Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
If real basketball ever returns, be sure to follow the actual NBA Injury Report twitter account (the e is a 3). He became an official employee of theirs last year so I’d expect more than ever next game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
That is some incredible turnover, the Ravens really decided to take their shot ASAP huh

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

Remember when I was talking about the Cap being broken? I thumb through the salary cap table for next season, and I notice that quite a lot of teams are going to have actual space to work with, and I check the coming Free Agent class and I see that it's..... really good. Like, at least two pages of high quality (like 84+) players. So, while everyone is crazily capped out this season, I might have overreacted. It's entirely possible that teams made a bunch of moves to get themselves ready for what promises to be a wild-west shootout of an off-season. I'm going to tentatively withdraw that particular criticism. We'll see if that "entire roster of temps" thing persists, because it'd be sad to be the only relatively stable team in the league.
If that's actually what's going on, that'd be super realistic, because that's definitely a thing that happens. Heck, at this year's trade deadline, there were already people talking about how February 2020 trades might affect the chase for Giannis in July 2021.

That said, real world that wouldn't apply to Vancouver. The city is supposedly pretty cool, but it's not super huge (2.5 million people in the MSA, same level as Charlotte and Orlando), they don't really have any tradition or cachet among players, it's a cold-weather city, and being in Canada rather than the US probably would negatively affect endorsement opportunities. Though there's rumors that if expansion happens, Vancouver would be firmly on the table, so who knows, maybe in a decade or so, we'll be able to see how it plays out for real.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Yeah, it's hard to say. A bunch of the guys coming available are only coming available because they were signed for just one year this season (Lavine up there for example), so.... The problem I was talking about. But some of the guys on top would not have been, and would be coming off of big, longer term deals.

It's gonna be one to follow, at any rate

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Bol Bol and William Floyd on the same roster, you are a monster :v:

I play this on the Switch (Don’t laugh please) and Bol’s becoming a once in a lifetime player on the Pacers. I imagine if Floyd joins the Pacers in free agency in my game he’s gonna be the Pippen to Bol’s Jordan.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Chapter 6, 2022-2023, Part II, Trade Deadline

Somewhat of a short update today, but one which has decisions to be made.

I play out past the All-Star selections and up to the trade deadline. The Honu dip a little bit in the W/L column, but are still holding on to their fifth place spot in the West. None of our guys has a particularly noteworthy great game, but our solid players have remained solid during this time, and Bol has remained excellent.

In fact, his excellence wins him a berth on the All-Star Squad, for his third consecutive All-Star appearance. This time, he's actually selected as a reserve by the committee right away, and isn't just a replacement All-Star. Bol earned this one. Granted, he was the last player picked by either squad, which stings a little. (Although, probably not as bad as Porzingis being selected second-to-last, and by the guy who isn't his teammate, to boot. Giannis ate a bit of poo poo for picking Khris Middleton as his first pick one year, IRL, but... they were teammates. When you're in a small Market like Milwaukee and you have an All-Star caliber teammate, you let management know you want to keep playing with said teammate, or management might get.... ....ideas.)

I said none of my guys had a particularly eye-popping performance, but I'd be remiss if I didn't show off at least one by someone, so check out this random game Bam Adebayo had:

23 and 29. Unreal.

Before the trade deadline hits, this trade goes down:

At this point, that doesn't move the needle for either team, and neither looks likely to make the playoffs (See, San Antonio? I warned you about not re-signing Floyd, bro. I told you man.)
....it's just bittersweet to see Lowry leave Toronto. I swear to god, 2k better properly realize this Jersey is being retired, or else I may have a stroke.

I look at my cap situation for next season, and since I'm thrifty, I'm going to be in decent shape financially. What I notice, however, is that I have a reasonable chance of having only 2 roster spots available, and I have two draft picks blus Bilic coming in. So I could have to let a potentially tradable asset go for nothing if I don't make some kind of a move either here or at the draft. I opt for this trade (which still somehow gets me attacked on Twitter)

I'm giving up two near-future second round picks for an unprotected first rounder in 2027. You may recall that Portland was last season's champions. Most of the good players on their team are over thirty. If they try to keep themselves together for a while longer, they might be really bad that year. I'm going 2-1 picks, but second rounders are unreliable, and I have an outside shot at landing an extra lottery selection. This prevents me from losing any assets for nothing this year, and nets me a chance of scoring big in 2027, and all it really cost me was 2025's second round pick. There's a lot of time to possibly acquire second rounders in there.

Before we get to voting, here are the standings:

West:

East:

:frogsiren: The New York Knicks are in the playoff hunt. This is not a drill.

Here's a look at what some of our expiring players want next season. You can ignore Wright. I can extend him now, for some reason, even though he has another year after this one on his contract already. He's a lifer with this organization now, I guess. He seems to want to retire in Honolulu, which, now that I type that sentence out, doesn't seem all that surprising. (I don't expect him to retire anytime soon, but he was on "Will Re-sign" from day one of the season. He loves us.)

