Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

i am harry posted:

So I finally bought this on sale and things are going well so far, except that it won’t run properly in full screen mode: after robbing flour and alcohol from the only house in the town, I sold them and bought a house and then while repairing it noticed a bunch of blood on a hill outside town. All but two of a group of hungry bandits died to some bone dogs. The survivors were both crippled and dragging themselves feebly around... so I looted a horse chopper from the dead leaders corpse and hacked them to death :shobon:

They had families.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

horse chopper? whats a horse?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

So then I ran north to that holy nation place called Stack, and I talked to the head guy who had a pretty important title and a group of bandits hit the gate. After being knocked out they were all imprisoned in a room within the same building as this fellow, and after one prisoner escaped he ran off to put them down, so I stole a katana and a wakizashi he had on display and then ran back to the Hub. :shobon:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Flavahbeast posted:

horse chopper? whats a horse?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Here is my Ultimate Write Up if you want to skip the part of the game where you're aimlessly mining rocks for cash and just sort of mindlessly trying to find something productive that's actually doable

Go to The Hub and recruit Hobbs. Hobbs starts with a decent athletics skill and a pair of shoes which makes him fast, fast enough that you can outrun a good deal of threats (just make sure to turn on passive mode so he doesn't try and fight enemies while he runs away). Leave your main character at The Hub, and end Hobbs south and slightly west to Squin, find Ruka and recruit her for free. Unequip/Sell her boots and her sword and possibly her shirt. Run both of them all the way north into the Floodlands and find Burn's Tower near the top. Recruit Burn and loot everything inside that's valuable. Very carefully head east from the tower to find the hidden ninja village (Flotsam Village) and sell all your good loot. Let that group rest for now.

Back in Hub, have your MC move east across the river and find the Waystation filled with Tech Hunters. With your cash, wait until evening and go to the bar to recruit two mercenary groups for two days. Take them north to the Dust King Tower, break in, and have them slaughter everyone inside. You have to do this at night, if you go during the day you'll lose, but at night it's an easy win. Loot the tower, claim your free unit at the top, bandage the Dust King up so he doesn't bleed to death, and then carry him to Squin to drop him in jail and claim your money. With your cash, jump back to the hidden ninja village with your Burns/Ruka/Hobbs and recruit everyone in town, because all the non-generic units here - Digna, Knife, Pia, Reva. All of them are great. Now, look at how many cats you have - if you have more than 6,000 and a little buffer for food money, have your team in Squin recruit Kang.

Now, have all your units brave the Foglands and converge on Mongrel. If any character has boots on that reduce speed, or is above the lowest weight limit, sell the gear - you need to be able to outrun the Fogmen. Once everyone is inside, grab your last batch of units - Beep, Shryke, and Crumblejon. Now come the fun/dangerous part. Go out in search of an unconscious fogman near the gates of town. Pick one up, and bring it to one of the Fogman death yards, preferably one that is directly outside of town. Put the fogman on a pike and wait for princes to come by and start eating it - as long as they don't aggro onto you from fighting, the enemies will not stop eating and praying. Send one (or if you're brave, a lot) of your units and start trying to use Knock Out on the Fogman Heavies that are hanging around. There is a very very low percentage change that they will aggro you if you do this, so run if it does happen, but otherwise keep doing it over and over until you skill is high enough that it works. Put the K.O.'d heavy on a pike. Keep refilling the pikes with unconscious fogmen. Once you've got a nice stack of pikes fulled up, take your entire team and have them start sneaking around. You'll gain sneaking levels insanely fast as you're constantly doing stealth checks against the entire crowd that has gathered. You can easily get to 80+ stealth in like five minutes. 90+ stealth makes you functionally invisible at night, so get a few units over that cap for future shenanigans. During this process, start doing knock outs on the Fogmen princes and stealing their heads. Don't worry about leaving one alive, others will take its place. Each head is worth a ton of cats, so just start a collection. You can endlessly repeat this until you're happy with the amount of skill levels and cash you've made.

