Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

For example Biggs very clearly died in the original timeline yet he's alive now, and the same is implied for Jessie.

Our Jesse is dead. In game Cloud told Barret Biggs was wounded real bad with the unspoken assumption that he's dead because how did he get off the support tower? We never actually saw him die. But he obviously did survive. Tifa and Cloud saw Jesse die before their eyes. Biggs carried a torch for Jesse, so I'm seeing the glove more as a memento than a statement that she survived (she didn't)

Now with timeline fuckery, if she's in the next game she works/acts in the theater at the Golden Saucer, and HAS NO IDEA who any of our party are if we even run across her. Personally, I think there's a fundamental error in thinking the timeline of the game' *past* is changed due to the Whispers being destroyed. It's not, it's that the rails the timeline ran on are now gone going froward from point the party entered the Singularity and wiped them out.

Zack's timeline is completely separate and part of the speculation from everyone is how or even if the timelines will interact. Also, *why* did the Zack timeline come about? I'm guessing it's a Plan Z kind of thing from AC Sephiroth so he can do something (overwrite/merge the main timeline with the alt one so delusional Cloud the "Soldier" never happens, maybe?)

This is all due to Sephiroth trying to take a Mulligan on how everything played out last time. His endgame is to become a god and his access to the Singularity allows him to go back for infinite do-overs. However, the Whispers cannot affect him and he can't affect the Whispers. So they're in an infinite stalemate of act/re-act. PTSD Sephiroth shows up to delay Cloud so he never meets Aerith. Whispers counter by delaying and distracting Aerith so they do in fact meet and do the flower thing.

But our party can apparently affect the Whispers (Why? Who loving knows, but it's demonstrably true we can from the last chapter of the game). The entire game was Cloud and company being cats-pawed by AC Sephiroth into destroying the Whispers. It's the outcome HE wanted. Now the party is the only force that has any chance of stopping the creation of God Mode Ultra Universe Sephiroth.

Really the only good news, aside from surviving the Singularity, is that we now have a chance to avoid the canon extinction of the human race in 500 years.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Flopsy posted:

So she can get their proportions for the dresses she's commissioning duh.

This is the most minute of criticism, but I'm actually kinda bummed that Aerith didn't pick out her own dress in the remake. Always thought it was a cool character moment and that it really reinforced the idea that she's actually street smart as all hell.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

Our Jesse is dead. In game Cloud told Barret Biggs was wounded real bad with the unspoken assumption that he's dead because how did he get off the support tower? We never actually saw him die. But he obviously did survive. Tifa and Cloud saw Jesse die before their eyes. Biggs carried a torch for Jesse, so I'm seeing the glove more as a memento than a statement that she survived (she didn't)

Now with timeline fuckery, if she's in the next game she works/acts in the theater at the Golden Saucer, and HAS NO IDEA who any of our party are if we even run across her. Personally, I think there's a fundamental error in thinking the timeline of the game' *past* is changed due to the Whispers being destroyed. It's not, it's that the rails the timeline ran on are now gone going froward from point the party entered the Singularity and wiped them out.

Zack's timeline is completely separate and part of the speculation from everyone is how or even if the timelines will interact. Also, *why* did the Zack timeline come about? I'm guessing it's a Plan Z kind of thing from AC Sephiroth so he can do something (overwrite/merge the main timeline with the alt one so delusional Cloud the "Soldier" never happens, maybe?)

This is all due to Sephiroth trying to take a Mulligan on how everything played out last time. His endgame is to become a god and his access to the Singularity allows him to go back for infinite do-overs. However, the Whispers cannot affect him and he can't affect the Whispers. So they're in an infinite stalemate of act/re-act. PTSD Sephiroth shows up to delay Cloud so he never meets Aerith. Whispers counter by delaying and distracting Aerith so they do in fact meet and do the flower thing.

But our party can apparently affect the Whispers (Why? Who loving knows, but it's demonstrably true we can from the last chapter of the game). The entire game was Cloud and company being cats-pawed by AC Sephiroth into destroying the Whispers. It's the outcome HE wanted. Now the party is the only force that has any chance of stopping the creation of God Mode Ultra Universe Sephiroth.

Really the only good news, aside from surviving the Singularity, is that we now have a chance to avoid the canon extinction of the human race in 500 years.

This was pretty much what I took away from the game, Jessie is definitely dead and probably Wedge too. Biggs likely will have amnesia and either way, if any of them are alive in the new timeline then they won't remember poo poo.

Aerith is definitely going to die because that's the WHOLE loving POINT OF THE COMPILATION OF FFVII.

(She most probably is going to die in a different way than the original, however.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Compilation was pretty bad overall so I don't think we need to be that beholden to it.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

The Compilation was pretty bad overall so I don't think we need to be that beholden to it.