Windler not opting to extend his contract before the extension deadline hurts (although, I haven't gotten there yet---the trade deadline is up first), but assuming I can grab him, 7 Mil a year is something I consider totally fair. I have two A+ Potential SFs coming over in the next few years, so he's not a super important piece like he was before this draft, but one I'd like to keep around.

9 million for Kabengele is a loving steal. We can't extend him, but we have his bird rights. If that's an indication of what other teams offer him, we have to match that contract.

9 million for Bogdanovich......
...Hmmm.

On the one hand, I do like that he's now expected to ask for less than his current contract. (After his yearly raises, we pay him about 12 million) On the other, he's definitely what I would consider an under-performer, even though he's consistently one of the best players on our team. And he shoots the three at an elite percentage. Wright is pretty comfortably a bench player who gets spot games on the starting line-up if needed. Boggy's production is.... ....well, it's 10 points a game, give or take, and less "little things" than Wright. I dunno if I can justify him at his current salary at all, and I dunno why he thinks I should give him 9 when I'm paying Wright less than 7. The only thing he does better than Wright is score, but Bol, Floyd, Holiday and Windler all contribute more scoring.

Valentine is... there. He's a competent SF | PF that rides the end of our bench, but if I needed an extra space on my roster next season and didn't land any big names, I'd give him what he's asking.

I haven't mentioned Harry Kelley or Jimmie Sharp. They have 1 and 2 year team options remaining, respectively. Kelley frequently starts at Power Forward over Ralph Miller. If I can say something about Kelley's game it's that "he passes the ball sometimes". He gets about 3 and a half assists a game. On a team with as many scoring threats as we have, that is actually enough to get him minutes over Sharp, who is a much better rebounder, and Miller, who is better in general, but a black hole on offense. Kelley also only averages about 3.5 points a game. Among qualified players, and adjusted for pace, he's one of the bottom 6 scorers in the league. If you could combine his and Sharp's best qualities, I'd be very pleased with that amalgamation being the guy who plays next to Bol---you don't really need scoring as long as you rebound and pass and the other four guys on the court are doing it. As it stands, I consider Sharp and Kelley to be, if not busts, then expendable. Miller is still growing. I also consider Bogdanovich a potentially tradeable asset. With that in mind, I spend about an hour searching the trade finder, first through checking out my assets, and then fishing for assets that the CPU might have available. I come up with a few potential offers that are pretty tantalizing.

Package A)

This would be a very flexible deal for us.

This would deal next year's draft pick, Boggy, and Sharp to Chicago for A.C. Lowe and Blake Griffin. Lowe's salary information here is incomplete----he's not signed for one year. He has a team option still. So he would have two "cheap" seasons. Presently, Lowe is an A potential player (which is therefor higher possible than 82, since Bogdanovich is 82 and has an A-) and has something that no one on our team does:

An A+ in Perimeter Defense. He's not as good of a three point shooter as Bogdanovich (very few players are), but he's better near the basket, and he's also pretty good at passing and positioning. His head is a potential injury risk (History of nose breaks?) being Red. However, Boggy's entire body is yellow. So I think overall Lowe's actually less likely to be injured than Bogdanovich is.

He's not the only part of this deal that's tantalizing. Blake Griffin may be 33 years old and owed a shitload of money, but he's an expiring contract, so we only have to pay him this year and we can afford it. And he'll give us cap space next year to pursue one of the bigger free agents in the off-season. (Who are.......a bunch of Cs and SFs.... I checked. So a bit disappointing that the shootout free agency doesn't really apply to us very well) With his overall rating, though, Blake would take over from Kelley at PF immediately, and what I really like about him, is that he can score the ball, but he's also actually better than Kelley at the one thing Kelley is particularly good at: Passing. Blake Griffin is an elite passer for a Power Forward. He'd be a massive improvement in a year we're set to make the playoffs, gives us a bunch of money to play with next season, and potentially might re-sign with us for quite a bit less if he turns out to be a valuable contributor. If the stars align, this is probably the trade most likely to make us potential champions soon, while not mortgaging our future.

Losing a first round pick would sting, but if we're as good next season as we are this one, it might not be worth very much anyhow.

Package B)

Very similar to package A, only, instead of Sharp, we'd be giving up JaVale McGee, who has gotten zero minutes of playing time this season, and can't pass his badges onto Kelley because the game is a burning, barely playable garbage fire. We wouldn't get the tantalizing flexibility that a season of Griffin would be, but instead, we get another promising young PF, one with more potential than Kelley or Sharp. He doesn't pass as well as Kelley, and he doesn't rebound as well as Sharp, but he's better than either at scoring, and would give us a big guy that was willing to come away from the basket on defense----that's a pretty exciting thing to think about pairing up with Bol. This package gives us a squad that could grow together, and makes us significantly better at defending the perimeter.

