Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Dunban is all 'listen to me I have the voice of a Wise Mentor figure, I am passing down my legacy and Can Never Fight Again' but the next time we see him he's a Katana Pirate screaming ELECTRIC GUTBUSTER while kicking robots in the teeth. I adore this man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The Sword of Legendaryness quest in XCX was very good

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The main plot in xbx was terrible and quarter baked and intensely stupid but goddamn were the endless side quests good. I’m still convinced they’re literally endless because they would not stop giving you side quests with the pizza aliens or the garbage aliens

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lezard_valeth posted:

As a new player to this game, I must say I really hate how Super Smash Ultimate spoils you the identity of Metal Face (and as whole what's the deal with the faced Mechons) with the dumb spiritboard gimmick. That was probably a neat reveal going blinded.

Honestly it's not intended to be *that* big a reveal. His Japanese voice actor in both human and Metal Face forms is one of the most recognizable voices actors to ever exist and he wields the exact same weapon. Players are absolutely expected to piece it together beforehand. Likewise Xord is namedropped in a sidequest as well.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

YggiDee posted:

Dunban is all 'listen to me I have the voice of a Wise Mentor figure, I am passing down my legacy and Can Never Fight Again' but the next time we see him he's a Katana Pirate screaming ELECTRIC GUTBUSTER while kicking robots in the teeth. I adore this man.

considering he's constantly talking about when he's going to be able to fight again I'm not sure your metaphor quite lands

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly it's not intended to be *that* big a reveal. His Japanese voice actor in both human and Metal Face forms is one of the most recognizable voices actors to ever exist and he wields the exact same weapon. Players are absolutely expected to piece it together beforehand. Likewise Xord is namedropped in a sidequest as well.

It's also a plot twist that Takahashi has used in every other game to this point. Sometimes multiple times in the same game. The Wels are made of people! This food is made of people! Deus is made of Wels which are made of people! The Gnosis are made of people!

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

The new cosmetics are great, but they are especially great because SHOES. just look at regular shoe options in comparison

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Really loving this game until: talking robots

I liked them so much more as an unknowable enemy.

Rolled my eyes pretty hard at that.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I can't imagine not appreciating it when Xord shows up

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
He was fun and cartoonish, but it has taken the game in an entirely different direction and I don't feel the game, at this point, is better for it. It's a game, yeah, but it's no longer a serious game. Now it's just anime. Nothing wrong with anime but I'm sure you can see how much things change at that point.

Maybe if it happened much later like the Virmire/Sovereign reveal in Mass Effect it wouldn't be as jarring. But now I know to expect cartoon villains from here on out.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is there a way to disable the cosmetic appearances? I put some appearance on for some characters' various but now when I get new armor I don't know what it actually looks like. I don't see a way to clear it.

Yes, this confused me for a bit. Pressing some button (Forget which, but it's listed on the screen) brings up a variety of options to remove all equipment or clear appearance.

Waltzing Along posted:

He was fun and cartoonish, but it has taken the game in an entirely different direction and I don't feel the game, at this point, is better for it. It's a game, yeah, but it's no longer a serious game. Now it's just anime. Nothing wrong with anime but I'm sure you can see how much things change at that point.

Maybe if it happened much later like the Virmire/Sovereign reveal in Mass Effect it wouldn't be as jarring. But now I know to expect cartoon villains from here on out.

This is a pretty goofy opinion so early into the game.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

My immersion!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I was disappointed when the Mechon started talking, too. Its not like it ruined the game for me, but it was like an "oh, ok, this is less my thing"

Barudak fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 3, 2020

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
All of the ones doing that have people inside them though, so it makes perfect sense! They’re just using what is already there!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I like how bloodthirsty the questgivers who give you a few quests one all at the same time. They're like "Don't just kill them. I want you to kill the women and the children too."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Lol 10 years later we still have anime deniers for xenoblade, where's Louis at

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I like how bloodthirsty the questgivers who give you a few quests one all at the same time. They're like "Don't just kill them. I want you to kill the women and the children too."

I think my favorite is the guy who is complaining his boss subcontracted out his job to this guy and then he subcontracts it out to you.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I got a laugh from that one too.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I really love the future mechanic in battles. If you use it correctly you can end up beating an enemy you have no place beating yet.

I was 4 levels lower and fought Reckless Godwin in the marshes. I was controlling Reyn with Dunban and Sharla in my party. Reyn survived his talent attack, but what the future vision didn't tell me was that it was an AoE so Dunban and Sharla got destroyed and I was toppled and died to the next attack. I switched Dunban out for Shulk and with proper use of Monado Shield for his talent and Monado Speed for his physical I was able to defeat him.

Still don't know what you are supposed to do against Ether attacks though. Fortunately those aren't as deadly but they carry some nasty debuffs that I'd rather do without (cause can't trust Sharla to not use Cure at the wrong time and have it on cooldown for the important stuff).