Dirge BAD
Before Crisis GOOD
Crisis Core GOOD
Advent Children SORT OF GOOD
On a Way to a Smile GOOD

Either way, a fuckton of stuff that happens on Gaia after the events of FFVII happen because of Aerith controlling things from within the Lifestream, so I'd say it's pretty important that she still ends up there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

She can still end up in the lifestream if she dies of natural causes as an old woman surrounded by her loved ones tbh.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Literally the entire game is framed as a fanfic asking "but what if... Aerith doesn't die?"

I think killing her off and saying that she had to die to save the world would actually be the most awful possible direction this could go.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Legitimately, setting up your remake so that the characters are diagetically fighting against the original plot but still going through with the most iconic plot development of the original just as you had done it in the original would be the most punk-rear end lovely writer move of all time.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
If the gang is going to stop Sephiroth in the same way that they did in the original then Aerith kinda has to die, but there's no real reason why that would have to be the case and it would be real weird if they went that route after being all "let's punch fate in the dick and forge our own path".

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

And TBH, Aerith NOT being in the Lifestream to mess things up for him might just be what Sephiroth wants.

For all we know, had the Chapter 18 showdown not happened, the Whispers might have forced the issue of her dying anyway. It's entirely possible Aerith was aware of this hence her wanting to defy Fate.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Clarste posted:

Literally the entire game is framed as a fanfic asking "but what if... Aerith doesn't die?"

I think killing her off and saying that she had to die to save the world would actually be the most awful possible direction this could go.

A dark part of my soul thinks they're telegraphing "she doesn't have to die this time" so hard they're going to have her die even more suddenly. Like she slips off a cliff in Wu Tai or something.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

anakha posted:

And TBH, Aerith NOT being in the Lifestream to mess things up for him might just be what Sephiroth wants.

For all we know, had the Chapter 18 showdown not happened, the Whispers might have forced the issue of her dying anyway. It's entirely possible Aerith was aware of this hence her wanting to defy Fate.

I think it's extremely likely that avoiding her death is one of, if not THE biggest motivation for her. She spent most of the game being really bummed out at the prospect that fate can't be changed, and secretly hopeful that it can. Her Chapter 14 resolution has her telling Cloud he can't fall in love with her. Girl knows she's going to die young if she doesn't kick destiny in the dick.

I know Aerith's death was a fundamental part of the original game, but that story happened. It's a surprise to no one anymore, and her death, even if it happened in some other way, would lack the impact it had in the original. I've had enough lovely experiences in real life that I'm ready for this team of lovable goobers to pull out a happier ending.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Schwartzcough posted:

I've had enough lovely experiences in real life that I'm ready for this team of lovable goobers to pull out a happier ending.

:yeah:.

gently caress :yeah:

Anyhow, does anybody know what they're singing in the Airbuster fight theme?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Proteus Jones posted:

A dark part of my soul thinks they're telegraphing "she doesn't have to die this time" so hard they're going to have her die even more suddenly. Like she slips off a cliff in Wu Tai or something.

Option 1: NGE Rebuild
Option 2: 6th HGW
Option 3: Steins;Gate micro-loops

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?
I like to think Aerith was accepting of her fate in O.G. because she knew Zack was dead (granted, she always says to the others that she figures he's settled with another woman somewhere, but we know she'd be able to sense his passing). In this one, maybe there's a chance for them both and so she'd sooner avoid death.

Plus, Sephiroth was able to survive the lifestream and return by refusing to be consumed by it, so perhaps there's a means for Aerith to deep dive into the planet and return alive too.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

First off, holy poo poo killing her over and over is dark as poo poo.

Second, they made a god drat anime about John Titor? :lmao:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

gredgie posted:

Plus, Sephiroth was able to survive the lifestream and return by refusing to be consumed by it, so perhaps there's a means for Aerith to deep dive into the planet and return alive too.

Sephiroth's situation is likely due to the Jenova part of him, which Aerith doesn't exactly have.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Hollow is literally about not having Aerith die this time so yes, I would rather Square make good on that promise.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Proteus Jones posted:

Watch it. It's loving good. Especially if you're already familiar with early 2000's Titor conspiracies.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Proteus Jones posted:

Steins Gate owns

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Steins Great.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BaDandy posted:

Hollow is literally about not having Aerith die this time so yes, I would rather Square make good on that promise.

Maybe, the second half of the song seems to swing around the other way.

quote:

With your every smile hiding something more—
Dark mysteries lurking beneath.
But I was consumed with this emptiness,
This selfishness, this void to fill.

Hear me (once more)!
Show me (your smile)!
This time (for sure),
I'll see the truth hidden inside your tears!