Package C)

Sharp and a Draft Pick for Norman Powell
Not much to say here. For a player who has peaked and gets very few minutes, plus opting out of the draft next year, I get a player who is roughly as good as Bogdanovich, who is attached to a contract that is similar to what Bogdanovich will ask for in the off-season. By itself, this package would give us a rotational player or a starter, and insurance if I low-ball offer Boggy and he walks.

And then there was
Package D)

Harry Kelley and Bogdanovich for Kelly Olynyk and Rudy loving Gobert. And Gobert is on contract for two seasons. Yeah, remember how we're one of the worst teams in the league in Interior Defense and rebounding? I can change that. Gobert and Bol are both natural Centers, but I don't give a gently caress. I could slide one of the two over to PF and try to make them co-exist. Bol is an elite scorer, easily the best center in the entire league on offense. Gobert is easily the best center in the entire league on defense. Bol primarily plays from deep, but can score from anywhere at will. Gobert doesn't have a lot of range, and primarily stays near the basket, so it won't gently caress up spacing. He doesn't really pass, he doesn't score all that often, but, like Bol, Gobert is an elite offensive talent. ----Gobert sets better screens than anyone in the league (except apparently Domantas Sabonis). Check out real life Gobert for the season. Specifically, check under where it says "Screen assists." Notice that Gobert and Sabonis are almost 2 ahead of the person behind them. I'm going to make a basketball nerd post immediately after this post to get really out there in stats territory.

The point is this: even though they're both Cs, I think I can successfully play Gobert and Bol together, and instead of them getting in each other's way, I actually think they're a match made in Heaven. Or maybe Hell. They're both among the league's elite in blocks. Olynyk is good enough to be in our rotation. The best part about Package D, though? It's compatible with Package C.

This would be a gamble. I think the Blake Griffin deal has a better chance of working, but the C+D deal would have the best odds of us winning it all soon if it worked.

So we have a choice of six extremely valid options to choose from:

:siren: VOTING TIME :siren:

A)Package A
B)Package B
C)Package C
D)Package D
E)Package C
and Package D
F)Don't Trade
(Team chemistry is pretty drat important)

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

E

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
E

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So I was incredibly stoked to see that NBA.com started actually keeping track of what they call "Screen assists". I used to call them "off-ball assists" and, while I never kept track of them myself, aside from the eyeball test, I did notice that some players seemed quite a bit better at screens than others. I wrote to the NBA, NBA.com, and sports writers for years asking them to keep track of this. (Then, once they did, promptly not notice that they had started) For those that don't know what it is, a "Screen Assist" is an attempt to keep track of an off-ball player's contribution to the offense by calculating how many times he freed up a teammate for a score by setting a good screen. And it makes sense. It's arguably just as important to a teammate's score as an actual pass is, but it was never kept track of. Now that we do keep track of it, it's fairly easy to see that some players are better at it than others, and players that do set good screens are contributing to the offense, even if they're not scoring a ton of points themselves.

I badly want to know how many of these DeAndre Jordan got in the three seasons between 2013 and 2016. NBA.com only keeps track going back to 2016-2017. I want to know how many Tyson Chandler had during his career. I have a theory. (Technically, a hypothesis, if you want to be a pedantic rear end)

DeAndre Jordan has the highest career 2ptFG% in NBA history. And it's not even close. He's got 3% on the next closest person to him, who coincidentally happens to be Rudy Gobert. And Gobert has 5% more than the third place all-time. The separation there is extreme. Think of how many players have been in the league that we keep track of this for. To beat the second place by 3% and third place by 8%.... that is an insane degree of separation. Jordan led the league in field goal percentage something like five or six seasons in a row.

Now, consider this: There's an advanced metric out there that tries to determine a player's overall offensive contribution, called Offensive Rating. In a big long, mind-bendy formula, it takes the number of times a player possesses the ball, penalizes them for turnovers, missed shots, and missed free throws, and rewards them for, well, their team scoring. A big knock on this stat is that it rewards low usage players too heavily. That, since a player who rarely touches the ball, well, rarely touches the ball, they have less chances of making a mistake. So low usage cleanup players, who get a lot of offensive rebounds are somewhat overvalued compared to someone like Shaq, who is the entire focal point of the offense. I sometimes think the entire point that this criticism exists is because, according to Offensive Rating, DeAndre Jordan is the third best offensive player of all time. Which is insane, right?

...........but.....

But, he doesn't handle the ball. He never plays outside of himself. When he has the ball, he scores. He only got about 1 assist per game for his career. (Gets. He's still active.) He got a little under a turnover and a half per game, which is a really bad A/T ratio, but......

I'm betting that, if someone did keep track of "Screen assists" or "off-ball assists" or whatever you want to call it back then, DeAndre had a high number compared to the league. I'm betting that if you could somehow look at this stat for Tyson Chandler, he consistently had one of the highest numbers in the league.

