Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Some couples already are.

Though a GP4 with the hose connected to your parner's arse might not have the desired effect on transmittability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/globalhlthtwit/status/1267919803962064897?s=21

Holy poo poo. Anyone with decent MPs, call them. Get them screaming about this at the top of their lungs. The government is literally covering up the causes of excessive non-white deaths in Britain.

lmao extremely good time to be loving over BAME people and trying to whitewash the report, good job government

also, imagine having sex where at least one person is not already locked into a heavy, thick, hot, stifling leather hood. :laugh:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

the sexpert

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Darth Walrus posted:

Holy poo poo. Anyone with decent MPs, call them. Get them screaming about this at the top of their lungs. The government is literally covering up the causes of excessive non-white deaths in Britain.
Absolute shitshow of a nation, and yet entirely predictable given the "we won't release the document due to the political and racial tensions of the moment", "no wait we will", "no wait we won't".

It's the kind of thing you'd expect from P. W. Botha's office rather than a working nation, but predictable.

zhar
May 3, 2019

Junior G-man posted:

Fresh new thread needs a brand new pod, freshly defrosted for your convenience!

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1267915638401613825?s=19

Gonna give this one a listen, I'm in the middle of watching a bunch of superhero films to see if my assumption they're all terrible was wrong (in general no, but there have been some pleasant surprises)

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

OwlFancier posted:

It's broadly the same issue with representing say, the monarchy, as good, well meaning, sympathetic people. Because the actual monarchy is a massive wealth extracting nonce club, and it's a massive wealth extracting nonce club because it's the monarchy, its structure makes it that thing, the two are inseperable.

Whether it's your intent or not, if you take an image of an idealized concept of what you wish a thing was, and then put it on a screen for millions to see, you're making propaganda. You can't make that and then go "oh well but I expected everyone to realise this was literally the opposite of reality"

It can be done though. Song of Ice and Fire has tons of likeable and sympathetic monarchic characters but the theme of 'feudalism is a pain machine that needs to end' still shines through.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/telegraph/status/1267927521745686528?s=21

Apparently it wasn’t important enough to warrant his time until now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guess we'll know who to blame next month then.

Also I guess watch out for matt hancock glowing yellow and gaining a load of hitpoints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3h8ZnXLsRg

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 2, 2020

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut posted:

a working nation
?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
FWIW if anyone else is looking for non-cop whodunnits, The Bletchley Circle and its follow up The Bletchley Circle San Francisco are great, and the latter is super gay considering the time period. Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries is also reasonable.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Also I guess watch out for matt hancock glowing yellow and gaining a load of hitpoints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3h8ZnXLsRg
Recommended videos interesting. Mass Effect, action movies, Woody Guthrie antifa, cake

The nation-state is a doomed project, but for example some postcolonial national governments would face enormous, even existential, criticism if they took all the bits about structural racism out of a report on structural racism during an epidemic.

Extremely cool to see that Whitehall is currently at the "In ensuring the social development of both white and non-white society, we have taken the step of [pages 2-9 removed due to State of Emergency] which consultation has shown to be satisfactory to all groups." stage of statecraft.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I'm drowning in bloody mosquitoes. And those midges are swarming (idiot me forgot to shut living room window before sundown). At least they're not in the bedroom this time.
Thank goodness for the insect repellent. Where do they think I am, on holiday abroad?

(There's a river runs about 20m from my windows).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Last year I nailed some bits of wood together and stapled some netting from boyes across it and it's probably the most productive use of a couple of hours in my life ever. I've had barely any wildlife incursions and have also barely closed my window for the past couple of months. Partly because I have to un-wedge the net frame to get at the handles.

If you're more patient and have an actually square window (and if it's your house which I think yours is?) you could probably do a lot better and use a proper mozzie net as mine's a bit wonky.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Last year I nailed some bits of wood together and stapled some netting from boyes across it and it's probably the most productive use of a couple of hours in my life ever. I've had barely any wildlife incursions and have also barely closed my window for the past couple of months.

I'm thinking of getting some of those things made (I'm crap at DIY as indicated previously). I had them in Egypt and they worked a treat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am also crap at DIY which is why they're held together with four brackets and about six screws, half the staples wouldn't go all the way in, and the thing won't stay straight, but fortunately the window frame isn't square either so it still wedges in alright.

If I could be arsed I'd remake it with proper joints and better wood but even the mess it is is still night and day. God only knows why they aren't more common in the UK.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I am also crap at DIY which is why they're held together with four brackets and about six screws, half the staples wouldn't go all the way in, and the thing won't stay straight, but fortunately the window frame isn't square either so it still wedges in alright.

If I could be arsed I'd remake it with proper joints and better wood but even the mess it is is still night and day. God only knows why they aren't more common in the UK.

I don't remember insects (except midges in swarms on walks along the river) ever being this bad years ago. I never saw a mosquito anywhere I lived in the UK until I think it was 2012!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Are they the big buggers with the weird dangly proboscis? I admit I've never been quite clear how big they are. I always thought mosquitoes were like, midgie sized.