Also complaining that a Xeno game is anime is like complaining that a Mortal Kombat game is violent.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How do I defeat the boss for chapter 15? I honestly cant find an answer for this and even on casual it feels impossible. The adds show up and then my characters instantly die.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

The start of 'blade has death robots burning down entire cities eating humans and Shulk getting pounded with verious visons of death for at least three to five hours.
One of those death robots being an utter ham and lifting the mood up is absolutely acceptible.

Heck, a bit of levity might have done 'saga the world of good.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

ConanThe3rd posted:

Heck, a bit of levity might have done 'saga the world of good.

Agreed. While I love Saga, it is way too pretentious at times. Even Gears had it's moments of goofiness with the Elements' Voltron fusion and

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I said come in! posted:

How do I defeat the boss for chapter 15? I honestly cant find an answer for this and even on casual it feels impossible. The adds show up and then my characters instantly die.
Could you specify which boss in spoiler tags, referring to the game's events in chapters is not new in DE but it was a lot less apparent and I don't think most people realized it had chapters.

lezard_valeth posted:

Still don't know what you are supposed to do against Ether attacks though.
Daze, Sleep.

Terper fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 3, 2020

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Terper posted:

Daze, Sleep.

I'll have to try this. Does it outright cancel the death attack or just reset the timer? Also are unique monsters more vulnerable to status effects while charging a death attack?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
For ether attacks, you have topple/daze, sleep, Art Seal, you can remind Reyn to do his goddamn job and pull aggro, and that's all I can think of.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lezard_valeth posted:

Also complaining that a Xeno game is anime is like complaining that a Mortal Kombat game is violent.

The goofy thing about it in a game like this is comparing it to something like Mass Effect, which is literally just "Western anime." Xenoblade isn't really any more anime (in a way that could be interpreted as a negative thing anyways) than most Western "nerd media" products.

Xenoblade 2, on the other hand, you could at least make an argument that it's anime in various ways that actually detract from it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Terper posted:

Could you specify which boss in spoiler tags, referring to the game's events in chapters is not new in DE but it was a lot less apparent and I don't think most people realized it had chapters.

Yaldabaoth (Mechonis Core) I get him to about half health and then adds spawn and I have to destroy 3 generators that spawn, but the adds spawn too, and I just get completely destroyed. The fight gets so chaotic and the adds are huge, making it very difficult to move around.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ytlaya posted:

Xenoblade 2, on the other hand, you could at least make an argument that it's anime in various ways that actually detract from it.

Like is it for pedophiles? They did that with Star Ocean 4 and it made me sad.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wouldn't say XBC2 is for pedophiles, but it's just awkward. There's a Nopon who builds a gently caress doll and it's played for laughs.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

I'll have to try this. Does it outright cancel the death attack or just reset the timer? Also are unique monsters more vulnerable to status effects while charging a death attack?

It shatters the Vision. After getting up, enemies usually load up another Vision at that point, but it's generally a different one that is easier to handle. Dunno about the latter.

I said come in! posted:

Yaldabaoth (Mechonis Core) I get him to about half health and then adds spawn and I have to destroy 3 generators that spawn, but the adds spawn too, and I just get completely destroyed. The fight gets so chaotic and the adds are huge, making it very difficult to move around.
I could give random tips and whatever - check on your gear and gems, how are your Arts levels doing, what's your party, levels... but honestly the best thing to do, if you haven't yet, is go back to the Fallen Arm and raise your affinity just a tiny bit until Eleqa gives you the quest Protect the Village, followed by Stop the Mechon Rampage! She should be just outside the village entrance if my memory is right. If she doesn't give it, do a couple quests and talk to a couple Machina to fill out the Affinity Chart a bit.

The reward you get for beating this is absolutely incredible and will greatly help in every tough fight from here on out.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wouldn't say XBC2 is for pedophiles, but it's just awkward. There's a Nopon who builds a gently caress doll and it's played for laughs.

Yeah as much as I loved XBC2, Tora was creepy af and never sat with me at all, which of course means he gets the best blade in the game and the only blade you can't transfer to Master Driver Rex that can do a full driver combo by itself which is the best way to farm for gear and Legendary Cores.

Also on a 2nd playthrough I realized that Mor Ardain, one of the 2 political powerhouses and one of the places with the best soundtrack in the game is only visited in the main story for Tora's creepy father sideplot .

And the DLC pack doubles down on it.

Just...nuke Tora out of existence for the eventual remasterization of XBC2 for the Switch 2. The plot loses nothing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tora is bad both from his awful awful personality and characterization as well as the fact he took a look at the busywork involved with regular blades and decided he needed special different busywork and fuuuuuck off for that Tora.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Terper posted:

It shatters the Vision. After getting up, enemies usually load up another Vision at that point, but it's generally a different one that is easier to handle. Dunno about the latter.