Screen Assists are by no means accounted for in oRtg. At all. But my theory is this: if you test for both a player's screen assists and a player's oRtg the traditional way (that is, by taking into account only their own possessions, not the way NBA.com does it which takes into account all possessions when they're on the floor, whether they touch the ball or not), you'll find a strong correlation between the two. And my reasoning is, Players that free up their teammates to score don't need to have possession. So guys like DeAndre, Gobert, Chandler, they can limit themselves to the best shots, usually dunks or layups. This is also why I think the original way of calculating oRtg makes a lot more sense than the "all possessions count" method; it's sort of like looking at the negative space of a painting. Players that consistently screen well deserve their lopsided oRtg.

NBA.com doesn't actually make it clear if its stat keeps track of scores for the player with the ball, or a third player receiving a pass or both. I found an article that implies both, but I refuse to believe that the league leader is only 7 of those a game if it actually tracks both. It's a fairly new stat to keep track of, and I think things get missed. Furthermore:

I don't think it's statistical noise that DeAndre Jordan is #3 career oRtg. I think he's a generational offensive talent. You have to look at all the negative space to see the full picture.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 2, 2020

hot salad
Jun 25, 2005

Did you just say
the word 'scoff'?
Voting E with priority on the Gobert deal, just in case the other offer changes/goes away after you get Rudy (aka Patient Zero). If Bol’s game is more outside/high post, I don’t think Griffin would fit since he kinda uses the same space.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
I support plan E, mainly because we need to isolate Rudy Gobert from the rest of society as soon as possible to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Thordain posted:

I support plan E, mainly because we need to isolate Rudy Gobert from the rest of society as soon as possible to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

Already addressed:

quote:

Around this time, two major events kick off in relation to the world or the NBA, the first, of course, is that the world has a global health scare when a very deadly, very infectious new virus is detected in China and begins to spread rapidly. The US response is swift and sure, and President Rodman (R) takes immediate action, pumping funds into the CDC and beginning early production on medical supplies, ventilators, n95 masks, and "enough toilet paper to wipe God's own rear end". One of the President's main critics, the New York Times, wrote:
"...when the Republicans nominated the troubled Rodman, the world collectively held its breath and went on holding it all the way through election day until now. His response to his presidency's greatest challenge has been nothing short of admirable. One imagines another, darker world, where the nominee and eventual president was someone just as unqualified and ridiculous, with a similar checkered past including allegations of sexual assault. It is doubtful that any other America would have elected someone with similarly bizarre hair, but it is easy to imagine they elevated someone just as prone to barely comprehensible media interviews, and who also shares a troubling relationship with North Korea--or perhaps Russia, but not both; that'd be too ridiculous. This fictional American President has all of the negatives, but none of Rodman's strengths. He is hateful where Rodman is grateful. If we had gone into this potential crisis with a president who was less willing to defer to expert advice, less willing to sacrifice himself, less willing to put in the work needed, we could have been looking at the deaths of tens of thousands of United States citizens."
When NBA player (and still zero time all-star) Rudy Gobert seemingly mocked people's fears about the virus during a press conference, making a show out of touching every available surface and microphone, the president called him personally and admonished him. Gobert would publicly apologize for his actions before sheepishly adding "He's the greatest rebounder of all-time, you know"

*I do not actually support Rodman's politics, but I thought it was funny, and also, it'd still be better than this.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Just catching up with this thread, I love it. Great work.

I think it's hard to say no to option E.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Plan E, let's go.

Also, what does our future draft picks stash look like? We still have any primo ones coming up from other teams or are we basically set in our picks and just rolling with our own (presumably non-lottery) picks?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

beejay posted:

Just catching up with this thread, I love it. Great work.

I think it's hard to say no to option E.

Thank you so much!

MagusofStars posted:

Plan E, let's go.

Also, what does our future draft picks stash look like? We still have any primo ones coming up from other teams or are we basically set in our picks and just rolling with our own (presumably non-lottery) picks?

We will have Phoenix's pick in.... Uh.... 2024 from the earlier trade that gave us the 22nd pick this year. And the two Portland picks. Everything else is our default picks.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Update may be a little behind. As before, I am not just simulating certain games, but actually watching them. Which...... Takes time.

Some preview notes:
The Honu have banned High Fives between teammates.

I hosed up NBA salary law and somehow got a better deal out of my incompetence. Just like in real life, failure gets rewarded.

Our team rolls deep and our roleplayers seriously earned their checks in the regular season.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Can I request that you adjust whatever slider will stop teams from giving you unprotected firsts for second round picks and/or Al-Farouq Aminu's corpse?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Veryslightlymad posted:

Some preview notes:
The Honu have banned High Fives between teammates.

And you're certain this has nothing to do with Gobert?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Explosions posted:

Can I request that you adjust whatever slider will stop teams from giving you unprotected firsts for second round picks and/or Al-Farouq Aminu's corpse?

