Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

hambeet posted:

yeah, we are.

hi asio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

hello *checks notes* busb

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Pleasant Friend posted:

I didn't hear you saying ACAB when those four cops were flattened in Melbourne

All cops are bad in their role as cops enforcing unjust laws and failing to stop and report violence from other cops.

You may know an individual who is a cop, who is your friend, who is a decent person. It is the "copness" that is bad. Being a cop means participation in a corrupt and violent system where even those why are trying to do the right thing either get beaten down or run out.

If a person who is a cop dies, I am sad. People who are cops don't deserve to be killed. A person who murders a cop should go to jail, importantly however so should a cop who murders a person. At the moment this runs one way only, with 400 Aboriginal deaths in custody and 0 prosecutions. The system of policing as it stands now needs to be dismantled and rebuilt.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Even bastards don't deserve to be murdered by some junkie

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Sparticle posted:

I would tell you how I really feel about those four good cops but I'm pretty sure ASIO is reading this thread.

Would your true feelings be violating a SA rule that would get Lowtax into trouble? Cmon you can tell us.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Pleasant Friend posted:

Just because things are worse elsewhere doesn't mean African Americans don't deserve to have a moment with the world's attention on their problems.

I can only speak from my observations of the discourse, but I've seen a lot of resentment at groups that want to reframe this moment and try to make it about themselves or their causes. Its not about Palestinians, or the War in Yemen or Climate Change or Kids in Cages, right now its about the struggles African Americans have with a racist justice system. They want people to listen.

At the very least I think its tone deaf for any white person at this point in time to amplify any other message.
I wasn't going to dog pile but nobody mentioned to you that this is/was reconciliation week here in Australia. https://www.reconciliation.org.au/national-reconciliation-week/

This is almost too egregious a breach of what this process is about to be real but then https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-52869502

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

bell jar posted:

Even bastards don't deserve to be murdered by some junkie

agreed, just don't believe the first reports about someone the opposite side of the Authorities having suspect character.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

thatbastardken posted:

the police are free to murder and injure anyone who criticizes them

This is what I mean when I say "divorced from reality"

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

I wish the forum cops would divorce this thread from reality.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Quantum Shart posted:

Good to see you understand Disco Elysium as much as ACAB then dipshit

Disco Elysium does not take a simplistic view on anything, least of all the inherently complex issue of policing, law, justice and power. It does not bootlick, but nor does it throw out the other side of the same coin, which is ACAB.

I would, in all sincerity, be genuinely curious how - if you truly believe ACAB - you square that with fiction that you admire and respect which presents cops as not bastards.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

freebooter posted:

It's literally loving true you dumb idiot

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Hmm yes the system that lets cops kill Aboriginal children on the streets and torture them in solitary confinement and strip search children at train stations is actually fair and balanced and cops have a good set of checks and balances - Freebootlicker

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay

hey busb how are you enjoying your time in the YPG

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Definitely a good day to start defending the police.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

freebooter posted:

hmm, so when you say 'divorced from reality' you mean objectively correct? interesting choice of words.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Whitlam posted:

I don't really disagree with anything you're saying, I just think "do you think people are being literal when they say it?" is a weak gotcha, since for a lot of people (as far as I can tell), the answer is sincerely "yes". Or maybe it's the forums skewing reality again, since they lean way more left than general society, and maybe goons shouldn't be taken as generally representative of society.

They shouldn't, in politics or any other area.

Yeah sorry, I don't know if I made this clear enough -- my arguments this past page or two have been mostly against polarising the arguments to an extent that benefits nobody. We're basically retreating to party lines and throwing javelins at each other

And it makes it very difficult to talk about real, constructive solutions when the discussion is reduced to straw men - you first need to dismantle the straw men before you can do anything beyond dismissing the whole drat thing

(Which is why I feel guilty about not having more patience and not working harder on developing a more palatable argument style, but.. for a while I honestly couldn't tell if the op was trolling or not)

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

freebooter posted:

Disco Elysium does not take a simplistic view on anything, least of all the inherently complex issue of policing, law, justice and power. It does not bootlick, but nor does it throw out the other side of the same coin, which is ACAB.

I would, in all sincerity, be genuinely curious how - if you truly believe ACAB - you square that with fiction that you admire and respect which presents cops as not bastards.

computer games aren't real you dense motherfucker

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

just imagine, that you, grown rear end non-cop adult, are verbally threatened by a 13 year old. you break the 13 year old's jaw. you're gonna get a nice stint in jail for that aren't you? why is a cop exempt from that?

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

the cool posts kid posted:

just imagine, that you, grown rear end non-cop adult, are verbally threatened by a 13 year old. you break the 13 year old's jaw. you're gonna get a nice stint in jail for that aren't you? why is a cop exempt from that?

