovely gacha game right?

And hardly even a game at that. The combat is mostly automated and there's really just nothing interesting about it.