The Blazers trade makes sense from their point of view---- they get two worse picks faster when they need bolstering for their roster. They're banking on the picks being good enough and their team aging gracefully enough for their #1 pick to still not be great by the time it rolls to me.

No idea what sorcery went into the Aminu trade. I'm not offered this stuff out of the blue. This is me spending a weirdly thorough amount of time in the trade finder, or team intel, etc etc. (This deadline took me two hours of searching) I found the Gobert trade by seeing the Clippers saying they're rebuilding, and asking trade finder "what are some deals the clips might take for Gobert". Most of them involved Floyd or Holiday. It's just patience in waiting for the right opportunity to come up.

Edit: I get offered lovely trades throughout the entire season, just, ridiculously lopsided against me. And any time I plug something into trade finder, it's usually 20 bad trades and maybe one that's actually tempting. One of these days, I will take an offer that burns me terribly. I'm actually a little worried I did this deadline.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

And you're certain this has nothing to do with Gobert?

Don't blame the victims, dude. Not cool.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 3, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Chapter 6, 2022-2023, Part III, Finishing out the Season

I start with the most important trade of the deadline---getting Gobert. I know changing a player from C to PF raises their overall, and I think Gobert is capped out (and thus might go down if he progresses at the wrong position), so I assign Bol to PF. (This trade gives up Harry Kelley and Bogdan Bogdanovich)

....you know, when you say it out loud like that, I agree.

Next comes my trade for Norman Powell. Now, here I err in my understanding of NBA contract law---because Gobert puts me over the Salary Cap, when I try to trade Sharp over to the Raptors, I find that he suddenly makes too little money---now that I'm over the cap, I have to come closer to actually matching salaries. So I try fiddling around with the deal and find a swap that the Raptors like:

Ah, a guy who has played zero minutes and my third string Point Guard? ....well, OK. Player-wise, this loss makes me happier than losing Sharp, even if he is more-than-likely already peaked. The part I don't like is I couldn't swing this trade using my own pick in 2024, so I have to give up the Phoenix one that I think is likely to be more valuable. Especially because the Raptors seem to think so, too.

My roommate pointed out this fun coincidence where, immediately following the trade-deadline, I have a back-to-back with the two teams I just traded with.

I split the series, but liking what I see between Bol and Gobert. It looks like the experiment might just work, but I need more data:

......god drat it.
This says "Can be aggravated" so I bench Bol and play my next couple of games:

This one goes really well, but the next two are equally huge losses. I ask coach what he wants to do, and he responds "put Bol back in the loving game, degradable injury be damned."

................well, in my defense, this isn't irritating his previous injury, it's a whole new injury.

Gobert seems to be doing OK though, after two games withou------

:suicide:

ATTENTION ALL HONU PLAYERS: HIGH FIVING IS NO LONGER ALLOWED IN THE LOCKER ROOM.

With both of my starting big men injured, and me having traded away Kelley and McGee, the enormous burden of keeping my team's playoff hopes alive falls on the mighty shoulders of Mfiondu Kabengele, (and to a lesser extent, Ralph Miller , Jimmie Sharp, and Kelly Olynyk, who I am now suddenly really glad was included in that trade.

........look at his face, there. That guy feels exactly the same way I do about the situation.

Olynyk, during this time does a lot to prove himself for the Honu. I reward his excellent performance over the weeks without Bol and Gobert with a spot on my playoff rotation. Both our stars return in time for the playoffs, and indeed, the last game of the season, which I actually field my best roster because if I don't beat the Raptors, I'll find myself as the sixth seed against the Lakers, who swept me on the season.

I beat the Raptors and avoided the Lakers. Now all I have to do is... ....defeat the reigning NBA Champions.
:smith:

....What the hell is this crap? STOP.

Called it

25.6 points as a sixth man? What in all the hell? Are you playing like, 32 minutes a game? And if so, are you really a Sixth man?

Oh, OK, just 31

This year's most improved player actually improved and became better at basketball instead of merely taking a whole lot more shots.

Coach knows he didn't do poo poo for this. It's all loving Doncic.I feel like if one of your guys averages a forty-two point triple double, you should be outside of coach of the year consideration. Real CotY is the Ravens coach leading Vancouver to the second seed in the west with a roster full of temps.

All NBA Team 1:

2:

3:

Bol Bol doesn't make an all-NBA team this year, because I moved him off of center. He definitely had a better year than Drummond did. LeBron James is still nowhere to be seen.

Defense 1:

And 2:

EDIT:
I've noticed Ben Simmons has been making a lot of these all-defense teams. If only he was this good at stopping other guys from scoring on his girlfriend.

And the rookies.

Anton Gornev is nowhere to be seen. Did the Bulls draft a bust?

Onto the games:

Despite playing in Portland, which has an A+ Homecourt advantage, the Honu take game 1 in a squeaker on the back of William Floyd laying down 45 points.