I definitely don't remember them past a couple of years ago either. Guess it's the weather. We're wet enough but maybe not hot enough normally.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Junior G-man posted:

Fresh new thread needs a brand new pod, freshly defrosted for your convenience!

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1267915638401613825?s=19

I was halfway through and it's started 404 ing on the podbean site. Has something gone wrong?

I lurk a lot but never actually got round to listening to one before. It's good (thanks for listening to my opinion).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lol according to wikipedia by 2030 southern england will be a viable climate for malaria for 2 months of the year. And by 2080 so will southern scotland :v:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/JeromeRoos/status/1267909349453807616?s=20

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Ben Soosneb posted:

I was halfway through and it's started 404 ing on the podbean site. Has something gone wrong?

I lurk a lot but never actually got round to listening to one before. It's good (thanks for listening to my opinion).

Slight issue, it needs re editting. Sorry, please listen again later! Or pick another one to pass the time!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why are they burning scooters?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1267861547914756100?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I don't remember insects (except midges in swarms on walks along the river) ever being this bad years ago. I never saw a mosquito anywhere I lived in the UK until I think it was 2012!
I think we killed a ton of them in the 90s and 00s, if you compare the windscreen and grill on your car from the 80s to the 10s.

That may just be better car design picking up less of them, but I drove an old boxy pos in the late 00s and there were definitely less insects than in the 80s and 90s.

Maybe they're all coming back again because of lockdown. I hope malaria doesn't return to the Fens.

The screen doors/windows is another note in my "why the hell did the UK abandon sash windows for hinged ones?" log though, because all the window fly screen designs are for US style sash ones, which are the same as Georgian and Victorian UK house ones.

OwlFancier posted:

Lol according to wikipedia by 2030 southern england will be a viable climate for malaria for 2 months of the year. And by 2080 so will southern scotland :v:
It has been for a long time, but fortunately the malaria that actually resided there was fairly mild as they go.

That was the origin of East Anglian opium cultivation, which was regarded as a curative.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

yeah I don't remember there being any when I was a kid (apart from maybe out on the marshes) but now the woods are teeming with them

like I can easily* kill a dozen or so in the act of trying to steal my blood on a relatively short walk sometimes. it's a little bit gross when you explode one and end up smearing your own blood all over your legs

rumour has it that the ones round here are a species that can host west nile fever

* they are surprisingly dopy and slow, you can sometimes crush them with your fingers

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Are they the big buggers with the weird dangly proboscis? I admit I've never been quite clear how big they are. I always thought mosquitoes were like, midgie sized.

I definitely don't remember them past a couple of years ago either. Guess it's the weather. We're wet enough but maybe not hot enough normally.

These are big buggers with a proboscis I'd say they're 3-4 x bigger than the midges.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Ben Soosneb posted:

Sorry, I hosed up the edit and left some lovely audio in (all my bits lmao) I’ve took in the meantime and I’ll have it back up as soon as I’m able!

Thank you for your opinion, it is both cool and good :) I’m glad you’re enjoying it! While this one is down, might I recommend our other film one wherein we discuss the unified centrist reading of the Star Wars nonology?

Episode 26 - Controls on Space Immigration

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

These are big buggers with a proboscis I'd say they're 3-4 x bigger than the midges.

Yeah I've been running into more of them too. Creepy gits they are.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

He knew what was going on and did nothing to stop it didn't he?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

bessantj posted:

He knew what was going on and did nothing to stop it didn't he?

worse he was vocally condemning the party despite knowing about it

https://twitter.com/eleanormarygray/status/1267941426861608968?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I've got to go shopping tomorrow so I'll pop in the hardware store and see if they've got one of those yellow repellent hangy up things.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
There are less insects. It's all part of the massive ecosystem collapse that humans are responsible for. One German study found a 75% collapse in 26 years.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

namesake posted:

Slight issue, it needs re editting. Sorry, please listen again later! Or pick another one to pass the time!

I will! Thanks.

I was really enjoying your readings of the marvel films despite having only seen a handful! It reminded me of a pub conversation I once had - Jurassic Park is clearly a lesson against the free-market drive towards deregulation, unfortunately I lost my audience a bit when I started drawing paralles to the classic kids book Dear Zoo .

Think I'm a bit politicedanxietied out at the moment, I guss you do a mix of popculturey stuff and more politicy ones? I'll have a look through.

Also, I'm not sure anyone remembers, but I was asking advice for a friend about a housing situation a few months ago, you (all you thread) were realy helpful and I never came back to say thankyou. So sorry, and thankyou.

bad edit:

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Sorry, I hosed up the edit and left some lovely audio in (all my bits lmao) I’ve took in the meantime and I’ll have it back up as soon as I’m able!

Thank you for your opinion, it is both cool and good :) I’m glad you’re enjoying it! While this one is down, might I recommend our other film one wherein we discuss the unified centrist reading of the Star Wars nonology?

