Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
MRE's, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Big spider just crawled out of my shoe. It's fine I like being barefoot anyway you can have it mate

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Jestery posted:

Prolly Gunna organise something of a bugout bag

Just a duffle bag with copies of important documents, spare change of clothes for misso and I and first aid kit.

Any suggestions for other things?

Like honestly without more information on why you might need a bag it's hard to give advice but if you have meds keep em all in one place next to the bag and also maybe not relevant but wire cutters are handy

ili
Jul 26, 2003

What would you be bugging out from and where would you bug out too?

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

Jestery posted:

Just a duffle bag with copies of important documents, spare change of clothes for misso and I and first aid kit.

do you live in bush or scrubby area? If so I'd say some masks and stuff to help get through if you're bugging out from a bushfire. Bottled or boxed water never goes bad either.

[fake edit]
Hand-crank powered torch and radio

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Yeah those crank lanterns with USB ports can keep a phone alive a surprisingly long time if your wanking muscle memory and arms are strong enough they're grouse

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Don't forget lube.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

frangers too.

fuckin' in the wasteland is gonna be wild and hot.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Jestery posted:

anime and manga, in the post apocalypse it will be worth its weight in gold

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Contentious issue right here

Hand ball

Who is out?

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!

Jestery posted:

Why, what’s happening in Albion?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

femcastra posted:

Why, what’s happening in Albion?

Nothing, just all this protest/covid/fire stuff has me a little rattled, figure I should be a little more prepared in general

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Jestery posted:

Hand ball

Who is out?

C unless they touched it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Jestery posted:

Hand ball

Who is out?

C

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

My school plays B is out

interesting

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Jestery posted:

My school plays B is out

interesting

That's hosed up.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jestery posted:

My school plays B is out

interesting

b lives matter

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Jestery posted:

My school plays B is out

interesting

If a ball bounces into a square, and leaves it without human intervention, it's an out

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

Airstream Driver posted:

That's hosed up.

My gut feeling was to agree but it turns out the 'official rules' state that once the ball bounces in your square only you are allowed to hit it and you must hit it to transfer possession so strictly speaking it's B that's faulted:

http://www.squarefour.org/rules

careful with that website though Norton alerted me when I went there.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Make both out, gently caress em

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Zazi posted:

http://www.squarefour.org/rules

careful with that website though Norton alerted me when I went there.

smdh at the kids on that site playing with beachballs.
That sounds incredibly un-fun compared to using a tennis ball.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

NVJ is an intern at the company that animates the strike and spare animations for the digitised scoring system. His contribution was "winter wonderland" and "juggalo's delight" themes

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

bell jar posted:

If a ball bounces into a square, and leaves it without human intervention, it's an out

Yes , true but what defines possession of the ball?

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

Jestery posted:

Yes , true but what defines possession of the ball?

you have possession if it has bounced in your square - if it then passes out of your square without you hitting the ball...

What the gently caress am I doing, I'm a grown rear end man I have to get back to work.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

I remember the headmaster came and tried to play handball with us one lunchtime. It was about as awkward as the time John Howard tried to play cricket.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Airstream Driver posted:

C unless they touched it.

this was the rule at my school too, both primary and high school. Sydney.

however if C was to intercept to touch the ball, the player has to bounce it first in their square before the next.

so if C attempted to save by touching the ball (or pretending to touch the ball), they would be out by way of a foul (no bounce in own square).

we played a fairly fast paced 3*3 game where Ace/King/Queen (top 3) get a second chance on an out but have to drop to the lowest square after everyone has shuffled up a square. any of the other 6 players get an out, they rotate out with one of the bystanders waiting to play.

