Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Though it should be noted that Superman was like the most expensive movie ever made at that point.

When I was a very young child I saw a "Making of" Superman the Movie on TV. Keep in mind that I was, am, and always will be a ridiculous Superman mark, he's my hero! At one point they were discussing how they did the flight scenes and one of the crewmen said something like, "We did a lot of tricks with the photography and so it looks like they are really flying, I'm still not sure how we did it and made it work so well."

My child brain translated this into, "We didn't use any tricks at all, somehow Chris Reeves just became able to fly for these scenes that required it, no one knows how." So for like 2 years I believed with all my heart that the loving Spirit of Superman had inhabited Chris Reeves for a time to show us all how amazing Superman was. When my parents tried to counter with the fact that people cannot fly I smugly retorted, "Santa Claus," which is frankly a loving masterstroke, great job toddler JS.

In actual Star Wars content my Internet poo poo the bed so I'm having to upgrade to unlimited data for a month or two while it gets fixed so I now have 1 year of Disney+. That means that now I can, if I choose to, watch Rise of the Skywalkers at my convenience. The current plan is for a Sunday night watch where there's a drink/toke every time we are mortally loving embarrassed for everyone involved in this shitshow. I expect we will be dead at about the 20 minute mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

JonathonSpectre posted:

The current plan is for a Sunday night watch where there's a drink/toke every time we are mortally loving embarrassed for everyone involved in this shitshow. I expect we will be dead at about the 20 minute mark.

I only drink but I had to watch that drat thing in shifts because I kept nodding off and I can't remember parts of it. Probably for the best.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Finally got around to ROS lmao what is this Harry Potter poo poo

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

ROS is a kaleidoscope of poo poo

The pieces of previous movies are just tumbling around in weird combinations and the moment you can kinda make out a familiar shape it's over and gone forever

On some level I begrudgingly respect for being a billion dollar optical illusion

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Blood Boils posted:

Finally got around to ROS lmao what is this Harry Potter poo poo

Rey literally speaks parsel tongue in ROS, and her being tempted by The One Ring the Darkside and gollums out was straight out of Fellowship of the Ring.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I probably would have preferred Duel of the Fates, if only because of Rey wielding a double bladed lightsaber :haw:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

teagone posted:

I probably would have preferred Duel of the Fates, if only because of Rey wielding a double bladed lightsaber :haw:

You're telling me nobody's dubbed that scene over with DotF yet?

...I mean, yes, that'd require scrolling through the timeline until it pops up, and nobody wants to do that, but still...

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Was she ever actually tempted by the dark side? I seem to remember she like instantly ran away to Luke's island planet

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Rey isn’t allowed to ever show any sort of true character flaw, so the writers had to contrive this concern that the dark side might just be in her blood.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Rey's “big failure” in episode 8 involves a successful assassination of the enemy's supreme leader

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
She didn't kill him, and she got lucky that the person who did really wanted to, or else she'd have walked intro the lion's den and got killed for no reason at all

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Robot Style posted:

It was probably costume designer John Mollo. His early sketches don't have that logo exactly, but they do have emblems with a similar vibe.

I love that he's clearly going for the Mon of Samurai Clan there.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Vinylshadow posted:

...I mean, yes, that'd require scrolling through the timeline until it pops up, and nobody wants to do that, but still...

I think he means the script from the director who was supposed to do the third movie but got shitcanned.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vinylshadow posted:

Mat Cauthon posted:

I think he means the script from the director who was supposed to do the third movie but got shitcanned.

Yeah, I was referring to Trevorrow's movie, lol.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everything about Chewie’s abduction/presumed death is so sloppy and confusing that it seems nearly certain that some detail was changed pretty late in editing. Although it unfolded about the same in the leaked plot summary several months before the movie came out, so who knows?

At the very least, the nonsensical scene where Hux shows his boss and the audience that they’ve taken him alive is a late addition. That has corporate note written all over it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

OctoberCountry posted:

"What about Palpatine?"
"You've already killed him."
"We've killed one, yes. What about Second Palpatine?"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

General Dog posted:

Everything about Chewie’s abduction/presumed death is so sloppy and confusing that it seems nearly certain that some detail was changed pretty late in editing. Although it unfolded about the same in the leaked plot summary several months before the movie came out, so who knows?

At the very least, the nonsensical scene where Hux shows his boss and the audience that they’ve taken him alive is a late addition. That has corporate note written all over it.

You can clearly see two shuttles in some (but only some) of the scenes before his "death" too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You can clearly see two shuttles in some (but only some) of the scenes before his "death" too.

The second I saw there were two ships then just one I was like JJ is gonna blow one up and it will be a fake out and suuuuurprise.

I'm still laughing that those scenes are in there at all because a) they undo it immediately so why even do it b) it pivots on Chewie who has no real personality beyond "thug" in the sequel trilogy and c) Rey uses a power she never uses again

Barudak fucked around with this message at 12:01 on May 31, 2020

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Killing a character only to reverse it a scene or two later is literally the only trick the movie has to attempt to raise any sort of dramatic stakes. I'm surprised a bandage covered Greg Grunberg didn't show up hugging someone in the background at the end.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Barudak posted:

The second I saw there were two ships then just one I was like JJ is gonna blow one up and it will be a fake out and suuuuurprise.