And then in Game 2, Gobert, who, until now has been upset with his number of touches (?!?) finally starts to gel with the rest of the team, and puts up the type of performance that he's capable of. Gotta love when your starting bigs have a combined 10 blocks.

The Blazers take game 3 in Honolulu, and then we win the next two, eliminating the now-former champions in front of their shocked home crowd.

....how's that for an A+, Rip City? :clint:

We're actually the first team to advance.

We only lost game 3 because Windler was injured and we had a very thin SF "rotation" set up. I move around some pieces, and we eliminated the Blazers fast enough to have Windler ready for most of the next series.

Not the first game, though. This looks much less hopeless than last time, but that 97 overall overpowered god-modeing son of a bitch is gonna be a problem.* *(Incidentally, you may notice I talk about Doncic a lot. Part of that is he's the best player in the Sim, right now. The other part of it is, he's likely to be, not this absurd, but something insanely good in real life. Three loving teams passed on Doncic when he was drafted, despite him being a La Liga MVP as a teenager. He wasn't a promising European Prospect. He was the loving MVP of the best non-NBA league in the entire loving world as a teenager. How the hell that isn't an immediate #1 pick is proof positive that NBA executives are, by and large, really, unfathomably loving stupid. Hire me instead. I understand basketball. I called the Raptors last year, like, early.)

This isn't my earliest prediction, but it's the earliest one I actually have documentary evidence of. Suck it, every single TV analyst

I lose the first two games in Dallas, but give my team hope in front of the home crowd.

Bol really put his heart into this series.

Even hitting his career high when we needed it most.

We beat you once, you bloody bastard. We can do it again.

.....next year.

....seriously, what the hell is this crap? OK, I think he is/will be phenomenal, but that's not a real human's stat line. And for that matter:

Neither is a perfect season from the free throw line. ....I feel bad for Shamet, though. I like to think that the one missed one in the playoffs was the last one, just keeping him from hitting a perfect 200 on the season.

The following legends retire:

Not pictured: Former Honu player Al-Farouq Aminu also retired

Some big name coaches hang 'em up forever:

I'll say this about Carlisle's season---he might not have deserved Coach of the year, but to win it and the championship in your final season before riding off into the sunset is a pretty badass way to leave.

Dwight Howard and Carmelo Anthony are named to the Hall of Fame.

Toronto does the right thing, and Howard and Anthony are remembered for their best years.

Since they didn't acknowledge Vince Carter, this means Kyle is the first player ever to have his number retired by the Toronto Raptors.

Chris Bosh also never existed. At least his number's retired by the Heat.

As for Dwight, he's actually the second player to ever have his number retired by the Magic. Do you know who the first one is? I'll give you a hint: It's not Shaq.

Give up?

It was you, silly. You made it all possible. (I hate when teams do this.)

No new rules pass, as they need 2/3s of the vote and not a simple majority, but check out that bottom one. That'd be rad.

I actually watch the draft lottery in this game, but that's not surprising, because I also watch the draft lottery in real life. It's like, this insanely boring, niche event that I make time to watch and maybe record, because it's somewhat interesting, there's pithy little interviews, weird rituals, and random factoids. And it's really nice after a stressful day at work. It's a treat. The 2k one, though, I dunno why I watch that. It's always bori----

---ng. drat.

This is why you protect your picks, folks. It's also why you don't tank, you coward.

We have the 22nd pick in the draft, which seems to be our lucky number, since we had it last year, too. Our current depth chart looks like:

Floyd/Holiday
Powell/Wright/(Payton*)
Bilic/Mykhailiuk
Bol/Miller/Sharp
Gobert

*Payton has a player option. So it's up to him if he opts in or out. I actually used him a lot, so I assume he's gone---he stands to make a substantial raise.

I intend to re-sign Kabengele and Windler if at all possible. So I could use another guard (either position) or a third Center. I'm over (or close to over) the cap, and likely won't be able to get a good free agent, but as good as this class is, it's largely redundant. Our "free agent" was Rudy Gobert. Unless he didn't grow much in Europe (despite having an A+ potential), Sasha Bilic comes over this year and will be an immediate upgrade to Windler at SF, and Windler's no slouch. Suddenly being gifted an A+ perimeter defender when I have Gobert inside and Bol roaming, and at least 6 guys capable of double-digit scoring and a bench unafraid to light-it-up if called upon.....

....I think we're contenders. Right now. I'm aiming for that title.

:siren: VOTING TIME :siren:

What am I doing in the draft with the 22nd pick?
A)Best Overall player
B)Best Potential player
C)Draft for position
D)Draft for skill
E)Draft-and-Stash
yet another overseas player so I have the money needed to Re-sign Kelly Olynyk
F)Shop the pick for immediate help
G)Shop the pick for future picks

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 4, 2020

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
We want Olynyk back, we'll be strong enough at small forward to go small and shift down if we need to. Better to get some more backup bigs given our lads' injury history.