Rolls were an out, irregular bouncing (funnies) was determined by calling 'funnies'. it was usually not contested unless the 'new' trajectory of the ball was considered to be similar enough to its previous trajectory. This was mostly due to the quad having the squares marked with bricks, which were often laid poorly or irregular surface.

call of 'lines' to protest if a shot was a foul or not were not permitted as the line was as wide as a house brick so it was considered fair play.

wall rebounds were only allowed in 1v1 games that had a wall along a single side of the court. no rebounds from walls behind the players.

whoever was in Ace square at the end of break bell is winner. if there is an active rally between Ace and any other player, play continues between those two squares only until a winner is crowned. the 7 other players must leave the court at the bell and all other squares are out.

made for some pretty wild games between Ace and one of the non-line sharing squares, that, even the teacher supervising the quad was extremely passionate about watching and lenient when it came to telling us to get to class.

thank you for listening to my ted talk.

e: reading that now it is entirely understandable why i didnt do very well on my HSC.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 3, 2020

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

We played on a 2x4 with giant squares and a wall at the ace end. Bottom 2 would drop out immediately if they lost. Once you got to ace you would just gently caress up the last two squares with giant serves until your friend got in.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

We used to play 2x2, if you don't touch the ball after it bounces in your square, that's an out there fella

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

Contrary to my earlier post, this is extremely nostalgic.

We used to play on a grid like this, with rank descending A-F, going

A: Superking
B: King
C: Queen
D: Jack
E: Baby
F: Superbaby

Superking and Superbaby were both in principle privileged and at risk positions. Anyone who was knocked from another spot would cycle down to Superbaby with the next person rotating one spot up the line, and the person in Superking at the end of the end of break was the effective winner (though no one really tracked other than occasionally holding position for the next break). If no one was waiting in line, which wasn't uncommon, Superbaby effectively had impunity while everyone was gunning for at least the guy above them.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

My school played wall ball, I barely understand what any of you are talking about

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

We had ace, king, queen, dunce. That arrangement seems pretty common in regional south east qld (maryborough, toowoomba, stanthorpe). It could be in four squares divided up like a window (2x2), but it could also be in a single column (1x4) depending on the availability of flat concrete at the time

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Jestery posted:

Duct tape
Gloves
Goggles
Small prybar, FUBAR (if they still make them) or hand ax
Water purification straw doover or tablets
Firestarter (the metal ones that you rub to make sparks)

Jestery posted:

Hand ball

Who is out?

C, under Novocastrian standard rules. Otherwise you could just let every corner ball slide to the next square and that's the sort of meta you do not want to establish

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Yeah jestery I think you have to find a new school with normal handball rules.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

So like "b" is automatically out once it bounces in "C" 's square?

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

I use the same setup mama did when i was little and we had to escape dv a few times.

Few days of clothes
Couple hundred cash
Spare unused credit card setup just for this
Sanitary stuffs like pads, medication and panadol
Spare car and house keys
Spare phone, sim card and charger, knife.
Certified copy of birth certificate

I have an army backpack next to the door packed just incase but thankfully haven't had to use mine yet but we got through a few days living in the car with the above when I was a kid and it wasn't too bad.

e; oh and i keep bottled water and spare fuel in the car boot.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Keep in mind fuel does go stale so try keep it fresher if possible

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Making potato gems for dinner

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Jestery posted:

So like "b" is automatically out once it bounces in "C" 's square?

Based on the way you've labelled the diagram:
A serves to C
It bounces once in C's square
C hasn't touched it, and it's gone outside the bounds of that players square
Once it bounces anywhere else (Doesn't matter if it's in player B's square, or out of bounds) player C is out. They've got until it touches down somewhere to interact with the ball and serve it into an active players square.

HOWEVER

If player B interacted with the ball AFTER it had bounced into C's square but BEFORE it bounced into their square, then player B would be out. Rushing the ball, not cool bro.

The reason this is cool and good:
- It ensures a varied playstyle, where cheeky low power corner shots work against the kids who insist on powershotting every single time they get the ball
- It means other players can't dog shots
- It just makes more sense?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Slogger or dribbler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Once again I am left out of handball due to being too ... cool