So, now you have a well-funded team of units who can stealth their way around random encounters without getting ganked. If you want one final push towards power, buy three or so sets of Tools from the tool shop and head north towards Obedience. Find the ancient lab and break open the main door. Send just one person inside and keep everyone else near the foot of the tower. Make sure you lockpick the gate, don't break it down. Send your unit inside and lure all the spider guards outside to ground level. Drag them far enough for your team to get inside, the run back in and close the gate behind you. The spider AI will break and they'll wander off. Go inside and loot everything and break into the more difficult storage chests with your Tool sets. You should now have even MORE cash, plus some science books and MAYBE an AI core if you're lucky. At this point, you can buy a big house in Mongrel and set up a research station there and start unlocking tech trees without fear of getting raided. The town has tons of shops to get items you need for researching. At this point, if you really wanted to, research Walls 2 and turrets, hire two sets of Tech Hunters, and you could easily start your own base in one of the safer regions like Okran's Pride. From there, you've got WAY more options, and your mining will be much more useful since you can convert the ore into weapons and armor which you can sell while also boosting your craftsman's levels.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah mining rocks is the pits. Don't do that to start your experience. That's something you get peons to do when you have a self-sustaining base going.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Genesis Project peeps. I can't find a house for sale in the hub or Squin. Am I missing something obvious or do some towns just not have buildings for sale? I've reached the point where I'm ready to do some research and start prepping my own camp but without a home base to begin with start up is proving difficult.

Do I need to leave the borderlands to buy a house or am I a fool?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Hub has no houses for sale. Squin has (iirc) at least three, two of which are collapsed

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Was that changed at some point, because I'm pretty sure you could buy almost everything in the Hub. I actually think the only buildings you couldn't buy were the bar and the Thieves tower.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I think you're right, I misremembered.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007

Redundant posted:

Genesis Project peeps. I can't find a house for sale in the hub or Squin. Am I missing something obvious or do some towns just not have buildings for sale? I've reached the point where I'm ready to do some research and start prepping my own camp but without a home base to begin with start up is proving difficult.

Do I need to leave the borderlands to buy a house or am I a fool?

Basically when a game is started/imported there is a game of musical chairs over building assignment played between all the squads that inhabit a town. If a mod adds new squads to a town they might be set to take over buildings to inhabit for themselves that otherwise would be available for the player to buy. They also might not be set to sell their building to the player. You can fix this in the CS by finding the squad that inhabits a particular building and then changing the sell building flag to true (this is how I can make the abandoned HQ in Mourn buyable, although I haven't done it yet so I'm not sure if it is bugged).

I play with the Age of Blood and Sand modpack and I have this exact problem with World's End. Too many new sqauds that need buildings, and not enough buildings for them all. None can sell buildings. Now World's End has no buyable buildings.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

The only mod you need actually, other than dark ui, is the biofuel cage. Turn a profit by kidnapping bandits and random drifters and melting them down into 300 cat per barrel fuel.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Here is my Ultimate Write Up if you want to skip the part of the game where you're aimlessly mining rocks for cash and just sort of mindlessly trying to find something productive that's actually doable.

Thanks for this, I followed it pretty closely.
The Dust King ran out of his tower and chased me alone the first time I went there. Ran him straight into myhired mercs. Later, there were so many frog princes showing up that I ended up with about 20 of their heads.
I’ve just run my first character naked and alone except for a ninja backpack into Arach, and snuck into the Bugmaster’s tower. Knocked him out and then walked out with him on my shoulder just faster than All . Those . Spiders.

I’m currently really enjoying the Shek’s reactions to me as I stroll around their capital with him still on my shoulder.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

I don't think I've ever played a game like Kenshi. My general reaction to seeing the words "open-world", "sandbox", "crafting" etc is to immediately lose interest but despite that I enjoy the crafting/tech system quite a lot in this game and the unique asian tinged theme. Also the biofuel cage has had some unforseen reactions with my tech priorities; basically what happens is you melt someone down and they leave a barrel of biofuel behind along with 4 severed limbs. You can take the limbs, and process them into raw meat at a butcher table included with the mod. My economy and my ability to keep my people fed is literally predicated on how many bandits i can melt down lmao.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Kenshi sure is rather unique

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ultramega posted:

I don't think I've ever played a game like Kenshi. My general reaction to seeing the words "open-world", "sandbox", "crafting" etc is to immediately lose interest but despite that I enjoy the crafting/tech system quite a lot in this game and the unique asian tinged theme. Also the biofuel cage has had some unforseen reactions with my tech priorities; basically what happens is you melt someone down and they leave a barrel of biofuel behind along with 4 severed limbs. You can take the limbs, and process them into raw meat at a butcher table included with the mod. My economy and my ability to keep my people fed is literally predicated on how many bandits i can melt down lmao.

So you'd probably enjoy Rimworld too

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Cornelius the goat :shobon:

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

I'd enjoy rimworld if it didn't look like kingdom of loathing with enhanced graphics

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Not every game can be an AAA graphics powerhouse like Kenshi

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I'm thinking of buying this game but am worried that it will just be boring.

Is it very engaging if you do aggressive stuff like rob people or get into fights with samurai thugs?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is it very engaging if you do aggressive stuff like rob people or get into fights with samurai thugs?