Try G, look for a decent deal that punts our obligations down the road, but if nothing good comes up then go E.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

You might have to tweak your sliders if Luka is averaging a 40 point triple double.

Maybe up the touches and shot tendencies of his teammates as well.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

You might have to tweak your sliders if Luka is averaging a 40 point triple double.

Maybe up the touches and shot tendencies of his teammates as well.

You are probably onto something here..... But I also gotta figure out who else is over-performing

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Thordain posted:

We want Olynyk back, we'll be strong enough at small forward to go small and shift down if we need to. Better to get some more backup bigs given our lads' injury history.

Try G, look for a decent deal that punts our obligations down the road, but if nothing good comes up then go E.

This. We’re close to having the pieces we need.

Edit: Also God Doncic is funny as hell

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I should check free throw difficulty. That's the most obvious thing that might be over tweaked. I feel like scores are high in general, but no player in specific is unreasonable, though the last two finals MVP performances were.

hot salad
Jun 25, 2005

Did you just say
the word 'scoff'?
Vote: I’m thinking F, then E as a backup. You never know, someone might be willing to give a useful piece for that pick.

As for Super Luka and high scoring in general, agreed check the free throw difficulty and maybe the foul sliders if teams are going to the line a lot.

Someone in the actual 2k thread was just having the opposite problem with their games all being low scoring lol. Good ol 2k

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

E

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
CUT OUT THE GUTS OF THE QA LEAD AND STRING THEM AROUND THE loving OFFICE FOR ALL TO SEE. GILD HIS loving SKULL AND FORCE OTHER QA DIRECTORS TO GO ON PILGRIMAGE TO ITS RESTING PLACE AS A PARABLE.

This is it. This is the worst loving one. My blood is as acid within my body, I keep looking down at my arms expecting little spots to begin seeping or steaming.

This loving bullshit manages to be wrong three different loving ways.

From most, to least excusable error:

1)First off, it's loving wrong. There's no such rule. It's a 2k programming thing, I assume to have less clutter. The Cavs and Spurs both currently retain the rights to eight overseas players. Most won't come over, but the limit is a bullshit lie.
2)Even if the bullshit lie was true and I have hit my cap, I'm both selecting a player this draft and signing a previously overseas player at the same time----so I wouldn't be hitting my cap. It's an even exchange. So at no time would I be over the theoretical limit. Except astute readers would have already realized

3)YOU TURDBURGLING JIZZWIZARD PIECES OF gently caress. I don't have over three overseas players. Even if you're counting Bilic, which you shouldn't be, I have exactly three. You god drat mother-loving DUMBASSES. I can't have over three? gently caress YOU. You're lying, but whatever. Oh, you can't process that I gain and lose one simultaneously? gently caress YOU. Fix your game. Handle the negative change first, dumbass. You can't count to four? gently caress. YOU. Do I have to Clockwork Orange force you to watch old episodes of Sesame Street?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm redoing the whole draft.
That's not my fault. That's inexcusable. This was a really fun draft that I have to re-do and some huge, "I'm excited for this trade" trades went down that we'll never see because OF THIS DUMBASS GARBAGE FIRE GAME.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 5, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
.....................I traded out of the draft entirely, and it still thinks I have too many overseas players. For those of you keeping score:

I would have 1 (One) overseas player. ONE.

The game thinks I can have up to three.

The game thinks I have four.

I have ONE.

Inexcusable. Unplayable garbage. I have no idea what I'm going to do. When I am gone, someone must live to tell the people of the crimes of 2k. Make sure someone knows.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
That is... baffling.

I don't know much about the extent of your editing powers here, can you play around with changing the state of the remaining overseas player and try to force him here? Not sure what else is left at that point unless you trade their rights.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I fixed it (for this season) by manually editing Bilic's contract as no-longer a stash. As near as I can tell, he's still considered a rookie and still on the rookie scale contract that he should be making.

It still doesn't explain how two stashers that were fine last season were suddenly read as four when there was one still stashed and one coming over. It doesn't explain it at all. This is the single stupidest thing I've seen this company do. This one broke me a little.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

lol 2k, I guess this is what focusing on nothing but MyTeam online gets us.

TitanG
May 10, 2015

FartingBedpost posted:

lol 2k, I guess this is what focusing on nothing but money grabbing microtransactions gets us.

I fixed it for you

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Wet and wild free agency and draft. Second draft had most of the same trades as the first. Every team thinks it is either buying or contending. The league is changed. Should be a big update tonight or tomorrow. Still gotta fiddle with potential and progression.

Guper
Jan 21, 2019

Veryslightlymad posted:

CUT OUT THE GUTS OF THE QA LEAD AND STRING THEM AROUND THE loving OFFICE FOR ALL TO SEE. GILD HIS loving SKULL AND FORCE OTHER QA DIRECTORS TO GO ON PILGRIMAGE TO ITS RESTING PLACE AS A PARABLE.