I could give random tips and whatever - check on your gear and gems, how are your Arts levels doing, what's your party, levels... but honestly the best thing to do, if you haven't yet, is go back to the Fallen Arm and raise your affinity just a tiny bit until Eleqa gives you the quest Protect the Village, followed by Stop the Mechon Rampage! She should be just outside the village entrance if my memory is right. If she doesn't give it, do a couple quests and talk to a couple Machina to fill out the Affinity Chart a bit.

The reward you get for beating this is absolutely incredible and will greatly help in every tough fight from here on out.

im locked out of fast travel until I beat this boss, so I might be poo poo out of luck here. :(

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

lezard_valeth posted:

I really love the future mechanic in battles. If you use it correctly you can end up beating an enemy you have no place beating yet.

I was 4 levels lower and fought Reckless Godwin in the marshes. I was controlling Reyn with Dunban and Sharla in my party. Reyn survived his talent attack, but what the future vision didn't tell me was that it was an AoE so Dunban and Sharla got destroyed and I was toppled and died to the next attack. I switched Dunban out for Shulk and with proper use of Monado Shield for his talent and Monado Speed for his physical I was able to defeat him.

Still don't know what you are supposed to do against Ether attacks though. Fortunately those aren't as deadly but they carry some nasty debuffs that I'd rather do without (cause can't trust Sharla to not use Cure at the wrong time and have it on cooldown for the important stuff).

I died my first try on him. Tried again a level later and made sure to be able to use my future poo poo. He did it two times in a row and on the second I was still on cooldown. So gonna go back when I'm higher level than him.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
when you're revving up for a "Dunban is daddy" post but you look up the character ages and realise he's younger than you

Homora Gaykemi fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 3, 2020

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

Yes, this confused me for a bit. Pressing some button (Forget which, but it's listed on the screen) brings up a variety of options to remove all equipment or clear appearance

"+" pulls up a menu that lets you remove the selected item. It's well hidden lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How are people using Shulk's Monado evade skill (if at all)? For some reason I barely remember that at all from when I first played this. Against the boss where you receive the skill it felt a little awkward, because you're basically forced to use the "let your party members hurt Mechon aura" ability every other Monado skill, and I wasn't sure whether it was worth using on Reyn as tank. The only times I felt like using it was maybe a clearly good idea were when Sharla was almost dead.

Also, how does CPU Reyn use skills like Guard Shift or Berserker? Those both involve trade-offs (so using them at the wrong time can be a bad or worthless thing), so I'm not sure how the computer decides.

By the way, I'm trying the JP voices (just for something different - I did the same thing when playing Persona 5 Royal) and in that Sharla is Karla. The JP voices have actually grown on me a good deal. Sharla and Reyn are both really good, and Shulk is actually fine now that I've gotten used to it; his voice is notably distinct from a more "boy-ish" voice like Rex's in XBC2. I was curious to hear hammer Face Mechon guy whose name starts with an X (forgot his name), and his voice also fits well.

Defiance Industries posted:

Like is it for pedophiles? They did that with Star Ocean 4 and it made me sad.

It's more that the main woman love interest character(s) wear very revealing costumes with huge tits and have pretty generic "anime girl" personalities (though Hikari is at least good/interesting occasionally and doesn't quite reach "abusive" levels of tsundere), made even more awkward by the fact that the protagonist is like 13 years old and looks his age. That romance is absolutely ethically dubious (especially since the love interest(s) are like hundreds of years old or something, so I guess there is pedophilia, but in reverse from what you'd expect). A couple of the other party members are actually quite good, but having a couple of the most important characters look so ridiculous can really take you out of things.

I still enjoyed the hell out of it, but I can at least understand someone having a "too anime" objection to it. It's hard to really understand that kind of complaint with 1 though, unless someone is just inherently bothered by anything that remotely looks "anime" in visual style.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
'blade 2 is a good game with a dubious dub that reaches for its predicessor's style and falls short.

However, some some bizzare character design decisions (Obstensively chasing after the gatchapon theming of its class system, something I like in concept but I can understand how its execution leaves people cold) that kill the conversion about the game stone dead.

"Yeah but Tora's a creep" and "Dood, Dehilia is a pair of breasts with the bare minimum amout of woman attached to them" is the death knell of any talk about that game.

Thing is, though, Monolith have been plenty fine to try something new with each Xeno game so I'm confident whatever shape a hypothetical 'blade 3 (or new Xeno series) take will probably not have the same trappings as 'blade 2 as was the case with 'blade X and 'blade itself (and 'saga, which couldn't even keep its design style stright between it's entries, and 'gears)

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jun 3, 2020

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

ConanThe3rd posted:

a dubious dub

excuse you, any dub that gives me as perfect a mouthy Welshwoman as Nia is beyond reproach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It's very much a land of contrasts. For every Nia there's a Rex.