I don't think anyone has ever described Kenshi as boring. If you try to rob people and fight samurai thugs with no real experience of the game, you're certainly going to have a very brief and exciting time of it.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

It did get boring for me... after 264 hours.

I'd bet the biggest turn-off for new players would be the difficult learning curve, if you can't handle starting off weak and getting your rear end kicked then you probably won't enjoy yourself. I am a chronic save scummer but I learned to accept defeat sometimes because it's really fun to figure out how you can bounce back. Once you figure it out and get to the point where you can comfortably explore the world, there are tons of interesting things you can do, and being an aggressive rear end in a top hat is really fun.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

punk rebel ecks posted:

Play the demo.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If you don't follow the weird advice of "just mine at the start for 10 hours" i think you'll be fine.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

You only mine if you're starving

otherwise fight for that bread

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I took out one of the inquistors and have been punching paladins left and right. Where is my wrath of god :mad:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Played the demo for thirty minutes. When I quit the game it froze and I had to restart my computer. :(

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

sounds like your PC needs a little toughness training too

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Dabbled in this game for a bit over an hour.

Very very janky. But also very fun. Feels like I can do anything. It is very confusing to know how to do things. Like how to engage in attacking people or how to eat an item from your inventory.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's mighty janky, yes.

Generally your guys will defend themselves automatically if attacked as long as they're not set to defensive. Otherwise, to attack neutral entities, you gotta hold right click on them.

You don't feed your dudes manually, they will automatically eat when they need to as long as food is in their inventory. If they have a backpack with food in it, nearby hungry units will also eat from that backpack so you can have just one or two people hauling your food if you want.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kenshi is maximum jank at all times.

I finally got around to establishing a decent outpost, and I gotta say, I don't like it. It really feels like this part of the game is not very fleshed out, or at least not nearly as much as it needs to be. The 3-4 recurring events are tedious distractions at best (especially the Black Dragon Ninja one which was just maddening for me because the faction wasn't hostile so they refused to aggro on me until I attacked them one by one while they ran in and stole all my food), and everything feels even more micromanage-y than before. When I was just running a swordsmith business out of the Hub, I could just leave everyone on autopilot save for the occasional starving bandit fight and shuttle one merchant character back and forth between the Hub and Squin to sell all my goods and buy stuff I needed (like strawflour for bread). So I set up and slowly built out an outpost on the hills east of the Hub.

The only reason I finally moved out was so that I could start growing hemp and making fabric so I could make higher-quality swords. I still have not done that because hemp takes a long-rear end time to grow and I've been using all the fabric for beds and whatnot, so I just set up the level 1 smiths to churn out swords for food money. It quickly became obvious that enough people to run a smithy in an established city is not enough people to run an entire town, so I recruited up a bunch of folks and have been trying to train them to some degree of competence. However, this is incredibly time-consuming and micromanaging-heavy because aside from having them train melee attack up to 15 on dummies, everything else has to be done manually.

I did set up a training arena and filled a bunch of cages with bandits and dust bosses (from the endless suicidal raids on my walls), but I have to manually open the gate and let all my guards-in-training in, close it behind them, let out each prisoner one at a time, watch them fight, bandage up themselves and the prisoners, put them away, and move down the line over and over, issuing all the commands manually, and also I have to remember to feed them all manually (to an extent, since I don't really care if they starve as long as they're conscious). And the pathfinding, oh my God the pathfinding! In the Hub I had no issue sending my merchant unsupervised to Squin and back, but here he gets hopelessly tangled up on the environment and it takes days for him to wander his way to Squin. I eventually gave up and just started using the Waystation nearby for the most part, but when I want to send him somewhere else that's one more thing I have to manually supervise since the dumb bastard can't figure out the hiking trails when he's offscreen.

I haven't seen a single piece of engineering research all game (and I'm 104 days in) despite finding 4 Ancient Science Books so I haven't been able to advance those tech trees at all. It feels like horrifically slow grinding for the most part, though I am proud of what I've made so far. It just seems nigh on impossible to turn an outpost into a well-oiled machine that I only need to check on occasionally, and the options for actually guarding said outpost are laughably sparse and basically amount to "train up soldiers like you would if you were wandering the map adventuring." And there's no alerts for hardly anything, of course, because this is Kenshi, so I frequently don't even notice that my gates are being broken down until the attackers are rushing in. I'd love to post guards at them, but I'm still trying to get them trained up!