The cop felt his life was in danger

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

the cool posts kid posted:

acab, this has been covered.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Aesculus posted:

It's literally loving true you dumb idiot

"The police are free to murder and injure anyone who criticises them." Yes, when a university lecturer talks about police abolition a SOG team crashes through the door. When a not-for-profit writes a press release denouncing police racism the entire staff get arrested. We live in North Korea, it loving sucks

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Sulla Faex posted:

it makes it very difficult to talk about real, constructive solutions when the discussion is reduced to straw men

Tell me about it

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
To pre-empt some dumb “no, he should face consequences” the boss cop of the State has come out and said he had a bad day and shouldn’t lose his job or be charged.

Where the gently caress are all the supposed good cops coming out losing their poo poo at how bad that makes them look and how hard it makes their job?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

freebooter posted:

"The police are free to murder and injure anyone who criticises them." Yes, when a university lecturer talks about police abolition a SOG team crashes through the door. When a not-for-profit writes a press release denouncing police racism the entire staff get arrested. We live in North Korea, it loving sucks

Of if, say, the AFP raided the ABC.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The constructive solutions are about as close to happening as they ever are.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Tommu posted:

The cop felt his life was in danger

I don't know if this is a serious post or a sarcasm post.

But why do cops get that benefit when regular people do not?

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Gridlocked posted:

You know I am still yet to receive what should have been my mandatory psych call regarding my work in Townsville last year for the floods.

You are/were in the SES right? I don't remember seeing anyone identified as being in the SES on that site either so maybe the SES has been forgotten :(

Pleasant Friend posted:

I don't think there is a nation on earth that doesn't have its own issues with police brutality, however from what I understand, this moment is about Black Americans. Not even police brutality to other POC in America, its about Black America.

I don't get the bad faith attacks. Maybe you don't think Black America deserves all this attention? Maybe you just don't like Americans in general? But I'm not here to tone police, I'm just saying be careful or you'll make yourself look like an rear end.

Are many Black Americans going to notice what is going on in Australia right now and be offended? I assume most Americans aren't going to notice what is going on in Australia at the best of times, and I think their news cycle is dominated by some other things right now.

Is anyone who is the target of the protests in the US - the people who need to make changes - going to be distracted by protests in Australia, and as a result fail to stop being racist when they otherwise would have gotten the message and fixed the system?

I assume that protests in Australia will only be noticed locally (if at all, unfortunately) and there's probably no-one in Australia that needs to be instead focusing on what is happening in the US.

Someone posted a news article about how protests about deaths in custody in Australia tend to not really be noticed by anyone, so it seems to me like a good time to try and grab a bit of the spotlight.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Of if, say, the AFP raided the ABC.

That occurred because a Defence whistleblower exposed war crimes in Afghanistan, and the leaking of certain documents was illegal, which it obviously shouldn't be. But which law enforcement agency do you think is investigating those same war crimes? Are those detectives bastards too?

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

hooman posted:

Hello. This was a sarcastic response.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

hooman posted:

Because they're cops

haha no fuck you
Jun 3, 2020

by Reene

freebooter posted:

But which law enforcement agency do you think is investigating those same war crimes? Are those detectives bastards too?
me, and yes

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

freebooter posted:

That occurred because a Defence whistleblower exposed war crimes in Afghanistan, and the leaking of certain documents was illegal, which it obviously shouldn't be. But which law enforcement agency do you think is investigating those same war crimes? Are those detectives bastards too?

Nobody. Yes.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

stay out of pyf this time for all our sakes

haha no fuck you
Jun 3, 2020

by Reene

bell jar posted:

stay out of pyf this time for all our sakes
the fight is in the d&d chat thread right now, which unfortunately is patrolled by main paineframe, possibly the biggest cop on the current moderation team. so i'm not long for this world regardless.

haha no fuck you
Jun 3, 2020

by Reene
see what happens when i run out of weed!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Lamps was an obnoxious arsehole and I have no idea why you defended him.

haha no fuck you
Jun 3, 2020

by Reene
btw i'm alerting you all to the situation, because i respect roughly 50% of you, and would prefer that you be aware of the bizarre smear campaign against me that some pyf posters have been bungling around with for several weeks now. it is totally ridiculous to me that i have to make this post, believe me. but strange things are known to happen on the internet.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

good luck?

haha no fuck you
Jun 3, 2020

by Reene
hopefully it's over now

it had better be loving over, i tell you what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

haha no gently caress you posted:

btw i'm alerting you all to the situation, because i respect roughly 50% of you, and would prefer that you be aware of the bizarre smear campaign against me that some pyf posters have been bungling around with for several weeks now. it is totally ridiculous to me that i have to make this post, believe me. but strange things are known to happen on the internet.

i can't believe the mods are allowing this, these pyf creeps have gone too far this time