Me reading the above poetry (also an example of wonky NBA 2K physics/teleportation).

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

you sound a bit more than very slightly mad, my guy

Thankfully, my favourite bit of 2K fuckedness didn't ruin my franchise plans or anything. It may still be in place as far as I know, but in MyGM mode in 2K17, if you hired a good enough trainer, you could set all your practices in the season to maximum intensity and lock in a minimum +4 OVR boost to your entire roster every season. It got to the point where I was dumping low to mid 80s players off the end of my bench for piles of draft picks. And protected draft picks hadn't been implemented yet, so I would end up with 6 or so lottery picks, draft the 2 or 3 highest, and trade the rest for multiple picks in the future. About 25 seasons of this eventually resulted in me acquiring every single pick of the first round, and a good chunk of the second.

I...did not dabble much in realism.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

tinstaach posted:

you sound a bit more than very slightly mad, my guy

This game has changed me.

Guper posted:

Me reading the above poetry (also an example of wonky NBA 2K physics/teleportation).

I am so looking forward to being able to see this once I get home.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

God this broken rear end game. While it is by far the best franchise mode of all the sports games, it still has so many bugs it's incredible. A lot of them have been there for a long time as well.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Chapter 7, 2023 Offseason

To give context to what is at stake going into this draft and this offseason, I think I'm going to show things out of order. Here are the top 20 free agents:

So there's a lot going on. Harden and Jokic are going to get the bulk of the attention, and, in fact, Jokic for sure not going to be with the Nuggets this season fuels the entirety of the draft. How often could a team hope to sign a player quite as skilled as the do-it-all big man? (Shai is a hell of a prize available, and so is Sexton.)

So, since I wound up trading out of the draft to keep my team together, there's not a lot of picks to show off. What there were, were trades. See if you can spot which teams were going hard on the idea that they'd be able to snag Jokic.

A Kentucky #1 pick makes this feel almost like a normal draft.

I want to say the player the clips picked here is an A+ potential but I can't believe the Pacers pulled this off. There is no one on my squad I would be willing to trade for Holland, and those fuckers offered me him like, a million times. I can't believe the Clippers got played this hard.

The Raptors clearly don't think they're going to get Jokic.

The Nuggets know he's gone and do what they can to shore up

This, sadly, doesn't move the needle overmuch for either team

Washington realizes they have no chance in hell.

Minnesota figures nothing

I really like this trade for the Raptors. They quickly replenish their starting lineup.

As I said, I traded out of the draft----and the game still hosed up and made me manually change Sebic's contract. Phoenix continues its hatred of draft picks, this time giving me Chicago's.

I was giving this guy serious consideration, too. This is, I guess, the best name in the draft, too. Sadly.

Mr Irrelevant was really irrelevant. This year. I'm pretty sure this guy was a C- potential, which is the worst I've seen. They could have picked any of 100 or so numbskulls at random and done better.

I know I've beaten this drum to death already, but here's Vancouver's second round pick from last year:

Even though it's a player that was stashed overseas and has an A+ potential and a high enough overall to be a starter, the game's irrational hatred of second round picks makes them default to not signing him. Ravens fans can thank me later for forcing them to.

I wasn't able to keep Gary Payton II, which hurts me a bit. Him walking to get a big payday and no one signing him at all probably hurts him more, poor guy. In the off chance I manage to lose a player (I'm certainly not planning on it) during the season, I intend to sign him. Ish Smith is also gone. I manage to sign Kabengele for 2-3 years (floated him an option), Olynyk for 2, and then Valentine and Windler accept their qualifying offers, since I couldn't talk their salaries down any.

Maybe they didn't get played. The Clippers reel in the biggest fish of the Offseason, because no, a 33 year old James Harden is not the prize. But gently caress it, if you think it is:

He went to Utah with a bunch of temps. Somehow, I think he's gonna retire without a chip. Just... just a hunch.

Bogdanovich managed to be one of the top free agents this offseason in his own right, and scored an OK payday for Memphis, who are annual threats to win the East.

The Heat wound up with Shai, but I gotta think that this would be a lot more interesting if Bam Adebayo hadn't got traded.

Jaxson Hayes and Collin Sexton is quite the impressive haul for Atlanta

Our rivals make several long-term commitments, but notably, none of them are to LaVine, their best player last season during their actual playoff run.

Fair's fair, and one year after us getting the All-Star game, Vancouver is rewarded one.

Where did Zach LaVine wind up anyhow? Oh, it turns out he went to a team that has a ton of very, very promising young talent that's starting to click together already and could be a serious threat for years now that they have a dedicated shooting guard.

:frogsiren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot salad
Jun 25, 2005

Did you just say
the word 'scoff'?

quote:

Phoenix continues its hatred of draft picks

Oh drat 2k can get something right

quote:

Knicks...maybe good? I take my above statement back.