Honestly, it feels at times like the game is punishing me for not sending all my guys to get their limbs gnawed off by fogmen and then stealing masterwork limb replacements from Mongrel to turn them into superhuman powerhouses. It's clear that murder-burglar-hoboing adventuring around the map with small-to-medium-sized squads is the intended way to play, and the outpost building and crafting systems are somewhat of an afterthought. But Kenshi has so much promise it's hard not to dream big, and it sucks to smash into the ceiling of what's possible in the game whenever you do.

Anyway thanks for reading my ventpost, or skipping to the last sentence, that's cool too

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Kenshi is maximum jank at all times.

Engineering research is very rare, way more so than ancient science books. Those are practically common in comparison. You pretty much have to raid ancient workshops or labs to grab them. It's possible to find some for sale, but don't count on it.

You can set up a (fairly) well automated smithing/armoring system in your own town, by playing with the order of commands and having all the necessary equipment on hand. Don't worry too much about training up your town workers for combat, beyond what a training dummy affords. Equip them with naginatas and wakizashis for maximum indoor and outdoor attack bonuses, but you are going to rely on your actual combat characters for defense more than them. And in all reality you are probably going to depend more on your turret people for defense the most. They are dead simple to train to a super high level, and do ridiculous damage against everything.

The absolute best defense you have can is a U shaped trap area in front of your main gate lined with turrets, so they have line of sight to the gate itself. You can annihilate surprisingly big groups of armored troops once you get harpoons. Failing that just say gently caress it and download a 3x gate health mod, because seriously they are so weak.

I tend to have 2 smaller groups that I take out of my outpost on adventures, and leave the others back in reserve. That way you will always have some heavy hitters back home, and it's easy to get your rear end kicked out in the real world to train up toughness. The only time I brought out everybody was to take on a massive target like a Holy Nation city.

Once you have a couple beds, reinvest the hemp into upgrading your farms into XL versions. You'll have so much you won't have anywhere to put it very quickly after that.

Sparring with prisoners is just fiddly as hell, yeah. No way around that. You are very much min-maxing the game and almost, but not really, exploiting the way the stat system works. I wouldn't even bother with it until you are trying to get an already very strong character even stronger.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My gate is just something for my fighters to stand in front of so nobody runs past them and starts bothering the farmers.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

In lighter news, I finally set up some turrets and started making my katanas with fabrics, so I made short work of the next Black Dragon raid that showed up. And they actually attacked me this time!

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"
Scraphouse in Black Desert City has Engineering Research, Ancient Science Books, and AI Cores for sale--as well as tons of blueprints, high grade weapons, various doohickeys and equipments--and they typically restock in some interval of like two days or so of ingame time. Of course, it's expensive tech, but worth it to get you over into new tech levels and what not in research.

You just have to do a light jog through some acid rain to get there.

McSlaughter fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 5, 2020

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Here is my Ultimate Write Up if you want to skip the part of the game where you're aimlessly mining rocks for cash and just sort of mindlessly trying to find something productive that's actually doable

Go to The Hub and recruit Hobbs. Hobbs starts with a decent athletics skill and a pair of shoes which makes him fast, fast enough that you can outrun a good deal of threats (just make sure to turn on passive mode so he doesn't try and fight enemies while he runs away). Leave your main character at The Hub, and end Hobbs south and slightly west to Squin, find Ruka and recruit her for free. Unequip/Sell her boots and her sword and possibly her shirt. Run both of them all the way north into the Floodlands and find Burn's Tower near the top. Recruit Burn and loot everything inside that's valuable. Very carefully head east from the tower to find the hidden ninja village (Flotsam Village) and sell all your good loot. Let that group rest for now.

Back in Hub, have your MC move east across the river and find the Waystation filled with Tech Hunters. With your cash, wait until evening and go to the bar to recruit two mercenary groups for two days. Take them north to the Dust King Tower, break in, and have them slaughter everyone inside. You have to do this at night, if you go during the day you'll lose, but at night it's an easy win. Loot the tower, claim your free unit at the top, bandage the Dust King up so he doesn't bleed to death, and then carry him to Squin to drop him in jail and claim your money. With your cash, jump back to the hidden ninja village with your Burns/Ruka/Hobbs and recruit everyone in town, because all the non-generic units here - Digna, Knife, Pia, Reva. All of them are great. Now, look at how many cats you have - if you have more than 6,000 and a little buffer for food money, have your team in Squin recruit Kang.