But I (I know)
That you're (long gone)!
But I (I will)
Go on, howling and hollow!
Till now.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

gredgie posted:

Yeah, Sephiroth was only able to "come back" by using Jenova chunk to simulate his appearance in Advent Children. Aerith doesn't really have that option.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

AlternateNu posted:

Ah, so you discovered the true secret. Part 2 will actually be a Sephiroth trying to convince Cloud to summon him back as a servant during the upcoming Holy Grail War.

I mean, what else is it under the lore of the FF7 universe. It's a giant monster thing, and the only giant monster things in FF7's universe are the WEAPONs. And we know it was created by the planet. And all the WEAPONs were created by the planet to fight off threats. And the planet considers fate-meddling a threat.

Like this is basic rear end lore diving 101. You guys would end up in a coma if you heard the extrapolations for games with actual deep lore i.e. Bloodborne.

Proteus Jones posted:

But our party can apparently affect the Whispers (Why? Who loving knows, but it's demonstrably true we can from the last chapter of the game).

I think the Ultimania says something about those with a close connection to the planet can see them/etc, implying Aerith's power as an Ancient, and her connection/reliance upon the main party itself, is what allows them to see/attack the whispers.

Arkage fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 31, 2020

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Steins;Gate is John Titor's cultural legacy

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Arkage posted:

I mean, what else is it under the lore of the FF7 universe. It's a giant monster thing, and the only giant monster things in FF7's universe are the WEAPONs. And we know it was created by the planet. And all the WEAPONs were created by the planet to fight off threats. And the planet considers fate-meddling a threat.

Like this is basic rear end lore diving 101. You guys would end up in a coma if you heard the extrapolations for games with actual deep lore i.e. Bloodborne.

I think that was a joke. A lot of people have been running under the assumption that it's some kind of WEAPON, yeah.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

gredgie posted:

People do remember that Cloud fell into the Lifestream a couple of times, right? The entire point of the setting is that the Lifestream is both the afterlife, and also a very real stream of life running throughout the planet as Mako. If you want to get into the Lifestream, just find a place Mako naturally bubbles up and jump in. Job done.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Arkage posted:

I think the Ultimania says something about those with a close connection to the planet can see them/etc, implying Aerith's power as an Ancient, and her connection/reliance upon the main party itself, is what allows them to see/attack the whispers.

Rufus can see them tho....

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
He can probably see them because he shared an unforgettable moment in time with Cloud.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Arkage posted:

Dude. I've been on the FromSoft train since the Demon's Souls demo, and I was making an offhand joke about the Fate franchise. Don't @ me on deep convoluted lore. :colbert:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I’m so mad Biggs survived instead of Jesse

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Biggs is cool but drat.

Hey is there something good to read if I never played past Midgar in FF7 original so I can get some context for what just happened. I have a pretty good idea who Zack is but beyond that I’m not sure how far afield we are from the original timeline having killed Destiny

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's kinda not much to go on aside from that, so I don't know what you're looking for.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Super No Vacancy posted:

I’m so mad Biggs survived instead of Jesse

We don't know she didn't! Her glove is on the desk next to him. I think odds are decent she's alive.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

There's kinda not much to go on aside from that, so I don't know what you're looking for.

like something explaining the original plot with the context of the new one existing?

Jetrauben posted:

We don't know she didn't! Her glove is on the desk next to him. I think odds are decent she's alive.

wishful thinking i think, we saw her die i’m pretty sure. and would be weird to do a big reveal of biggs being alive and then leave the jesse question outstanding when it would probably be answered when they start previewing the next game. would be like reintroducing palpatine in a trailer or something

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Are the Stein’s Gate games good? I got a free one w PS Plus for PS3 but then it broke, but there seems to be a lot of them. I assumed they were visual novels from the look of it, and I like the few I’ve played so that’s not a deal breaker.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

steinsgate is a good story if youre into time travel fuckery in the vein of an uchikoshi game yeah. you should have a pretty decent tolerance for anime because the main character is meant to be an annoying otaku archetype

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Tifa dynamic theme is available for free now: https://store.playstation.com/en-ca/product/UP0082-CUSA07211_00-DYNAMICTIFATHEME

I think it was one of those butterfinger/deluxe edition rewards at first but I'm not 100% sure about it so I'm not going to say that was how it was.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Super No Vacancy posted:

like something explaining the original plot with the context of the new one existing?

wishful thinking i think, we saw her die i’m pretty sure. and would be weird to do a big reveal of biggs being alive and then leave the jesse question outstanding when it would probably be answered when they start previewing the next game. would be like reintroducing palpatine in a trailer or something

I WANT TO BELIEVE DAMNIT