I'm still laughing that those scenes are in there at all because a) they undo it immediately so why even do it b) it pivots on Chewie who has no real personality beyond "thug" in the sequel trilogy and c) Rey uses a power she never uses again

What makes it all the sweeter is our unambiguous ‘good guy’ still blew up a ship full of people. It’s just not one with a character we know on it. Even if you don’t think stormtroopers matter (despite the character who is an ex stormtrooper standing right there, although they hardly care about that plot point) there could very likely have been other innocent prisoners on that ship as well haha. But it’s never brought up or mentioned again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s the weird thing about JJ’s movies is he made a main character a stormtrooper, showing that they are just people and not clones, and he constantly makes a joke out of their deaths.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Everyone knows combat deaths have no effect on morality; only choices made in conversations can give you dark or light side points.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ingmar terdman posted:

ROS is a kaleidoscope of poo poo

The pieces of previous movies are just tumbling around in weird combinations and the moment you can kinda make out a familiar shape it's over and gone forever

On some level I begrudgingly respect for being a billion dollar optical illusion

The best review of RoS ive ever read

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

OctoberCountry posted:

Killing a character only to reverse it a scene or two later is literally the only trick the movie has to attempt to raise any sort of dramatic stakes. I'm surprised a bandage covered Greg Grunberg didn't show up hugging someone in the background at the end.

I didn't know who that was so I looked up the name and lmao

quote:

He has often appeared in works produced and directed by his childhood friend J. J. Abrams

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

A few thoughts on RotJ.

Why don't the ewoks think Chewie is a God too?

Why does Vader know Luke is his son but not Leia? He met Leia first.

In RotJ, C-3PO makes bird wing motions when he is telling the ewoks about the millennium falcon. So the word does correspond to a terrestrial bird.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Also, there are some strong and weird sex vibes when Luke tells Leia they are siblings. Leia is also super weird when Han shows up and asks her what's up. Did they gently caress between ANH and Empire?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

punishedkissinger posted:

He learned the name of the pilot who destroyed the Death Star, and sensed him using the Force to do it.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Zoran posted:

He learned the name of the pilot who destroyed the Death Star, and sensed him using the Force to do it.

He also literally interrogated Leia personally. Idk, it's a nitpick and all of the family connection twists are pretty messy.

On another note, they should have had a giant torpedo strapped to the Falcon for the 2nd death star run. It would have justified using such a massive ship for a mission inside a crawlspace, and they could have had it dinging off the sides to heighten tension further.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The ewoks probably don't think Chewie is a god because he's just like, a big hairy dude. C3PO is made of gold!

The Force probably doesn't grant knowledge of whether a person you're talking to is related to you. Or maybe it's part of the Light Side ability tree and Vader had specced out

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

A few thoughts on RotJ.

Why don't the ewoks think Chewie is a God too?

In RotJ, C-3PO makes bird wing motions when he is telling the ewoks about the millennium falcon. So the word does correspond to a terrestrial bird.

Chewie isn't gold plated, he's basically just a tall Ewok and they don't worship themselves

Leia's not that strong in the force in ANH, she only really starts to believe in ROTJ. But she is strong willed - if she can resist torture drugs then Vader probably wouldn't sense as much with his mind reading, it's not like her parentage was what he was probing for

Ducks are also in star wars!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Also, there are some strong and weird sex vibes when Luke tells Leia they are siblings. Leia is also super weird when Han shows up and asks her what's up. Did they gently caress between ANH and Empire?

The exchange where Leia explains Luke is her brother to Han is some of the worst dialogue in the saga. After the reverse the I love you/I know earlier on Han is like "aw shucks I won't get in the way of you two" it's bizarre

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Vader didn't know he had kids he was made the believe the child* with padme

*since no one knew there were twins somehow

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Maybe the name Skywalker has some significance to Darth Vader?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Huge if true

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Maybe the name Skywalker has some significance to Darth Vader?

oh duh. somehow this didn't cross my mind

on another note, i noticed for the first time that the bait meat in the net trap on Endor has a face and i cannot stop laughing at it

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Haha never noticed the eye. I'm sure that dude helped design the rebel symbol as was in the clone wars

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

oh duh. somehow this didn't cross my mind

on another note, i noticed for the first time that the bait meat in the net trap on Endor has a face and i cannot stop laughing at it

It's an rear end in a top hat with teeth!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

PeterCat posted:

It's an rear end in a top hat with teeth!

yeah it definitely looks like a deer butt

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

He also literally interrogated Leia personally. Idk, it's a nitpick and all of the family connection twists are pretty messy.

The answer is that blood relation apparently isn't something you can sniff out with the Force. Vader figured out Luke's identity between ANH and ESB just by putting 2 and 2 together. Just some cursory investigation should reveal that:

a) His name is Skywalker (he's the most famous guy in the Rebellion)
b) He was the guy Vader saw hanging out with Obi-Wan Kenobi on the Death Star
c) When they arrived on the Falcon, they were coming from Tatooine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Here's a question- was Anakin Skywalker famous? As perhaps the most decorated hero of the Clone Wars and a personal protege of Chancellor Palpatine. He seems like someone who, if not a household name, would at least be known of by Coruscant insiders. If he was publicly known, and anyone happened to wonder where this Darth Vader guy came from, seems like there'd at least be a few truthers out who might connect the dots.

(the answer is that in the Star Wars universe, information travels at 1977 speeds and media doesn't exist)

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 3, 2020