Now, have all your units brave the Foglands and converge on Mongrel. If any character has boots on that reduce speed, or is above the lowest weight limit, sell the gear - you need to be able to outrun the Fogmen. Once everyone is inside, grab your last batch of units - Beep, Shryke, and Crumblejon. Now come the fun/dangerous part. Go out in search of an unconscious fogman near the gates of town. Pick one up, and bring it to one of the Fogman death yards, preferably one that is directly outside of town. Put the fogman on a pike and wait for princes to come by and start eating it - as long as they don't aggro onto you from fighting, the enemies will not stop eating and praying. Send one (or if you're brave, a lot) of your units and start trying to use Knock Out on the Fogman Heavies that are hanging around. There is a very very low percentage change that they will aggro you if you do this, so run if it does happen, but otherwise keep doing it over and over until you skill is high enough that it works. Put the K.O.'d heavy on a pike. Keep refilling the pikes with unconscious fogmen. Once you've got a nice stack of pikes fulled up, take your entire team and have them start sneaking around. You'll gain sneaking levels insanely fast as you're constantly doing stealth checks against the entire crowd that has gathered. You can easily get to 80+ stealth in like five minutes. 90+ stealth makes you functionally invisible at night, so get a few units over that cap for future shenanigans. During this process, start doing knock outs on the Fogmen princes and stealing their heads. Don't worry about leaving one alive, others will take its place. Each head is worth a ton of cats, so just start a collection. You can endlessly repeat this until you're happy with the amount of skill levels and cash you've made.

So, now you have a well-funded team of units who can stealth their way around random encounters without getting ganked. If you want one final push towards power, buy three or so sets of Tools from the tool shop and head north towards Obedience. Find the ancient lab and break open the main door. Send just one person inside and keep everyone else near the foot of the tower. Make sure you lockpick the gate, don't break it down. Send your unit inside and lure all the spider guards outside to ground level. Drag them far enough for your team to get inside, the run back in and close the gate behind you. The spider AI will break and they'll wander off. Go inside and loot everything and break into the more difficult storage chests with your Tool sets. You should now have even MORE cash, plus some science books and MAYBE an AI core if you're lucky. At this point, you can buy a big house in Mongrel and set up a research station there and start unlocking tech trees without fear of getting raided. The town has tons of shops to get items you need for researching. At this point, if you really wanted to, research Walls 2 and turrets, hire two sets of Tech Hunters, and you could easily start your own base in one of the safer regions like Okran's Pride. From there, you've got WAY more options, and your mining will be much more useful since you can convert the ore into weapons and armor which you can sell while also boosting your craftsman's levels.

i just bought kenshi and this seemed like a great starting point. unfortunately hobbs was not at the hub, so I looked up his other possible locations and wound up running to world's end, where he wasn't either, and then up to the northern fishing village. my main character now has 28 athletics and hobbs needs to step his game up.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Sing Along posted:

i just bought kenshi and this seemed like a great starting point. unfortunately hobbs was not at the hub, so I looked up his other possible locations and wound up running to world's end, where he wasn't either, and then up to the northern fishing village. my main character now has 28 athletics and hobbs needs to step his game up.

Recruit a random in a bar and name him Hobbs at that point.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Sing Along posted:

That’s what happened to me and now my main can run at almost full speed while sneaking and carrying a 20k cred bounty back to Squin

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

reinvest the hemp into upgrading your farms into XL versions. You'll have so much you won't have anywhere to put it very quickly after that.

I have so much drat hemp from this Y-House I had to build two buildings worth of fabric auto-looms and I still stuff 2.5k stacks of hemp (thanks, 10x Output - Input - Storage stacks) into storage barrels while two of my grungy, combat-weary world-worn sumbitches trim leaf all the livelong day. Don't even ask me about how much fabric I churn through my weapons guy's bench or have lying around stuffed away into oversized tissue boxes or something somewhere out in a shed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I finally got around to establishing a decent outpost, and I gotta say, I don't like it. It really feels like this part of the game is not very fleshed out, or at least not nearly as much as it needs to be. The 3-4 recurring events are tedious distractions at best (especially the Black Dragon Ninja one which was just maddening for me because the faction wasn't hostile so they refused to aggro on me until I attacked them one by one while they ran in and stole all my food), and everything feels even more micromanage-y than before. When I was just running a swordsmith business out of the Hub, I could just leave everyone on autopilot save for the occasional starving bandit fight and shuttle one merchant character back and forth between the Hub and Squin to sell all my goods and buy stuff I needed (like strawflour for bread).

I always felt like this, too - outposts were almost more trouble than they were worth. On my last game, I set up an outpost in the Deadlands west of the Black Desert City. It's just SW of that big long ramp that leads up the desert area with all the Holy mines. It has copper, iron, and water access, the iron spiders never patrol there, and there are no raids or attacks. Eventually I was able to automate it to the point where only 2 people could keep the power on, and it basically just made the entire outpost experience a lot less obnoxious.