Episode 26 - Controls on Space Immigration

Perfect!

Ben Soosneb fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 3, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I've got to go shopping tomorrow so I'll pop in the hardware store and see if they've got one of those yellow repellent hangy up things.

just hang up your post history

:rimshot:

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Darth Walrus posted:

so. the cause of BAME deaths due to any social issue is an "unknown that needs more study" because we removed the relevant sections where discrimination etc. were actually studied; loving hell, what a country

fish out the ol' luchador masks, it's time for sexy wrestling! the only kind

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I went looking for a picture of Desmond swayne to illustrate why that's awful but not surprising (which I found)

just the headline of the article makes it even less surprising, but more awful

Tory MP Sir Desmond Swayne admits 'blacking up' at fancy dress party and says he has 'no intention' of apologising

and the article is somehow worse still

Torygraph posted:

ir Desmond Swayne, the Conservative MP, has admitted 'blacking up' as soul singer James Brown for a fancy dress party.

He insisted he would not apologise for trying to be "as authentic as possible" and condemned the furore surrounding Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who was forced to apologise when a picture emerged of him wearing dark makeup at an Arabian Nights party.

Dawn Butler MP, Labour’s Shadow Women’s and Equalities Secretary, called on the Tories to take action against him.

Sir Desmond, 63, made the controversial admission on his blog, writing: "I suspect that Justin Trudeau’s cringing apology for blacking himself  ‘blinded by his own white privilege’ has done him rather more harm than the original offence. 

"It was a themed ‘Arabian Nights’ fancy-dress party for heaven’s sake!

"It comes to something when you can’t dress-up as Aladdin without attracting the opprobrium of the ‘great and good’.

He would have done better to have said it was an entirely acceptable bit of fun and refused to apologise."

Sir Desmond, MP for New Forest West, Hants, added: "I once went to a ‘Blues Brothers’ themed fancy-dress party as James Brown.

"I went to some trouble to be as authentic as possible. I can assure readers of this column that I have no intention of apologising. Constituents often write to me having been infuriated by some latest absurdity of political correctness. I tell them that the best response is simply to laugh at it."

He told the Telegraph that he went to a fancy dress party "once every three years or so" and that the event in question was "several parties ago".

He insisted he had no photograph of himself in the costume.

The MP, a former economics teacher and Major in the British Army, told the Bournemouth Echo that the only reason he would not 'black up' again was the sheer effort it took to wash it off.

He said: "No one has complained to me about it.

"The reason I wouldn't do it again is because you have to go to some trouble to get it off. It's not a non-trivial exercise."

Labour's Ms Butler said: "This is another example of a politician not even trying to understand the history of oppression and racism.

"Desmond Swayne has not only admitted to blacking up himself, but is now actively encouraging others to do so.

"The Tories need to explain what action will be taken against him and whether this took place while he was a government minister.

"This is a Party that failed to reprimand an MP who used the N-word, implemented the hostile environment policy that has led to black people being wrongfully deported, and is run by Boris Johnson whose racist words incited a 375 per cent increase in racist hate crime."

In his blog, Sir Desmond went on to ridicule an academic conference at Roehampton University at which delegates wore badges letting others know whether they were happy to talk to each other.

He said: "Here's one to amuse. Last week, academics attended a conference at Roehampton University.

"[It was] entitled "Thinking beyond Transversal Transfeminisms" and [they wore] badges informing each other if they were happy to chat, or prefer not to be spoken to at all.

"Barking or what?"
from September 2019, i.e several lifetimes ago

reckon the ehrc will be investigating endemic racism in the Tory party any time soon?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/CandiceBenbow/status/1267813026641608704?s=20

(a) she was out when curfew was called and didn't know about it
(b) periods don't work like that.

This is the person concerned - she's done quite a lot of tweets on the experience:

https://twitter.com/bekah_topaz

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 3, 2020

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

I had just finished reading this spectator article about how white, privileged, antifa are taking over the BLM protestors.

I was scoffing at it and then immediately stumbled across this video:

https://twitter.com/s_Allahverdi/status/1267240521052946432

In which a white person with a hammer is smashing up the pavement to pick up chunks to throw at the police, and the predominantly black protestors then promptly take him ("it's the white people!", "get the white people!") and then hand him over to the police.

Which makes me wonder is this actually a thing? Is there some supplanting of the black voices that are in favour of peaceful protest going on in the US, or was it just a massive coincidence that I appeared to randomly land on a confirmatory tweet?

Prince John fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 3, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Pablo Bluth posted:

There are less insects. It's all part of the massive ecosystem collapse that humans are responsible for. One German study found a 75% collapse in 26 years.

I can believe it on a gross scale. Right now it feels like they're all in my flat. I've left the window open so hopefully most of them will fly out when dawn comes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I can believe it on a gross scale. Right now it feels like they're all in my flat. I've left the window open so hopefully most of them will fly out when dawn comes.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking carnivorous plants will sort you out either. They'll gobble the odd fly but plenty more will just swan on by.